Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirCalSNA
Topic Author

Man Chokes Woman Over Reclining Seat.

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:22 am

And flight has to return to LAX. Things are weird out there folks.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/articleCo...LA-due-to-scuffle-over-6577341.php

TheFlyingDisk

RE: Man Chokes Woman Over Reclining Seat.

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:57 am

Non-reclining seats, now.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Motorhussy

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:42 am

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 1):

Agreed, for airlines like WN and other no-frills/LCC's. But that is no excuse for assault as is alleged here.
come visit the south pacific

L-188

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:58 am

When I pay for a seat I expect to be able to use all the features that come with it, including reclining it to a comfortable position I can sleep in
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

timpdx

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:28 am

I hate reclining seats. Really don't use them, even on SW yesterday afternoon flying to LAX. Not on the affected flight., though. Reclining seats suck big time.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

PlanesNTrains

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:16 am

Reclining seats, to me, have the same affect as when I'm at an event and the person in front of me decides to stand up. It's totally their prerogative, but if I want to continue to enjoy the event I'll need to stand too. On a plane, if the person in front of me fully reclines their seat, I feel almost forced to do the same if I want any personal space.

But, that's the way it is on planes nowadays. And, on planes nowadays, crazy happens.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

N415XJ

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:29 am

My god, what's up with idiots freaking out over reclining seats nowadays? Are we just hearing about it more or is recline a novel concept to some people? Reclining seats make all the sense in the world because they make it drastically easier to sleep. Most people would get pretty irritated if they had no choice but to sit at a 90 degree angle for the duration of their 5 hour long 4am transcon. When you buy an airline ticket you are doing so based on the understanding that 1)There are other people on the plane 2)99% of the time seats recline 3)The person in front of you might choose to adjust your seat 4)You have the option to recline YOUR seat to get some extra room. Honestly I'm sick of the 'muh freedom' crowd thinking that even the slightest infringement on their special little personal bubble requires a childish tantrum. You paid for your seat, you get to use its functions as you please during the flight, just like every other passenger on the plane. Of course, you need to be courteous and not slam your seat back without warning (especially during meal/drink service). But beyond that, there shouldn't be a problem.

XT6Wagon

Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:04 am

yah, if the person ahead of me reclines more than a couple inches... welp I can push it right back up with my knee. No need for any device.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:06 am

Quoting N415XJ (Reply 6):
Honestly I'm sick of the 'muh freedom' crowd

Sorry - what does "muh freedom" mean?

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

N415XJ

Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:28 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 8):
Sorry - what does "muh freedom" mean?

"muh freedom" is used to poke fun at people who constantly complain about their freedoms being infringed and have a general sense of entitlement where they believe that they can do whatever the hell they want because their "freedom" cannot be infringed upon, and are jerks about it when they don't need to be (think of Alex Jones as a prime example of the stereotype). I used it in a bit of a facetious way. In reality, I can understand why someone in front of you reclining can be uncomfortable, but reclining seats have been a fact of air travel for decades and that is not likely to change soon, and people should learn how to deal with it without strangling each other.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:02 am

Quoting N415XJ (Reply 9):
Alex Jones

Had to Google him. I've heard his name before but had no real idea who he was.

"muh freedom" is used to poke fun at people

Not sure that's always helpful, but I get what you were saying.

people should learn how to deal with it without strangling each other.

For sure.

-Dave
-Dave

N1120A

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:11 am

This almost always seems to be a man harassing a woman or a smaller person. If someone tried to attack me for this, they'd see what self-defense means.

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 1):

No.

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 2):
Agreed, for airlines like WN and other no-frills/LCC's.

You really know very little about Southwest, eh?

Quoting L-188 (Reply 3):
When I pay for a seat I expect to be able to use all the features that come with it, including reclining it to a comfortable position I can sleep in

Exactly. Not to mention just generally sit comfortably in. Even more important with slimlines, as their upright position is horribly uncomfortable.

Quoting timpdx (Reply 4):
I hate reclining seats. Really don't use them, even on SW yesterday afternoon flying to LAX. Not on the affected flight., though. Reclining seats suck big time.

Flew Air Namibia to LAX?

Reclining seats are great. They don't injure me.

Quoting XT6Wagon (Reply 7):
yah, if the person ahead of me reclines more than a couple inches... welp I can push it right back up with my knee. No need for any device.

And I can hit the FA call button and tell you to where to go for interfering with my comfort.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

bennett123

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:27 am

Preferably not at meal times.

Also, try reclining slowly or say "I am putting the seat back".

Another feature is that the space under the seat in front is available for cabin bags.

I could easily have my head down there.

seahawk

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:48 am

One of the most controversial features today, the reclining seat in eco. ON the one side it makes the flight a little more bearable for myself, but it makes the flight much worse for the person behind me, especially if he wants to use the tray or the IFE.

In the end you just force the person behind you to recline the seat and this goes on until you come to the poor person with an obese person in the seat behind, which means you are asked to not recline the seat by the FA most of the time.

[Edited 2015-10-19 23:52:47]

AWACSooner

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:01 am

Not condoning this at all...but I'm not surprised this has happened. Hell, I'm surprised it hasn't happened more.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 3):

Well, given the tighter seat pitch nowadays, I don't want "your" head in my lap all flight...and would actually like to watch my seatback TV...and not have my dinner/drink launched from my tray table whenever "you" decide to raise your seatback at warp speed.

On a great deal of Euro airlines, I've had folks recline...but they have the sense to at least turn around and ask me beforehand if it's ok. It's amazing how a little common decency goes a long way nowadays...something the airlines and traveling public have forgotten.

Quoting XT6Wagon (Reply 7):

Guilty...if they don't have the courtesy to let me know beforehand they're reclining full tilt.

richcandy

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:05 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
And I can hit the FA call button and tell you to where to go for interfering with my comfort.

And the person in the row behind can also play the lets keep the passenger in front awake all night. Its fairly easy the passenger in the row behind just gets up out of his or her seat every 15-20 mins and uses the seat in front to hold onto as they stand up. If you are 6 ft 2 and traveling in economy with a 31-32" seat pitch and the seat in front is reclined its your only way you are going to be able to stand up.

We flew LHR-BKK-SYD a few years ago and were seated aisle and next in the middle block of 4. At BKK the passenger who was seated next to us changed. Our new seat mate tried to change her seat so she was seated on the aisle and my partner and myself were in the middle. Well we politely told her no that wasn't going to happen. A few hours later, due to the length of the LHR-BKK flight, time zones etc we were awake and wanted to read. She reached over and switched the reading light out saying "I think we will switch that off!". When my partner said no and put the light back on, she asked the passenger on her right to move and went to find a crew member to complain to.

When you put people too close together they don't always behave rationally. This doesn't just happen on aircraft, there are often reports of people punching each other on trains over seats. Well if you journey to work is a 2.5hr train journey each way and most of the time you have to stand, its kind of understandable that people don't act rationally when a seat becomes available.

Personally my view is people are getting larger in hight and width and seat pitches are getting smaller. In the 1980's in economy seat pitch was often 34-36". Maybe seats that recline don't belong in economy anymore.

rebr

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:19 am

I don't get the reclining seat (and window shade) discussions, last week on a QR flight the flight attendants simply asked people to put their seat in the upright position during meal times. Everyone understands that, and there are no problems at all. I usually recline the seat slightly because the 100% upright position is really uncomfortable on most airlines, but with a slight recline things get much better. It's totally fine to show some decency and respect both for the one reclining the seat and the one sitting behind. If you're not sure just ask the person behind if he/she is ok with it, and vica-versa if someone in front is reclining into your lap just ask him to go a bit further up. Really, what's the big deal? What worries me is some of the reactions on the article, it's almost like people are giving legitimacy to choke someone because of a seat? There are really very few excuses for attacking someone on a plane. Everybody in Y get's the same level of comfort, same service and has the same rights, and it's equally uncomfortable for everyone else to be in a flying tube. Nobody stands above other people or the law for that matter. What is so difficult?

Eagleboy

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:21 am

And the FA will treat you both like small children misbehaving. If I insist on a compromise and make both of you angry at me rather than at each other then my job is done

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:32 am

I hate reclining seats in COACH. They offer no real comfort and they take up what little room you have. I think there is no need to coach reclining seats anymore there is no room

richcandy

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:39 am

Quoting rebr (Reply 16):
There are really very few excuses for attacking someone on a plane

Agreed!

Quoting rebr (Reply 16):
Everybody in Y get's the same level of comfort, same service......, and it's equally uncomfortable for everyone else to be in a flying tube.

Nope!

Someone who is 5 ft tall and 140lb is going to find an average economy seat much more comfortable than someone who is 6 ft 4 and 196b. And I have already said people are getting bigger, both in height and weight, but seats and space are getting smaller.

777way

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:41 am

But people hate hard shell seats too with the sitting part only reclines.

seahawk

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:44 am

Quoting richcandy (Reply 19):
Someone who is 5 ft tall and 140lb is going to find an average economy seat much more comfortable than someone who is 6 ft 4 and 196b. And I have already said people are getting bigger, both in height and weight, but seats and space are getting smaller.

But it is also not fair to burden the passenger behind you with your discomfort, even if the passenger might be small and might even find acceptable comfort in the seat provided by the airline.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:48 am

No.

I rather have better padded non-reclining seats to be honest. Last time I flew long haul I managed to sleep soundly on an upright seat with thick cushioning padding.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

richcandy

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:57 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 20):
But people hate hard shell seats too with the sitting part only reclines.
Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 18):
I hate reclining seats in COACH. They offer no real comfort and they take up what little room you have. I think there is no need to coach reclining seats anymore there is no room

But whats the answer??

The only answer that I can see if that the airlines keep reclining seats in economy and the pitch increases. Well the problem with that is that the airfare would also have to increase and people won't pay it. People have voted with their feet, they want cheap fares.

richcandy

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:14 am

Quoting seahawk (Reply 21):
But it is also not fair to burden the passenger behind you with your discomfort, even if the passenger might be small and might even find acceptable comfort in the seat provided by the airline

In my experience its the reverse. The passenger who is 5ft nothing and underweight is the one who wants to put their seat all the way back (or the little old grey hair lady) and to hell with the poor guy who is 6ft 4 and seated directly behind.

I'm 6ft 2 and 196lb and I never recline the seat, because I don't think there is the space and I know what its like to have the person in front head on my lap. My last two long haul trips have been in business class because economy long haul is just becoming too uncomfortable and I am getting older. However a ticket to NZ costs around EUR5000 in business and I just don't think its worth the money. I would rather spend the money on something else and give up travelling.

ukoverlander

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:29 am

For me it's simple. If the airline provides a seat that reclines the passenger sitting in it has every right to recline it - if you don't like that complain to the airline not the passenger. Trying to sleep in a fully upright seat is extremely difficult. When the person in front of me reclines there seat that's fine, I recline mine and I am have my personal space back.

Foot note: I'm all for seat going back upright during meals.

[Edited 2015-10-20 02:34:15]

Toni_

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:46 am

I cracked into laughter when I read this actually happened on a flight from LAX to SFO. I know choking someone out over a reclined seat is no comedy material, but I was fully expected it to be on a jackpot flight to either MEL or HKG.   

It stuns me how we humans often act as if we're dealing with species from another galaxy in these situations.

"Hello sir/madam, do you mind if I recline my seat for a while?" That's all it takes. Out of the respect and politeness the answer might be yes, and with respect and comprehension the answer might be no. Whatever the answer is, it allows both of us to continue the flight in a less uncomfortable vibe by mutual respect.

You'll find that the majority of the people will accept the request and show appreciation for the decency to ask. I even had a tall guy behind me once that politely said no and felt the need to apologize to me at the end of the flight. That alone made me respect him even more than all the ones that said yes.

skipness1E

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:52 am

A reclining seat doesn't generally impact on normal sized people......

seahawk

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:01 am

Quoting richcandy (Reply 24):
In my experience its the reverse. The passenger who is 5ft nothing and underweight is the one who wants to put their seat all the way back (or the little old grey hair lady) and to hell with the poor guy who is 6ft 4 and seated directly behind.

I'm 6ft 2 and 196lb and I never recline the seat, because I don't think there is the space and I know what its like to have the person in front head on my lap. My last two long haul trips have been in business class because economy long haul is just becoming too uncomfortable and I am getting older. However a ticket to NZ costs around EUR5000 in business and I just don't think its worth the money. I would rather spend the money on something else and give up travelling.

I fully agree with you. For private travel I have given up on long haul. It is either so unpleasant that it takes away the fun of travelling and biz is so expensive that I rather do 4 weeks in Spain than 2 weeks in the US. Add the fact that fellow travellers are becoming more and more rude.

WearyDrover

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:06 am

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 27):

Define normal.

I agree that the main problem is the selfish and inconsiderate attitude, "I've paid so ..."
Basic courtesy would eliminate most of the problem. Check to see if the person behind you has finished their meal or isn't using a laptop. After all, if there is a table, are they not equally entitled to use it?

Apparently not. "I've paid so ..."

All I can say is that it is lucky there is the TSA who, despite occasional lapses, manage to keep most guns off planes. Otherwise this could have had a very different outcome.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

nema

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:39 am

The concept, particularly in standard class with limited space leaves plenty to be desired but where it is available, i am not opposed to it entirely.

My issue is that I think its rude to just recline without any consideration. I would always check politely first with the passenger behind rather than just recline my seat regardless. I dont care for it being done to me, but at least i feel somewhat appeased when they at least had the manners to ask before reclining and show me theyre not just willing to just encroach into my space. Its only manners and politeness surely and, in coach where its tight, many of us out of respect wont use it anyway out of respect of the limits to the passenger behind.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 3):

.....and with that level of selfish ignorance, we all know pretty much just what type of person you are. I can probably think of 100 other situations in life where you would be a true annoyance to your fellow neighbours just because a facility is there so you use it regardless. This, without consideration of any displeasure it may cause to others who, would think twice before taking any personal action that could have an effect on others.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

Revelation

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:40 am

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 14):
Not condoning this at all...but I'm not surprised this has happened. Hell, I'm surprised it hasn't happened more.

I saw an anthropologist saying that he's amazed that breeding aged humans can put themselves into an airplane without chaos breaking out.

Quoting richcandy (Reply 24):
I would rather spend the money on something else and give up travelling.

Yes, that's where things have gone to for me as well. I can already think of two vacation opportunities that I let pass mostly due to the cost and discomfort of air travel. To paraphrase Gordon Bethune, "you can make a pizza so cheap no one will buy it".
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

r2rho

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:34 am

We will see more of this as time goes on. The general atmosphere in economy cabins is getting increasingly worse, due to the ever-decreasing seat pitch & width, service levels, etc. F/A's are also increasingly losing their space to work or take a break (see Airbus SpaceFlex). When more and more people have to share an ever smaller space, the patience threshold goes down, the aggresiveness level toward each other increases. This is no different in an aircraft cabin or elsewhere. As I said, we will see more of it, this is just starting.

enilria

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:39 am

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 2):
But that is no excuse for assault as is alleged here.
Quoting L-188 (Reply 3):

The person who expects that the person in front of them should not be able to recline their seat, while slowly reclining their own belongs to their own circle of hell.

It's partially the airlines fault for decreased seat pitch throwing gasoline on a crappy situation, but the quality of travelers and crews keeps getting worse too.

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 5):
Reclining seats, to me, have the same affect as when I'm at an event and the person in front of me decides to stand up. It's totally their prerogative, but if I want to continue to enjoy the event I'll need to stand too.

Good analogy

LU9092

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:21 pm

I'm 6'2", and find I'm really no less comfortable with the person ahead reclined than I am with them bolt upright, with the exception of when it comes time to stand up. I do have to use the seat ahead for some leverage, but I just say, "Pardon me," and smile a little to myself if the person give me the stinkeye. That said, I'm generally reading or glued to the window when I fly. It would certainly be more annoying if I were watching IFE or trying to use a laptop.

But here's what I don't get. We all know that we won't have much space in the economy section. We all know that there could be a very large person next to us, or a boisterous group of friends on vacation. We all know the seat ahead reclines. And we almost always have a choice to pay for a seat with more space in order to avoid or minimize the discomfort posed by any of the above. Yet some of us buy that cheaper seat and then become angry when any of the uncomfortable things that we *know* might happen happens. To me, that is absolutely ridiculous, and speaks to the selfish cult of so-called individualism - but really, entitlement - that has infected our culture, in the US at least.

You are *not* entitled to be any more comfortable than the factors you are aware are possible on a plane allow. You *are* entitled to use the recline feature of your seat. You should be nice about it, but it's up to you. If you want to avoid the discomfort of having someone ahead recline or whatever, then pony up for a better seat, or choose a different airline. If you can't afford that, then save up until you can or choose a different mode of transportation. If you have no other option than to fly Spirit or American, then mentally prepare yourself beforehand and try to take it with some dignity and respect for others like an adult should.

eaglepower83

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Quoting richcandy (Reply 15):
If you are 6 ft 2 and traveling in economy with a 31-32" seat pitch and the seat in front is reclined its your only way you are going to be able to stand up.

Not for me. And I'm no gymnast. I use the armrests to lift me up. Not disturb the people in front of me by grabbing their seat. Same when I'm walking through the aisle. I don't grab on every seatback on the way. Lift your arm like the flight attendants and stabilize yourself by using the overhead bins with your hand. Duhhhhh.

I don't understand this seat thing. I know some airlines are really clamping down on room, but the majority of flights I'm on, this is a non-issue. Everyone reclines their seat and the sum is zero. They're further back, but I'm also further back.

Something is going to crack though; if the airlines keep moving seats closer.
These are people, often with emotions. Not just sketches in a patent drawing.
Things will get interesting indeed.

Bartonsayswhat

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:36 pm

What kind of seats are all you people flying on? "When the person in front of me slams their seat all the way back, their head is on my lap" I've mainly only flow AC an WS, but as far as everything else I've been on, full recline is like an inch and a half. I almost don't even notice the seat in front of me coming down. I've never sat in a seat that didn't have tilting IFE screen. When the seat in front of you goes back, just a little push of the finger and its just how it should be. With the small little airplane screens, I welcome having it an inch closer, so I can see the movie better.

Don't have your seat back during meals, don't bash it down with full force. But if someone turned around and asked me if they could let their seat back, I would think they were a total weirdo. Just put your seat back, because they all suck being totally upright.

uhntissbaby111

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:44 pm

I flew KLAX-KORD-KLAX a few months ago on AA. Both ways it was on one of their newer 738s. And I noticed that their reclining seats only recline the upper half of the seat. So your tray table doesn't move, as it is attached to the stationary lower portion of the seat, and the seat doesn't move towards your leg. I think it was a pretty good design

YYZFAN

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:17 pm

My last long-haul in economy VIE-ORD on OS, the person in front of me asked me if they could recline for a few hours to take a nap. I was finishing up some school work, and said "I appreciate you asking. Could I get twenty minutes to finish up on my laptop though?", other pax "No problem, let me know when you're done". He was a tall guy from Austria, and very pleasant. All it took was some courtesy and civility on both our parts, and we both enjoyed the flight. He even thanked me again when he woke up, saying people usually just complain and knock the seat.

I do believe this issue will continue as airlines squeeze more in. But with the expansion of premium economy and MCE type products, I believe the tide is turning. People are voting with their wallets, and paying a 10%-20% premium to get a bit of extra room. I think the type of product offered by AA with MCE will become standard economy in the next decade or so. For those willing to bear the discomfort and pay the cheapest possible fare, Spirit will always be here to serve that market. The seats/airlines hit rock bottom, and are finally trending up. I welcome it.

YVRFlyer

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Despite all their discomfort, I'm surprised no one's thinking of reviving CX's clamshell Y - seats. With some minor tweaking to overcome the original shortcomings, it would offer an ability to avoid passenger conflicts.
YVRFlyer

jacobin777

Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:22 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 33):
It's partially the airlines fault for decreased seat pitch throwing gasoline on a crappy situation, but the quality of travelers and crews keeps getting worse too.

Dont' see how its the airline's fault. People want the lowest fare and the airlines are adjusting to what paying passengers want.. If pax want more leg room they should pay for it. Simple as that.
"Up the Irons!"

LSZH34

Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:28 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 40):

This logic doesn't apply according to today's Y passengers.

DXTraveler

Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:42 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 40):

It's not that simple. I get the same legroom and lousy meal when I purchase a full Y fare as someone on a cheap ticket. With my height, my knees are against the seat in front of me. If someone tries to recline they either can't or it's simply too uncomfortable for me that I have to stand. Thankfully I've never had a major issues. I understand the the position of the person in front of me but just know where I'm coming from too. I don't know what the answer is. But I know airlines keep jamming more people in and this isn't going to get any better.

bennett123

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Just let me know what you are planning to do.

Not really too much to ask.

Markam

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:16 pm

I personally like to recline my seat for comfort, and whenever the person behind me takes issue with it, my preferred solution these days is to offer to swap seats (in a way that shows good will, that is).

tonystan

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:42 pm

In my many many years flying the only people I have ever seen get irate over seat recline are Americans!

True fact!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

huxrules

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:42 pm

I only recline my seat if the person behind me has reclined their seat.

VijayJ

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:49 pm

And why do people feel the need to slam their seats back at a point that it stresses the recline mechanism to it's breaking point. I would think a slight glance over one's shoulder and a smooth recline would work for most passengers.

I may be in the minority.

[Edited 2015-10-20 13:51:15]

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Certainly the lady had the right to recline her seat without being assaulted. The courteous way is to turn around and say I am going to recline my seat in a moment to give the person siting there a chance to move body parts out of range.

He certainly deserved to be charged with assault, held liable for the cost of the diversion and placed on WN's "No Fly" list.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

tlecam

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:40 pm

To me, seat reclining falls under the "don't be a d!ck" code of conduct.

I'm 6'2, 185. I try to be considerate of the person behind me. If it's a short flight, I just don't recline. If it's a longer flight, I don't recline during meal times or if the person is eating. I also don't recline if the person behind me is clearly very tall, regardless of whether it's a short flight, long flight or red eye. I will survive. Sometimes I endure. It's not that bad. If it's reasonable to put the seat back to sleep, then I will do it.

Often, the person in front of me is considerate of me, but that's not always the case.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos