Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

global1
Topic Author

Amazing Delta Tech Ops Performance

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:48 pm

Of the 365 days in 2015, 185 of those days at Delta mainline have run with zero maintenance cancels. 118 days saw no mainline cancels for any reason. And 70 more days remain in the year!

Given the size, complexity, and scope of the network along with multiple fleet types, this feat is nothing short of amazing.

Kudos to tech ops and the entire Delta family.

Keep climbing

[Edited 2015-10-20 14:57:06]

[Edited 2015-10-20 15:09:16]

airportugal310

RE: Amazing Delta Tech Ops Performance

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:56 pm

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves...you could delay a flight for 24 hours due to a MX issue and still not "cancel" the flight. I see it all the time

But yes DL T/O is pretty solid nonetheless
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

global1
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Then you may as well add that Delta's on-time performance is near or at the top of the pack.

Flighty

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:08 pm

Says a lot about the employee morale too. Good going, DL.

nwadeicer

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:16 pm

Cool,

We can make this a weekly update, maybe even daily! Should probably be stickied to the top.

DL Marks 100 Days Of Zero Mainline Cancellations (by aa777lvr Sep 27 2015 in Civil Aviation)
I miss the Red Tail

airliner371

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:59 pm

Quoting nwadeicer (Reply 4):

Cool,

We can make this a weekly update, maybe even daily! Should probably be stickied to the top.

DL Marks 100 Days Of Zero Mainline Cancellations (by aa777lvr Sep 27 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Seriously, way over discussed now.

JAAlbert

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:35 pm

It is amazing considering the number of older planes in its fleet. What is Delta doing differently (if anything) to achieve this result? What lessons can the other airlines learn from Delta's achievement?

As an aside, I recall Smisek stating that bonuses based on profitability was not the best way to compensate employees. Is Delta's success related to happy employees and if so, to what extent is the bonus program creating the good morale of the employees? Could Delta's model produce efficiencies and reliability for the other airlines as well?

northwestEWR

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:04 am

Quoting global1 (Reply 2):
Then you may as well add that Delta's on-time performance is near or at the top of the pack.

The haters will try this argument again. It's getting REALLY old.

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 6):
It is amazing considering the number of older planes in its fleet. What is Delta doing differently (if anything) to achieve this result? What lessons can the other airlines learn from Delta's achievement?

Delta is extremely proactive on maintenance and does just about everything but major overhauls in-house. That does a lot to increase the effectiveness of maintenance but also to get the people invested in their work.

Just an example: Line MX inspects most arrivals in ATL and anything found is either fixed or scheduled for repair. They try and stay ahead of problems.

As an aside, I recall Smisek stating that bonuses based on profitability was not the best way to compensate employees. Is Delta's success related to happy employees and if so, to what extent is the bonus program creating the good morale of the employees? Could Delta's model produce efficiencies and reliability for the other airlines as well?

I know it's a factor. The Delta employees are definitely happy right now and the raises/profit sharing certainly help.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

toobz

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:13 am

And here we go with DL delaying flights for 24hrs...so wouldn't that affect not only their on time performance but their customer satisfaction score? Which they place very highly in. Unless you have evidence of that, let's not even go there.

deltal1011man

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:20 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 7):

Delta is extremely proactive on maintenance and does just about everything but major overhauls in-house.

FWIW Delta sends out about 40% of its work.

they sometimes times like to paint a picture that isn't true. IMO.
A lot of people think Delta does a lot more work in-house than they do.

(i will note that as of late more work has been coming in. I still think its a very fat chance heavies come back with Ed and Anderson at the top.)

What is Delta doing differently (if anything) to achieve this result? What lessons can the other airlines learn from Delta's achievement?

Pretty simple,
they combined the work groups and haven't been trying to outsource everything ala UA. They treat the employees with respect where UA and AA have a us vs them attitude. I will never understand why that is the general attitude in this industry. Management and labor working together is much better for everyone.

Still waiting on AA to get its TWU contracts done. Parker, IIRC had pretty good numbers at US and i imagine he will try to do the same. (he is also apparently trying to dump as much MX as possible however)

I recall Smisek stating that bonuses based on profitability was not the best way to compensate employees.

Pretty sure it was Parker. I believe the quote was something along the lines of giving out profit sharing was bad because frontline employees don't effect the day to day operation.

amazingly stupid comment, IMO.

AA737-823

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:29 am

Look guys, I like Delta and all, but..... think about these things:

Quoting global1 (Thread starter):
Of the 365 days in 2015

Uh, run that by me again?
Because I'm pretty sure that 2015 has, oh, 71 days left until we get to 365.
But don't let the facts interrupt our sycophantic Delta cheerleading.

Line MX inspects most arrivals in ATL and anything found is either fixed or scheduled for repair.

What??? That's called MAINTENANCE.
At home base, maintenance does a walk around. That's what an airline does.
Are you suggesting that American, Southwest, and United simply let their planes fly around for days uninspected? Because you're horribly mistaken.
But again, everyone keep drinking the Delta Kool-Aid.

I flew Delta recently. Nice carrier. Nothing special, but perfectly nice.

bobnwa

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:27 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 10):
But again, everyone keep drinking the Delta Kool-Aid.

Isn't it about time that Anetters stopped using the term kool -aid drinkers We have become like robots using terms that others used to appear to be "in the know". How about trying a little bit of originality. The same goes for "fan boys"

PWMRamper

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:59 pm

Don't see what your argument is here. The fact that they've still got 70 days left in the year is more impressive, not less.

Planeflyer

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:32 pm

Guys, for perspective I fly all the time and am not a mileage guy. I fly so much I get them anyway and since I'm an owner try to set an example around cost control.

I also go point to point, all things being equal and only ck luggage about 50% of the time.

Here are my observations:

AA has made great strides but is still significantly behind both delta and SWA for on time performance.

United is far behind AA by a fair bit. I avoid UA if I can

Delta is amazing at getting the bags out which says a lot about employee morale and systems. SWA is also good in this area but for my small sample size behind delta.

5 years ago SWA was my clear preference but Delta has made such great strides I now look at both as equal. Of course in several parts of the country nobody comes close to SWA schedule which is now their real ace in the hole as far a business travel.

global1
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:36 pm

If Tech ops continues to perform at these levels, Delta will close out 2015 with well above 200 days of zero maintenance cancellations.

Nothing short of stellar.

[Edited 2015-10-21 07:07:55]

nwadeicer

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:56 pm

Quoting Planeflyer (Reply 13):
Delta is amazing at getting the bags out which says a lot about employee morale and systems.

Hehe, morale has absolutely nothing to do with that. It has to do with not getting dinged for getting the bags to claim at 21 minutes. Then having to explain to the performance leader why you didn't get the bags there in time.
I miss the Red Tail

b727fa

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Quoting nwadeicer (Reply 15):
Hehe, morale has absolutely nothing to do with that. It has to do with not getting dinged for getting the bags to claim at 21 minutes. Then having to explain to the performance leader why you didn't get the bags there in time.

But NOT having to do a carpet dance for my manager makes me happy...
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

B737900

Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:14 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 11):
Isn't it about time that Anetters stopped using the term kool -aid drinkers We have become like robots using terms that others used to appear to be "in the know". How about trying a little bit of originality. The same goes for "fan boys"

And how about the use of the word 'product'? Too, too often used as a lazy shortcut in using the actual noun to describe a real thing. As an example: Southwest's product is not as good as Delta's product. As in 'food service' or 'check-in'. Let's start using real words.

Just a pet peeve of mine. Regards.
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

catiii

Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Quoting B737900 (Reply 17):
And how about the use of the word 'product'? Too, too often used as a lazy shortcut in using the actual noun to describe a real thing. As an example: Southwest's product is not as good as Delta's product. As in 'food service' or 'check-in'. Let's start using real words.

Why? "Product" is an accepted industry term. Every airline has a Product team. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean we shouldn't use it.

diverted

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 18):
Why? "Product" is an accepted industry term. Every airline has a Product team. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean we shouldn't use it.

I think they meant people generalizing when talking about their preferred airline. Of course within the industry the terms soft product and hard product are used often. But I fully know what B737900 means when they say "EK has a better product than DL." That's great-tell us WHY. Is the seat better? Food? IFE? Checkin? Lounge? Alcohol choice? FF program? People here like to generalize without backing up their statement. It'd be like me saying "Well Boeing builds a better plane then Airbus" or "VW makes better cars than GM."It may be true -but without giving any supporting evidence, I'd just be spewing hot air. Product is far to vague to just throw out there as a point in a discussion. Might as well use "because I said so"

777ord

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:03 pm

LOL. Anything Smisek did is wrong... I am surprised more negative things didn't happen.

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 9):
hey combined the work groups and haven't been trying to outsource everything ala UA. They treat the employees with respect where UA and AA have a us vs them attitude. I will never understand why that is the general attitude in this industry. Management and labor working together is much better for everyone.

That is a little exaggerated. Most of the AA mentality is they feel their contract needs to be done. But then they drag their heels on any progress...

Pretty sure it was Parker. I believe the quote was something along the lines of giving out profit sharing was bad because frontline employees don't effect the day to day operation.

thats not the entire quote... You need to add that profit sharing is only paid when a profit is made so bust your butt and get nothing if profits don't come.. Or, take the guarantee with a pay hike? That is what he said... Regarding Pilots, they voted what they voted... Nothing they can do.

Quoting Planeflyer (Reply 13):
AA has made great strides but is still significantly behind both delta and SWA for on time performance.

according to what stats?

catiii

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:14 pm

Quoting diverted (Reply 19):
I fully know what B737900 means when they say "EK has a better product than DL."

Again, within the industry, that term and sentence is used all the time...

But point taken.

jetwet1

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Delta is extremely proactive on maintenance and does just about everything but major overhauls in-house. That does a lot to increase the effectiveness of maintenance but also to get the people invested in their work.
they combined the work groups and haven't been trying to outsource everything ala UA. They treat the employees with respect

My brother in law moved from UA mx to DL mx a couple of years ago at LAX, he has nothing but good things to say about DL tech, the opposite of when he was at UA (for 20 years), they work you harder, but they also let you do your job without second guessing you every step....

B737900

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:17 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 21):
I fully know what B737900 means when they say "EK has a better product than DL."
Quoting catiii (Reply 21):
Again, within the industry, that term and sentence is used all the time...

But point taken.

I am not part of the airline industry but I understand what catiii is saying but let me give you an example of what I mean when I say that there could be better ways of saying something besides using 'product' in place of a more appropriate word or phrase. In the February 2015 issue of Airways magazine pages 26-29 an article about Top 10 First Class Cabins the author used 'product' ten times in the four pages. 'service and quality in product'; 'Etihad product'; 'the product has been one of the most sought-after airline tickets'; travelers in such products'; 'Singapore Airlines' service and product'; A380 First Class product'; 'consistency of product'; 'First Class product'; 'product developments'; 'JAL's best products are found'.

It might be the industry standard to use 'product' in such ways but it strikes me as being somewhat lazy and not very descriptive. Let's use real words.

[Edited 2015-10-21 12:21:10]
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

northwestEWR

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:41 pm

What??? That's called MAINTENANCE.
At home base, maintenance does a walk around. That's what an airline does.
Are you suggesting that American, Southwest, and United simply let their planes fly around for days uninspected? Because you're horribly mistaken.

Of course that's not what I'm saying but it's been my experience that Delta will fix something where others will MEL it until later. Delta also has SIGNIFICANTLY more LineMX stations than any other carrier so aircraft are inspected more often.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

catiii

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Quoting B737900 (Reply 23):
It might be the industry standard to use 'product' in such ways but it strikes me as being somewhat lazy and not very descriptive.

Right, because we're all so lazy  

deltal1011man

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:52 pm

Quoting 777ord (Reply 20):
You need to add that profit sharing is only paid when a profit is made so bust your butt and get nothing if profits don't come.. Or, take the guarantee with a pay hike?

airline history 101

first time the company starts losing money they take that "guarantee pay hike" first.
Then you get a guarantee pay cut.

either way you are going to lose money.

deltal1011man

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:56 pm

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 24):
Delta also has SIGNIFICANTLY more LineMX stations than any other carrier so aircraft are inspected more often.

Forgot to add

may want to check that. AA/US have a pretty robust line network too IIRC.

mayor

Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:44 am

Look guys, I like Delta and all, but..... think about these things:

Quoting global1 (Thread starter):
Of the 365 days in 2015

Uh, run that by me again?
Because I'm pretty sure that 2015 has, oh, 71 days left until we get to 365.
But don't let the facts interrupt our sycophantic Delta cheerleading.

Even if the year ended right now, they would be above 50% of zero mtc. cancellations.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos