Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jfklganyc
Topic Author

United Last Days JFK...stories?

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:23 pm

I looked over at T7 yesterday morning and saw 6 757s waiting to go to the West Coast.

UA will leave JFK after being a major player (and then smaller player) at the airport since the unit terminals in Terminal City opened in the 50s and 60s.

Anyone have any stories about what is going on over there with pax? employees? goodbye ceremonies?

It will be sad to see them leave JFK and see DL add flights to BWI and PHL with those slots.

commavia

RE: United Last Days JFK...stories?

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Thread starter):
I looked over at T7 yesterday morning and saw 6 757s waiting to go to the West Coast.

It will definitely be strange being in T7 and not seeing the United presence - counters, jets at the gates, club, etc. - anymore.

UA will leave JFK after being a major player (and then smaller player) at the airport since the unit terminals in Terminal City opened in the 50s and 60s.

Definitely the end of an era - amazing that in a few days, United will be out of the JFK-California market for the first time in decades - since pretty much the advent of transcontinental flights in the U.S.

It will be sad to see them leave JFK and see DL add flights to BWI and PHL with those slots.

Is that slot swap with Delta a "done deal" from a regulatory review/approval standpoint? Has Delta already loaded flights using those slots?

catiii

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:28 pm

Cue the usual suspects in the EWR vs LGA/JFK debate in 5...4...3...2...  

sq256

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:51 pm

I understand UA used to have their own terminal at JFK til the early 90s.

Terminal 9, which was initially shared with DL (before they moved to Terminal 2), then BN. DL then BN had the smaller pier of Terminal 9.

AA later took over the smaller pier from BN before taking over the entire terminal in the 90s when UA moved to Terminal 7.

DolphinAir747

Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:02 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 2):

Cue the usual suspects in the EWR vs LGA/JFK debate in 5...4...3...2...  

BUT UA IS NO LONGER SERVING REAL NEW YORK AIRPORTS THEY WILL LOSE ALL THEIR MOST VALUABLE CUSTOMERS THEY WILL ONLY GET THE CRAP LOW YIELDING USELESS TRAFFIC OUT OF EWWWWWWW

(sarcasm off)

Though I'm very happy to see p.s. at EWR it's also sad to see the end of an era. UA was quite the powerhouse at JFK. I'm curious to know how they managed to run JFK HKG nonstop, was it a 777 or 747? Must have had crazy weight restrictions.

Abeam79

Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Heard rumors that B6 owns the first rights to those gates at T7 since they own the surrounding real estate there. Barger and even Robyn Hayes had stated they would eventually be able to build a connector to T7 from T5. I can see the B6 using those gates for their partner airlines in the interim.

a380787

Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:08 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 4):

Though I'm very happy to see p.s. at EWR it's also sad to see the end of an era. UA was quite the powerhouse at JFK. I'm curious to know how they managed to run JFK HKG nonstop, was it a 777 or 747? Must have had crazy weight restrictions.

It was with 744 ... a panic knee-jerk reaction to PMCO launching EWR-HKG nonstop using 77E. PMUA cancelled very quickly (partly due to poor performance with the wrong plane but more so because of 9/11).

dfwjim1

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Sad to see UA leave JFK but that is business. Would there any chance of them coming back to JFK down the road?

a380787

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:17 pm

Quoting dfwjim1 (Reply 7):
Sad to see UA leave JFK but that is business. Would there any chance of them coming back to JFK down the road?

I guess we'll all be observing the yields on JFK/EWR-LAX/SFO for the next 12 months. The intense amount of competition at JFK may end up offsetting the additional volume of high spenders, and net net the data may show no meaningful difference compared to running it out of EWR.

My gut feeling is that $599 Jetblue Mint has permanently changed the dynamics of the route, and it's no longer the golden goose of the good ole' days.

Once you factor in the cost of inertia, for UA to move their transcon back to JFK (slot issues aside), they would have to have data showing yields completely imploding on the EWR side.

n515cr

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Lots of great memories on the p.s. flights, particularly pre-merger. I will always miss row 9 on the old config...

The lounge and the staff always treated me great...they were a pleasure to interact with and definitely 'saved' me during a couple of IROPS. They'll be missed, and I wish them all the best.

klwright69

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:11 pm

Where will UA's JFK ground staff go? I wonder if they saw this coming. I remember CO used to fly JFK to CLE and IAH. The last couple years at JFK I would always see UA there. I guess with AA, B6, VX, and DL it was just too much.

It makes sense to have UA PS service at EWR. It is a bit strange to have premium pax traveling over the Atlantic through EWR board regular domestic at EWR, while JFK pax had the premium service.

ua900

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Loved UA three class service to JFK with the GFL lounge. That was cut on the SF / LA side when the route went to 2 cabin.

Currently I get routed through EWR a lot on LAX / SFO - EU flights. Seeing that go from 5-6 hours in a 737 to 5-6 hours in a flat bed (guaranteed now) 757 is a change I like.
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

codc10

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:28 pm

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 10):
Where will UA's JFK ground staff go?

Staff have been offered severance pursuant to their applicable contract or offered positions at EWR/LGA to the extent available/desired.

727LOVER

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 1):
Is that slot swap with Delta a "done deal" from a regulatory review/approval standpoint?

Yes, I'm curious about this as well.

United @ JFK over the years:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © George W. Hamlin
View Large View Medium

Photo © Richard Vandervord

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerard Helmer
View Large View Medium

Photo © George W. Hamlin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerard Helmer
View Large View Medium

Photo © Aris Pappas

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ken Rose
View Large View Medium

Photo © Art Brett - Photovation Images

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank J. Mirande

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin
View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mischa Oordijk

View Large View Medium

Photo © Matthew Lee - Contrails Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Manas Barooah
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ville Ripatti

View Large View Medium

Photo © K.H. Ng - HKAEC
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mario J Craig

View Large View Medium

Photo © peipeidew
View Large View Medium

Photo © Manny Gonzalez - Thrust Images

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

UA444

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting codc10 (Reply 12):
taff have been offered severance pursuant to their applicable contract or offered positions at EWR/LGA to the extent available/desired

I've heard some mechanics will stay at JFK and do work for other airlines while still being UA employees. Saw it posted by a current JFK employee on a Facebook.

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:42 pm

I'm curious to know how they managed to run JFK HKG nonstop, was it a 777 or 747?

It was a 744 with 80 empty seats. No way it could've done anything but bled.

9/11 put it out of its misery, and even if it hadn't, the ensuing SARS "epidemic" certainly would've.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

threeifbyair

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 1):
Is that slot swap with Delta a "done deal" from a regulatory review/approval standpoint? Has Delta already loaded flights using those slots?

I haven't heard that it is done. AS and VX might be interested in JFK slots, perhaps others as well.

I don't know how AS originally obtained EWR slots (or was it pre-slot?), but EWR-SEA has been 2x for many years and PDX still doesn't have an EWR flight.

If AS wants to expand SEA/PDX-NYC, it looks like JFK will be the only option for the foreseeable future. Perhaps the SEA-JFK redeye is the proverbial toe in the water.

tsnamm

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Quoting UA444 (Reply 14):
I've heard some mechanics will stay at JFK and do work for other airlines while still being UA employees. Saw it posted by a current JFK employee on a Facebook.

They're only there til Jan,to wrap everthing up and then the building will be taken over by DL maintainence.

jfklganyc
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:45 pm

Quoting Abeam79 (Reply 5):
Heard rumors that B6 owns the first rights to those gates at T7 since they own the surrounding real estate there. Barger and even Robyn Hayes had stated they would eventually be able to build a connector to T7 from T5. I can see the B6 using those gates for their partner airlines in the interim.

I have also heard that rumor. I suspect T5 will continue to march North to T7 and B6 will have most of the gates.

Quoting tsnamm (Reply 17):
They're only there til Jan,to wrap everthing up and then the building will be taken over by DL maintainence.

Interesting.

polarexpress

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:30 pm

Anyone know if UA plans to add space or upgrade its lounges in Terminal C? It's going to get awfully crowded with the added traffic.

klwright69

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:37 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 15):
I'm curious to know how they managed to run JFK HKG nonstop, was it a 777 or 747?

It was a 744 with 80 empty seats. No way it could've done anything but bled.

9/11 put it out of its misery, and even if it hadn't, the ensuing SARS "epidemic" certainly would've.

I am an a.net old timer, and I have been coming to a.net for many years. I remember the thread on a.net regarding CO's EWR-HKG and UA's JFK-HKG.

The thread revolved around which airline would succeed and which would fail. The consensus was that one airline would fail on this route. Some argued that UA might succeed over CO because it was thought their flight was timed better. Yes, many here were adamant that CO would be the one to fail. Interesting isn't it?

United1

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:38 am

Quoting polarexpress (Reply 19):
Anyone know if UA plans to add space or upgrade its lounges in Terminal C? It's going to get awfully crowded with the added traffic.

Updating both lounges was announced...I don't remember the timetable I believe that they talked about it when they announced the P.S. move to EWR.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

OzarkD9S

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:00 am

UA was quite the powerhouse at JFK.

Not really. Ever.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

klwright69

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:14 am

No they weren't. They had transcons, and international flights to key markets in its time.

sq256

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:25 am

Not really. UA may had its own terminal at one stage but they didn't utilise the whole terminal. The smaller pier of Terminal 9 was usually leased out to other operators (BN and AA) after DL moved out of Terminal 9 in the 1960s.

AA connected their terminal to Terminal 9 after taking over BN's old space, then eventually took over the whole complex after UA moved out of their space for Terminal 7.

UA's flights out of JFK after deregulation was heavily O&D based with many point to point flights. A 'gateway' as some term it.

jfklganyc
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:45 am

Quoting polarexpress (Reply 19):

There really isn't a net increase in pax.

EWR LAX tomorrow 12 flights
Random Nov date 11 flights
Random April date 12 flights
Random July date 15 flights

Didn't they have that many flights last July as well?

When all is said in done with slot swaps and JFK/EWR shuffling

1. I really don't see many DL adds at JFK with these slots. I believe the OAG threads showed a BWI a PHL and a couple of LAX and SFO frequencies

2. B6 and VX added a token frequency on LAX and SFO from JFK

3. I haven't seen any huge reductions from DL at EWR

4. I haven't seen how UA makes up the 12 or 13 flights at JFK at EWR. There is more capacity with a few extra flights and 757s, but this is not a straight one for one shift JFK->EWR or even close to that.

Summation. This looks like a slight capacity drop NYC-LAX across all airlines when all is said and done. And it was probably needed.

Viscount724

Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:21 am

Quoting sq256 (Reply 24):

Not really. UA may had its own terminal at one stage but they didn't utilise the whole terminal. The smaller pier of Terminal 9 was usually leased out to other operators (BN and AA) after DL moved out of Terminal 9 in the 1960s.

AA connected their terminal to Terminal 9 after taking over BN's old space, then eventually took over the whole complex after UA moved out of their space for Terminal 7.

UA's flights out of JFK after deregulation was heavily O&D based with many point to point flights. A 'gateway' as some term it.

Agree, UA was never a powerhouse at JFK. Just had a quick look at OAG schedules at JFK in July 1983, 4 years after deregulation. Number of nonstop destinations for US carriers then as follows. UA was 3rd smallest US carrier at JFK then in terms of nonstop destinations:

Pan Am - 40
TWA - 34
Eastern - 22
American - 16
Northwest - 9
Delta - 8
United- 5 (ORD, DEN, LAX, SFO, SEA)
US Air - 4
Western - 2

727LOVER

Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:30 am

What is UA's current JFK schedule? Is it all 757-200s?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Viscount724

Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:12 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 27):

Yes, all 757, 7 daily to SFO, 6 daily to LAX.

KLAXAirport

Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:28 am

It'll definitely be missed. I loved it back in the 3 class days when I flew LAX-JFK in F to meet my SQ flight. I understood UA move to rid the F because the F seats pretty much were the updated J. But now with UA pulling out for good, I'm pretty bummed. There is just something about flying to JFK... It's ok, we've still got DL, which on my recent Delta One to LAX trip was outstanding, and AA to do the job. You'll be missed on the route UA.

Cheers,
KLAXAirport   

sq_ek_freak

Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:45 am

Quoting n515cr (Reply 9):
Lots of great memories on the p.s. flights, particularly pre-merger. I will always miss row 9 on the old config...

Yeah many many great memories for me. The crew were exceptional a vast majority of the time as well.

Though row 9 was too much space for me, if that was possible. Also too cold because of the emergency exits! 6C/6D bulkhead were my preferred seats.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 28):

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 27):

Yes, all 757, 7 daily to SFO, 6 daily to LAX.

With the occasional intl configured 767 sub to/from SFO right? Does UA still do that?
Keep Discovering

CARST

Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:37 am

With US domestic Star Alliance service gone from JFK, will we see major *A carriers switch from JFK to EWR if the O&D demand isn't high enough?

Their domestic feed is gone and some airlines could feel the need to follow UA over to EWR. Will be interesting to watch in the coming months...

jfklganyc
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:20 pm

There was no domestic feed from UA at JFK

As a matter of fact, it speaks volumes about UA and/or EWR that STAR carriers serving NYC long haul consistently choose JFK over EWR despite the large UA and former CO hub at EWR

commavia

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:31 pm

As others have mentioned, not sure if "powerhouse" is really the right world. Although, certainly, yes - it's true that United's presence at JFK at its zenith was fairly impressive for a non-hub airline. By the early 2000s United was flying nonstop from JFK to LHR (3x daily), GRU, EZE, NRT and briefly also HKG, as well as the 3-class LAX/JFK transcons and for a period SEA, etc. Hard to believe that at one point United even filed to begin JFK-CDG.

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 32):
There was no domestic feed from UA at JFK

As a matter of fact, it speaks volumes about UA and/or EWR that STAR carriers serving NYC long haul consistently choose JFK over EWR despite the large UA and former CO hub at EWR

It wasn't literally "no" domestic feed - little, but not none. I suspect there were plenty of people who did connecting over JFK between LAX/SFO and international partners.

klwright69

Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:41 pm

Back to the present day, the final flights seemed packed, all the way to the end.

N960AS

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:47 am

I flew JFKLAX this morning on UA1299, all seemed normal. I'd say the flight was c. 85% full.
I'll really miss UA at JFK and how convenient T7 is.

jfklganyc
Topic Author

Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:32 am

Just saw the first TV ad in NYC.

"Near hourly service from LAX and SFO to NY/Newark"

It was written like that at the end of the commercial.

Added onto the United Friendly commercials from beginning of the year.

Admittedly, I am JFK biased. Admittedly, I dislike EWR.

Trying to shelve those two above notions...I can't help but feel UA is making a mistake here. The ad had a sad feel to it. Kinda we're still in the market.

klwright69

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:48 am

Well, today is the last day. The last flights from JFK back to both LAX and SFO are in the air right now. Very shortly UA's last JFK flights will be history. It will be over shortly.

WesternA318

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:19 am

Quoting CARST (Reply 31):
With US domestic Star Alliance service gone from JFK, will we see major *A carriers switch from JFK to EWR if the O&D demand isn't high enough?

Their domestic feed is gone and some airlines could feel the need to follow UA over to EWR. Will be interesting to watch in the coming months...

I doubt there'll be much of a need. JFK is one of those airports where any airline could fly in regardless of partners and connection opportunities and be ok. Plus, Newark already has decent Star Alliance feed, except for maybe the smallest of the Star members that serve JFK only.

My one and only UA JFK memory was taking UA21, the last nonstop of the night to LAX, on 767-200 N612UA (according to my flight memory and seriously faded boarding pass!)

UA444

Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:19 am

You aren't going to see major airlines up and run from JFK to go to NJ. They're at JFK for a reason.

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 38):
JFK is one of those airports where any airline could fly in regardless of partners and connection opportunities and be ok

Any airline, except for the geniuses at United apparently.

BA174

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:25 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 18):

Quoting Abeam79 (Reply 5):

I have also heard that rumor. I suspect T5 will continue to march North to T7 and B6 will have most of the gates

I believe the T7 gates all belong to BA after UA sold its share in the terminal and leased some gates back. I can see EI in T7 before B6.

[Edited 2015-10-25 06:26:33]

jfklganyc
Topic Author

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Quoting BA174 (Reply 40):
I believe the T7 gates all belong to BA after UA sold its share in the terminal and leased some gates back. I can see EI in T7 before B6.

I'm not sure what will be happening there...just a rumor.

However, the immediate issue and need for BA is that half their terminal will be empty.

They can try to pick off T4 and T1 airlines and get a flight here and there. Problem is, the terminal will be most empty in the morning hours and anything they bring over except Mexico and Asian flights will be in the evening rush when they really don't need extra flights.

So...if B6 is calling with a connection to T5...all of a sudden you can see how that looks good.

Only wild card...VX. They really would fit nicely in those UA gates. And they have a well rounded schedule like UA did to make use of them throughout the day.

Would the VS/BA thing carryover to VX in NYC? No idea.

STT757

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 36):
Just saw the first TV ad in NYC.

"Near hourly service from LAX and SFO to NY/Newark"

It was written like that at the end of the commercial.

Added onto the United Friendly commercials from beginning of the year.

Admittedly, I am JFK biased. Admittedly, I dislike EWR.

Trying to shelve those two above notions...I can't help but feel UA is making a mistake here. The ad had a sad feel to it. Kinda we're still in the market.

EWR is UA's most profitable hub, it dominates the airport with nearly 70% of the traffic. Subsequently EWR has much higher average fares than JFK, plus it's UA's main International hub. How does it not make sense? You want to fly to Queens go to LGA.

I'm comparing this to UA's selling their NY-London rights to DL. UA was able to realize the maximum value of their assets two years prior to Bermuda II going away and their NY-London rights losing their value. UA is now swapping , if it goes through, their JFK slots for EWR slots. If the Port Authority were to drop the perimeter rule from LGA UA's JFK Trans-Con operation would lose it's value, as will most slots at JFK.

To build a new PS operation from LGA UA could use some of the slots currently used for CLE, IAD and maybe cull a couple off ORD, DEN and or IAH.

Quoting commavia (Reply 33):

As others have mentioned, not sure if "powerhouse" is really the right world. Although, certainly, yes - it's true that United's presence at JFK at its zenith was fairly impressive for a non-hub airline. By the early 2000s United was flying nonstop from JFK to LHR (3x daily), GRU, EZE, NRT and briefly also HKG, as well as the 3-class LAX/JFK transcons and for a period SEA, etc. Hard to believe that at one point United even filed to begin JFK-CDG.

I don't think UA was ever larger at JFK than EWR going all the way back to the 1970s. For instance according to PA traffic statistics in1998 UA served 1,997,699 passengers from JFK and 2,600,593 from EWR.

While UA some prestigious routes as mentioned from JFK, they were mostly flown with low density 3 class 763s, there also was little to no domestic service outside LAX/SFO. Meanwhile during the same time period from EWR UA flew BOS, ORD, DEN, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, IAD, MCO, MIA, LHR and NRT. All on higher density aircraft, for instance JFK-LHR was 2x daily 763s and EWR was 1x daily 777. EWR-DEN was 6-7 daily with one frequency a 777. UA didn't even serve DEN from JFK.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf-traffic/airtraffic1998.pdf
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

WA707atMSP

Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 42):
I don't think UA was ever larger at JFK than EWR going all the way back to the 1970s

Here's a breakdown of UA's service at the three NYC airports, as of the beginning of deregulation. This data comes from an internal UA memo dated Nov 16, 1979, discussing UA's plans to cut back on short haul flying in 1980 due to the recession and a desire to focus on longer haul passengers.

Oct 28, 1979:

JFK: 20 flights: ABE 1x, ORD 4x, CLE 1x, DEN 4x, LAS 1x, LAX 3x, PDX 1x, SLC 1x, SFO 3x, SEA 1x

LGA: 20 flights: ORD 6x, CLE 9x, MCI 2x, PIT 3x

EWR: 19 flights: ORD 6x, CLE 4x, DEN 2x, DTW 1x, GSO 1x, TYS 1x, LAX 2x, SFO 2x

June 13, 1980:

JFK 20 flights: ABE 1x, ORD 5x, DEN 4x, LAS 1x, LAX 3x, SLC 1x, SFO 3x, SEA 2x

LGA: 14 flights: ORD 6x, CLE 7x, DSM 1x

EWR: 15 flights: ORD 5x, CLE 4x, DEN 2x, MCI 1x, LAX 2x, SFO 1x

It's interesting that before UA's big schedule change, UA had the same frequencies out of all three NYC airports. After the change, JFK stayed constant, but LGA and EWR decreased as UA dropped marginal short haul routes to PIT, DTW, GSO, and TYS.

FlyCaledonian

Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:07 pm

Extremely left field, but could AA shift some flights to T7? Specifically, I'm thinking: -

* JFK-LHR - means that "NYLON" shuttle is effectively in one terminal at one end of the market, and given the fact the NY departures are more bunched, JFK would probably be the better end to have the flight co-located.
* JFK-LAX / JFK-SFO - given that these flights are considered to be O&D could they manage being out of T8? Could AA offer a premium terminal experience if they were in T7?
Let's Go British Caledonian!

jfklganyc
Topic Author

Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:37 pm

T8 is nicer

T8 has lots of room

T8 doesn't have enough room for BA and its needs until they build it out...but for AA to move its West Coast shuttles or LHR to T7 would be problematic for connectors and would leave T8 very quiet.

global2

Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:44 pm

Quoting sq256 (Reply 24):
after DL moved out of Terminal 9 in the 1960s.

Interesting--I've seen photos of the United terminal when it was first built which included signage for Delta with whom it shared the building.
But I have no recollection of Delta anywhere else at JFK during the 70's/80's. Where were they before they moved into Northwest's terminal (T2), and Pan Am (T3)?

EA CO AS

Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:15 pm

Some "last day" photos from JFK that were posted to Facebook:

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11012620_10206971985472414_262913844913330022_n.jpg?oh=88c8404d3da24b1955bc1a427ba5ad94&oe=56D0643E

Last UA passenger to depart JFK:

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12038442_10206972497325210_6672640703326196835_n.jpg?oh=90d1b7f6bdc9d0c700990428efa1f2ea&oe=56C0A94F
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

WA707atMSP

Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Quoting Global2 (Reply 46):
But I have no recollection of Delta anywhere else at JFK during the 70's/80's. Where were they before they moved into Northwest's terminal (T2), and Pan Am (T3)?

DL was in the UA terminal until the Northeast merger. When DL merged with NE, DL moved to T2, and Braniff (an original tenant of T2, along with NE and NW) moved to the UA terminal.

global2

Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:27 am

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 48):

Thanks! Don't remember that, though I did fly to TYO on NW out of T2 in 1982. How things have changed.