Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BDL757
Topic Author

Delta And Rolls-Royce Announce Partnership

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:11 pm

Rolls-Royce Names Delta Techops as Approved Maintenance Center

This partnership covers the TrentXWB and Trent 7000 engines. Does this replace/is similar to the TAESL partnership that Rolls had with AA that is winding down? This is great news for Delta and all the hardworking folks in the Techops department? I also read that the Techops Center will be increased by 100,000 sq feet.

FlyBigDeltaJets

RE: Delta And Rolls-Royce Announce Partnership

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Also includes the Trent 1000. The partnership is different than TAESL as TechOps will operate as a RR-approved independent MRO.

Sightseer

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:31 pm

This should help put to rest those rumors of DL canceling the A330/A350 order.

Congratulations to DL and RR!

kraz911

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Hello all,

My hat's off to all the people that make TechOps work. I see it as a vote of confidence. Its nice to see some "insourcing" instead of the constant "outsourcing".

Dalmd88

Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Too bad we have to give up TOC 1 to accommodate the new engine shop. Still no word as to where the 3 to 4 lines of airframe work will go. Possibly the old NW hangar on the southside of the airport either permanently or until a new facility can be built. Possibly displacing lines to DTW ( not a great option for most of the mechanics now working those lines ). Even rumors of a new facility some city south of ATL ( Havana, Cuba? ).

deltal1011man

Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Quoting BDL757 (Thread starter):
Does this replace/is similar to the TAESL partnership that Rolls had with AA that is winding down? T

Yes and no.
TAESL was a JV that that did Trent 800s and RB211s.

This is not going to be a JV and doing Trent 1000, Trent 7000, Trent XWB engines.

Had AA went Trent 1000 on the its 787 its possible TAESL wouldn't be getting shut down.

Quoting Dalmd88 (Reply 4):
Too bad we have to give up TOC 1 to accommodate the new engine shop. Still no word as to where the 3 to 4 lines of airframe work will go.

Same here.
Sounds like its the old NW hangar and trying to lease space in the EV hangar for the rest. (last i heard EV/OO were a solid no). My bet is they end up sending the Airbus back to MSP and bringing the 717 line here. Even with that it doesn't answer the 737/757 question. Neither of which can fit in the NW hangar AFAIK.
Even if they can, i'm pretty sure its just a two bay hangar so we are still short two bays.

until a new facility can be built.

I hope this happens but I would honestly be shocked. If they build space my money is moving the work to Mexico like they said they wouldn't do. IMHO i still don't think TechOps really cares about airframe work. Just make the engine/component people happy. Airframe gets the scraps

Possibly displacing lines to DTW (

I would be shocked if that one happened.

Even rumors of a new facility some city south of ATL ( Havana, Cuba? ).

QRO. Why not finish Tony and Johns dream!  

Dalmd88

Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 5):
Same here.
Sounds like its the old NW hangar and trying to lease space in the EV hangar for the rest. (last i heard EV/OO were a solid no). My bet is they end up sending the Airbus back to MSP and bringing the 717 line here. Even with that it doesn't answer the 737/757 question. Neither of which can fit in the NW hangar AFAIK.
Even if they can, i'm pretty sure its just a two bay hangar so we are still short two bays.

The 737 I think can fit with some mods to the roof I've heard. I think for the 737 it is at least a three bay space. Judging by google maps the east wall would be right about at the TOC 1 Bay 4 centerline. There has been talk of moving the military work over there and moving the rest of the lines to TOC2. The DTW idea was an off the cuff remark from Al Hegner about how nice the unused widebody hangars were there.

[Edited 2015-10-26 10:57:01]

deltal1011man

Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:07 pm

Quoting Dalmd88 (Reply 6):
The 737 I think can fit with some mods to the roof I've heard.

Okay. I figured they would have to do some roof work.

Baby bus to tall?

(obviously 757 is)

There has been talk of moving the military work over there and moving the rest of the lines to TOC2

Can they put a 757 tail dock in bay 8 and fit it in?
Moving the 737 mil work makes sense.

Judging by google maps the east wall would be right about at the TOC 1 Bay 4 centerline

I can't tell. It looks like the lines are painted for two tail in bays 1 nose in on the pad in front of the hangar.

edit I just looked on my google earth and there happens to be a FL 73G parked with its tail toward the hangar. I can't see three mainline planes fitting in there with tails all in the back.
Plus if the hangar bays end where the roof peaks (pretty sure it does) I seriously question if you can fit a 737-900ER or a A321 in there without the nose sticking out.
Honestly I would want the doors shut if it was raining and was doing anything to the front of a 738 or 320.

I think for the 737 it is at least a three bay space.

all tailed into docks?
If they could trade the 757/737 mix line or the airbus line to MSP for the 717 (or one of the 88/90s if they will fit) and move the 757 to bay 8 that would make some sense and seem to work.

Also I am curious what kind of back shop space it has. At one point I know they said something about moving some of the back shops that are engine shops to "other" places to expand the engine shops.

Or maybe fire up the test cell, move the 717 in there and do the BRs too.   

The DTW idea was an off the cuff remark from Al Hegner about how nice the unused widebody hangars were there.

At one point they said they wanted to do MRO work and get a 145 cert. for DTW then it kind of went away.

but isn't DTW/CVG/SLC more set up for line work?

Or an off the wall idea..... do some wide body HMVs in DTW since they have that nice unused space      

[Edited 2015-10-26 11:12:32]

B757Forever

Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:02 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 7):
I seriously question if you can fit a 737-900ER or a A321 in there without the nose sticking out.

A 717 can fit straight in and close the doors. The MD88 and MD90 will need to be tailed in at an angle to be able to close the doors. The longest MD that will fit straight in and close the doors is a DC9-50.

mayor

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:36 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 5):

I hope this happens but I would honestly be shocked. If they build space my money is moving the work to Mexico like they said they wouldn't do. IMHO i still don't think TechOps really cares about airframe work. Just make the engine/component people happy. Airframe gets the scraps

Somewhere I saw how much the expansion would be in terms of sq. foot, but I can't find it, now.......this, I got from DL's release:

"Design work of the expanded engine maintenance facility at Delta's Technical Operations Center in Atlanta will commence in 2016 with construction expected to begin in 2018. The expansion will include space for all aspects of engine overhaul work including a new test cell, a massive concrete installation where stationary jet engines are run at full thrust. Expanded refurbishment areas for blades and vanes, rotors and dozens of other engine components are also planned."

FlyBigDeltaJets

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:43 pm

The new engine shop will be approximately 100,000 Sq ft.

deltal1011man

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 9):

Its 100,000 sqft
but its not "new" space to TOC its new space for engines. (note unless plans have changed)

Question, anyone know where the new test cell is going to go? I don't think it will fit next to the current large cell.

FlyBigDeltaJets

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:52 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 11):
Question, anyone know where the new test cell is going to go? I don't think it will fit next to the current large cell.

That decision will be made soon.

deltal1011man

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:54 pm

Quoting FlyBigDeltaJets (Reply 12):

I bet the EPA is just thrilled with yet another test cell in Atlanta BTW.          

tristarcrazy

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:54 pm

The plan now is hanger bays 1-4 will become the new engine shop. A new test cell will be built but the exact location has not been decided....narrowed down to three locations around TOC with the east lot being the more likely spot. Some of the shops will move around but no major expansion of the building is planned. The old NWA hanger bays only are to be leased (no other space in the building will be occupied) for 10 years for line maintenance. The city plans to build a new runway in 10 years right across the NWA hanger so it will be demolished eventually. Of course things could change but this has been in the works for over 6 months. Kinda thought the headline was old news!!

FlyBigDeltaJets

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 13):
I bet the EPA is just thrilled with yet another test cell in Atlanta BTW.          

From what I understand, they don't really care as long as our overall emissions doesn't exceed the allotted cap, which can be increased if desired. For a price, of course....

deltal1011man

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:02 pm

Quoting tristarcrazy (Reply 14):
The old NWA hanger bays only are to be leased (no other space in the building will be occupied) for 10 years for line maintenance. The city plans to build a new runway in 10 years right across the NWA hanger so it will be demolished eventually.

if that is the case then what happens to the work in bays 1-4?

Also the master plan showed the new runway being south of the the NW hangar/South Cargo. The new Delta cargo complex is suppose to also be in between the four runways (two on each side) and the new concourses going where Delta Cargo was.

deltal1011man

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:04 pm

Quoting FlyBigDeltaJets (Reply 15):

From what I understand, they don't really care as long as our overall emissions doesn't exceed the allotted cap, which can be increased if desired. For a price, of course....

wouldn't adding an extra test cell (and I am assuming here that it will be two actual test bays like the current large cell is) put it over the cap?

FlyBigDeltaJets

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:04 pm

I have absolutely no knowledge of the plans for after the NW hangar is torn down, but it's interesting that the master plan has no current provisions for what's going in the current North Cargo area. Seems like a great place for some new state of the art hangars...

mayor

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:06 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 16):
Also the master plan showed the new runway being south of the the NW hangar/South Cargo. The new Delta cargo complex is suppose to also be in between the four runways (two on each side) and the new concourses going where Delta Cargo was.

Wonder if the DL cargo building will be as automated as it is, now? Toured it once and was fascinated to watch one of the robots go pickup and put away cargo that it was programmed to do. Of course, if it wasn't given the correct instructions, it will just keep repeating the function, without of course, putting the cargo away. Just keeps doing it over and over.

FlyBigDeltaJets

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:06 pm

Quoting FlyBigDeltaJets (Reply 18):
wouldn't adding an extra test cell (and I am assuming here that it will be two actual test bays like the current large cell is) put it over the cap?

No, there's sufficient space under the existing cap, it's a convoluted formula for reporting your emissions and calculating the cap.

The new test cell will be a single chamber facility, dubbed Cell 5. The current large cell houses Cells 3 and 4.

[Edited 2015-10-26 14:08:31]

deltal1011man

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:13 pm

Quoting FlyBigDeltaJets (Reply 18):

FWIW i honestly thought when all of this started they would build a new engine shop and test cell over there and slowly start moving the TOC to the north.

As you have pointed out before, I know Richard wanted to expand F all the way across.

Quoting mayor (Reply 19):
Wonder if the DL cargo building will be as automated as it is, now? Toured it once and was fascinated to watch one of the robots go pickup and put away cargo that it was programmed to do. Of course, if it wasn't given the correct instructions, it will just keep repeating the function, without of course, putting the cargo away. Just keeps doing it over and over.

I wouldn't think they would go back toward more humans when a robot can do it. I would guess it would be even more advanced than it is now if at all possible.

Quoting FlyBigDeltaJets (Reply 20):

No, there's sufficient space under the existing cap, it's a convoluted formula for reporting your emissions and calculating the cap.

oh okay.

Quoting FlyBigDeltaJets (Reply 20):

The new test cell will be a single chamber facility, dubbed Cell 5

By google it looks like a single cell could fit next the 3/4 without having to move the parking deck.

mayor

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:18 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 21):
I wouldn't think they would go back toward more humans when a robot can do it. I would guess it would be even more advanced than it is now if at all possible.

Don't know if you could have much MORE automation, but you could expand the entire building with the type of automation you have, now.

FlyBigDeltaJets

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:19 pm

By google it looks like a single cell could fit next the 3/4 without having to move the parking deck.

That was considered but 1) the roadway between the test cell and glycol tank is necessary for emergency vehicle access to the tarmac ramp located north of the parking deck and 2) the Flint River is located in an underground viaduct underneath the glycol tank, which would make construction there a bit of a nightmare.

The other thing to consider is the sheer size of this new test cell. It will be considerably larger than anything on U.S. soil today.

[Edited 2015-10-26 14:21:07]

[Edited 2015-10-26 14:21:34]

FlyBigDeltaJets

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:25 pm

FWIW i honestly thought when all of this started they would build a new engine shop and test cell over there and slowly start moving the TOC to the north.

I think a lot of people (myself included), thought a new TOC might go in where the old Ford plant was.

LAX772LR

Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Quoting Sightseer (Reply 2):
This should help put to rest those rumors of DL canceling the A330/A350 order.

Hoepfully, it puts to rest those older rumors of DL somehow being bound to/by GE, due to bankruptcy financing or something.

n901wa

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:58 pm

Very Cool News. I was just telling my boss last week, I bet we do something with RR now that the TAESL was going to be shut down.
I am still surprised that the New Eng shop is going in bay 1-4. Some of us was talking that we should build a New Eng Shop off the Airport. Like South or East, and could be 20 mins away. They could Drive the Engines at night to avoid Traffic, and Build on a spot that has room for expansion, if needed later. I know you guys can use the parking spots too (acft and autos). They could use part of the old eng shop to store serviceable engines, so if needed it would be ready without wait.
Glad more work is coming, and hope the trend continues.  

NorthstarBoy

Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:26 am

Not to sound negative, but I wonder if this means DL will export more of it's own internal maintenance to some five cent an hour third world country?

JerseyFlyer

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:43 am

Looks like they won't be cancelling any RR-powered Airbuses after all!

aviatorcraig

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:51 am

deltal1011man

Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:06 am

Quoting FlyBigDeltaJets (Reply 24):

I think a lot of people (myself included), thought a new TOC might go in where the old Ford plant was.

I always thought that was a pipe dream.
The plan has pretty much always been to do Atlantic station 2.0 and even with other that, there wasn't nearly enough space for 13 hangar bays plus all the shops, test cells etc. etc. etc.

Question, TOC1 seems awfully big for just two lines of engines (assuming here the T1000/T7000 will share) does that leave space for another engine or two? (ahem, V2500 anyone?)

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 25):
Hoepfully, it puts to rest those older rumors of DL somehow being bound to/by GE,

I am a little shocked said person hasn't shown up in this thread, because this also pretty much rules out any chance of a GEnX fleet at Delta.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 25):
due to bankruptcy financing or something.

It wasn't financing(that I remember), GE (and Boeing and IIRC Pratt) happened to be some of Delta's largest creditors.
Of course the real reason is the CF6 is the powerplant for the 764 thus by default GE is the only engine that should be on the DL fleet.

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 27):

Not to sound negative, but I wonder if this means DL will export more of it's own internal maintenance to some five cent an hour third world country?

what do you mean? Delta will be doing its own work plus others.

Quoting JerseyFlyer (Reply 28):

Looks like they won't be cancelling any RR-powered Airbuses after all!

shocker.

FlyBigDeltaJets

Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:51 am

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 30):
Question, TOC1 seems awfully big for just two lines of engines (assuming here the T1000/T7000 will share) does that leave space for another engine or two? (ahem, V2500 anyone?)

Not as big as you might think. These engines (especially the XWB) are quite large and require considerably more space to assembly and transport/maneuver than what we're used to (CF6/PW4). The current plan is for the necessary repair and support shops to also go in TOC1 so that will take up some of the real estate as well.

tristarcrazy

Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:05 pm

if that is the case then what happens to the work in bays 1-4?

The thought is that they can manage elsewhere...that's what were were told. I think its a mistake to loose the hanger space but what do I know!

I think there are a couple versions of that masterplan floating around. A lot could change in 10 years but the plan is to put another runway in that area in 10 years. The old NWA hanger need to be torn down anyway, its a piece of junk.

Dalmd88

Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 27):

That is a possibility. We already export work to El Salvador(a320) and Mexico(MD88/90). Those are heavier checks than we do internally right now. We also send work to a bunch of US MRO shops. Most also being heavy checks. I think the only light checks being out sourced currently are the A320 L check and the 757 199 pax mod aircraft that get an L check with the mod.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos