KirkSeattle

RE: Kolavia A321 Crashes In Sinai / Egypt - Part 2

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:28 pm

According to Reuters:

"Airbus said the A321 was built in 1997 and had been operated by Metrojet since 2012. "

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...-egypt-crash-idUSKCN0SP06V20151101

I also read, sorry I can't provide a link, that the jet was overhauled in 2014.

Regarding the tail strike repair, when Metrojet leased the aircraft, surely the maintenance records would document the repair. Would they have inspected the repairs at the time of leasing the aircraft? What about the 2014 overhaul, would the tail strike repair be inspected again? For leased aircraft, is it the airline or lessor's responsibility?

Although procedures are different for each airline, what would be the "normal" procedure during initial lease and future checks? If the repairs are well documented, is there a need to check?

Thanks.

KirkSeattle

PlanesNTrains

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:33 pm

Quoting BackSeater (Reply 296):
By whom?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...plane-reported-egypt-after-6746384

Is a reference. FWIW.

Quoting BackSeater (Reply 296):
The ISIL (in Egypt) claim for responsibility seems to be genuine at least for some experts (e.g. in France).

Ok. I'm not judging anything to do with their claim of responsibility. The video, though, seems like a mish-mash that was thrown together in a hurry. Could just be a coincidence I suppose.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Btblue

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Quoting btblue (Reply 281):
Quoting joejosh999 (Reply 276):

The HS has been found, at least on twitter I saw a photo of the port Horizontal Stabiliser missing it's elevator. It was standing upright as if positioned there or, it fell as such. I'll try to get a pic but it featured prominently on some of the initial crash photos together with news stories.

Here with the pics of the Horizontal stabiliser:

The above horizontal stabiliser appears to have detached from the port side of the tail:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/01/16/2E03122A00000578-3299019-image-a-1_1446394104751.jpg

And for reference, the starboard side of the tail (note HS fittings showing minor damage compared to port):

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/01/18/2E03C31400000578-3299019-image-a-79_1446404367879.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/10/31/18/2DFC1E1200000578-3297871-image-a-49_1446315960684.jpg

[Edited 2015-11-01 14:57:54]

wjcandee

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:55 pm

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 268):
It's the official conclusion by the Russian Interstate Aviation Committee

Respectfully, whatever that organization is, (1) shouldn't be reaching any "conclusions" at this point; (2) is not likely to be as transparent as the NTSB or BEA; (3) isn't saying much because "breakup" can be a million things.

Moreover, how many miles away did they find parts of AA587 again?

My point is that it could be any number of things, and no theory at this point is any more likely than any other to be the cause. They have the CVR and DFDR, and perhaps, maybe, the Russians will be prompt and transparent about the contents, or maybe they won't be. We'll see. They may be useful, they may not be.

It's FANTASY FOOTBALL season, and this kind of post-crash speculation is the Aviation Nerd's Fantasy Football. (And reporters' and consultants' and government officials'.) Everybody wants bragging rights that they were able to guess the cause from some estoeric factoid from past crashes or some teensy detail they claim to see in some wreckage photo. The plain fact is that there is not enough known publicly for any one theory to do anything more than predominate a smidge, and a lot of this stuff is just trying to put the biggest "sleeper" on your team this week so you can beat your friends. It's stupid. Most accidents and incidents at cruise are caused by some unanticipated event occurring, followed by pilot error. What happens next is karma -- maybe it turns into A Really Bad Day and maybe it doesn't. When it doesn't, we don't usually hear about it.

There is metal peeled back in one of the photos. What are we to make of that? By itself, nothing. Zero. Zippo. And on and on.

[Edited 2015-11-01 15:06:15]

YVRLTN

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:58 pm

Quoting cat3appr50 (Reply 205):
which the position of a deceased person/passenger (BTW not a “cadaver” but a “person”, in fact it was a child) reportedly found 8km away from the primary crash site seems to indicate,

It would be interesting which seat this person was sat in, though of course it is possible they were in the rear lavatory at the time and if the pax still missing were in a similar area ie the rear.

Quoting cat3appr50 (Reply 205):
Are there more details of the reported past repair of the pressure bulkhead after a reported past serious tail strike incident

There seems to be nothing available on the web, I assume if it was that serious it would have been completed in CAI but there would also be some accident report about it. Who looks after the regular mx for Kolavia?

This article explores a RPB failure backed up with some photos I had not seen posted here yet.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...doom-russian-plane-over-egypt.html
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Ttailsteve

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:03 pm

I apologize I have not read every post, but rather skimmed.

The inflight break-up from a botched repair, although possible and has precedent, seems unlikely. There are a surprising number of tail strikes requiring repairs and the engineering / construction of the A321 is conventional--nothing new like a 787. The amount of engineering required and computers used to make such a repair in 2001 cannot even compare to Japan 123. I would like to know how bad the tail strike was, who made the repair and if Airbus signed off on it and fully approved it. However, I just can't imagine a faulty repair made in 2001 not being noticed during a D check. This plane if in "average" service should have had (2) D checks since the repair and (6ish) C checks. I could see this type of repair fault not being caught in a C check but just can't fathome a major structural fault being missed In a D check. Especially because during a D check any major repairs are specifically closely inspected. What's the chance a faulty repair wouldn't show any signs of fatigue for years and years and then all of the sudden rapidly progress? Faulty repairs that are major usually....almost always...show warning signs.

It's was too early of course to rule almost anything out. For me personally I do rule out a missile and would put a bomb ahead of a faulty repair.

Just my thoughts.

TheRedBaron

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:20 pm

Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 206):
You never know, maybe the Egyptian military hit it by accident (with a real SAM). They killed a dozen tourists by accident in the Sinai just last month.

I might be possible.

Mandala499 where are you my friend?

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

EMAman

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:35 pm

Quoting Ttailsteve (Reply 305):
It's was too early of course to rule almost anything out. For me personally I do rule out a missile and would put a bomb ahead of a faulty repair.

The bomb theory is definitely very high up there.

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 306):
You never know, maybe the Egyptian military hit it by accident (with a real SAM). They killed a dozen tourists by accident in the Sinai just last month.

I would have thought Israeli radar evidence would have come forward by now if that was so. They have good Sinai primary radar coverage.

joejosh999

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:37 pm

Thanks btblu, what was your source for the pic of the HS?
It appears to be in a large burned debris field which would not make much sense if it had separated from the tail empennage which had no burns visible and was separate from the scorched debris if the wing box...

Can you post the links thanks!

EMAman

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:37 pm

However, I just can't imagine a faulty repair made in 2001 not being noticed during a D check. This plane if in "average" service should have had (2) D checks since the repair and (6ish) C checks. I could see this type of repair fault not being caught in a C check but just can't fathome a major structural fault being missed In a D check.

These are all very interesting points

I would like to know how bad the tail strike was, who made the repair and if Airbus signed off on it and fully approved it.

I have been hoping to obtain that information too, but dont seem to be able to find it anywhere - what repairs were carried out, where and who by?

EMAman

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:39 pm

POST DELETED BY OP - ACCIDENTALLY DUPLICATED BELOW

[Edited 2015-11-01 15:46:43]

Btblue

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:44 pm

Quoting joejosh999 (Reply 308):
Thanks btblu, what was your source for the pic of the HS?
It appears to be in a large burned debris field which would not make much sense if it had separated from the tail empennage which had no burns visible and was separate from the scorched debris if the wing box...

Can you post the links thanks!

Here you go - I originally saw the images on twitter however, a search on google eventually threw them up.

Source is UNIAN information agency.

www.unian.info/world/1170358-egyptia...photos-from-7k9268-crash-site.html

EMAman

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:45 pm

There are other possibilities that could cause a structural failure, like an oxygen bottle explosion - remember QANTAS incident in 2008? Improbable but not impossible.

I think the black box and FDR might offer up some clues quite quickly, but a sudden event may not leave much time for conversation - perhaps more a case of analysing noise / bangs / explosions on the CVR and synchronising them against parameters such as cabin pressure and engine performance on the FDR.

joejosh999

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:56 pm

Quoting btblue (Reply 311):

If you check the Twitter, I believe that is Algeria 2014. The stab pic....

DocLightning

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:15 am

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 241):
The vertical stabilizer is not that far from the rest of the wreckage.

So more recent observations put the debris into two fields. The tail comprises one and at some distance the rest of the fuselage. From my appearance, there are the wings (curiously inverted, perhaps it did come down upside-down?) and the fuselage from forward of the aft wing root, and then there is the empennage. Now, if the fuselage came down with forward momentum then it stands to reason all fuselage debris would be forward of the wings.

But with the tail apart from the fuselage, it is once again appearing that the tail may have come off before impact. Although the close proximity suggests that it wasn't very long before impact.

Quoting joejosh999 (Reply 257):
It seems a missile is unlikely at 30 k which leaves us with a bomb, or , the more banal explanation, poor repair/maintenance of a past TS, by a low cost Russian carrier known for cutting corners with safety.

I'm inclined to agree. A narrative that is consistent with the information we have so far would be:
1) Some event causes an explosive decompression at altitude near the tail.
2) This event causes a loss of aircraft controllability, especially with respect to pitch control.
3) The aircraft violently pitches up and down, further stressing the now compromised fuselage and possibly ejecting some passengers.
4) The aircraft goes into a steep dive.
5) The empennage comes off a few hundred to a few thousand feet above the ground.
6) Both components impact the desert.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Pellegrine

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:39 am

Quoting tu204 (Reply 15):
If it was ISIL, they will realise that what out Aerospace Forces are doing to them right now is a slap in the face compared to what will be done to them...

Something tells me that would be the biggest Russian military operation post cold war...

Quoting agrodemm (Reply 43):
I am monitoring the region on FR24 and more specifically RJA 406 - Beirut to Amman. What a circle.
Quoting ly7e7 (Reply 125):
According to FR24 even the Russian airlines bound to SSH avoid northern and central Sinai airspace.

Interestingly, UAL977 (DXB-IAD) just went over central Sinai, as did an Oman Air 738 (CAI-MCT).
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

DDR

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:39 am

Does anyone think that in the photos taken from above, the wreckage resembles UTA flight 772 which was brought down by a bomb?

aircatalonia

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:46 am

Stupid question, what is this?

Is this supposed to look like that?

Siren

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:56 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 126):

Considering this was a flight of several hours, and pretty much fully booked, I am surprised there isn't more fuel based fire damage.

Have you seen good close-up shots of the wings? They're virtually melted. The fire damage to the wings, wingbox, and center fuselage ranks as "extreme".

There most certainly had to be some sort of in-flight break up... you can't get an aircraft pancaking into the ground with an upright tail and rear fuselage section, an inverted wing and center fuselage, and an inverted forward fuselage/flight deck, separated from the burned out wing section by several hundred feet. The engines are not present with the wings - they should be there if the plane had not broken up.

To me, it looks like an high altitude stall to start, but recovery attempts do not work for whatever reason (crew late to recognize stall?) and recovery got increasingly violent until the airframe was overstressed at very low altitude. I would posit that the engines would have come off early in this sequence, and still would have produced some forward thrust for about 15 seconds or so even after being ripped off the plane...

But this is all academic, and doesn't relate to why it happened in the first place... and at that, I'm scratching my head. Eerily reminiscent of the AirAsia 8501 accident almost a year ago - another A32X pancaking in a stall, but that was in very inclement weather conditions and had a crew that was pulling fuses on the FAC computer at the same time.

My own little hunch? I think it may eventually be found that a software update by Airbus may be responsible for these accidents. Something introduced in the last 2 years or so, and common to the A319-320-321s. It might be a simple bug (simple in the software development world), but with horrifying real world consequences... that would be the ultimate cause of both QZ8501 and Kolavia. This sort of thing would only manifest itself under very very very rare circumstances - it's not the type of bug that's reproduceable on cue. And if it was, you wouldn't want to be on the plane doing the reproducing.

I think we can conclusively rule terrorism out at this time.

enilria

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:58 am

Quoting aircatalonia (Reply 317):
Is this supposed to look like that?

That is exactly where the hinge is. It certainly appears to be dirt or grease, but it could be something more.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Swiss...d=106586183a005f7b31ee8c50d5324c56

DDR

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:02 am

Quoting Siren (Reply 318):

Dude, the accident happened yesterday. We can't conclusively rule anything out at this point.

dc863

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:21 am

Quoting DDR (Reply 316):
Does anyone think that in the photos taken from above, the wreckage resembles UTA flight 772 which was brought down by a bomb?

Very close. No communication from the pilots to ATC, break-up at altitude, wreckage scattered over wide area. Someone may have resorted to the old school method of bringing down a plane; bomb in suitcase.

LandSweetLand

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:23 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 314):
From my appearance, there are the wings (curiously inverted, perhaps it did come down upside-down?)

Yep from what I've read the wings are upside down. The cockpit section also appears to have landed upside down (crush damage "above" the radar) and then rolled so that it's now on its side.

As far as the actual debris. Which direction is it pointing relative to the expected flight path? Is it pointing the opposite way which would suggest a total flip, or is it a similar direction indicating a roll?

dc863

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:36 am

Quoting LandSweetLand (Reply 322):
As far as the actual debris. Which direction is it pointing relative to the expected flight path? Is it pointing the opposite way which would suggest a total flip, or is it a similar direction indicating a roll?

Don't forget the pieces during descent are going to roll, flip, flutter, etc in free space on it's way down.

aircatalonia

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:44 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 319):
That is exactly where the hinge is. It certainly appears to be dirt or grease, but it could be something more.

Whatever it is, it's been there for years. Maybe they just use cheap paint?

LandSweetLand

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:48 am

Quoting dc863 (Reply 323):

Don't forget the pieces during descent are going to roll, flip, flutter, etc in free space on it's way down.

True, but if the pieces are grouped and generally aligned, it's a different story to if all the pieces are facing different directions.

DM

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:53 am

The section of the fuselage from just after the wings to just before the tail is still missing unless they've found it and we haven't seen any pictures of it yet. The pictures of the wings and forward fuselage upside down are there but there are no photos of the large section of the fuselage after the wings and before the tail!

A picture for reference showing the rear fuselage section in the green box:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/DanM2007/a321%20fuselage%20section_zpsaywhd0fe.jpg

An edit I've done to the photo of the tail showing that it appears to be missing a lot of itself including the rudder! It seems the force of impact with the ground buckled part of the tail and caused it to fall backwards!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/DanM2007/a321%20tail%20section_zpsrbhzqsar.jpg

Daniel

Viscount724

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:01 am

The inflight break-up from a botched repair, although possible and has precedent, seems unlikely. There are a surprising number of tail strikes requiring repairs and the engineering / construction of the A321 is conventional--nothing new like a 787.

747 construction is also conventional, but the report on CI 611 determined the 2002 crash of the 747-200 (on one of its last flights before retirement) was due to improper repairs following a tail strike 22 years earlier.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines_Flight_611
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20020525-0

enilria

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:10 am

Have you seen good close-up shots of the wings? They're virtually melted. The fire damage to the wings, wingbox, and center fuselage ranks as "extreme".

I don't see a stall causing such a fire that the wings melted in the short time the plane took to fall out of the sky. It seems to me that an explosion inside the aircraft is a significant possibility.

My own little hunch? I think it may eventually be found that a software update by Airbus may be responsible for these accidents.

I think that is a possibility and should be researched. Isn't it also possible it hit a military drone? Are they up that high?

caoimhin

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:21 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 328):
Isn't it also possible it hit a military drone? Are they up that high?

The MQ-9/Predator B can fly that high. It's certainly possible, but unlikely--of course, that is the hallmark of almost all aviation disasters I suppose.

trnswrld

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:21 am

Siren, I think it seems pretty obvious the wings impacted the ground and caught fire and burned where they lay.

[Edited 2015-11-01 18:41:56]

DocLightning

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:31 am

Quoting KirkSeattle (Reply 300):
What about the 2014 overhaul, would the tail strike repair be inspected again? For leased aircraft, is it the airline or lessor's responsibility?

Presumably both. I would expect any airline to inspect a major structural repair before accepting delivery of the aircraft for operations.

No airline, no matter how bean-countingly heartless, wants to risk a crash. The human costs are enormous. The financial costs are enormous. The PR costs are enormous. The operational costs are enormous.

Quoting LandSweetLand (Reply 322):
As far as the actual debris. Which direction is it pointing relative to the expected flight path?

Forward from the wings. So in the direction expected. http://avherald.com/h?article=48e9abe4 There's an overhead view.

Other views show that the wings are clearly upside-down with the flap track fairings on the upper aspect. There is no obvious debris from the section aft of the wings to the empennage.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

trnswrld

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:31 am

Ummm, we can? This plane crashed yesterday! So because you feel for whatever reason the plane stalled and broke up, and software issues could be to blame, we're just gonna go ahead rule out terrorism? Ahh heck, get on the phone with the investigators, their job just got waaayyyyy easier.

F9Animal

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:45 am

As sad as this is for me to even say..... But.... I am hopeful the souls were unconscious, and never felt any of this. Some of us forget the human side of this tragedy, and forget about what those poor people endured. Has anyone been able to confirm a breach of the cabin at cruising altitude? If it did happen at cruising altitude, would it be a pretty fast knock out for them? I would think it would take only a few seconds to pass out at altitude.  
I Am A Different Animal!!

PlanesNTrains

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:48 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 333):
Some of us forget the human side of this tragedy, and forget about what those poor people endured.

For me, it's less that I forget than it is that I don't want to imagine. It's just easier to try to focus on the aircraft side of it because frankly it's just too sad and distressing to think about what the people on board may have gone through.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

F9Animal

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:56 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 334):
For me, it's less that I forget than it is that I don't want to imagine. It's just easier to try to focus on the aircraft side of it because frankly it's just too sad and distressing to think about what the people on board may have gone through.

-Dave

I am glad you think like this! I sadly can't seem to shake it, or easily pass it out of my mind. I try to imagine myself sitting on that plane, seeing it unfold. It is such a terrible thought process! Maybe it is part of my PTSD I was diagnosed with? However, knowing that the loss of life was fast and hopefully painless helps ease my mind a bit. I could never imagine having a family member aboard, and wondering this. Sadly, I am sure it lingers in the minds of many loved ones waiting for answers.

Is this the first fatal loss of an A-321?
I Am A Different Animal!!

PEK777

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:26 am

Quoting DM (Reply 326):
An edit I've done to the photo of the tail

Top notch artistic skills, shades of Mozart.

prebennorholm

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:34 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 335):
Is this the first fatal loss of an A-321?

No. A Pakistani 321 flew into a mountain five years ago.

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 333):
I am hopeful the souls were unconscious, and never felt any of this.

Don't think it was the case. It happened at FL307. Turboprop planess flying up to FL250 don't even have emergency oxygen masks.

I am afraid that all pax were totally conscious all way. Even those who were thrown out of the plane at altitude.

I can't see what could have hindered that.

The only exception I can imagine is if it was a bomb, and many pax were killed instantly by the bomb blast.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

jetblueguy22

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:35 am

Hi All,

Part 3 has been created and can be found here Kolavia A321 Crashes In Sinai / Egypt - Part 3 (by jetblueguy22 Nov 1 2015 in Civil Aviation) .

All posts after the lock will be removed for housekeeping purposes only.

Regards,
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

PlanesNTrains

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:37 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 337):
The only exception I can imagine is if it was a bomb, and many pax were killed instantly by the bomb blast.

Well then I guess I vote for bomb.

-Dave
-Dave

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos