Coal
Topic Author

SQ: No Amenity Kits Or Pajamas For J Class

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:35 am

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-ai...usiness-class-amenity-kits-pyjamas

So, in a recent interview with Australian Business Traveler, SQ said that they will continue to not offer amenity kits or pajamas for J class passengers, as they believe that, since all other airlines offer them, they do not think it would differentiate them, and would rather spend the money on other things, such as a better cellar and better lounges.

Frankly, I think this is wrong. While it may not differentiate them, I think it can be very obvious for a frequent traveller that you are not getting an amenity kit or PJs. Yes, the toilets are stocked with some basics, but again, they are very basic. I think this is a missed opportunity.

Not too sure on PJs, but again, few airlines do it, so it could be a differentiating factor.

And frankly, I think the wine list in J on SQ, and especially the champagne, is very average. Also, although some Silver Kris lounges are better than average (and certainly above and beyond what US airlines offer), I think they are way behind the likes of CX and the ME3.

I have high regard for SQ and was uber loyal to them when I lived in Singapore. But I really think they’re making a mistake, especially if they think what they’re doing on other J aspects, besides the seat, differentiates them (it doesn’t).

Rgds
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

TheFlyingDisk

RE: SQ: No Amenity Kits Or Pajamas For J Class

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:49 am

I understand the pajamas but amenity kits? How much does it cost anyway, I doubt it's more than 5% of the price of a ticket.

SQ's shooting themselves in the foot with this.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Thomaas

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:03 am

They've never offered an amenity kit, so I don't see how that's considered a product downgrade. Most people throw it out anyways as they have better products in their carry-on. SQ's J seat is by far the most spacious in its class and offers top notch catering, I doubt the lack of an amenity kit will make people overlook this.

mariner

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:05 am

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 1):

Amenity kits? I don't use 'em, I just give 'em away. I loathe cheap razors and soft toothbrushes, I prefer to travel with my own. The socks are all I want, but I have a favourite pair I take with me.

And the whole pyjama thing underwhelms me.

mariner

[Edited 2015-11-02 19:06:43]
aeternum nauta

vhtje

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:15 am

I don't know f this really matters. I fly long haul in J/F a lot - probably on average 8 times a year. I always take my own loose jersey cotton drawstring trousers (or shorts) and a jersey t-shirt on board to change into, along with a change of socks. If I am heading to SYD then a change of underwear as well for the shower in SIN/HKG.

I also take my own toiletries on board - toothbrush, toothpaste, moisturiser and scent, all under the liquid limit, kept in a clear plastic bag, of course.

I do accept the toiletries onboard, but I never open them or use them. I have more unopened toiletries bags from BA, CX, AA, AY and QF than I could ever use. I do give them away and they are excellent for the guest rooms. However, if opened, the BA J toiletries bags make excellent shoe bags.

I also have too many sets of BA and QF pyjamas - more than any sane person needs. I just cannot say no to them when they are offered, even though I know I will never use them. So if the toiletries and PJs were withdrawn, if really wouldn't make any difference to me. It wouldn't stop me from flying airline XYZ.

The one thing that is irresistible to me is the BA FIRST jersey cotton blanket. These are supposed to be kept on board but I always sneak one off with me "accidentally".
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

ardian

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:09 am

I think SQ is missing the boat here. Airlines nowadays do use amenity kits to differentiate themselves. Look at American Airlines and their heritage kits, Etihad in cooperation with LUXE City Guides. the RImowa cases (LH, BR) or the vintage looking Air France Clarins kits.

The amenity kit is nowadays a great part of the branding for an airline. Ofcourse some of the travellers couldn't care less about these kits (as evident in the replies above me), but it's all about exposure. Even the announcement of a renewed amenity kit is reason enough for an official press release; it attracks attention and when airlines are coming up with a series of these kits ('limited edition'/each a different theme or style), people do like to collect them ('collectibles').

It baffles me how a company like SQ, which a meticulous attention to detail, ignores such a simple and easy enhancement for customer experience.

jfkgig

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:14 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 3):
Amenity kits? I don't use 'em, I just give 'em away. I loathe cheap razors and soft toothbrushes, I prefer to travel with my own. The socks are all I want, but I have a favourite pair I take with me.

mariner

Agreed. All I want are the socks and the eyeshade (and maybe the comb). Don't care about pajamas either.

Mortyman

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:47 am

I got an amenity kit in economy on their A380 back in 2013 ...

Coal
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:51 am

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 2):
I don't see how that's considered a product downgrade.

Who said it is a product downgrade?

Quoting ardian (Reply 5):
The amenity kit is nowadays a great part of the branding for an airline. Ofcourse some of the travellers couldn't care less about these kits (as evident in the replies above me), but it's all about exposure. Even the announcement of a renewed amenity kit is reason enough for an official press release; it attracks attention and when airlines are coming up with a series of these kits ('limited edition'/each a different theme or style), people do like to collect them ('collectibles').

That plus the opportunity to partner up with high end / emerging brands. Again, it's less about keeping the mini bottle of moisturizer, and more about branding and what the SQ brand is associated with.

Rgds
Coal

allrite

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:04 am

I've only now realised the benefits of the amenity packs. I now have enough eyeshades to hand out to the surrounding passengers so they can sleep while I leave my blind open. 

The bags themselves have also proven useful for storage of small items while travelling.

I wonder if SQ will have many of those items often found in the bags available for passengers on request. A good way to save costs and weight if most passengers don't use them.
I like artificial banana essence!

blueflyer

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:15 am

Whenever I book Singapore, I never seem to remember I won't be getting a kit. Which is a shame because I never remember I ought to bring my own socks and eye shade (the rest isn't really necessary). In other words, it's perhaps a ding against the overall experience, but it has yet to convince me to book elsewhere.

Quoting Coal (Thread starter):
and would rather spend the money on other things, such as a better cellar and better lounges.

If they are spending the money on better lounges, then the kits are even cheaper than I thought they were, because I really don't see where that extra money makes a difference. Singapore's lounges are nice, but as far as long-haul business class is concerned, not significantly better than the regional competition. I didn't know that they were skipping one to focus on the other, but now that I do, I am rather underwhelmed.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

a320fan

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:22 am

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 7):
I got an amenity kit in economy on their A380 back in 2013 ...

I also remember getting a small amenity kit when flying them in Y way back in 2012 (still feels like yesterday  )
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

Asiaflyer

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:50 am

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 10):
Whenever I book Singapore, I never seem to remember I won't be getting a kit. Which is a shame because I never remember I ought to bring my own socks and eye shade (the rest isn't really necessary).

Why is that a problem? You still get a pair of socks and eye shades from SQ, although it is not packed in a small bag together with all the other stuff, like toothbrush, lotions etc.
SQ,MI,MH,CX,KA,CA,CZ,MU,KE,OZ,QF,NZ,FD,JQ,3K,5J,IT,AI,IC,QR,SK,LF,KL,AF,LH,LX,OS,SR,BA,SN,FR,WF,1I,5T,VZ,VX,AC,NW,UA,US,

chrisrad

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:01 am

SQ's J seat is by far the most spacious in its class and offers top notch catering

Spacious in what? Width? The seat is extremely uncomfortable to sleep on and the size of the foot well is tiny, unless you are lucky to get the bulkhead/exit row seats which has the full width for your feet. I would have never called their catering as "top notch", it's good but there are plenty of other airlines offering better. I still laugh they give a hand towel in a plastic wrapper with their Satay appetiser, even poor little MH manages to give a proper cold towel in a dish with their Satay service.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

Nouflyer

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:27 am

SQ's J seat is by far the most spacious in its class

Only if you are a morbidly obese dwarf.

The SQ seat is excessively wide but has limited pitch.

loalq

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:00 am

While I can agree that other than the seat and entertainment system SQ doesnt differentiate itself from other players (notably CX and QR), I doubt that offering pyjamas or necessaires would have any impact as well. They already provide all that is needed, and I frankly think that necessaires are a novelty that only non-frequent buyers seem to enjoy (for some time, most of them will eventually become trash anyway).
"...this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped."

wingflex744

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:30 am

They have always been very stingy and probably will stay on the same path. JCL meal quality and quantity have been reduced dramatically in the past few years. Although they have an average good cabin crew service onboard the hard product and food/amenity offering are also part of the passengers' perception.

Quoting chrisrad (Reply 13):
Spacious in what? Width? The seat is extremely uncomfortable to sleep on and the size of the foot well is tiny, unless you are lucky to get the bulkhead/exit row seats which has the full width for your feet. I would have never called their catering as "top notch", it's good but there are plenty of other airlines offering better. I still laugh they give a hand towel in a plastic wrapper with their Satay appetizer, even poor little MH manages to give a proper cold towel in a dish with their Satay service.

Could not agree more with you. The existing JCL seat is very spacious by their marketing pictures but in reality If find it very uncomfortable to sleep because half of the legs end up in a tiny hidden zone under the seat in front of you. Besides I prefer seats that do recline and slide into bed position rather than these where you have to stand up and transform the seat by going full upright and then pushing the back of the seat forward.

Just my opinion, I don't expect people to agree with me but I feel this way with SQ nowadays...
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia!

Revelation

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:39 am

With all the suffering cataloged here, perhaps they should offer free diaper rash creme too? Seems like there's some angry red bums that need some soothing...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

sccutler

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:54 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 17):
With all the suffering cataloged here, perhaps they should offer free diaper rash creme too? Seems like there's some angry red bums that need some soothing...

Exactly!

If you miss the amenity kit, by all means, fly another carrier so you can get your $13.00 worth of jammies and goo.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

chrisrad

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Quoting Nouflyer (Reply 14):

Exactly, I'm tall and I could barely fit my legs into the cavity when in the bed mode, it was very uncomfortable.

Quoting sccutler (Reply 18):
Quoting Revelation (Reply 17):

Exactly!

If you miss the amenity kit, by all means, fly another carrier so you can get your $13.00 worth of jammies and goo.

For a 5 star "premium" carrier who command the highest fares more often than not you have a certain level of expectation. Hence why more and more people are flocking towards the ME3.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

infinit

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:21 pm

So this is what SQ has been giving out the last 7 years:

Economy Class: Socks and toothbrushes in a "Givenchy" canvas bag
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q564/airbusmango/RTW%202012%20Across%20The%20Pacific/533.jpg

Business Class: Something between socks and flip-flops and cushy eyeshades

First Class & Suits: A real amenity kit with a full-sized bottle of perfume, and other toiletries (mostly Ferragamo but seasonally by other brands), Givenchy pajamas and socks
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l350/boyszone/SQ%20F%20class/image-9.jpg

In all cabin classes, the toilets are always well-stocked with toothbrushes and 3-blade shavers.

Initially when I actually saved up enough miles from my credit card to redeem a coveted SQ Business Class ticket, I was pissed to learn they actually did not give out amenity kits. After travelling quite a bit work some time after though, it occurred to me all I really need is a toothbrush and a shaver which they already offer. the toilets also have open bottles of good L'occitane toiletries so there is nothing else I quite need.

I wonder why they bother with the socks though.. I don't use them at least and usually leave them in the seat pocket.

Otherwise, the hardware is great, catering is good in all cabin classes especially with the over 50 options they offer for Book the Cook in Business and First. What I like them for best is the crew consistency- the ME3 which have grown so rapidly are terribly inconsistent in that regard. I've had flights on EK where the crew were really enthusiastic to one right after where the crew disappeared behind the galleys after the meal service and only came out hurriedly (and with a lot of attitude) to prepare the cabin for landing. You'll never get the latter on an SQ flight.

As for First Class, I've only taken them once on their older 777 First Class and once on the 380 Suites. The service is First is even better without being too over the top. I wasn't impressed with the older 777 First Class seats which looked like a slightly spruced up version of their famous Business Class. I guess their Business Class is a victim of its own success. It's so amazing and comfortable with that wide 1-2-1 layout that First Class seemed almost like a gimmick of sorts. It was great otherwise and on both trips and again, the crew ensured it was memorable. First Class is where you get a real amenity kit and that's where I expected one. Nothing less than a full sized bottle of perfume and good quality toiletries.

So nope, a Business Class amenity kit stuffed with contents that probably cost $7 isn't going to make me switch loyalties. I'll remain loyal to SQ as long as they maintain the quality of their soft and hard product.

AA777223

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:36 pm

I can do without PJs. However, I do use the amenity kit. Even if I don't use it on board, it's nice to have as a backup in case I run out of something.

I believe while offering an amenity kit in J may not differentiate SQ, I think NOT offering one does differentiate them, but not in a good way, to me. They obviously aren't hurting, so if that's what they choose to do, their choice. I know for me, I would prefer a kit.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

Revelation

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:53 pm

Quoting chrisrad (Reply 19):

For a 5 star "premium" carrier who command the highest fares more often than not you have a certain level of expectation. Hence why more and more people are flocking towards the ME3.

Well, you can always upgrade to F to get your $13.00 worth of jammies and goo.

Really, you'd switch to ME3 just because of the amenity kit?

Quoting infinit (Reply 20):

Initially when I actually saved up enough miles from my credit card to redeem a coveted SQ Business Class ticket, I was pissed to learn they actually did not give out amenity kits. After travelling quite a bit work some time after though, it occurred to me all I really need is a toothbrush and a shaver which they already offer. the toilets also have open bottles of good L'occitane toiletries so there is nothing else I quite need.

Any diaper creme available?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

masseybrown

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:35 pm

I still have (and use) a little sewing kit from a NW amenity kit of years ago. I like amenity kits when they are truly useful.

Gasman

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:37 pm

I agree. The only time I've ever found PJs useful was in F class on EK. Having a shower then getting into the PJs rather than back into my grotty clothes was lovely. Otherwise nah. Where are you going to get changed into them anyway? By the time you manage to do so in the toilets, both you and the PJs will be covered in so much of other people's E-Coli that what you're wearing will be the least of your worries.

planewasted

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:10 pm

I only use the toothbrush in these kits. It nice to brush your teeth after a long haul flight and I don't like bringing liquids in my hand luggage. The rest serves as an OK present to my girlfriend.

For those who travel often I don't think the amenity kit is anything needed, but the first times you travel i J it feels luxurious.

justloveplanes

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:43 pm

If I see what is in the amenity kit on J class now (post above with photos), that's all I use. A toothbrush and eyecovers and a pen. The rest I don't use, ever. It will probably be just cheap stuff. SQ has called it right I think.

Jetstar315

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:13 pm

If you travel Business Class on a train, you just get a bigger seat.
If you upgrade on a ship you just get a bigger cabin.
When you travel business class on an aircraft you should just get a bigger seat and more room plus an upgraded meal.

If a pair of cheap pyjamas and a tiny bottle of au de toilette is THAT important to you, bring your own with you!!!
Why does everybody EXPECT an airline to hand these out free??? I know what your answer will be - "I pay a huge fare".

You are paying a huge fair to have the big seat, the extra room and better meal AND for the cost of speeding you through the air at 900kph using thousands of gallons of fuel. The airlines spend MILLIONS of dollars a year on these unnecessary extras and that money could be better spent on many other things that customers would appreciate more IMHO!!

747-600X

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:14 pm

Wait. This is serious? We're seriously discussing whether or not it's a problem that an airline doesn't give out various goodies in their nicer classes of travel? I'd like to suggest that we get some perspective on this - at the very worst, you are still flying. In a class above economy. There is no way that this could be anything worse than an amusing oddity. To label it "wrong" as the original post does is absurd.

undertheradar

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:36 pm

So some on here are 'complaning' they have far too many pjs or kits at home. You do realize no one is forcing you take them. You can simply say to the F/A , "thanks, but i don't require them". But then again we have created a society of 'self entitlement', In regards the SQ seat, I too am underwhelmed by it. Half of the 'bed' is basically unuseable because you are forced to lay diagonal in one direction to 'fit' your feet into the 'hole'
Just my opinion of course  

i should disclose, i flew the product once, just to 'try it out', and along with the service 'style' of SQ, which doesn't appeal to me either, (too fake/robotic for me), i fly another airline to SIN that better suits me  Smile

[Edited 2015-11-03 15:52:32]

aklrno

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:55 pm

I can't remember which airline it was, but a few years ago I was in J and the FA just came by with a tray of things that you could choose from if you wanted something. What I want is earplugs, eyeshade, and a toothbrush kit. I rarely remember to have these things in my pocket so I like to get them on the aircraft. When I do have those things, I tend to lose them before the next flight. I doubt that the things I want/need cost the airline more than $2. I don't need the whole kit , just the few items I use aboard. The "select from a tray" option seems like a good compromise to me. I do remember to bring some sweat pants and a t shirt to wear on the plane. I'd take the pajamas if offered, but I prefer something that fits me.

avek00

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:56 pm

Slowly but surely, the mythology of SQ as a do-no-wrong airline fades away on a.net.  
Live life to the fullest.

bcworld

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:19 am

Quoting Nouflyer (Reply 14):

...and even the excessive width is not comfortable, there is no support, like sitting on a bench. Hence the reason I assume they added in the cushions which effectively reduce the seat width. More traditional c. 20" wide business seats offer much better comfort IMO.

chrisrad

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:52 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 22):
Quoting chrisrad (Reply 19):

Well, you can always upgrade to F to get your $13.00 worth of jammies and goo.

Really, you'd switch to ME3 just because of the amenity kit?

Missing the point quite clearly - When the ME3 offer that and more for less, I along with many others start questioning for what reason am I paying a premium price to fly SQ? It's not the $13 pyjamas, it's the point of being offered the extras whether you use them or not. The supposed "exceptional" service levels of SQ are not that great to justify a large premium over other airlines, which are just as good and offer a better product. Flying business and first class is also about the experience as a whole.

777Jet

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:56 am

I understand the pajamas but amenity kits? How much does it cost anyway, I doubt it's more than 5% of the price of a ticket.

If they get in bulk kits similar to some of the kits I've received in J on other airlines then I'd be surprised if they cost more than 1% of the average J ticket price... What's the network 'average' SQ one way J fare, $2,000 SGD? Just a guess... But I can't see the average amenity kit costing the airlines more than $20 per kit...

I just flew TG J from SYD-BKK and the kit was in a Samsonite case, on the return 3 weeks later it was is a Thann case, so there are inconsistencies in individual airlines' kits as well...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

dcajet

Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:36 am

Not sure I understand the point of this thread. SQ has not offered a true amenity kit in J in more than a decade. It doesn't seem to have hurt them, has it? Besides, have you been in any of the J lavatories aboard SQ? They are truly a festival of good quality combs, cloth face towels, toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, eau de toilette, moisturisers and other amenities for one to use during the flight as one sees fit. Try other airlines and see what you get. TP and a cheap lotion seems to be it.

Frankly, give me SQ's approach - much more earth friendly with premium amenities than the same old tired and cheap amenity kit of most airlines. The ones that end up in a bag in some obscure corner under the guests' bathroom sink in most FQTV houses.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Coal
Topic Author

Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:45 am

Quoting chrisrad (Reply 33):
Missing the point quite clearly - When the ME3 offer that and more for less, I along with many others start questioning for what reason am I paying a premium price to fly SQ? It's not the $13 pyjamas, it's the point of being offered the extras whether you use them or not. The supposed "exceptional" service levels of SQ are not that great to justify a large premium over other airlines, which are just as good and offer a better product. Flying business and first class is also about the experience as a whole.

That's the whole point. It's not a complaint of not getting a tiny bottle of cologne or some cotton pants and a tshirt. It's that they claim they are spending the money that would go to that on making other things better, namely the wine list and the lounges. But, from experience, their main competitors, e.g. CX and the ME3, not only have better wine lists and better lounges, but to top it all they're also offering nice amenity kits and PJs.

Rgds
Coal

bcworld

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:15 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 36):
e.g. CX and the ME3, not only have better wine lists and better lounges, but to top it all they're also offering nice amenity kits and PJs.

CX definitely isn't offering J PJs, and the J amenity kit is pretty unexciting. Not to mention food is vastly superior on SQ.

N1120A

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 am

Most people throw it out anyways as they have better products in their carry-on.

Taking my toiletry kit out isn't usually something I want to have to do in flight.

I loathe cheap razors and soft toothbrushes

I get disliking cheap razors, but toothbrushes are supposed to be soft. Ask your dentist.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

mariner

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:16 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
I get disliking cheap razors, but toothbrushes are supposed to be soft. Ask your dentist.

I guess the phrase "each to their own" doesn't mean much to you.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Coal
Topic Author

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:55 am

Quoting bcworld (Reply 37):
CX definitely isn't offering J PJs, and the J amenity kit is pretty unexciting. Not to mention food is vastly superior on SQ.

But the CX lounges, especially in HKG, are vastly better than the Silver Kris lounges, including those in SIN. So, saving some pennies on amenity kits to invest more in the lounges is definitely not paying off.

Can't comment on CX's recent J wine list as I haven't flown them in J for a while.

Rgds
Coal

chrisrad

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:49 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 36):
Quoting chrisrad (Reply 33):

That's the whole point. It's not a complaint of not getting a tiny bottle of cologne or some cotton pants and a tshirt. It's that they claim they are spending the money that would go to that on making other things better, namely the wine list and the lounges. But, from experience, their main competitors, e.g. CX and the ME3, not only have better wine lists and better lounges, but to top it all they're also offering nice amenity kits and PJs.

Rgds
Coal

Once upon a time SQ were the one to beat, those days have changed.

StrandedAtMKG

Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:32 am

In this thread: millionaires complaining that Singapore isn't wearing quite enough lipstick when kissing their behinds.

nomadd22

Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:43 am

No pajamas? There goes the 3 year old kid business.
Anon

Coal
Topic Author

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:05 am

Quoting StrandedAtMKG (Reply 42):
In this thread: millionaires complaining that Singapore isn't wearing quite enough lipstick when kissing their behinds

You don't belong here.

Rgds
Coal

coolian2

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:39 am

You must be new here!
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

SQ772

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:48 am

- What is the point in offering amenities that passenger leave behind, give away, don't use?
- When SQ starts offering amenity kits in J, I'll bet many here will start comparing SQ's kits with other airlines. I won't be surprised to see comments like "I pay premium on SQ, and I get such poor quality kits!!"

On the flip side, I do sometimes wonder what SQ spends their money on? More frequent cabin updates? Newer aircrafts? I certainly do not see better quality/quantity food onboard, better lounges etc.
There's always a better way to fly...

chrisrad

Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:02 am

In this thread: millionaires complaining that Singapore isn't wearing quite enough lipstick when kissing their behinds.

No different to people complaining they don't get the entire can of drink with their economy meal..... and no you don't have to be a millionaire to afford business class.

Coal
Topic Author

Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:47 am

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 46):
On the flip side, I do sometimes wonder what SQ spends their money on? More frequent cabin updates? Newer aircrafts? I certainly do not see better quality/quantity food onboard, better lounges etc.

And again we get to the point of the thread.

Read the article though. They clearly state that they spend the S$5-6m that amenity kits and PJs cost in better wines and better lounges. I'm arguing that the SQ lounges are not as good as CX's and the ME3's (who btw offer amenity kits and some offer PJs in J), while the wine list of the ME3 is much better (not sure about CX).

Rgds
Coal

VC10er

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:06 pm

I only ever fly J on international flights. Either because they are business 9 out of 10 times, and one or two free trips.

I just returned from Rio to the USA on everyone's least favorite airline, United (BTW: I think UA is fine, yes I love SQ, but UA is more than fine for me) and their small amenity kit is very much appreciated by me. I do not see a reason for an airline to spend much on the outer kit, but inside I always want my socks, eyeshades and earplugs. Sometimes the mints. I keep the tooth brushes at the bottom of my carry-on for those times I forget to pack a toothbrush. (oh, and the pen, I am always losing pens)

UA now features COWSHED skin care products, I have to presume that COWSHED benefits most given the millions of product trials, but I NEVER USE THE HAND CREAM. Does the airline even buy that skincare kit inside?

The most over the top amenity kit I ever got was on VARIG in First Class over a decade ago. It was the most overdone and silly kit I ever saw, faux leather, zippers all over, detachable inner bag. It took me 15 minutes to reach the stuff inside, that kit, I know it's sitting someplace in a draw right now.

TAM used to come with a card of lots of goodies, and you took what you wanted. Whatever!!! But I forget to take my own, I expect and airline to supply eyeshades, ear plus, toothpaste and socks somehow.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.