Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

avi8tir
Topic Author

Alternate Routings Over The ME

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:43 pm

Just flew DXB-IAD last night.... I take this flight every few weeks but over the last few days, it takes an alternate route due to syria??? I assume...

The interesting thing is that EK doesn't, but UA and DL do. My flight last night as 15h30m on UA! thats about 90 minutes longer than normal for this time of year.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...7/history/20151106/2040Z/OMDB/KIAD

The EK flight that left 2 hours later did it in 14h10m.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...1/history/20151106/2220Z/OMDB/KIAD

Just curious why EK does the "normal" routing, yet DL and UA add 90 minutes to the flight time... must be expensive!!

On a side note, I have also noted that the UA fares have gone up significantly in October, November and December.

solarflyer22

RE: Alternate Routings Over The ME

Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:42 pm

Quoting avi8tir (Thread starter):
Just flew DXB-IAD last night....

That's an odd routing. It seems too northerly but a lot of the time they are just following wind patterns so you can't interpret too much necessarily.

I do think during the sanctions regime, the US encouraged flights to avoid Iran. They make ATC fees which are sanctions exempt and it seemed crazy that EK, UA and DL were flying over ISIS instead.

The insanity of that was appalling as it was around the same time you had MH17.

It was also confirmed recently the USA spotted Israeli planes making a test run into Iran a 2 years ago. It's possible they wanted to avoid commercial traffic in that airspace in case SAM's in Iran were fired at IDF. Iran has a very high quality ATC and full control over their air space and personally I think its crazy to not use it. And they have excellent airport infrastructure in Tabriz, Shiraz and Tehran that could at least allow a A380 to land if needed. Iraq and Syria don't have that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos