Zkpilot
Topic Author

AA Set To Announce LAX-AKL Tomorrow

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:26 pm

"AA Announcement in WLG tomorrow
Qantas has just confirmed that American Airlines chief executive Doug Parker and Qantas boss Alan Joyce will make a 'major announcement for the New Zealand market' in Wellington tomorrow lunchtime."

That is NZ time (so in the evening in the US).

Has been expected for about a year now and follows hot on the heels of UA announcing SFO-AKL and NZ AKL-IAH.
Big capacity increase for AKL-USA!
59 types. 41 countries. 24 airlines.

RemoFlyer

RE: AA Set To Announce LAX-AKL Tomorrow

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:48 pm

Indeed ! (Rumor was they were looking at either LAX or DFW - we'll find out tomorrow)

http://twitter.com/AmericanAir/status/663861109347094528

[Edited 2015-11-09 15:49:30]

MAH4546

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:54 pm

Quoting RemoFlyer (Reply 1):

Indeed ! (Rumor was they were looking at either LAX or DFW - we'll find out tomorrow)

It is LAX.
a.

a380787

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:06 am

Little funny the announcement is out of WLG not AKL

Now DL is the odd man out in terms of no NZ

Coal

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:22 am

Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

B4REAL

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:29 am

DL could consider a response, but this may be a step towards NZ-USA being over-served non-stop. If DL didn't try it first, they'll wait and see....
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

IndianicWorld

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:31 am

^^ I don't get it. What does it mean launching joint Sydney-NZ-Los Angeles routes? QF connections to a AA operated AKL-LAX?

Very odd if they are already starting non-stop SYD-LAX.

ooslc

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:35 am

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 5):
DL could consider a response, but this may be a step towards NZ-USA being over-served non-stop. If DL didn't try it first, they'll wait and see....

SLC-AKL on a 777. One can dream right?
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

IndianicWorld

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:35 am

Quoting B4REAL (Reply 5):

The NZ market is largely based off the back of transfers from Australia, so with other moves occuring it is well and truly on the way to being overserved.

UA's move to start AKL-SFO made little sense in the context of already having its partner airline (NZ) flying the route. A route like MEL-SFO made more sense if it wanted to open up new route opportunities to stimulate additional demand, but this focus on the NZ market does appear a bit misguided at this stage.

chepos

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:43 am

Fingers crossed, NZ is high on my list of places to visit.
Fly the Flag!!!!

DolphinAir747

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:44 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 6):

I would put that behind SLC-DXB and SLC-KEF in terms of likelihood.

IndianicWorld

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:45 am

^^ Hi Dolphin, just a heads up that I didn't right that quote but seems to be attributed to me in your post  

mariner

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:48 am

Quoting a380787 (Reply 3):

Perhaps to brown nose the Minister of Transport to get NZ approval for the JV?

mariner
aeternum nauta

TWA772LR

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:50 am

How big is QF on trans-tasman routes? Seems like connecting in AKL from LA to Australia, would be a much smaller revenue potential than connecting two huge Star hubs and feeding the whole region through AKL.

I think DL would have a better chance making BNE work with Virginia Australia or even starting SEA-SYD, than AA on LAX-AKL.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

commavia

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:53 am

What does it mean launching joint Sydney-NZ-Los Angeles routes? QF connections to a AA operated AKL-LAX?

I suspect that this is referring to this AA route to New Zealand being part of the broader antitrust-immunized joint venture with QANTAS (which is currently pending regulatory approval) which would cover travel between the U.S. and Australia both nonstop and via this new LAX-AKL link.

qf15

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:54 am

Quoting a380787 (Reply 3):

Maybe QF are also announcing a new route but out of WLG? Year round to BNE or even CBR?   

IndianicWorld

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:59 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 14):
I suspect that this is referring to this AA route to New Zealand being part of the broader antitrust-immunized joint venture with QANTAS (which is currently pending regulatory approval) which would cover travel between the U.S. and Australia both nonstop and via this new LAX-AKL link.

It makes sense in that context I agree, but it was just a strange way it was positioned in the article.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 13):
I think DL would have a better chance making BNE work with Virginia Australia or even starting SEA-SYD, than AA on LAX-AKL.

With a 787 it is possible it could work for AA, but it will likely be harder work.

Its not like most Australian airports need more connections to LAX afterall, but this is purely based on trying to limit NZ/UA's ability to grow in that market space.

It will be an interesting time.

SYD-SEA? Not likely  

[Edited 2015-11-09 17:02:14]

IndianicWorld

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:10 am

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/auckland/auckland.jsp

Has Auckland had a destination profile on AA's website for a while?

Had not noticed it before.

Rafabozzolla

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:26 am

I don't get it. What does it mean launching joint Sydney-NZ-Los Angeles routes? QF connections to a AA operated AKL-LAX?

Not that odd. Precisely, it´s either possible to connect from elsewhere in Australia via SYD or AKL to LAX and then on to other points in the USA. Remember, on top of that, OW does not serve NZ-USA non-stop.

IndianicWorld

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:31 am

Quoting Rafabozzolla (Reply 18):
Not that odd. Precisely, it´s either possible to connect from elsewhere in Australia via SYD or AKL to LAX and then on to other points in the USA. Remember, on top of that, OW does not serve NZ-USA non-stop.

My point was that if AA is already starting SYD-LAX, an additional routing of SYD-AKL-LAX would be unnecessary.

AKL-LAX is not a surprise though.

Miami

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:42 am

Great news! Very happy for LAX and American. Well deserved.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

BlatantEcho

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:07 am

This is good news for any west coast based AS Mileage Plan folks who need to get to NZL.

Hopefully it drives prices down a bit as Air NZ has had a monopoly for 3 or so years now.

I don't know anyone who would book XXX-LAX-SYD-AKL when XXX-LAX-AKL was available.
I did LAX-SYD last week, and that's plenty of flying to then just have to backtrack with a 3 hour flight... yikes

ripcordd

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:33 am

5PM CST they will announce the new route to AKL should do very well with the 787 and QF codeshare but NZ has wonderful product

Sydscott

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:51 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 13):
How big is QF on trans-tasman routes?

It depends on whether you're counting their EK partnership or not. The best way to get to AKL is on an Emirates A380 hands down. However QF has a sizeable schedule connecting SYD/MEL/BNE with AKL/WLG/CHC/ZQN. You also have Jetstar on some of the same routes along with OOL - AKL/WLG/CHC/ZQN. So they have a decent schedule but it's mostly about point to point OZ-NZ traffic of which there is a sizeable market.

What will be interesting is if the Jetstar domestic operation within New Zealand is re-timed to feed the AA flight from other New Zealand destinations.

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 21):
I did LAX-SYD last week, and that's plenty of flying to then just have to backtrack with a 3 hour flight... yikes

Soft. That's only 13 to 15 hours!

KirkSeattle

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:03 am

Quoting chepos (Reply 9):
Fingers crossed, NZ is high on my list of places to visit.

Go. Just Go. It's an amazing country. Most friendly, genuine people I've ever met. They are so appreciative of you coming so far, just to visit them. Driving took me some time to figure out, but signage is great but be patient.

I don't know anyone who would book XXX-LAX-SYD-AKL when XXX-LAX-AKL was available.

Well, depends on your trip. I did SEA-LAX-AKL-SYD-MEL-LAX-SEA on Qantas about 5 years ago. The Qantas leg doesn't exist anymore (LAX-AKL) , but it was meaningful for me because after going so far, I wanted to visit both countries.

Side note - (sorry Qantas staff), but checking in at AKL, the Qantas person wasn't very nice. Hence, I flew AKL-SYD, but my luggage went AKL-SYD-SIN-FRA-SIN-SYD-MEL. I didn't let it ruin my trip (friends in SYD were great) and Qantas baggage team was helpful. One bag made it back to SYD on my last day, the other met me in MEL. Stuff happens, and is not the norm. Don't let it ruin you trip. Make sure you ride the A380 - it's a great ride!

Congrats to AA!

Cheers,
KirkSeattle

DiscoverCSG

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:15 am

SYD isn't the only city in Australia.  

aklrno

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:21 am

I did it a few weeks ago because it saved me nearly $3000 on a round trip J class. Went south via MLB, north via SYD on UA.

KirkSeattle

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:34 am

Quoting aklrno (Reply 26):
Went south via MLB, north via SYD on UA.

Small, but big difference. Via MEL. MLB is in Florida (although the same name).

Cheers,
KirkSeattle

Jetmarc

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:06 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Thread starter):
Qantas has just confirmed that American Airlines chief executive Doug Parker and Qantas boss Alan Joyce will make a 'major announcement for the New Zealand market' in Wellington tomorrow lunchtime."

On my way to Sydney tonight and just spotted D.P. in the Qantas First lounge in LAX... so that's where he's headed! LOL
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

aerokiwi

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:44 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 8):
The NZ market is largely based off the back of transfers from Australia, so with other moves occuring it is well and truly on the way to being overserved.

That's a gross exaggeration - "largely based".

True, NZ does get good feed into it's north American routes from across the Tasman, but there has been enough local traffic for some time to sustain most of these flights.

Perhaps for UA, it applies as it opens up Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane rather than going through expensive Australian airports. But I'd say most of the New Zealand market is based on tourism and leisure travel (VFR etc), both inbound and outbound.

It is unusual to announce in WLG, I would have thought. Maybe they'll blow us all away and announce a WLG service. Boom  

N1120A

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:55 am

Not odd at all. It is a pretty natural add.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

IndianicWorld

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:14 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):

Once again, I would feel a SYD-AKL-LAX AA flight would be a strange add if it is starting SYD-LAX non-stop.That would not be a natural add.

I do not find AA adding AKL-LAX odd at all.

deltal1011man

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:20 am

QF has plenty of capacity on SYD-AKL. It makes zero sense to add the tag on the AA flight.

smi0006

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:04 am

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 29):

It is unusual to announce in WLG, I would have thought. Maybe they'll blow us all away and announce a WLG service. Boom

WLG is an interesting choice, I wonder if we will see QF make an announcement for a WLG route. Rather strange Allan Joyce is flying to NZ for an AA route launch even with a JV coming into place. WLG-CBR? I wonder if the AA timings work we could see QF increase PER-AKL to connect?

Hopefully the QF club in AKL will get a bit of a refit to bring it up to the SIN, HKG, and LAX standard.

qf2220

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:08 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 12):

Perhaps to brown nose the Minister of Transport to get NZ approval for the JV?

In the SMH the other day, there was a note on how the tieup was being more tightly scrutinised. This should help that out.

Quoting KirkSeattle (Reply 24):
I flew AKL-SYD, but my luggage went AKL-SYD-SIN-FRA-SIN-SYD-MEL

Wow, what a mess up.

TruemanQLD

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:15 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 33):
WLG is an interesting choice, I wonder if we will see QF make an announcement for a WLG route. Rather strange Allan Joyce is flying to NZ for an AA route launch even with a JV coming into place. WLG-CBR? I wonder if the AA timings work we could see QF increase PER-AKL to connect?

Hopefully the QF club in AKL will get a bit of a refit to bring it up to the SIN, HKG, and LAX standard.

I would think QF has enough capacity on BNE-LAX (and SYD, MEL to lesser extent) that they would prefer to route passengers there.

I would also think year-round BNE-WLG would come before CBR-WLG.

zkncj

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:21 am

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 23):
The best way to get to AKL is on an Emirates A380 hands down.

EK's times are pretty average on the way back from SYD,BNE,MEL.

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 32):
QF has plenty of capacity on SYD-AKL. It makes zero sense to add the tag on the AA flight.

Depends if you want to connect to an 738 which Qantas flies on the Tasman, we're as NZ uses an mix of 777,787,767s and A320s

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 33):

They launched Jetstar regional in WLG, yet all the flights are Auckland based.

mariner

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:24 am

An obvious one, at least, if somewhat unimaginative. It'll do fine and it will be a boon to award travellers, as it was when Qantas flew the route.

Other than loyal American/Qantas flyers, one of its main targets must be those who want to visit both countries - NZ and Oz - as many do, business as well as leisure.

mariner
aeternum nauta

EK413

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:29 am

Money is on LAX-AKL   its the word on the street...

WLG or CHC really doesn't make any sense.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

RWA380

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:41 am

^^ I don't get it. What does it mean launching joint Sydney-NZ-Los Angeles routes? QF connections to a AA operated AKL-LAX?

AKL has QF connecting opportunities to & from many Australian cities, their JV has the largest hole filled now. As a travel agent for decades, most tourist & business travelers will include both places on a trip that far, this now allows AA/QF to let passengers go LAX-AKL (stop) AKL-SYD (stop) SYD-LAX.

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 8):
UA's move to start AKL-SFO made little sense in the context of already having its partner airline (NZ) flying the route.

I do not if this is true, but there are also rumors of NZ trying to get the most viable use of their aircraft & maybe UA can fly daily & NZ can go 5 x weekly? Either way with a JV, they can co-ordinate what works best for the market.

This is good news for any west coast based AS Mileage Plan folks who need to get to NZL

Amen to that, this makes my choice very easy on our trip down under in 2017

Hopefully it drives prices down a bit as Air NZ has had a monopoly for 3 or so years now.

Good point, at times AKL is more expensive than SYD from the west coast of the US.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

coolian2

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:52 am

I have exactly no doubt AA will codeshare with JQ.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

EK413

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:49 am

Agreed, NZ had it sweet until now & it's about time QF/AA gave NZ a run for their money.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

Gasman

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:01 am

So for 13 years we're snubbed by US carriers; now all of a sudden everyone wants to come. Who's next - Southwest?  

Zkpilot
Topic Author

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:06 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 39):

I do not if this is true, but there are also rumors of NZ trying to get the most viable use of their aircraft & maybe UA can fly daily & NZ can go 5 x weekly? Either way with a JV, they can co-ordinate what works best for the market.

Considering NZ are more than daily I very much doubt that. I'd expect UA to build to daily do twice daily between them with NZ operating larger 777.

Gemuser

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:45 am

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 29):
Maybe they'll blow us all away and announce a WLG service.

On their brand new Boeing 314s!!!  
Wouldn't that be a kicker!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

zkojq

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:40 am

Fingers crossed for some 787s! Also, it would be nice if the timings for the LAX-AKL-LAX flights (assuming that's what it is) were a bit different to Air New Zealand's ones.

Unfortunately, if AA launches the route, it makes it certain that we won't see Qantas flying it ever again.   

Quoting zkncj (Reply 36):

?? The announcement for that (with Mr Joyce and Mr Key) was made in the domestic terminal at AKL.

Quoting gasman (Reply 42):
So for 13 years we're snubbed by US carriers

At least Hawaiian has been showing us some love.  
First to fly the 787-9

Zkpilot
Topic Author

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:58 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 45):
Fingers crossed for some 787s! Also, it would be nice if the timings for the LAX-AKL-LAX flights (assuming that's what it is) were a bit different to Air New Zealand's ones.

QF tended to depart before NZ (in time to connect with the JFK flight). Since AA is probably going to be serving Americans more than Kiwis it would probably make sense for them also to depart earlier for connections.

The interesting thing is going to be how NZ responds. Things like baggage allowances have been cut back to 1PC @23kg on NZ while AA will likely have 2x23kg as will UA. HA has 2x32kg!
Either they bump up the allowance, or reduce the baggage charge. You can prepay for an extra bag for $95 but if you are going beyond gateway to any other US city then they charge you $200 instead!

Unclekoru

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:22 pm

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 45):

?? The announcement for that (with Mr Joyce and Mr Key) was made in the domestic terminal at AKL.

It was made at Wellington airport, with Key and Joyce present IIRC.

NSN-WLG was also announced at the launch.

It's not that uncommon for New Zealanders to travel to the US via Australia, V Australia was moving fairly large numbers through BNE and SYD when it first started serving LAX. But yes, it is the long way.
It sounds like english, but I can't understand a word you're saying

hohd

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:10 pm

This is going to hurt UA's SFO-AKL, especially with NZ already serving this market and clearly LAX-AKL is a much bigger market. AA has decent connections built up in LAX that it will draw more connecting traffic than UA/SFO.

B4REAL

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:20 pm

Quoting ooslc (Reply 7):

If DL ever gets their 787s that NW ordered, it may happen - but they may find more routes in line first.

But HNL-AKL on a DL 763 they could do.

DL also could do NRT-AKL-NRT on a 763 also by the way, but I don't see either happening.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos