Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Antti
Topic Author

DC-9-10 To Finland!

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi!

Project is on, just came across this! Finnish aviation museum is trying to get this from Kenya.
The very last chance to fly onboard pax baby nine at Europe!

Found more info here:

http://www.traveller.fi/last-call/

I will be there for sure!!

Best regards from Finland
Antti

Polot

RE: DC-9-10 To Finland!

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:31 pm

I have my doubts, especially as they seem to be unsure they can even do this:

Quote:
Due the nature of the flight, there are many uncertain things that can effect the flight from happening. Such as: Commercial,Technical or Official challenges.

Those are kind of things you should probably figure out before making calls for people to buy tickets, especially as I can see a lot of regulatory and insurance hurdles. The Finnish Aviation Museum is not an airline.

NWAROOSTER

Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:43 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 1):

I have to agree with your statement.

Quoting Polot (Reply 1):

Quote:
Due the nature of the flight, there are many uncertain things that can effect the flight from happening. Such as: Commercial,Technical or Official challenges.

Those are kind of things you should probably figure out before making calls for people to buy tickets, especially as I can see a lot of regulatory and insurance hurdles. The Finnish Aviation Museum is not an airline.

From my experience, with exception of new aircraft deliveries, ferry flights are usually limited to active airline employees and people necessary to handle any problems with the flight to it's final destination.
I will note, if this aircraft is the one pictured, photos on Airliners.net show it to be a very flyable aircraft in good condition.   

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Guido Potters
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sam Chui

Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

cedarjet

Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:06 pm

It's definitely happening, the museum have bought the aeroplane. So, to deal with the usual pessimists.

Quoting Polot (Reply 1):

Quote:

That is purely a disclaimer. Everything is organised except for a few last minute details. The reason for that paragraph is because, let's face it, even new aeroplanes go tech. I've been around avgeeks when a charter flight for enthusiasts goes even very slightly off the flight plan and and its not pretty. It's only sensible to warn people that things might not go exactly to plan given that there is very high expectations with some people.

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 2):
I will note, if this aircraft is the one pictured, photos on Airliners.net show it to be a very flyable aircraft in good condition.

That is the aeroplane and yes it is in immaculate condition -- I have flown on it four times and the pilots all said, they never think about the age of the aeroplane, it is reliable all the time. That disclaimer is unlikely to be referred back to after the event.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

saleya22r

Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi Antti!
I already posted this a few days ago:
Last Flight For DC-9-14 (5Y-XXA) Now Planned (by saleya22r Nov 6 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Have you perhaps heard any inside info about the project? It's just little over two weeks from now, do they have enough bookings etc?

sk736

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:32 pm

Are there really people out there prepared to hand over €300 for a trip that isn't even confirmed? And the organiser keeps €50 if they cancel the trip!

cvg2lga

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:25 am

Quoting sk736 (Reply 5):
Are there really people out there prepared to hand over €300 for a trip that isn't even confirmed? And the organiser keeps €50 if they cancel the trip!

For the chance to fly on a DC9-14, I would =)
Happily. Gladly!

Tchau

DA-
They don't call em' emergencies anymore. They call em' Patronies.

RobK

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:34 am

Quoting sk736 (Reply 5):

Based on 72 seats, seems like an easy way for the organiser to quickly pocket a tidy 3600 Euros without any comeback. I wonder which mugs will sign up for it?

George Agdgdgwngo in his new job?

[Edited 2015-11-11 20:36:09]

Antti
Topic Author

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:07 am

I see a very special project here. Someone is really trying to do something and save aviation history. Not too many projects like this at Europe nowdays? Not too many baby nines preserved at the museums. This is not to make profit for somebody, this is to save one DC-9 into a museum.
And the same time there's a chance to actually fly on one of the really classic jets. Inside Europe! The very last and only chance!
Yes, I'm really willing to gamble my 50 euros for that chance! I can't see any conspiracy to collect people's money here..
So, sign up today!

Antti

RobK

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:17 am

If it's legit then why isn't the 50 euros refundable in the event the flight never happens or any other reason?

Antti
Topic Author

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:25 am

My guess would be travel agents fee. They are working on this, no matter if the flight will succeed or not.
For more info contact aviation museum directly, I'm sure they'll answer your questions.

Antti

UA444

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:28 am

Is it going to go back in AY colors?

mcr

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Quoting sk736 (Reply 5):

It's worse than that - €300 is just the deposit... NBO-HEL will set you back €2500 if it actually happens!

Antti
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:25 am

Will be in East African colours. But if this goes through she will be painted into AY colours one day.
Around one more week for ticket sales, act now!

Antti

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos