dabpit

RE: WN's Swapa President Resigns And WN Merger?

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 89):
Which brings us to equity investments. Codeshare approval a MUST.

WN and COPA? COPA is being squeezed in *Star thanks to AV...an alliance with WN would be most interesting.

WN and PD? WIthout the runway extension at YTZ, PD needs a good friend. WN could be that friend.

WN and FI. They've flirted before at BWI, but now the systems would mesh quite nciely. WN to Europe via KEF, why not?

Each of those would be a good partnership and if they made a large investment in Copa that would be even better!

PD flies to many WN strong holds now so that would be another good investment option.

FI would make a good partner for flights to Europe instead of an investment.

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 89):
And of course the question of a Southwest Express option. Again...codesharing a must.

WN prides themselves on not flying any regional jets so unless there is a major change this will never happen.
Carpe Diem

airliner371

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 100):

No, you can redeem rapid rewards points all over the world with Alitalia and many others.

Quoting dabpit (Reply 101):

A regional operation will happen eventually.

dabpit

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:59 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 102):
A regional operation will happen eventually.

It really is not part of the WN business model and once again one of WNs marketing points is that they do not fly any regional planes.
Carpe Diem

a380787

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:18 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 102):
No, you can redeem rapid rewards points all over the world with Alitalia and many others.

maybe you can enlighten me where I can find that. I logged into my RR account and the only place I can locate is essentially treating RR points as a proxy for cash and directly buy an international ticket at the ongoing cash rate. Am I missing something ?

The standard WN redemption rate for their own flights is 70 RR points per USD $1.0 cash price. So for a $8000 business class ticket to Asia we're talking about 560,000 RR points ??

airliner371

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:25 pm

Quoting dabpit (Reply 103):

It's really not anymore, while true that they have all 737s, it's not really part of marketing. Southwest has greatly evolved over the last few years and eventually they will have a regional fleet.

Quoting a380787 (Reply 104):

I'm on mobile but try this link.

http://www.1.awardhq.com/24468SWA0SW...tainment-travel-flights/_/N-115940

dabpit

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:32 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 105):
It's really not anymore, while true that they have all 737s, it's not really part of marketing. Southwest has greatly evolved over the last few years and eventually they will have a regional fleet.

Still doubtful, they enjoy a single fleet type currently and at most within the next 10 years they will get a larger aircraft for long-haul international flights not smaller airplanes for regional flights.
Carpe Diem

a380787

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 105):
I'm on mobile but try this link.

http://www.1.awardhq.com/24468SWA0SW...tainment-travel-flights/_/N-115940

Yup I see the same site, which just basically treats RR points as a proxy for cash to perform shopping at the retail value.

airliner371

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 107):

Damn you complain about everything. If it ain't JetBlue you clearly don't want to hear about it...

a380787

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:53 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 108):
Damn you complain about everything. If it ain't JetBlue you clearly don't want to hear about it...

No, I'm stating a fact. Your distortionist statement attempts to portray to the unsuspecting that WN actually partners with Alitalia (and others) and has access to their saver-level award seats, when in fact, it's nothing but a cash purchase.

If you want a meaningful discussion, then stick with facts. If you want to troll and insult, then go back to Dallas.

tom11

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:46 pm

The Dept. Of Justice would be irresponsible and hurt the consumer by allowing a B6/WN merger to go through. B6 and WN compete in many key Northeast to Florida markets -- look at BDL and PVD, to name a couple of examples. If B6 and WN merge we likely see a reduction in flights and a raise in prices...sure, great for the new WN/B6 but disastrous for the consumer. This would give the new airline powerhouses in BOS, JFK, BWI, MCO, FLL, etc. It would severely hurt competition and negatively affect the consumer.

There is no way that a WN/B6 merger would happen in today's environment.

INFINITI329

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:47 pm

Quoting dabpit (Reply 101):
WN prides themselves on not flying any regional jets so unless there is a major change this will never happen.

WN will need either a bigger or smaller aircraft

Quoting tom11 (Reply 111):
This would give the new airline powerhouses in BOS, JFK, BWI, MCO, FLL, etc. It would severely hurt competition and negatively affect the consumer.

BOS- I can't formulate an opinion on BOS, I am not really not aware of the nature of ops there.

JFK- Besides B6, the only other domestic carriers in JFK with any bite are AA & DL. A WN/B6 merger would have neutral effect on JFK. Maybe a little growth but nothing scale tipping

BWI- Another neutral change. WN already controls BWI at roughly 56% of the market share.

MCO- Both carriers have hubs at MCO. A combined carrier will control at least 44% of the market share. WN is #1 and B6 is #3. A combined carrier would DOMINATE the MCO market. With the #2 carrier being no where close to the combined carrier's numbers at mere 16%. So this could be a problem depending on who you ask.

FLL- A similar situation to MCO as well. Here B6 is #1 and WN is #3. A combined carrier would have a 39% market share at FLL. Once again can be an issue.

**Fiscal yr 2015 numbers used**

tom11

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 118):
BOS- I can't formulate an opinion on BOS, I am not really not aware of the nature of ops there.

B6 controls 30% of the BOS market. Southwest does have a sizable operation though, with 15 n/s destinations.

Look at BDL, for example. WN has a 30% market share and B6 comes in at about 15%. That's about a 45% market share for the merged airline...not something that would be good for BDL.

Would be even worse for PVD: Right now, WN has a 46% market share at PVD. Add in B6's 8% share and the new merged airline would control well over 50% of the market.

a380787

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:18 pm

Quoting tom11 (Reply 119):
B6 controls 30% of the BOS market. Southwest does have a sizable operation though, with 15 n/s destinations.

Look at BDL, for example. WN has a 30% market share and B6 comes in at about 15%. That's about a 45% market share for the merged airline...not something that would be good for BDL.

Would be even worse for PVD: Right now, WN has a 46% market share at PVD. Add in B6's 8% share and the new merged airline would control well over 50% of the market.

I agree that between B6 at BOS and WN at MHT+PVD, the hypothetical carrier would have an immense presence in BOS region. Hard to say that's good for consumers at all. And unlike places like DCA or LGA, there aren't slots that the feds can leverage and force them to divest at BOS ... at most a couple of gates.

dabpit

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:19 pm

WN will need either a bigger or smaller aircraft

It will more than likely end up being a bigger aircraft as it seems more probable for WN to start long-haul international flights and a partnership with FI or another international (more than likely in Europe) would help.

What potential airlines could WN partner with or invest in that has a decent presence in Europe (exclude FI)?

MCO- Both carriers have hubs at MCO. A combined carrier will control at least 44% of the market share. WN is #1 and B6 is #3. A combined carrier would DOMINATE the MCO market. With the #2 carrier being no where close to the combined carrier's numbers at mere 16%. So this could be a problem depending on who you ask.

FLL- A similar situation to MCO as well. Here B6 is #1 and WN is #3. A combined carrier would have a 39% market share at FLL. Once again can be an issue.

There are a lot of overlapping routes on WN and B6 out of MCO and FLL.
Carpe Diem

mariner

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Quoting AirFRNT (Reply 90):
F9's leadership is in it for a IPO, I doubt that WN would want to pay that. They had their chance, and SWAPA killed it. Move on.

I agree with the first part of your statement (the IPO), but not the second. As Sean Menke said after the auction, the Southwest pilots didn't help, but they weren't the main issue.

Southwest was so certain of success, it failed to do its homework, seriously underbid, and used the pilots as an excuse:

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2009/08/17/daily59.html

"Asked in the WSJ interview about Southwest's failed Frontier bid, Kelly admitted that his company was "probably a little late getting into the game. Unbeknown to us, Republic had already formulated its own plan."

I don't know how Republic's plan could be "unbeknown" - I live in New Zealand, and I knew.

I think the Frontier IPO probably puts paid to any ideas anyone has of a merger at at Frontier, because clearly William Franke intends to make a shedload of money from it. After the IPO? It's a standard pattern at Indigo that it doesn't sell its entire holding at the IPO, but hangs on to some. It still owns 13% of Wizz Air, even after selling a big bunch at the IPO. Same-same with Spirit.

This doesn't preclude an eventual, post-IPO, merger, of course, but Mr. Franke's evident desire to make wheelbarrows full of money may put any potential suitor off.

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 122):
It sucks when a clearly well informed poster is so poorly behaved that it makes it difficult to read her posts.

tortugamon

Hmmmm? I'm having trouble working out who you mean. As an amused, and only mildly interested, observer - A Frontier Fanboy, LOL - I think it's quite an interesting debate about a subject which seems to have no basis in fact.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Dallas

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:45 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 114):
Hmmmm? I'm having trouble working out who you mean. As an amused, and only mildly interested, observer - A Frontier Fanboy, LOL - I think it's quite an interesting debate about a subject which seems to have no basis in fact.

All of the posts were deleted by mods, pertaining to a380787. Trust me, you're lucky and smarter for missing all of her deleted posts.

wwtraveler99
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:05 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 110):

I am not sure how either of these would be an issue? Neither are slot controlled. Both are open for anyone to serve. Yes a WN/B6 would have a larger market share. What does that matter? Look at market share for DL in some of its markets. Then compare those markets to what DL ior AA or UA charge when there is no competition. I think you will see that the difference of what WN charges in a monopoly market isn't as much as others do when they have a monopoly market.

WW

tortugamon

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:49 pm

Quoting wwtraveler99 (Reply 116):
I am not sure how either of these would be an issue? Neither are slot controlled. Both are open for anyone to serve. Yes a WN/B6 would have a larger market share. What does that matter? Look at market share for DL in some of its markets.

Agreed, DL has 78% market share in ATL. AA has ~85% market share at DFW. AS has over 50% share at SEA are just a couple examples. The problem exists when there is a high concentration and no slot availability as you say.

tortugamon

mariner

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:01 pm

Quoting Dallas (Reply 115):
All of the posts were deleted by mods, pertaining to a380787. Trust me, you're lucky and smarter for missing all of her deleted posts.

Thanks.

I thought some of those posts were very interesting, although I can see why they ruffled a few feathers - LOL.

Oh, well. Life goes on.

mariner
aeternum nauta

flyby519

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:46 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 117):

Also, the DOT approved the WN/FL merger without caring about the combined BWI market share. They only seem to get involved in slot controlled airports.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos