kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 20/15: Fresh Winds Of Change

Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:48 pm

Well, we're certainly not short of wind today! Having started the last thread in the 30+ degrees of Dubai, I can certainly feel a chill wind here in Dublin!

It's been an interesting thread, 19/15, sadly dominated by the awful news of EI-ETJ, the Metrojet A321 destroyed by terrorists over the Sinai Peninsula - a reminder that the threat of terrorism remains very real.

In other developments:
- Flybe cuts another route from DUB (BOH)
- Traffic to DUB maintaining a 15% growth rate in 2015; good signs for further growth in 2015.
- Ethiopian likely to be the first A350 operator into DUB, with its new New York flight starting in June
- Lawsuit brought by EI stewardess over (allegedly) bounced landing

Here's the link to the last thread, should anyone wish to be nostalgic: Irish 19/15 - Sciathain Glas (by kaitak Oct 23 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Enjoy our new thread folks, and let's hope the last few weeks of 2015 are safe for us all ...

[Edited 2015-11-12 04:49:36]

Eagleboy

RE: Irish 20/15: Fresh Winds Of Change

Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:08 pm

To back up the comments from EIbusiness and OA260 from the end of last thread..........
EI longhaul catering is definitely going downhill, portion sizes are being reduced and there is an increasing lack of appetisings visual appeal in both cabins.
As EIBusiness pointed out the good service in J class is at teh detrriment of the service in Y. A very shortsighted decision IMHO, most pax experiene EI in Y Class, indeed some Y Class pax are only there as J Is full.

RRTrent

Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:41 pm

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):
Well, we're certainly not short of wind today!

I'm sitting looking at FR24 and can see that EK162 is in the queue for a 16 departure. It must be bad outside to send a 77W out off it. Id normally see the heavies remain using 10 when everyone else uses 16.

OA260

Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:45 pm

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):
- Ethiopian likely to be the first A350 operator into DUB, with its new New York flight starting in June

That will be something to head to DUB to watch.  
Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 1):
lack of appetisings visual appeal in both cabins.

I presume the only way to get a decent meal in Y these days is to upgrade to the Bia pre order menu for €22-25.

OMP777X

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:26 pm

I'm no expert on Irish law, but EIBusiness, can you please elaborate on your quote for some of us lay people who are trying to follow what you meant when you say "I have personal experience of legal proceedings where 'soft tissue' injuries were alleged. To be clear; I know nothing of the case facts in this instance; nor am I suggesting the claim is a falsity; but a VERY HIGH proportion of such 'soft tissue' injury cases are easy 'opt out' clauses where no tangible medical evidence exists (to any meaningful extent) of injury; and the claimant is looking for 'soft money'."

What exactly is an 'opt out' clause? I'm new to the term "soft tissue injury" when referring to whiplash or neck injuries, but aren't those type of injuries fairly easily documented through MRI and the like? Even her experiencing PTSD as she's claimed can be verified through testing, can't it? I guess it seems unlikely to me she'd have any witnesses step forward to back up her side of the story at all, let alone to the extent that her coworkers have, especially seeing as they too are EI employees.

It seems to me after reading the two brief articles linked to in the previous thread that this woman would have to be pretty off her rocker, along with her other witnesses, if she was to have concocted some sort of dim witted scheme to possibly get her hands on some 'soft money' (again for me...?) nearly seven years down the road, if ever. I don't dispute the validity of your above statement in general, but what of this case that you know of based on personal experience (albeit you claim to know nothing about it yet) makes you suspect she's of the same crowd of criminals who con insurance companies for a living? I'm very curious to see how EI presents its defense to this case.

I knew nothing about this incident until about ten minutes ago, but IMHO if this woman is faking it to any degree whatsoever her former coworkers wouldn't have said what they've claimed to have experienced in court unless they were in cahoots with her on this potential master plan to maybe make some money off of the airline at some point in the future by perjury themselves. Please, don't think I'm questioning you or your logic outside of that remark, I'm just interested in knowing more of the facts to support your opinion.

Best,

OMP777X
"Happy Flighting!"

BrianDromey

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Quoting OMP777X (Reply 4):
What exactly is an 'opt out' clause? I'm new to the term "soft tissue injury" when referring to whiplash or neck injuries, but aren't those type of injuries fairly easily documented through MRI and the like? Even her experiencing PTSD as she's claimed can be verified through testing, can't it?

Although Im not an Orthopaedic Surgeon (I'm an Obstetrician and Gynaecologist) I'll do my best to help. I should say that I have never met the woman in question and that I have never treated her.

So, in general, soft tissue injuries are typically injuries to the skin, fat, fascia and muscles of the Musculo-Skeletal system, they are an injury which does not involve the bones of the skeleton. They are difficult to investigate. Although MRI can be used, the absence of visible injury on imaging does not exclude the presence of injury. A high proportion of these injuries can evolve into a chronic pain-type syndrome, again difficult to treat and impossible to image. Clinical Examination by an experienced orthopaedic expert (doctor, physiotherapist, etc) is more helpful than imaging in the majority of these cases.
There are criteria for the diagnosis of PTSD. In medico-legal terms to have a successful claim she is likely to have any evidence from an experienced psychiatrist or psychotherapist to give to the court. The court may be interested in the effects the condition has had on her daily life, the treatments she has had and her likely prognosis.

There are certainly documented cases of crew sustaining "whiplash"-type conditions on landing and psychological after-effects. For example, a BA landing in MAD where 8 crew were injured on landing.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-dead-beach-one-month-later.html

I hope this helps,

Brian.

OMP777X

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 5):
I hope this helps,

Brian.

Thank you very much for your valuable insight.

So, this to me sounds like she will be proven to be legitimately suffering from injury after some doctors give witness testimony? Or, on the flip side they may say she's a-okay and the claim should be dismissed?

I wonder if the passengers will support her version of the events as well as possibly the captain. It would get very interesting if they had a different recollection of the events from that day. It truly does sound like it was a horrifying experience, and had a great potential to have caused someone a "soft tissue" type of injury. If that is similar to degenerative disc disease or having foraminal stenosis from bulging discs, etc like I have, she may even need some outpatient surgery to relieve pain at some point if she hasn't already.
"Happy Flighting!"

OA260

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:24 pm

Some interesting patterns being made around DUB this afternoon. Gusty winds loads holding .

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/Screen%20Shot%202015-11-12%20at%2015.22.50_zpsdvnoxhoc.jpg
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/Screen%20Shot%202015-11-12%20at%2015.23.14_zpslpxml0sn.jpg

[Edited 2015-11-12 07:28:22]

EIBusiness

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:37 pm

Quoting OMP777X (Reply 4):
What exactly is an 'opt out' clause? I'm new to the term "soft tissue injury" when referring to whiplash or neck injuries, but aren't those type of injuries fairly easily documented through MRI and the like? Even her experiencing PTSD as she's claimed can be verified through testing, can't it? I guess it seems unlikely to me she'd have any witnesses step forward to back up her side of the story at all, let alone to the extent that her coworkers have, especially seeing as they too are EI employees.

It seems to me after reading the two brief articles linked to in the previous thread that this woman would have to be pretty off her rocker, along with her other witnesses, if she was to have concocted some sort of dim witted scheme to possibly get her hands on some 'soft money' (again for me...?) nearly seven years down the road, if ever. I don't dispute the validity of your above statement in general, but what of this case that you know of based on personal experience (albeit you claim to know nothing about it yet) makes you suspect she's of the same crowd of criminals who con insurance companies for a living? I'm very curious to see how EI presents its defense to this case.

I knew nothing about this incident until about ten minutes ago, but IMHO if this woman is faking it to any degree whatsoever her former coworkers wouldn't have said what they've claimed to have experienced in court unless they were in cahoots with her on this potential master plan to maybe make some money off of the airline at some point in the future by perjury themselves. Please, don't think I'm questioning you or your logic outside of that remark, I'm just interested in knowing more of the facts to support your opinion.

Hi OMP777X,

Perhaps I was not so clear earlier. When I referred to personal experience; it was experience nothing to do with this case. To restate; I know nothing of the background facts to this case or the person involved nor am I saying to any extent that the claim is false.

I am speaking more in the context of increasing levels of insurance fraud in Ireland in recent years; the proceeds from which I was referring to as ''soft money''. My reference to ''opt-out'' related to not having to prove clearly visible physical injuries. In Ireland; often times such ''soft tissue'' injury claims will be dealt with through a specific claims board; that falls outside of the court system; hence opting-out of the conventional litigation process.

My personal experience relates to an instance whereby more than one year after an incident occurred; a 'soft-tissue' injury was proposed by the claimant. Ultimately a settlement was made; but it was common knowledge that the incident was self-inflicted; and that in reality this person was entirely able bodied and proceeding with their normal life. The view sometimes taken by insurance companies is that the price of payout for soft-tissue injuries (generally lower tiers of compensation) is lower than that of the legal costs associated with challenging such claims. Hence; we have seen a sharp increase in the number of such claims.

As Brian has very well pointed out; these injuries are sometimes very difficult to image; i.e. prove/disprove. Notably; I'm speaking about physical injuries rather than PTSD etc.

What I would say is that I'm sure it was an extremely turbulent flight; likely a bad approach - we've all experienced them. The question here is; if compensation is awarded for a 'hard' landing that resulted from challenging weather conditions; what precedent does this set for the industry? Can I make a claim tomorrow because I'm now traumatised after a bumpy approach? Where is the cut off point? Does an airline's duty of care extend to somehow ensuring that the approach is not bumpy so that there is no risk of injury? It'll be really interesting to see where this one lands..!

EIBusiness

[Edited 2015-11-12 07:38:42]
Vivo Per Lei...

OMP777X

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:33 pm

Quoting EIBusiness (Reply 8):

Perhaps I was not so clear earlier. When I referred to personal experience; it was experience nothing to do with this case. To restate; I know nothing of the background facts to this case or the person involved nor am I saying to any extent that the claim is false.

I see where you're coming from. I understood your comment to be unrelated to the case at hand, but it intrigued me to know more about the flaws present within the system there and how they could influence the outcome of this case. I did a cursory search on some of those terms and came up with totally unrelated results. I appreciate you adding to the picture you had begun to paint for us in the last thread.

What I would say is that I'm sure it was an extremely turbulent flight; likely a bad approach - we've all experienced them. The question here is; if compensation is awarded for a 'hard' landing that resulted from challenging weather conditions; what precedent does this set for the industry? Can I make a claim tomorrow because I'm now traumatised after a bumpy approach?

I see again where you are coming from. With respect to this case it sounds like that was more than a hard landing. The senior flight attendant almost declared an emergency due to alcohol bottles breaking in the overhead compartments and spilling all over the cabin, along with several other indicators before and after that event that suggest it was truly more of a crash landing than a hard one (BTW, I use the term crash loosely here to merely suggest if you land hard enough, it is going to seem like you've been in a crash, I'm not suggesting the plane was damaged at all). Apparently the crew had even been instructed not to talk about it to others because the copilot feared for what others might think of him afterwards. After reading about it this doesn't seem to me like a nonissue that a greedy opportunist would use to their advantage for financial gain.

Does an airline's duty of care extend to somehow ensuring that the approach is not bumpy so that there is no risk of injury?

Not that the approach should be bump free, but the touchdown shouldn'cause anyone any type of a whiplash injury or trauma to their cervical spine. If doctors concur that her injury is valid it seems EI may have a hard time proving the descent rate was normal, and that the aircraft didn't slam into the runway a few times like witnesses alleged.

It'll be really interesting to see where this one lands..!

Indeed! I will have to get on the phone to Ireland and weigh in on this one with my father, seeing as he is an insanely good judge of character and follows the news there very closely.
"Happy Flighting!"

JAmie2k9

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:18 pm

Looks like BHD-LGW gets axed from end of winter season.

Widly expected so not a shockr.

OA260

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:42 pm

More passengers are complaining about Aer Lingus than Ryanair

LAST YEAR MORE airline passengers made more complaints about Aer Lingus than Ryanair.

The new figure indicate success for Ryanair’s policy announced last year that it would be improving its customers service offering.

In the first six months of this year the Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR), the independent public body responsible for handling complaints, received 2,116 complaints from passengers.

Out of these, almost 1,700 complaints were to do with baggage, pricing, safety and air carrier policy issues – problems that fall outside of the remit of the CAR.

A total of 420 valid complaints were left over, the bulk of which related to cancellations of flights or long delays.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/nation...VAxT?li=AAacYg0&ocid=mailsignoutmd

OA260

Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:36 pm

3rd day in court :

Captain Ryan told the court today when the plane bounced it was the second opportunity to make the decision to go around to attempt to land again.

He said there is a cross wind phenomenon at Dublin Airport and, when it is turbulent, it is a full time job to manage an aeroplane.

Given the conditions with gusty wind, the plane should have had a rate of descent of about 500 to 600 feet per minute. But 16 feet above the runway the rate of descent was 1,400 feet per minute when it should have been reducing to 300 to 400 feet per minute.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...o-try-and-land-again-34195240.html

Also I think this is the first time they mention it is a female pilot involved but no names.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:02 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 12):
Given the conditions with gusty wind, the plane should have had a rate of descent of about 500 to 600 feet per minute. But 16 feet above the runway the rate of descent was 1,400 feet per minute when it should have been reducing to 300 to 400 feet per minute.

I thought at the outset that this lady was just looking for money, but 1,400fpm ... sheesh, that it seriously high - and (if that's what it was at touchdown), you're probably looking at some serious structural damage. Presumably the crew lodged a heavy landing report, because they would probably have needed a structural check after that.

Does EI use QARs (Quick Access Recorders)? ... these would have shown the descent rate at touchdown.

Aer Lingus

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:31 am

A LOAD 15 heavy landing report should have been automatically generated by the aircraft if acceleration on the bounced landing reached 2.6g.

Eagleboy

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:12 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 13):
Presumably the crew lodged a heavy landing report, because they would probably have needed a structural check after that.

Article yesterday states that the captain did make a report of a heavy landing 9 days later.
The problem here is that the term "heavy landing" is very specific in aviation, but the word is often used to describe a firm landing.

RRTrent

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:55 am

Regarding the current EI case in the HC, Captain Ryan mentions that at 16ft AGL the rate of decent was 1400fpm. The height is a very specific number, and suggests to me that until that point, the approach was stable. If there was wind shear at 16ft I would imagine that hitting the ground was inevitable even if a go around was executed. Instead the PF got it down despite what I believe to be a strong gust in the flare.

Although 1400fpm is above normal, its still only 25kph which is not going to do much damage, especially if your ready for it. As a flight attendant she would have more experience that your average layman, so during an approach in bad weather, should she not have expected the unexpected?

OMP777X

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:33 am

[quote=RRTrent,reply=16]
Although 1400fpm is above normal, its still only 25kph which is not going to do much damage, especially if your ready for it. As a flight attendant she would have more experience that your average layman, so during an approach in bad weather, should she not have expected the unexpected?
[/quote
What would you suggest she should've done? Should she have braced for impact in the crash landing position in front of the passengers without anyone suggesting that the passengers do the same? I imagine everyone at that moment was expecting an impact, but not one 3-4 as hard as usual, despite whatever the conditions. Hindsight is 20/20.
"Happy Flighting!"

Aer Lingus

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:08 am

Quoting OMP777X (Reply 17):
Although 1400fpm is above normal, its still only 25kph which is not going to do much damage, especially if your ready for it.

What nonsense! Think of momentum man, mass x velocity!

What would you rather coming toward you when standing behind a brick wall:

1. A football approaching at 25kph or
2. An Abrams tank approaching at 25kph.

I know my choice!

Its all in the momentum. Vertical or horizontal, it makes no difference as its a vector quantity!

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:13 am

[/quote
What would you suggest she should've done? Should she have braced for impact in the crash landing position in front of the passengers without anyone suggesting that the passengers do the same? I imagine everyone at that moment was expecting an impact, but not one 3-4 as hard as usual, despite whatever the conditions. Hindsight is 20/20.
Quoting Aer Lingus (Reply 18):
1. A football approaching at 25kph or
2. An Abrams tank approaching at 25kph.

It's not really the same, because we are talking about downward velocity; a football will bounce off you (a tank, possibly less so), but when you hit the ground at 23' per second, you'll feel it. I'm reminded of Douglas Adam's theories of flight training ... "flying is all about learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss ... and sadly those who fail to miss it, tend to miss it quite hard". Aircraft are not intended to be thrown at the ground at that speed. She'll bloody lucky she wasn't in an MD11, or she'd probably have been upside down!

RRTrent

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:17 am

What would you suggest she should've done? Should she have braced for impact in the crash landing position in front of the passengers without anyone suggesting that the passengers do the same?

No, what I'm saying is, I would expect someone of her experience be aware that in bad weather, landings can be firmer than normal. The events described by her in court would confirm that she was very aware that it was a rough approach. Yet she wasn't in anyway prepared for a bump, you don't have to be in the brace position to be prepared.

No one would deny it was a hard landing, a report was filed. But I'm presuming EI paid any medical expenses ect... after the event, if they didn't then the game is changed, but we don't know this yet. Its a law suit, they are about one thing and one thing only, she wants money. I work in this field, and am yet to see a suit that's not about the claimant wanting money.

Aer Lingus

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:46 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 19):
a football will bounce off you

True that. Let's try something less elastic but of similar mass...

Downward velocity or not the effect of momentum is the same. Let's not throw in acceleration due to gravity or we'll lose everyone.

Egerton

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:20 pm

Quoting RRTrent (Reply 20):
I work in this field, and am yet to see a suit that's not about the claimant wanting money.

Likely the claimant expected EI would pay up, rather than get into Court where the known difficulties of landing at DUB will get more widely circulated.

OA260

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:21 pm

Airline cuts ties between Belfast City and Gatwick

The airline says the action is being taken to benefit from an increased capacity on its existing flights between Belfast City and London Heathrow, as larger planes are being introduced to that route.

Customers with existing bookings can either accept a full refund or take flights between Dublin and Gatwick or Belfast City and Heathrow.

A statement read: “Aer Lingus has decided to discontinue its service from Belfast City Airport to London Gatwick, effective from Sunday, 27 March 2016 onwards.

“All Belfast City to London Gatwick flights will continue to operate as scheduled until (and including) Saturday, 26 March.

“We apologise to customers affected by this decision.

“Aer Lingus will communicate directly with customers about this schedule change in the coming days.

http://www.u.tv/News/2015/11/13/Airl...een-Belfast-City-and-Gatwick-48821

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:25 am

MO'L says three airline groups will dominate flying in the future:

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...te-global-air-travel-34197632.html

Not sure I agree that there will be one US carrier, or indeed just one ME carrier, nor indeed that they will have very little interest in short haul. Why would ME carriers be allowed to buy stakes in EU carriers and how would that affect their bilaterals?

Too many gaps in this attempt at futurology by MO'L.

Thoughts?

OA260

Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:40 am

I had an email from EY re DUB flights.

CHANGES TO ABU DHABI - DUBLIN FLIGHT SCHEDULE

Etihad Airways has implemented some adjustments to its Abu Dhabi - Dublin flight schedule for 2016.

The airline's service between Abu Dhabi and Dublin will operate on a daily basis from 11 January 2016. Etihad EY45/42 service will be operated by a Boeing 777-300ER offering 40 Business class and 340 Economy class seats in lieu of the current Airbus A330-200. The new schedule will continue to provide guests with excellent connectivity to key markets in the GCC region, Indian subcontinent, Asia and Australia.

The second daily flight will be reinstated on a seasonal basis between 15 June and 15 September 2016 to cater for peak summer traffic flows, during which time both services will operate on Airbus A330-200 equipment. From 16 September 2016, Dublin will revert to the single daily EY45/42 service, operated by a Boeing B777-300ER.

321neo

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:07 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 25):

I had an email from EY re DUB flights.

CHANGES TO ABU DHABI - DUBLIN FLIGHT SCHEDULE

I believe EY will be experiencing aircraft shortages with A340-500ss leaving and a number of A330s moving around. Wonder if this is the reason behind the move, or perhaps the DUB route is showing weakness

Found this interesting little story:

A Boeing 767 aircraft to feature in €3 million Enniscrone glamping development reports Oceam FM

An entrepreneur is hoping to create around 40 jobs in West Sligo with the development of a unique camping park.

Undertaker David McGowan has secured planning permission for a €3 million glamping, or glamourous camping site in Enniscrone.

The venture has caught the attention of a tv production company, who will be following Mr. McGowan’s efforts to transform various modes of transportation into accomodation; including a Boeing 767.

http://oceanfm.ie/boeing-767-to-feat...n-enniscrone-glamping-development/

Reminds me of the B747 hostel at ARN. Will be an interesting attraction if the plan comes to fruition! 

JAmie2k9

Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:14 am

Quoting 321neo (Reply 26):

B777 off sets loss of capacity from x2 A330 by all but around 40 seats, so just them maximising numbers while cutting costs.

OA260

Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:50 am

Announcement from Aer Lingus re dreadful events in Paris :

Aer Lingus operations to France Saturday 14 November

Dear Guests,

We currently plan to operate our full schedule of flights to and from France on Saturday 14 November.

If any Aer Lingus guests with a booking to travel on Saturday wish to cancel their travel plans or wish to postpone their date of travel we will accommodate them in doing so.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Paris.

Aer Lingus Guest Service

https://new.aerlingus.com/support/flight-disruption-information/

BestWestern

Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:06 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 24):

And no Asian carriers?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

OA260

Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:20 pm

EI/BA codeshare expansion within IAG

Aer Lingus and British Airways have agreed to expand the existing codeshare agreement with British Airways. The expansion is wide ranging and will take place on a phased basis. The expansion will be on Ireland - London, Ireland - UKP, and a number of Ireland - Rest of World destinations.

Aer Lingus code on British Airways operated flights:

-DUB-LHR: Code introduced for both connecting and point to point traffic
-BHD-LHR: Code introduced for both connecting and point to point traffic
-LHR-SIN: Code introduced for connecting traffic
-LHR-KUL: Code introduced for connecting traffic
-LHR-AUH: Code introduced for connecting traffic
-LHR-DXB: Code introduced for connecting traffic
-LHR-JNB: Code introduced for connecting traffic
-LHR-CPT: Code introduced for connecting traffic

JAmie2k9

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Cork Airport appear to have launched a new website.

Looks good.

shamrocka330

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:40 pm

YouTube cabin video of the 1st commercial flight of new Ryanair aircraft EI-FIW from Dublin to Birmingham.

http://youtu.be/1paUeV1f9p4

Couple of interesting bits.... I was pleasantly surprised to see how much the cabin crew and particularly the pilot we're proud of their new aircraft, especially considering Ryanair recieve a new aircraft almost every week! Also, at the end of the video, there's pictures of the new slimline seats and the cockpit.

Credit to scaniaV8topline1 for the video.
aka thebigjd (member since Sept 2001)

321neo

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Quoting shamrocka330 (Reply 32):
Also, at the end of the video, there's pictures of the new slimline seats

They look excellent. Notice how short those arm rests are though!?

OA260

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:59 pm

Quoting shamrocka330 (Reply 32):

Actually look ok proof will be in the testing though.

frostyj

Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:02 pm

Looks like much more legroom on Ryanair!
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

321neo

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 30):

-DUB-LHR: Code introduced for both connecting and point to point traffic
-BHD-LHR: Code introduced for both connecting and point to point traffic
-LHR-SIN: Code introduced for connecting traffic
-LHR-KUL: Code introduced for connecting traffic
-LHR-AUH: Code introduced for connecting traffic
-LHR-DXB: Code introduced for connecting traffic
-LHR-JNB: Code introduced for connecting traffic
-LHR-CPT: Code introduced for connecting traffic

Out of interest, are the LHR-SIN/JNB flights the first Airbus A380 flights to operate with an EI flight number?

BrianDromey

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:27 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 35):
Looks like much more legroom on Ryanair!

It should be positively luxurious, with those slimline seats. With slim-line seats FR will, arguably, be the most spacious airline in Europe. Certainly more room than BA and easyJet have on their A32x fleets. Interestingly, the new FR seats look different to the mock-up that FR are using in this months in-flight magazine in a piece about the Sky Interior on the next batch of 737s. The seats appeared to be a version of the latest short-haul BA seat, have adjustable headrests and no yellow at all.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 30):

All east-bound, nothing to the west, yet. I wonder if the destinations chosen reflect the most common onward connections out of Ireland. Assuming EI ever does east or south-bound long-haul, the destinations are likely to be among the new code-share routes. Im amazed that KUL features as an EY and a BA code-share. BA have only just resumed the route after a long suspension. Whats in KUL to drive this, other than Herr Muller, of course?

frostyj

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:45 pm

How much legroom is it?
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

JAmie2k9

Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:29 am

VLM are in some financial trouble (Dutch Subsidy) which has been closed however cost cuts will be made at Belgium carrier. IN recent weeks they have released WAT current Winter and next Summer schedules. Lets hope these cuts do not affect them however their WAT operation is doing very successful and highly likely the best routes on the airport which they operate commercially themselves.

Hopefully unions won't be greedy and the airline won't go through a period of unrest in the run up to Christmas which will be a busy time for them at WAT.

caoimhin

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:45 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 24):
MO'L says three airline groups will dominate flying in the future:

It strikes me as heinously anti-competitive in the US and EU, and I can't imagine that regulators would permit the industries to consolidate this way. Doubly so with EU flag carriers, which are themselves a source of national pride.

Perhaps it's more likely to see a ME3 consolidation. Maybe EY being absorbed into EK.

OMP777X

Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:12 am

Quoting Aer Lingus (Reply 18):

Although 1400fpm is above normal, its still only 25kph which is not going to do much damage, especially if your ready for it.

What nonsense! Think of momentum man, mass x velocity!

For the record, I was not the one who posted the comment on the landing forces being not so bad, or that the FA should have been ready for it. RRtrent owns that one, and I agree it is nonsense. I somehow deleted the last bracket in when copying the quote, which made it look like the words were in fact my own.

Were there any updates since yesterday on this case? I'm not finding anything online at the moment, and wondered if anyone living in Ireland saw anything in the papers. I am calling my father in the morning, so I could wait to see if he's seen anything in the Examiner, but I figure since some of you follow aviation closely you may be closer to some people in the know.
"Happy Flighting!"

JAmie2k9

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:37 am

Travel Extra report Cityjet to fly SSJ 100 on a new charter to Mahon next summer over 3 months.

www.travelextra.wordpress.com/2015/1...ras-sunday-supplement-nov-15-2015/

Schedule
Depart Cork 16.30
Depart Mahon 20.50

Effective 25 June

[Edited 2015-11-15 03:43:47]

OA260

Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Quoting 321neo (Reply 36):
Out of interest, are the LHR-SIN/JNB flights the first Airbus A380 flights to operate with an EI flight number?

You could be right. Its the nearest thing we will get to an EI flight on an A380  

EIDL

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:16 am

The OAG thread seems to be suggesting that the EI summer schedule to LAX has been pared back by a flight a week already, but with ORD gaining a flight a week (so near double daily). May just be calculation errors as rounding 7 days to decimal points can cause that.

JAmie2k9

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:23 am

Quoting EIDL (Reply 44):

LAX from 5 ~ 4 weekly
ORD no change visible on website

Think a sensible move about LAX only having two gaps in T/A schedules with 2 West Coast routes is not a good idea, at least if there is an extra ORD it's gives that bit more flexibility.

OA260

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:02 am

Quoting EIDL (Reply 44):
The OAG thread seems to be suggesting that the EI summer schedule to LAX has been pared back by a flight a week

This was actually hinted at when it was announced on another forum. LAX was always going to be a different ball game than the SFO route. Seems they are being cautious this time. Many of us still remember the previous LAX launch and cancellation.

---

Regulators have been asked to review passenger charges at Dublin airport in a move that could allow the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) to charge airlines more per travelling passenger.

The Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR) determines the maximum charges per passenger that can be levied by Dublin Airport on airlines using the facility.

Last year, CAR set charges for the period 2015-2019. At first, it had planned to cut the maximum charge that could be levied by the DAA by a total of 22pc, or 4.8pc a year. A ministerial direction was issued in September, and in October the CAR said the maximum charge that could be levied would be cut by 4.2pc per year up to 2019, or a total of 19pc. The DAA has now formally sought a review of the 2014 decision and interested parties have until 5pm, November 20, to respond.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...t-of-airport-charges-34203382.html

OA260

Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:43 am

Ryanair may take off from Belfast again

Low-cost carrier hoping to get lucrative slots vacated by Aer Lingus owner

Ryanair could be returning to Northern Ireland next year - with a new home at Belfast International Airport.

Speculation about the move has been growing since new take-off and landing slots became available at London's Gatwick Airport.

The British Airways owner, IAG, has been forced to give up the lucrative slots following its takeover of Aer Lingus, and Ryanair has been trying to acquire them, bidding against other airlines.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/li...f-from-belfast-again-34202849.html

Interesting if they step onto Easyjets patch !

JAmie2k9

Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:59 am

General talk is BHD operation and not BFS one. Could see U2 returning to BHD if they get slots to ensure FR stay away as well.

eicvd

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:32 pm

Had my first flight with Stobart/EIR & on an ATR from BHX last night. Impressed with how comfortable & quiet the aircraft was (maybe the few good spirited passengers drowned out the sound of the props a little!). Departed around 20 minutes late due to the aircraft picking up delays throughout the day, was certainly a little bumpy on approach from Howth (not that I was complaining) due to the high winds, you really take for granted how good a job the guys up front do in weather like that until you experience it.
COYBIB

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos