nitepilot79
Topic Author

Devils Owner's Chopper Lands On Field During Game

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:36 pm

Whoops! The flight was scheduled to land on the field/heliport, but a children's soccer game went into overtime, unbeknownst to the crew. The chopper landed, and the rest of the game had to be cancelled as a result:

http://gma.yahoo.com/nj-devils-owner...04442944--abc-news-topstories.html

Article quote:

"A co-owner of the NHL's New Jersey Devils said today that he's 'truly sorry' after landing in a helicopter in the middle of a kids' soccer game in Newark.

Devils co-owner Joshua Harris said in a statement that he unexpectedly arrived in a chopper in the middle of Saint Benedict Preparatory School's soccer field Sunday night, causing many parents and kids "frustration" because the game ended up having to be canceled."

rampbro

RE: Devils Owner's Chopper Lands On Field During Game

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:39 pm

Ahh rich people. "Get out of my way kids playing a sport at a school, gots to land me chopper"

32andBelow

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Why didn't they move it?

barney captain

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:50 pm

Quoting rampbro (Reply 1):
Ahh rich people. "Get out of my way kids playing a sport at a school, gots to land me chopper"

Hardly the case as he was simply a passenger and likely only learned what happened after he got out. The soccer field is routinely used as a heliport and it was up to the school to prevent the conflict. Despite your apparent derision for "rich people" (also known as successful) he seems like a decent guy.

"I sincerely apologize to the kids and their coaches and families for the cancellation of their soccer game in Newark on Sunday night," said Harris, who also owns the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers. "As a dad, who has spent hundreds of hours watching my kids play sports, I can understand the frustration, and for that, I am truly sorry."

"Working with St. Benedict's, we have fixed the process to prevent any future issues," Harris said in the statement. "While I can't take back what happened, I hope the coaches, the teams and their families would be open to being my guest at an upcoming Devils game, and I will be extending an invitation."
Southeast Of Disorder

32andBelow

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Get the kids a suite to a 76ers game. You know they are available!

flyingturtle

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:31 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 2):
Why didn't they move it?

As somebody involved in volleyball, I can say that you can't really move/postpone a game. If a game can't be started after a maximum of x minutes of delays, or if a game can't be continued after x minutes of unplanned intermission, it will be cancelled. There will not be a re-match.

Talking about soccer, for example, bad weather favours physically stronger players, and it is a disadvantage to those who have a refined technique and can shoot the ball in a precise manner. Postponing a game until severe rainfall has ceased would change the odds in a certain direction.

Or if one team is in need of recuperation, an intermission by a helicopter landing gives that team an unjust advantage. The list can go on... at any rate, a re-match will be a bigger hassle for the away team than the home team, so it wouldn't be fair.

It's just and reasonable to have the game take place at a specified time. No excuse allowed.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Brick

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:35 pm

Just so everyone is clear, the kids were playing soccer on a helipad. It wasn't the "rich guy" decided to land on a soccer field.

Why was the game cancelled instead of just ending in a tie?
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

rampbro

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:50 pm

Quoting barney captain (Reply 3):
, I hope the coaches, the teams and their families would be open to being my guest at an upcoming Devils game, and I will be extending an invitation."

Now he's just adding insult in injury   

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 5):
Talking about soccer, for example, bad weather favours physically stronger players, and it is a disadvantage to those who have a refined technique and can shoot the ball in a precise manner.

We are talking about American soccer players though - one could reasonable assume the players all skew towards the physically stronger, less technically skilled side of things.

Quoting Brick (Reply 6):

From the picture in the linked article it looks like the strangest helipad I ever saw, what with the green turf, painted boundary lines and center circle, and the soccer nets at each end.

RickNRoll

Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:24 pm

Schools can 'rent out' their playing fields for private helicopters to land on. Both parties just have to agree to when it can and can't be used for landing. Looks like that got mixed up this time.

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:48 pm

From op:

Quoting nitepilot79 (Thread starter):
The flight was scheduled to land on the field/heliport, but a children's soccer game went into overtime, unbeknownst to the crew.

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:05 am

I never thought a school (that's non-av) would need a control tower .

RGElectra80

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:18 am

Read the article folks - it was the Devils' game that went into overtime, not the kids soccer game. This prevented the chopper from leaving within reasonable time to start a soccer match on a school night.
austinspotter.wordpress.com

BreninTW

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:19 am

OK, so the pilot landed the helicopter at the scheduled time ... I don't have much of a problem with the theory of that.

However, I have a big problem with a pilot who parks a helicopter down without noticing that there are 22 little people -- and probably at least one big person -- running around* on the parking area. That says to me that the pilot's situational awareness could do with some refining.

I can't imagine that the helicopter lacked the fuel to divert to somewhere more suitable -- especially as it would have needed to fly out of the field at a later stage.

My feeling -- given what I've read -- is that the pilot dropped the ball here.

* This is working on the assumption that the game was actually in progress when the helicopter arrived, and that the helicopter did not arrive during a break where the players were off the field. The picture shows the field empty of people ... but it's not clear from the article if the field was clear before the helicopter arrived or if it was cleared because it was obvious a helicopter was about to land.

RGElectra80

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:26 am

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 12):
* This is working on the assumption that the game was actually in progress when the helicopter arrived, and that the helicopter did not arrive during a break where the players were off the field. The picture shows the field empty of people ... but it's not clear from the article if the field was clear before the helicopter arrived or if it was cleared because it was obvious a helicopter was about to land.

No - there was no game in progress:
http://deadspin.com/nj-devils-owners...ks-on-soccer-field-canc-1741476321

From the article (emphasis mine):

Quote:

My son’s U13 youth soccer team was supposed to play a game at 7:30 last night (Sunday, November 8th) on the field at Benedict’s Prep in Newark. As the two teams of U13 players from the STA 02 NPL and Cedar Stars Pre-Academy team got ready to take the field, a helicopter dropped down from the sky and landed right in the middle of the field. A security detail emerged from the helicopter and informed the boys and their coaches that NJ Jersey Devils owner, Josh Harris, had instructed them to land on the field and wait for him to return from the Prudential Center where the Devils were playing. The boys and their families waited in the cold until finally it became clear that Harris was running late and no one knew when he might return to pick up his ride. Eventually, the coaches decided to call the boys’ game and everyone went home disappointed, frustrated and annoyed. I am not sure when or if Harris ever showed up to remove his helicopter from the field, but I hope that he had a great night. There are a number of 12 year olds and youth soccer fans who did not — because of Harris’s selfish behavior.
austinspotter.wordpress.com

BreninTW

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:53 am

Quoting RGElectra80 (Reply 13):

Ah, thanks. That was not clear from the original poster's article.

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:04 am

RGElectra80:

So the Devils went OT and not the kids. Okay. More of a baseball fan, anyway. But the article does really lean towards the helicopter landing during the "middle" of the soccer game.

Article quote:

" the middle of a kids' soccer game in Newark."

Photo caption:

"NJ Devils Owner Apologizes After Landing Helicopter in Middle of Kids' Soccer Game Forces Cancellation (ABC News)"

Edit: Before my post above, I hadn't the latest from RGElelectra80.

[Edited 2015-11-12 18:12:42]

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:08 am

Thanks RGElectra80, for the spin control.

32andBelow

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:28 am

As somebody involved in volleyball, I can say that you can't really move/postpone a game. If a game can't be started after a maximum of x minutes of delays, or if a game can't be continued after x minutes of unplanned intermission, it will be cancelled. There will not be a re-match.

I was talking about the heli

sejtam

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:04 am

So to recap.

1. There was a scheduled game for the kids.
2. Harris used that place as a heliport (apparently an OK use of that space
when no game is on?)
3. Harris apparently expected that he would be gone by the time the kids' game started
but the Devils' game he was visiting went into overtime

4. and apparently in such a case it; s OK to overstay his Heli in that place also.

Are there no facilities for his crew to remove the heli elsewhere while waiting?
I am sure the kids game could have stopped for a while later when he wanted to leave.

But just occupying the field as his private heli-parking space for as long as whatever his business is takes is IMHO wrong.

Ok, maybe he himself was unaware that his heli-crew had no plan B or whatever, but ultimately that still his problem.

So in my view this is selfish behaviour by one rich guy...

Quoting RGElectra80 (Reply 13):
From the article (emphasis mine):

Quote:

My son’s U13 youth soccer team was supposed to play a game at 7:30 last night (Sunday, November 8th) on the field at Benedict’s Prep in Newark. As the two teams of U13 players from the STA 02 NPL and Cedar Stars Pre-Academy team got ready to take the field, a helicopter dropped down from the sky and landed right in the middle of the field. A security detail emerged from the helicopter and informed the boys and their coaches that NJ Jersey Devils owner, Josh Harris, had instructed them to land on the field and wait for him to return from the Prudential Center where the Devils were playing. The boys and their families waited in the cold until finally it became clear that Harris was running late and no one knew when he might return to pick up his ride. Eventually, the coaches decided to call the boys’ game and everyone went home disappointed, frustrated and annoyed. I am not sure when or if Harris ever showed up to remove his helicopter from the field, but I hope that he had a great night. There are a number of 12 year olds and youth soccer fans who did not — because of Harris’s selfish behavior.

stlgph

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:12 am

Quoting sejtam (Reply 18):

No, there is no selfish behavior.
The field is used all the time as a helipad.
The people who control the field are responsible for the schedule mix up.
Mr. Harris had no idea a soccer game was scheduled. It's not a thing for him to worry about.

Read, people. Read.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

ptrjong

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:21 am

In Indonesia at least they sound a siren before airliners can land on the local soccer field.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter de Jong

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

sejtam

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:25 am

Quoting stlgph (Reply 19):
The field is used all the time as a helipad.
The people who control the field are responsible for the schedule mix up.

and

Quote:
Josh Harris, had instructed them to land on the field and wait for him to return from the Prudential Center where the Devils were playing.

So i wonder why the crew could not have been told: 'vacate the field...there is a game on'

Basically, his parked heli trumped the schedule and no-one had the power/chutzpa to shoo him/his heli crew away?

I am sure the heli could have been moved to a different landing area, even if it was not as convenient to Harris. But that seems to have been no consideration?

If a sports field elsewhere is used as a parking lost at times, would it also be ok to leave one's car there for however long and thus disturb games?

Aesma

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:27 am

I find the comments from parents and such a bit ridiculous, have they considered that the helicopter owner had no idea of what was going on ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

CARST

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:40 am

Aesma, happy a.net-bday.

But does it matter if the pilot is at fault or the security guy? Or Mr. Harris? Or the scheduler of the soccer field / helipad?

The kids had a fixed date to play the game, the game Mr. Harris was viewing was going into overtime, HIS helicopter overstayted its time on the helipad, the kids could not play their game.

So because his employees apparently refused to remove his helicopter, the kids could not play. Simple story. His fault, even if he did not make the decision personally.

For me this is similar to a baggage handler loosing my bags at an airport. I only have a contract with an airline and the airline is at fault for me. I don't care who is doing this outsourced work for the airline. Same story here, the parents and kids don't care if Mr. Harris outsources his decisions to some employees. His heli, I guess he noticed where it landed, he did not think about it while staying at his game, his fault.

Aesma

Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Ah ah thanks I didn't notice !

I'm not saying the parents and players shouldn't be upset, it's just that they seem to be concentrating on the helicopter owner as if he was deliberately screwing with them.

He owns the helicopter and those are his employees, however is it his field that was used for the game ? Shouldn't the owner of the field be the culprit ?

If a plane can't take-off because another is in front, do you blame the pilot/airline, or the airport ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

flyingturtle

Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:40 pm

Quoting Brick (Reply 6):
Why was the game cancelled instead of just ending in a tie?

No, it's not ended in a tie. It's cancelled, but counted possibly as a win for the away team, because the home team was not able to provide a playing field for the scheduled duration of the game.

An analogy to volleyball... the home team has to provide a hall that conforms to the rules, a net, balls for playing and for warming up, a staff for measuring the net's height, a bench for substitute players, and a few other things. Teams can and will protest if these things are not given, especially if they can't beat the other team in the game!

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

sejtam

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:11 pm

The issue is that this is a dual-use field. There is a schedule.
one user comes (at the correct time) and uses the field, but overstays (no communication
as to how long etc) and usurps the field for his purposes.

if this was a parking lot his car would have been towed. So should the heli have been, or he should have been slapped with a hefty fee per minute extra that his personal extension of his use of this parking space affected other in their scheduled use of the field.

RIX

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Quoting rampbro (Reply 7):
Now he's just adding insult in injury   

Not at all, Devils are true fun to watch this year. And no, they don't move to Quebec...  

b747400erf

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:31 pm

Despite your apparent derision for "rich people" (also known as successful)

It appears I need to post this twice. Your unnecessary and "you must be jealous" insult does nothing to ask why the pilot was landing on a field when children were nearby. It could have gone horribly wrong if they had been playing at the time, not almost ready to take the field. But yes, it must be because we are jealous of someone who is rich, you just tell yourself this.

threepoint

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Harris used that place as a heliport (apparently an OK use of that space
when no game is on?)

Yes, there is a formal agreement between the field owner and the helicopter owner to use the field as a helipad. The field owner (the school) did not adequately communicate the conflicting schedules to the users of the field.

However, I have a big problem with a pilot who parks a helicopter down without noticing that there are 22 little people -- and probably at least one big person -- running around* on the parking area. That says to me that the pilot's situational awareness could do with some refining.

There is video of the helicopter landing....with nobody in sight on or near the landing surface.

My feeling -- given what I've read -- is that the pilot dropped the ball here.

My feeling is that the reader did.

So in my view this is selfish behaviour by one rich guy...

We're all entitled to our views. Even, I guess, when they are contradicted by facts.

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 28):
Your unnecessary and "you must be jealous" insult does nothing to ask why the pilot was landing on a field when children were nearby. It could have gone horribly wrong if they had been playing at the time, not almost ready to take the field.

One could also ask why were the children nearby when a helicopter was landing?
It could have gone horribly wrong if there was a hungry tiger on the field as well. Or if lightning had struck the playing surface. Or if a UFO suddenly appeared and started firing green lasers. But none of these things happened, so why focus on the what-ifs?

Read, people. Read.

Could not agree with this more!
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

b747400erf

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:48 pm

Quoting threepoint (Reply 29):
It could have gone horribly wrong if there was a hungry tiger on the field as well. Or if lightning had struck the playing surface. Or if a UFO suddenly appeared and started firing green lasers. But none of these things happened, so why focus on the what-ifs?

Yes one could ask why children were on a soccer field playing soccer at night, and all those other ridiculous questions, because you have to say anything to divert blame from where it belongs. Now I see who the jealous people really are. The types that treat rich people like kings and ignore basic facts about a soccer game just ending and another about to begin when the helicopter landed, which could have gone very wrong. Now back to you being jealous of the rich guy.

[Edited 2015-11-13 07:49:30]

threepoint

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 30):
you have to say anything to divert blame from where it belongs

Just so we're not further confused by your posts, what exactly is the blame to which you refer? Blame that the helicopter landed on a sports pitch? Blame that a game was cancelled due to a miscommunication and extenuating circumstances (longer hockey game than expected)? Blame that this received media attention in the first place?

ignore basic facts about a soccer game just ending and another about to begin when the helicopter landed, which could have gone very wrong.

Any time an aircraft flies, there is a possibility of an adverse event. Any time young children are given access to bouncing balls, there is an even higher chance of things going, as you term it, horribly wrong. What are your fears in this example? That dozens of schoolchildren could have been sliced & diced into hundreds of tiny uniform* pieces? Or that some kid chips a ball that scuffs the gloss paint of the helicopter? Either would indeed be horrible.

If you interpret a slight mocking undertone, you'd be right.

Now back to you being jealous of the rich guy.

This makes no sense within the context of this conversation. But sure, OK.

*yes that was a terrible pun

RIX

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Your unnecessary and "you must be jealous" insult...

Read the whole post to which he replied. It explicitly blamed those rich.

Now back to you being jealous of the rich guy.

Nobody brought "jealous" here but you.

Read, people. Read.

Could not agree with this more!

Not everyone agrees though  

rangercarp

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:29 pm

As someone who coaches high school sports, I can tell you this is not at all the case. Games are postponed, canceled, and rescheduled all the time. It is true this sometimes gives one team an advantage over another. As an example, this fall one of our school's football games was delayed due to lighting with about a minute left to go in the first half. The rule in Michigan for interscholastic athletics is an automatic 30 minute delay for any sign of lighting or sound of thunder. After a series of 30 minute delays, they called the game for the night, and resumed it the next afternoon, right where they left off with one minute left in the first half. This arguably disadvantaged our team who tend to play a lot better under the lights on Friday nights than they do on Saturday afternoons.

Such cancellations/delays/reschedules are VERY common in our spring sports when we get a lot of cold and rainy weather. I assume a chopper sitting on the field would probably be handled very similar to the field being too wet. For us we would reschedule at the first opportunity if it was a league game. A non-league competition would probably not be rescheduled.

However, a "U13" soccer team is most likely NOT a school team, and the field is a school field. That means this ultimately is a scheduling conflict between two different outside groups who were using the school's facility. You would think the school would schedule quite a time buffer between allowing the field to be used as a heliport and allowing a youth league to use it for a game.

In any event, is sounds like "The Rich Guy" is making a good faith effort to make it up to the team, and I bet the school will schedule more of a buffer in between users in the future.
iwgbtp!

D L X

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:43 pm

Despite your apparent derision for "rich people" (also known as successful) he seems like a decent guy.

I'm sure he can also take the joke.

"While I can't take back what happened, I hope the coaches, the teams and their families would be open to being my guest at an upcoming Devils game, and I will be extending an invitation."

Good on him! That's how you handle fixing your wrongs.

bobnwa

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Your unnecessary and "you must be jealous" insult does nothing to ask why the pilot was landing on a field when children were nearby. It could have gone horribly wrong if they had been playing at the time, not almost ready to take the field. But yes, i

Since you appear to have read a different news report than I did, please tell me how close the kids were. Also are you trying to suggest that the pilot would have landed on the field if the kids were on it?
another, lets dump on the rich guys posting

RetiredWeasel

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:34 pm

The field owner (the school) did not adequately communicate the conflicting schedules to the users of the field.

And how do you know that? Isn't it possible that the helicopter pilot knew that he had a 45 minute window or so to be on and off the field, but just disregarded it?... For fear of being chastised by a boss that might have had to be driven to another helipad farther away?

My only interest really in this whole discussion is the soccer aspect of it. These two teams were club teams whose level is above 'recreational' and 'school' teams. Having a daughter that played club from U-5 to college D1 levels, I know how hard it is to reschedule league games. This screw up (as I like to think it was) inconvenienced everybody involved.

threepoint

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Quoting RetiredWeasel (Reply 36):
And how do you know that?

Because I am not lazy, and searched for (and actually read) numerous online articles on this story that illuminate what happened. The school administrator responsible for scheduling users of the field erred, and procedures are in the process of being tightened up to prevent future conflicts.

Quoting RetiredWeasel (Reply 36):
Isn't it possible that the helicopter pilot knew that he had a 45 minute window or so to be on and off the field, but just disregarded it?... For fear of being chastised by a boss that might have had to be driven to another helipad farther away?

It's just as possible as my hungry tiger or laser-firing UFO theories as laid out in reply 31. Weasel, if you're going to throw out W.A.G. speculations, at least make them plausible.

rampbro

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Despite your apparent derision for "rich people" (also known as successful) he seems like a decent guy.

Is that how derision is expressed these days? Because I had thought that my post would express a world-weariness with the state of affairs where a billionaire pre-empting children playing sports at a school is normalized, to the extent where people will vigorously defend that person.

barney captain

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:23 pm

Quoting rampbro (Reply 38):
Is that how derision is expressed these days? Because I had thought that my post would express a world-weariness with the state of affairs where a billionaire pre-empting children playing sports at a school is normalized, to the extent where people will vigorously defend that person.

I'm not defending him because he "is a billionaire". I'm defending him because his actions are defendable.

Whereas, you seem to be condemning him solely because he's wealthy.

1) His pilots landed on a field in accordance with a prearranged agreement.

2) The event he was at ran long - he quite likely knew nothing of the soccer game scheduled for later. That is the field administration job - and they have admitted as much;

"According to Father Edwin Leahy, headmaster of St. Benedict's, where the soccer field is located, Harris and the school have an arrangement regarding his helicopter landings.

The field, Leahy told Deadspin, was double booked on Sunday."

3) When he arrived at his helicopter and saw what had happened, he took responsibility for it (even though he knew nothing about the game) and offered to take the kids and family members to a game as his guest.

Where - in any of that are his actions irresponsible or uncaring?

Quite the contrary if fact, he's going out of his way to make amends for something he was completely unaware of.

If you legally parked your car, only to return and find it had blocked a parade route you knew nothing about - should we condemn you too? Or only if was a Rolls Royce?

[Edited 2015-11-13 12:29:33]
Southeast Of Disorder

mjoelnir

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Yes, there is a formal agreement between the field owner and the helicopter owner to use the field as a helipad. The field owner (the school) did not adequately communicate the conflicting schedules to the users of the field.

The kids soccer game was scheduled, the helicopter not.

read people read

quote: "Devils co-owner Joshua Harris said in a statement that he unexpectedly arrived in a chopper in the middle of Saint Benedict Preparatory School's soccer field Sunday night, causing many parents and kids "frustration" because the game ended up having to be canceled."

further information: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...d-canceling-game-article-1.2431374

quote:

"Working with St. Benedict’s, we have fixed the process to prevent any future issues. While I can’t take back what happened, I hope the coaches, the teams and their families would be open to being my guest at an upcoming Devils’ game, and I will be extending an invitation.”

"My son's U13 youth soccer team was supposed to play a game at 7:30 last night (Sunday, November 8th) on the field at Benedict's Prep in Newark. As the two teams of U13 players from the STA 02 NPL and Cedar Stars Pre-Academy team got ready to take the field, a helicopter dropped down from the sky and landed right in the middle of the field. A security detail emerged from the helicopter and informed the boys and their coaches that NY Jersey Devils owner, Josh Harris, had instructed them to land on the field and wait for him to return from the Prudential Center where the Devils were playing."

"Father Edwin Leahy, headmaster at St. Benedict's, told Deadspin that a communication error led to the youth game being called off. Heliflite, a private helicopter charter service that Harris uses, did not call ahead to check in with the school's facilities director, Leahy said."

So it seem pretty clear to me who was at fault.

b747400erf

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:31 pm

Quoting RIX (Reply 32):

Nobody brought "jealous" here but you.

Try reading a topic before you comment, have some basic courtesy

b747400erf

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:32 pm

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 40):
read people read

No one wants to read, they want to go off on rants about UFO's and a.netters being jealous of rich people, and anything else to waste time. This place is like reading Youtube comments.

barney captain

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:43 pm

So it seem pretty clear to me who was at fault.

Based on your own quote - it was Heliflight -

"Heliflite, a private helicopter charter service that Harris uses, did not call ahead to check in with the school's facilities director, Leahy said."

Based on what I found, it was the school -

""According to Father Edwin Leahy, headmaster of St. Benedict's, where the soccer field is located, Harris and the school have an arrangement regarding his helicopter landings.

In any case, it certainly wasn't the fault of Mr. Harris - who as it turn out, wasn't even on board the returning helicopter.
Southeast Of Disorder

mjoelnir

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:19 am

Quoting barney captain (Reply 43):
Based on what I found, it was the school -

""According to Father Edwin Leahy, headmaster of St. Benedict's, where the soccer field is located, Harris and the school have an arrangement regarding his helicopter landings.

Where did you find your quote?

here is deadspin, who seemed to have done some checking:

http://deadspin.com/nj-devils-owners...ks-on-soccer-field-canc-1741476321

qutote:

According to Leahy, the error was due to a lack of communication between the aviation company and the head of facilities at the school. Heliflite didn’t check in before beginning the trip, so when the helicopter arrived, Harris was still at the Prudential Center. Had the company called in beforehand, Leahy said, it would have been notified; the youth soccer game would have started, and the helicopter would have landed at halftime.

And:

A security detail emerged from the helicopter and informed the boys and their coaches that NJ Jersey Devils owner, Josh Harris, had instructed them to land on the field and wait for him to return from the Prudential Center where the Devils were playing.

So the security detail of Mr. Harris does not contact him when it is clear that there is at least a scheduling conflict.

sejtam

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:22 am

let me pick up teh earlier: Read, People Read!

The helicopter did not land in a soccer field while a game was on.

They landed there, using it as a parking facility to pick up Harris
while teh field was available as a helipad..
When the game he visited (which was held elsewhere) took longer,
the helicopter did not evacuate the dual-use field so that an already
scheduled game could take place but the crew simply stayed on.

and I blame that on Harris and his helicopter service.

When the facility they used became unavailable, they should have
vacated and moved their service to another facility, even at added
cost and inconvenience to Harris. That they did not is to be firstly
blamed on Harris as the hirer.

robsaw

Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:40 am

read people read

quote: "Devils co-owner Joshua Harris said in a statement that he unexpectedly arrived in a chopper in the middle of Saint Benedict Preparatory School's soccer field Sunday night, causing many parents and kids "frustration" because the game ended up having to be canceled."

further information: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...31374

Except we know that the quote is inaccurate (and doesn't actually seem to be a quote but rather someone's paraphrase that was later corrected) as Harris was not on the helicopter at the time in question. While we know that the helicopter crew did not call ahead to either the school (or Harris apparently) so that their plans could be adjusted, we do know they had permission to land generally if not specifically at the time in question.

mjoelnir

Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:02 am

Quoting robsaw (Reply 46):
Except we know that the quote is inaccurate (and doesn't actually seem to be a quote but rather someone's paraphrase that was later corrected) as Harris was not on the helicopter at the time in question. While we know that the helicopter crew did not call ahead to either the school (or Harris apparently) so that their plans could be adjusted, we do know they had permission to land generally if not specifically at the time in question.

So in what way did the crew of the chopper and Harris security detail have the right to cause the cancellation of a soccer game on that soccer field while the field was not booked for them? I assume that the primary use of a soccer field is to play soccer.
IMO the normal reaction should have been to remove the chopper and contact Harris. Harris ordered the chopper to that place, what does it matter that he was on it or not at the time of the landing? Harris was surely not farther than a phone call away and I assume he was on that chopper when it left.

And somehow I have the feeling that Harris did an apology only after the incident hit the news.

RIX

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 41):

Try reading a topic before you comment

Tried  . There was no "jealousy" in reply 3. You brought it in you reply 28, totally irrevant.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos