Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TK787
Topic Author

Istanbul New Airport, Latest Pictures

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:00 pm

Here are some latest pictures from the construction area from airporthaber.com:
http://www.airporthaber.com/havacili...e-3-havalimanindaki-son-durum.html
Still slated to open first quarter of 2018 with an initial capacity of 90M pax a year.
Probably Stage 2 to start immediately thereafter;

From a previous post from a.net member "LAXintl", the plans were:

Stage 1 = 2017:
- Main terminal with 680,000sq meter
- Additional satellite building 170,000sq meter - the total capacity of both terminals will be 90mil passengers per year
- 88 jetway contact gates
- Car park for 42,000 cars
- three independent runways
- 3.1mil sq meter apron

Stage 2 = 2019
- additional terminal - 200,000 sq meter
- additional runway + additional high speed taxiways for existing runways
- additional 1mil sq meter apron

Stage 3 = 2021
- additional terminal - 200,000 sq meter
- additional runway + taxiway systems
- additional 1mil sq meter apron

Stage 4 = 2025
- additional terminal - 250,000 sq meter
- additional runway + additional taxiways
- Additional 0.9mil sq meter apron

Key facts:
- 1.5mil sq terminal space area
- Capacity of 150mil passengers per year
- 6 runways (4 parallel + 2 crosswind parallel) all VLA capable
- 165 jetway contact gates
- intra-terminal rail connection
- 3 separate maintenance hangar areas
- 8 cargo ramp areas
- Apron space for 500 aircraft spread over 6.5mil sq meters
- Direct airport auto parking lots for 70,000 cars
- Additional adjacent facilities including hospital, hotels, mosque, congress center, waste recycling and water treatment facility.

Turkish350XWB

RE: Istanbul New Airport, Latest Pictures

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:11 pm

Nobody doubts there was a need for such an airport, but the location is a pure mistake. Last forrests of Istanbul gone and unclear situation regarding birdstrikes as location is directly underneath primary birds travel track... I think this whole issue is at the court, and maybe we will see the construction being stopped.

Dufo

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:58 pm

To cancel such project due to environmental issues.. in Turkey? Seriously?
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

aviationaware

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Who wants to bet that it will be open before BER?

OA260

Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:09 pm

Quoting TK787 (Thread starter):
Here are some latest pictures from the construction area from airporthaber.com:
http://www.airporthaber.com/havacili....html

Thanks for the link. Hard to imagine I went to the current IST airport when it first opened many years ago and it was empty compared to now !

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:19 pm

AsoRock

Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:02 pm

Quoting TK787 (Thread starter):
Stage 1 = 2017:
- Main terminal with 680,000sq meter
- Additional satellite building 170,000sq meter - the total capacity of both terminals will be 90mil passengers per year
- 88 jetway contact gates
- Car park for 42,000 cars
- three independent runways
- 3.1mil sq meter apron

I find that very, very hard to believe. The site still looks a lot like an earthwork project , with no significant underground infrastructure having been laid, not to mention no visible runway yet. From other projects' experience, and assuming the Turks build as fast and as efficiently as they can, I can hardly imagine any Stage 1 being delivered earlier than 2019.

Unless the day can be made to last 72 hours, then that's a different story! The timeline of the project roll-out is clearly politically-motivated rather than grounded in reality.

On a positive note, I wish all project stakeholders success, Istanbul deserves this airport to cement as an emerging global air connectivity hub.

Cheers

Pellegrine

Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:08 pm

Quoting AsoRock (Reply 6):
I find that very, very hard to believe. The site still looks a lot like an earthwork project , with no significant underground infrastructure having been laid, not to mention no visible runway yet. From other projects' experience, and assuming the Turks build as fast and as efficiently as they can, I can hardly imagine any Stage 1 being delivered earlier than 2019.

Unless the day can be made to last 72 hours, then that's a different story! The timeline of the project roll-out is clearly politically-motivated rather than grounded in reality.

On a positive note, I wish all project stakeholders success, Istanbul deserves this airport to cement as an emerging global air connectivity hub.

3 shifts working around the clock?
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

Turkish350XWB

Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:07 pm

Quoting Dufo (Reply 2):

Would be funny, no? Imagine that happening...

LAXintl

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:12 pm

A bit more info to put the project in context.

The actual construction started May 1st. Until that time the primary task was conducting land clearing and excavation work. At the height of that nearly 2,000 trucks were used daily with around 1 million cubic meters of soil drilled and transported every day working 24x7 shifts. Matter of fact there was a shortage of skilled labor, 400 truck drivers were employed from counties like Vietnam.

Now that construction has stated about 6,100 workers are employed at the site working around the clock.

Regarding environmental concerns, the operators of the airport IGA, will be planting 5 new trees for every tree removed during the project. They have applied and received internationally recognized environmental accreditation for sustainability. 20,000 young trees have been planted already in two districts around Istanbul so far with eventual total reaching 10,000,000 trees in across Western Turkey in next 5-years.
In addition project and its environmental impact analysis complies with United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and was certified by independent outside parties.

The last bit of news - the state airport agency DHMI this week published base line capacity guidance for the airports initial phase effective Q1 2018.

Average Hourly Movements: 90 (65 at IST today)
Parking spots: 181 (incl remote apron spots)
Annual pax capacity: 90mil

Turkish Airlines also continues to state it plans to relocate its operations from IST to the new airport for the IATA S18 schedule.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Beatyair

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:12 pm

London - see how it is done!

mercure1

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:37 pm

Between China and Turkey I dont know who gets the prize, but both nations are amazing at rapid delivery of mega projects.

I very much look forward to using the new airport!
mercure f-wtcc

thekorean

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:24 pm

Quoting AviationAware (Reply 3):

Thats pretty much set in stone.

Now, whether LaGuardia will get its own AirTrain before BER is a better debate.

Can't believe the airport will be done in 3 years. Looking at the picture, it looks like they barely started.

migair54

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:51 pm

when the whole airport is open after 2025 is going to be a monster, 500 parkings for planes, 8 ramps, 165 contact gates, 150 mill pax. we are talking about the biggest so far, maybe just DWC if they complete the project will pass that.

Just to compare, can anyone share some details about airports like LHR, DFW, HKG, PEK or something similar, parkings, contact bridges etc..

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 7):
3 shifts working around the clock?

Most probably, this kind of project need to work round the clock.

It looks difficult with the progress so far to be ready to open by 2017, that's 2 years only, but we will see, nowadays all the big project like to give very complicated and challenging time schedules, but I guess we will see many different teams working at the same time, and it could be possible, we will follow the progress.

Who wants to bet that it will be open before BER?

if it ever opens.... that's a weird story, specially considering German efficiency.

b747400erf

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Quoting Dufo (Reply 2):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gezi_Park_protests

mercure1

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:08 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 14):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gezi_Park_protests

Gezi was a local project in a relative meaningless small park in Istanbul. The airport on the other hand is a mega project of national importance which they broke ground on well over a year ago. Cant really compare.
mercure f-wtcc

scbriml

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:20 pm

Quoting Beatyair (Reply 10):
London - see how it is done!

Wake us up when it's built and operational - on time, on budget and at full capacity.

Signed,
London.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

thekorean

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 16):

In the days of BER anything thats not 5 years late will look reasonable. 

rbavfan

Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:58 am

That would be an easy bet.

AirlineCritic

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:03 pm

Quoting AsoRock (Reply 6):

I have faith in the turkish operations of this sort. They can put a lot of resources and men on the project. It will also help that the environmental concerns and the like are likely less probably causes than in Germany, for instance.

However, I have one significant concern. In a lot of cases when you build runways, you have to build on soil (not ground rock), and per my understanding of earthworks, you want to let some weight rest on the areas before you make the final layers. Otherwise it soil will contract and the end result will not be smooth. But I'm not an expert. I do remember that they did this in HEL's new runway, for instance, and it took years. Now *that* is something you may not be able to speed up, even with money and resources. But it surely depends on the type of land you are on. Anybody know what kind of material the airport will rest on?

lightsaber

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:20 pm

New IST vs. BER?!? The new IST at least has a chance of opening by year end 2020. BER is hopeless.

I think this airport will run late, but a year or two...

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

aryonoco

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:13 am

What are the plans for the current IST airport after the new one opens? Will it be closed or continue operations?

What about SAW? I assume with the new IST airport being further away from the Asian section, this will actually increase SAW's catchment?

Is the new IST airport going to be connected to Istanbul's metro?

What about roads? And how long is it anticipated to take to go from some of the inner districts, like Beyoglu, to this new airport?

thekorean

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:33 am

Quoting aryonoco (Reply 21):

I believe there will be a train to downtown Istanbul. And current IST will be closed.

LAXintl

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:45 am

What are the plans for the current IST airport after the new one opens? Will it be closed or continue operations?

Still being debated. Options are either a portion is kept for GA/biz traffic, or entire area is closed and redeveloped into things like fair grounds, other commercial and residential activities.

What about SAW? I assume with the new IST airport being further away from the Asian section, this will actually increase SAW's catchment?

SAW has its own expansion projects planned. Additional 3500m runway, larger aprons area, expanded or additional terminal

Is the new IST airport going to be connected to Istanbul's metro?
What about roads? And how long is it anticipated to take to go from some of the inner districts, like Beyoglu, to this new airport?

Airport is adjacent to new highway that leads to soon to be completed 3rd Bosphorus bridge. Also the Istanbul-Ankara HSR will cross the third bridge and be connect to the airport.

As far as the metro, yes eventually that is the plan but it wont happen for a few years. In 2016 the Istanbul municipality will issue the tender for planned 33km line from Gayrettepe to the airport, so it likely wont be operational till closer to 2020 in my opinion.

aryonoco

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:52 am

Thanks for the answers LAXintl.

Huge project obviously, I hope it goes as planned.

cmoltay

Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:02 am

Quoting Beatyair (Reply 10):
They have applied and received internationally recognized environmental accreditation for sustainability

Can you provide details on this one LAXintl?

PlymSpotter

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Well they certainly need it, I was at IST over the weekend and it was utter chaos. Easily the most packed airport I've visited so far, from a sample size of 300.

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 19):
However, I have one significant concern. In a lot of cases when you build runways, you have to build on soil (not ground rock), and per my understanding of earthworks, you want to let some weight rest on the areas before you make the final layers. Otherwise it soil will contract and the end result will not be smooth. But I'm not an expert. I do remember that they did this in HEL's new runway, for instance, and it took years. Now *that* is something you may not be able to speed up, even with money and resources. But it surely depends on the type of land you are on. Anybody know what kind of material the airport will rest on?

This is called over-burdon here in the UK. You can also roll material to help with the compression, but ultimately time and water ingress is the best 'healer'.

Afraid I can't help with the material it is built on though.

Quoting Turkish350xwb (Reply 1):

Nobody doubts there was a need for such an airport, but the location is a pure mistake. Last forrests of Istanbul gone and unclear situation regarding birdstrikes as location is directly underneath primary birds travel track... I think this whole issue is at the court, and maybe we will see the construction being stopped.

If they are replanting and creating more habitat, this is what counts.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

LAXintl

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Quoting cmoltay (Reply 25):
Can you provide details on this one LAXintl?

Outside independent US-Danish sustainability firm Ramboll Environs has been tasked to review, manage and mitigate issues related to the project.

At the IATA Congress in Turkey last May it was noted by DHMI/IGA that the planned sustainability efforts including the things like the 10million new trees, onsite recycling plant, water treatment facilities, soil treatment, vehicle carbon minimization led them to in February receive some major internationally recognized environmental rating for sustainability.

In addition the planned terminal facilities are themselves are designed with today's most modern levels of energy and environmental sustainability, but I did not pay attention to those details.

When I find more details in the future I will post them in the Turkish Av. thread.

Turkish350XWB

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 26):
If they are replanting and creating more habitat, this is what counts.

If you open googlemaps you will see that there is almost no green left in Istanbul and the airport is being built in one of the last untouched or fairly untouched green spots. And when I read comments like this one I just get angry, because this thinking has caused this massacre on nature. It doesn't count and it isn't enough to keep the number of trees constant, it is also important where these trees are...   

OA260

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:46 pm

A copy of the report here :

The Third Airport Project Vis-a-Vis, Life, Nature, Environment, People and Law

http://www.kuzeyormanlari.org/wp-con...ds/2015/05/3rd_airport_project.pdf

mercure1

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:58 pm

Quoting Turkish350xwb (Reply 28):
It doesn't count and it isn't enough to keep the number of trees constant, it is also
important where these trees are...

According to LAXIntl post they are planting 5 times the number of trees as replacements and have already begun the project in some districts of Istanbul.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):

I dont think that is an official report. Seems like something prepared by greens opposing the project.
It even states the mission of the report is to highlight mistakes and paint a fatal picture of project.
mercure f-wtcc

OA260

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 30):
I dont think that is an official report. Seems like something prepared by greens opposing the project.
It even states the mission of the report is to highlight mistakes and paint a fatal picture of project.

Sure we could say that about anything that is produced. It does however note very important points. I prefer to take both sides and make my own conclusions rather than drink the Kool Aid from either side  

TK105

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):

A copy of the report here :

Thanks.

Some remarks made by persons like Mr.Karlitekin is very valuable and reasonable. Now I understand why this successful person is no more at TK.

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 30):
Quoting OA260 (Reply 31):

I also think that 3rd Airport Project is a disaster on its own. Target could have been achieved easily by extending IST at a much lower cost and at a shorter time while preserving the Northern Forests.

I do not know really what our Buyuklerimiz ("governing authorities") are planning but extension of Istanbul City will not stop with these policies and in a decade we may see a metro area of 30M+ population. This is insane.
The future is in the skies.

PlymSpotter

Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:34 pm

If you open googlemaps you will see that there is almost no green left in Istanbul and the airport is being built in one of the last untouched or fairly untouched green spots

As Istanbul is a city this doesn't surprise me. To the North of Istanbul though I see a very large amount of open green landscape and forest, which looks to be of a much higher quality than the original landscape where the airport is being constructed. I see more 'damage' being done by the Third Bosporus Crossing, which would have proceeded with or without the airport. I'd be interested to know what that project's replanting strategy is?

And when I read comments like this one I just get angry, because this thinking has caused this massacre on nature. It doesn't count and it isn't enough to keep the number of trees constant, it is also important where these trees are...

No it is the 'traditional' complete lack of creating any replacement habitat which is detrimental. If they do indeed replace trees on a 5 to 1 basis, then you will have a highly beneficial outcome. What makes you think that habitat creation is location specific here if the whole area was once covered by forest? The soft landscape can be engineered more easily than you perhaps expect, in fact it normally turns out to be much more beneficial and balanced than 'natural' habitat due to increased biodiversity from a non successive landscape. What is truly important however is the soil - if they are replanting on land previously in succession as forest then that shouldn't be a problem. But hey, I only studied Landscape Architecture to MA level, so what would I know about habitat and trees...

Dan  

Turkish350XWB

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:34 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 33):
But hey, I only studied Landscape Architecture to MA level, so what would I know about habitat and trees...

Oh I love it when people try to suggest competence by stating what they have studied. I have studied electrical engineering and you wouldn´t believe me if I told you people barely knowing what is an electron graduate...

Me as an average citizen I see the last forrests of Istanbul being destroyed, and actually I don´t care if they, for every destroyed tree, plant 5 trees in Panama.

PlymSpotter

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:56 pm

Quoting Turkish350xwb (Reply 34):
Oh I love it when people try to suggest competence by stating what they have studied. I have studied electrical engineering and you wouldn´t believe me if I told you people barely knowing what is an electron graduate...

I don't unfortunately understand your statement at the end, so I will say this: If you have a specialism, then I will always respect and value any opinion within that field, and judge or debate with you on the merit of what you say. This is only rational. So perhaps instead of criticising you would like to engage in dialogue about what I've actually said?

Quoting Turkish350xwb (Reply 34):
Me as an average citizen I see the last forrests of Istanbul being destroyed, and actually I don´t care if they, for every destroyed tree, plant 5 trees in Panama.

They are not planting trees in Panama, they are planting them in and around the new airport site - where are you getting this notion from? No doubt this is not purely for 'green' credentials - there is a huge volume of land which needs to be remodelled and planting trees upon new landform is a great way to stabilise it from erosion in the long term.

FYI on the tree front, if you assume they will replant to a 2m grid, they will be replanting the 10 million trees across 4,000 hectares. This is pretty similar to the area which is being lost to construction.

Dan  

[Edited 2015-11-16 15:02:59]

Turkish350XWB

Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:14 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 35):
They are not planting trees in Panama, they are planting them in and around the new airport site - where are you getting this notion from? No doubt this is not purely for 'green' credentials - there is a huge volume of land which needs to be remodelled and planting trees upon new landform is a great way to stabilise it from erosion in the long term.

I exaggerated to show that location matters.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 35):
FYI on the tree front, if you assume they will replant to a 2m grid, they will be replanting the 10 million trees across 4,000 hectares. This is pretty similar to the area which is being lost to construction.

You very nicely explained that caring for forrests is important and that here the number of trees is even increased, but did not get my argument that this area of forrest is forever lost to concrete, no matter how many trees you plant around it. And let´s not forget the connecting roads that cut through the forrest. Later people will live there and housing will be built, and this will grow and so on.

Which brings us to my statement, that finishing some university may mean nothing, experience I already have made so often regarding people that studied my subject. (I hope "Landscape Architecture to MA level" is a bit more than counting trees?)

At least we share the opinion that the 3rd bridge construction causes lots of damage. Have a nice evening.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos