Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usxguy
Topic Author

Delta Upgrades Juneau To 737 Dec

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:17 pm

SkyWest has been having a hell of a time in Juneau, having cancelled the JNU-SEA flights on the 9th, 12th, and 13th. I've been on some significantly delayed flights as well and after talking to friends at Delta, apparently they underestimated SkyWest's abilities considering they fly into the very challenging Aspen & Sun Valley markets. I guess some assumptions they'd be able to overcome the Taku Winds. And this isn't for landing, their problem has been TAKING OFF since SkyWest can't fly down the channel. They have to do a very tight 180 degree turn almost immediately after takeoff, which aims the plane right at Mt. Anderson and Douglas Island... which is even more challenging than Aspen. And this is related to technology and RNP departures, NOT arrivals.

December 1st, Juneau now gets 737-800 mainline aircraft. A little birdie also told me that Delta has RNP approaches AND departures now.

and after the busy Christmas season, it drops down to 4 flights a week in the winter, which is still good for the folks in Juneau.
xx

woodsboy

RE: Delta Upgrades Juneau To 737 Dec

Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:13 pm

We have been getting DL daily here in Fairbanks on a Compass E-175 and it has been late so often! Twice I was booked out on DL and both times the flight was late and they put me on Alaska so I could make my SEA connections. But I did notice that my spring travel out of FAI is now on a 737-800 but my Christmas trip to Hawaii in and out of FAI is still on the E-175. Any idea when mainline starts in Fairbanks? Its great DL is back, I remember the old days when I flew through Juneau on DL 727s on the way to FAI!

ASFlyer

Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:39 pm

Good thing AS is in JNU and FAI to bail DL out when they end up stranding their passengers. I imagine the 737 will help but I won't be surprised when AS still manages to perform at a higher level in both cities. I wonder if the inevitable end of the DL/AS relationship will also mean an end to their interline relationship the same way they ended their relationship with AA.

[Edited 2015-11-14 15:40:39]

enilria

Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:00 am

Well, here's what I posted 10 month's ago...

Topic: RE: Rumor DL To Service Juneau Year Round
Username: enilria
Posted 2015-01-28 12:55:16 and read 2533 times.
How will a CR9 do operating in the dark both in and out of JNU all Winter? Is that a safe operation for an airline with no experience there in the opinion of someone who knows?

Topic: RE: Rumor DL To Service Juneau Year Round
Username: enilria
Posted 2015-01-28 17:41:07 and read 2225 times.
Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 11):
If DL can't get in at JNU they can always go to Sitka or Ketchikan which is a heck of a lot closer than SEA.

That''l be dreadful operation that won't get them any friends.

...and I was right.

IPFreely

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:48 am

Quoting woodsboy (Reply 1):

We have been getting DL daily here in Fairbanks on a Compass E-175 and it has been late so often! Twice I was booked out on DL and both times the flight was late and they put me on Alaska so I could make my SEA connections.

DL Connection operations are a mess. It's not much better in the lower 48. If you actually need to get where you are going with a reasonable expectation of being on time, it's best to avoid them entirely.

Hopefully Alaska will have open seats so you can make your Christmas flights.

BravoOne

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:00 pm

Not sure what's happening over at SkyWest but over the last year or so the reliability factor of this airline seems to have diminished significantly. Late flights in dirty airplanes are the norm. Good to see Delta switching back to mainline in many areas.

B737900

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 2):
I wonder if the inevitable end of the DL/AS relationship will also mean an end to their interline relationship the same way they ended their relationship with AA.

What DL/AS relationship are you referring to? I am not aware they had a relationship except that they are competitors. Regards
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

RJNUT

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Quoting B737900 (Reply 6):
What DL/AS relationship are you referring to? I am not aware they had a relationship except that they are competitors. Regards

UHmm! they codeshare on many routes in/out SEA. This for Example

1 DL9172Y 15NOV S EUGSEA GK1 935A 1040A /E
OPERATED BY HORIZON AIR DBA ALASKA AIRLINES
2 DL 167Y 15NOV S SEANRT GK1 1205P 400P 16NOV M /E.

b727fa

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Well, that only took 2 replies to bring out the Delta hate! LOL. Always amazed at the vitriol of so many regarding DL/AS. AS is a great company, with a CEO recently named #1 by a business magazine who is leading the airline to record yields, revenue and profit. I don't understand why people can't just celebrate their own companies success instead of tearing down another. My high school tennis coach always said, "Never applaud your opponents unforced errors." Truer words were never said.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

enilria

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:09 pm

Quoting BravoOne (Reply 5):
Not sure what's happening over at SkyWest but over the last year or so the reliability factor of this airline seems to have diminished significantly.

Maybe, but this was simply too operationally challenging of a situation to throw OO into. Even DL will struggle in there in JAN.

usxguy
Topic Author

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:16 pm

well everyone initially said Delta will have problems coming in - the approach - yet, so far they've only had to cancel 1 trip because of the minimums for runway 8. All of the problems have been the JNU5 departure on runway 8; the winds rarely favor or allow a runway 26 departure. The CRJ apparently can't take off in more than a 10kt tailwind... what is the Delta 737-800 rated at?
xx

durangomac

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:25 pm

OO told DL right off the bat it would be a challenging airport to operate at even in the best of conditions because of JNU's location, useable alternates and weather patterns.

Quoting BravoOne (Reply 5):
Not sure what's happening over at SkyWest but over the last year or so the reliability factor of this airline seems to have diminished significantly. Late flights in dirty airplanes are the norm.

Can't speak to the condition of the planes but I was just looking at raw departure and arrival stats before reading this thread and OO has been doing on average 5% points higher on most metrics this year over last year. The industry in general is doing better so it's making it look like OO isn't doing as well.

DiamondFlyer

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:30 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 4):
DL Connection operations are a mess. It's not much better in the lower 48. If you actually need to get where you are going with a reasonable expectation of being on time, it's best to avoid them entirely.

Of the big 3, Delta has by far the best regional operation going right now. You want to see a mess of a regional operation, you just have to look at AA, who is so over extended with their RP flying, that you might as well not even book the last flight out of ORD at night, because you won't get home.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

BravoOne

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Quoting durangomac (Reply 11):
Can't speak to the condition of the planes but I was just looking at raw departure and arrival stats before reading this thread and OO has been doing on average 5% points higher on most metrics this year over last year. The industry in general is doing better so it's making it look like OO isn't doing as well.

JNU is a challenge but those challenges can be overcome with technology and training. I doubt that OO is willing or able to accomplish those goals with the RJ. Good to see Delta making the switch to the 737-800 as it's very suited to those additional requirements.

woodsboy

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:11 pm

Right when the winter service to FAI was announced earlier in the year a DL flight attendant friend of mine with 25+ years at DL told me that the only reason we were getting Compass E-175 service was to get a plane, any plane into FAI and that the plan from the beginning was to transition it to mainline as soon as was possible. I guess that was also their plan in JNU.
As far as the DL and AS "friendship", I am amazed it has lasted this long, still codesharing! I thought that it would at least have begun to be phased out given their constant clashes in SEA and the apparent war that has been brewing for a while now. Every time I buy a DL ticket that has an AS code share segment I wonder if their divorce will happen before the next time I travel!

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:43 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 12):

Of the big 3, Delta has by far the best regional operation going right now. You want to see a mess of a regional operation, you just have to look at AA, who is so over extended with their RP flying, that you might as well not even book the last flight out of ORD at night, because you won't get home.

Don't bother, some people are just trolls.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

32andBelow

Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:32 pm

There is just zero reason for DL to operate into JNU or FAI except to piss AS off. The good news is their performance just makes AS look better and better.

oosnowrat

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:13 am

OO can only operate in Cat I and Cat II conditions. DL had to be aware of that and was willing to take the risk.

usxguy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:06 am

You assume Juneau has ILS....
xx

Frostbite

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:28 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 16):
There is just zero reason for DL to operate into JNU or FAI except to piss AS off.

By this I think you are suggesting that FAI and JNU markets are too small to support >1 year round carrier. From a Lower 48 perspective that would seem bullet-proof reasoning. But, folks in these communities fly a lot - to the point that both support ~4 daily nonstop flights to SEA on AS 737s, even in winter. Judging by your username I am sure you are already aware of this.
I suggest that any US market that has historically supported in the ballpark of 500 daily seats on such a sector, on a "monopoly" basis, is a PRIME candidate for a new entrant. Especially one that already operates seasonal service to said market, and also hubs in a certain city in the Pacific NW.

The good news is their performance just makes AS look better and better.

True enough - except I wound not consider this to be "good" news, unless you like paying more for your air travel rather than less (or work for AS). Say what you will, DL's entry has had an obvious impact on the cost of air travel out of AK - and that IS good news for the rank and file flier.

doug_or

Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:06 am

I'd have assume Delta knew what SkyWest's mins would be for departing JNU, and I'd assume they analysed historical weather patterns before starting this route. Not sure why anyone would blame these failures on anyone outside of Delta.

Quoting oosnowrat (Reply 17):
OO can only operate in Cat I and Cat II conditions. DL had to be aware of that and was willing to take the risk.

Do you know what that means? Did you read the thread before posting? Did you mean to post this reply in a different thread?
When in doubt, one B pump off

ASFlyer

Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:46 am

Quoting Frostbite (Reply 19):
this I think you are suggesting that FAI and JNU markets are too small to support >1 year round carrier. From a Lower 48 perspective that would seem bullet-proof reasoning. But, folks in these communities fly a lot - to the point that both support ~4 daily nonstop flights to SEA on AS 737s, even in winter. Judging by your username I am sure you are already aware of this.
I suggest that any US market that has historically supported in the ballpark of 500 daily seats on such a sector, on a "monopoly" basis, is a PRIME candidate for a new entrant. Especially one that already operates seasonal service to said market, and also hubs in a certain city in the Pacific NW.

JNU has two nonstops this winter.. One flies SEA-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC, so also supports service to other communities in Alaska, not just JNU. FAI has not historically supported four nonstops a day from SEA during the winter. Typically two. What you're seeing here is a case of Alaska adding flights to protect their market. For much of the winter, spring break excepted, it's not difficult to get a seat to either of these places. Yes, people in Alaska travel a lot. I don't think there's a huge case to be made to support more than a couple of nonstops to the lower 48 from either of these cities in the winter, summer is when the flights are full. .

PlanesNTrains

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:03 am

The good news is their performance just makes AS look better and better.

I seem to recall a post - but my memory is foggy on it - that showed DL actually outperforming AS from an airfare and yield perspective ex-JNU. Anyone have that info?

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

jetsetter629

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Quoting woodsboy (Reply 1):

We have been getting DL daily here in Fairbanks on a Compass E-175 and it has been late so often! Twice I was booked out on DL and both times the flight was late and they put me on Alaska so I could make my SEA connections. But I did notice that my spring travel out of FAI is now on a 737-800 but my Christmas trip to Hawaii in and out of FAI is still on the E-175. Any idea when mainline starts in Fairbanks? Its great DL is back, I remember the old days when I flew through Juneau on DL 727s on the way to FAI!

In Fairbanks, does the E175 struggle with the cold temps? A 1:55 am departure cannot be easy on the aircraft at all....

deltal1011man

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:10 pm

There is just zero reason for DL to operate into JNU or FAI except to piss AS off. The good news is their performance just makes AS look better and better.

You do realize Delta was flying to FAI when they were buddy buddy with AS?

And IIRC pre-merger both DL and NW had flights into FAI (SLC for DL, MSP for NW)

diverdave

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:49 pm

Quoting jetsetter629 (Reply 23):

In Fairbanks, does the E175 struggle with the cold temps? A 1:55 am departure cannot be easy on the aircraft at all....

It's on the ground for less than an hour. Temps at cruising altitudes are pretty darned cold as well.  
Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 24):

And IIRC pre-merger both DL and NW had flights into FAI (SLC for DL, MSP for NW)

Yes, NW and DL have had seasonal service into FAI for years.

David

b727fa

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Quoting woodsboy (Reply 14):
a DL flight attendant friend of mine with 25+ years at DL told me that the only reason we were getting Compass E-175 service was to get a plane, any plane into FAI and that the plan from the beginning was to transition it to mainline as soon as was possible.

S/he was talking through their hat. That's not information that is normally released to employees as it's speculative and could "tip our hand." All airlines (and most companies) do that.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

BoeingGuy

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:27 pm

Quoting usxguy (Reply 18):
You assume Juneau has ILS....

Neither of the approaches are straight in, are they? I didn't think that JNU has ILS, correct?

usxguy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:31 pm

The longest distance-approach you'll be align with a runway is the channel approach to RWY 28 when you have maybe 1.5 miles after your left hand turn over Lemon Creek.

coming in on Rwy 8, you are align with then runway and *bam* on you are on the runway. You are maybe 2000 feet in front of the piano keys once aligned (based on the MALSRS - the rabbits are curved, and not straight in).

Only the US Military's C17s have flown straight in on Rwy 8 - not sure why or how - its odd watching them come in, but they are the only ones that do it.

But back to the topic, I think everyone ops wise - was more focused on the APPROACH than the departure. To be honest If I ran an airline I wouldn't ever think of the departure either.

And my question still lingers: what is the max tailwind component for departure on a 737-800 on an 8,000 foot + runway?
xx

Kaphias

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Quoting usxguy (Reply 28):

The longest distance-approach you'll be align with a runway is the channel approach to RWY 28 when you have maybe 1.5 miles after your left hand turn over Lemon Creek.

If you're lucky. I often see pilots working the plane pretty close to touchdown on 28 as well, though this seems to have lessened with the extension.

And my question still lingers: what is the max tailwind component for departure on a 737-800 on an 8,000 foot + runway?

According to (http://www.b737.org.uk/limitations.htm), it's 10kts.

usxguy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:16 pm

so they are still going to have the tailwind problem, unless the rumors ARE true -- and Delta has received approvals for some RNP departures (and approaches I assume..)
xx

BoeingGuy

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:43 pm

Quoting Kaphias (Reply 29):

According to (http://www.b737.org.uk/limitations.htm), it's 10kts.

I don't know the 737 very well, but other Boeing models have 10 knots as baseline and a catalog option to increase to 15 knots tailwind takeoff. The option is just a paperwork change. It doesn't physically do anything to the airplane.

AirlineBrat

Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:27 am

Quoting diverdave (Reply 25):
Yes, NW and DL have had seasonal service into FAI for years.

DL served FAI and JNU and UA served FAI year round for years.

I lived in FAI from 1988-95 and regularly flew between FAI and EWR around Christmas and occasionally during the summer.

I first flew to Alaska on a UA 767 (DEN-ANC-FAI) to attend UAF. The 767 service ended a week later.

Back then UA, DL and AS flew FAI-ANC-SEA redeyes using 727-200's. By the early 90's DL and UA used 757's on that run and the DL FAI-ANC flight connect to the DL ANC-SLC redeye (757's and 767-300's).

I was booked on the DL FAI-JNU-SEA morning flight before that run was discontinued. DL used a 727-200 on that route. The morning of departure, the flight was canceled so DL re-booked me on Markair's SCC-FAI-ANC afternoon 'Pipeline' flight which connected to Markair's new ANC-SEA flight. I was given a seat in F on the way to SEA. Markair was competing with AS on the ANC-SEA run so they went all out on in-flight service. I had the beef wellington  

I also flew DL on the SLC-ANC-FAI run on a 757. That was part of a R/T upgrade for 10,000 miles... FAI-ANC-SEA-DFW-EWR and EWR-CVG-SLC-ANC-FAI. 13-15 hours of free drinks each way can be dangerous  

[Edited 2015-11-16 20:29:41]

[Edited 2015-11-16 20:32:01]
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

b747400erf

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:13 am

Hopefully Alaska will have open seats so you can make your Christmas flights.

I will wait for your citations to back this claim up, since you are such a self proclaimed brilliant financial wizard I know you can do it.

32andBelow

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:23 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 22):
I seem to recall a post - but my memory is foggy on it - that showed DL actually outperforming AS from an airfare and yield perspective ex-JNU. Anyone have that info?

Probably since they have that government contract

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 24):

seasonally. Even condor flies to FAI seasonally.

wjcandee

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:23 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 31):
I don't know the 737 very well, but other Boeing models have 10 knots as baseline and a catalog option to increase to 15 knots tailwind takeoff.

You know, I thought these were part of the individual airline's Ops Spec, although obviously the differences aren't huge in terms of numbers. That fact was responsible for one of the better stories from a major-airline-captain buddy. (Short version: His airline's Ops Spec didn't permit operation of his 737 in certain wind conditions, which happened to be present at a certain Colorado airport one day. Another (now defunct) airline's Ops Spec did barely permit operation of their 737s in those conditions, and he watched as a guy from that airline lined up and departed. While watching the other guy depart, the guy got hit up the butt with a significant gust and came as close to losing it as my buddy personally had seen. No judgments. Just a factual tale.)

[Edited 2015-11-16 22:25:17]

B737900

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:43 pm

Quoting AirlineBrat (Reply 32):
Markair was competing with AS on the ANC-SEA run so they went all out on in-flight service. I had the beef wellington

Just a side note about Markair. I was living in Sitka and back in the 1980's Markair tried to enter the Southeast Alaska market going head-to-head with AS.They hung on in Sitka a matter of a few months failing miserably in Sitka. AS has very strong support in Alaska as you can imagine.

[Edited 2015-11-18 08:05:02]
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

as77w

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 27):
Neither of the approaches are straight in, are they? I didn't think that JNU has ILS, correct?

Negative. Both the RNAV and LDA approaches have offset final approach courses.

Quoting enilria (Reply 3):
Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 11):
If DL can't get in at JNU they can always go to Sitka or Ketchikan which is a heck of a lot closer than SEA.

That''l be dreadful operation that won't get them any friends.

Also a negative. I've seen Skywest make it as far as Annette or Level Island before deciding they need to divert and head all the way back to Seattle. Have not ever seen them try for KTN or SIT and wait it out.

Another inefficient operation I have seen this fall is they route their SEA-FAI direct over ANC. That way they can easily divert into ANC if they determine enroute that they can't make it into FAI.

BoeingGuy

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:11 pm

Quoting as77w (Reply 37):

Also a negative. I've seen Skywest make it as far as Annette or Level Island before deciding they need to divert and head all the way back to Seattle. Have not ever seen them try for KTN or SIT and wait it out.

Why don't they divert to YXY? AS diverted a 734 there awhile back. JNU had low minimums and the 734 had an FMC failure, or some related system.

doug_or

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 38):
Why don't they divert to YX

You don't generally divert to an airport your airline doesn't serve or to a foreign airport when on a domestic flight unless it you need to get on the ground pronto for safety of flight.

If you have the gas to return to your point of departure that is almost always the preferred solution.
When in doubt, one B pump off

32andBelow

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:06 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 38):
Why don't they divert to YXY? AS diverted a 734 there awhile back. JNU had low minimums and the 734 had an FMC failure, or some related system.

Diverting to a foreign country when SIT, KTN, CDV, YAK, ANC, SEA are all in range?

deltal1011man

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:51 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 33):
I will wait for your citations to back this claim up, since you are such a self proclaimed brilliant financial wizard I know you can do it.

lol yeah right

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 34):
seasonally.

okay? whats your point?

So Delta simply can only fly to Alaska seasonally now? And FWIW this isn't Delta's first time into JNU either. Hopefully once SEA gets on normal footing a summer seasonal SLC will come(back)

as77w

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:43 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 40):
Diverting to a foreign country when SIT, KTN, CDV, YAK, ANC, SEA are all in range?

If it was an FMC failure, it sounds like landing at the nearest airport with visual conditions would have been the best option. Most days there isn't a single airport in SE Alaska that is VMC.

32andBelow

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:54 am

Quoting as77w (Reply 42):
If it was an FMC failure, it sounds like landing at the nearest airport with visual conditions would have been the best option. Most days there isn't a single airport in AS Air Limited (Kenya)">SE Alaska that is VMC.

agreed in an emergency. But ANC and/or SEA would be better if you have the fuel. Either was they can FIM all the pax over to AS  

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos