Littleprince
Topic Author

New Beijing Airport To Become World's Largest

Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:19 am

Beijing's new airport, planned for the city's Daxing District, will be completed by 2040, reported by the Beijing times on Thursday.

"The new airport will experience two phases of construction and will have an annual throughput capacity of 100 million passengers by 2040, becoming the world's largest airport," said Wang Baoling, Deputy Director of Beijing SIA City Holdings Co. Ltd., at the China Design Festival in Beijing.

Currently, the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is the world's largest airport with a passenger capacity of 96 million annually. If the passenger capacity of LAX remains unchanged, Beijing's new airport will become the world's largest by 2040.

Source: http://english.cri.cn/12394/2015/11/19/4182s904842.htm

dare100em

RE: New Beijing Airport To Become World's Largest

Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:32 am

As if no other Airports get huge expansion programms till 2040.

DWC is planned for 160 - 260 million by 2025:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Maktoum_International_Airport

[Edited 2015-11-20 00:33:37]

jmchevallier

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:37 am

It looks as there is a technological threshold at 100 Mpax/y for airport capacity that remains to be passed :

- US largest airports can achieve the airside capacity required, in excess of 600 000 ATM/y, but lack the aircraft passenger load to get through. Possibly ATL will do it in the coming years.
This is thanks to the less stringent airnav rules in the US, made possiblle by the very homogeneous population of pilots, the foreigners being a small minority.

- A few big projects are in the pipe, the first to come being Istanbul NIA. We will quickly see how it will be successful in the operations of 3, then 4, 5 and eventually 6 runways including 5 parallel, under ICAO airnav rules and with a more diverse population of pilots.
Al Makhtoum is further away and due to the high share of large aircraft, will require less ATM to reach the 100 Mpax threshold.

- But the real challenge will be in the terminals : how to efficiently and friendly handle the huge passenger flows of quite diverse culture needed to reach these level of traffic ? These very big airports being all connecting hubs, the worst issue will not be landside and/or ground access, but on the airside part of the terminal : how to quickly transfer tens of thousands of passengers with hand baggage from one gate to another one, on account of all the irregularities that may happen : delays, cancellations, bad weather, security hazards.

This will clearly be a key challenge for airports and Airlines for the coming ten years.

Small is beautiful !

flyDTW1992

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:56 am

Quoting jmchevallier (Reply 2):
- US largest airports can achieve the airside capacity required, in excess of 600 000 ATM/y, but lack the aircraft passenger load to get through. Possibly ATL will do it in the coming years.

2008 89,379,287 Increase5.34% 994,346
2009 90,039,280 Increase0.74% 978,824
2010 88,001,381 Decrease2.23% 970,235
2011 92,389,023 Increase3.53% 923,996
2012 94,956,643 Increase3.10% 952,767
2013 94,431,224 Decrease1.13% 911,074
2014 96,178,899 Increase1.85% 868,359

Passengers on the left, aircraft operations on the right for ATL. I think they'll surpass 100mil within a few years, barring any major world events that would cause a downturn. There are several airports in the US that are rapidly expanding, and, in my opinion, several that are "sleepers" poised to grow dramatically after a period of stagnant numbers.
Now you're flying smart

chrisp390

Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:20 am

The media all said many years ago Beijing would take over Atlanta as the worlds largest airport imminently in passenger numbers. Many years later and I am still waiting...

[Edited 2015-11-20 02:20:36]

jmchevallier

Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:20 am

Quoting chrisp390 (Reply 4):
The media all said many years ago Beijing would take over Atlanta as the worlds largest airport imminently in passenger numbers. Many years later and I am still waiting...

Beijing is capped in terms of ATM by airspace constraints. The 4th runway under construction will help, but then Terminal limitations will also prevent PEK to pass the 100 Mpax mark.

This is the reason why a second airport is under construction at Daxing.

ZKOJH

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:37 pm

i'm confused is the new airport not meant to be open in 2018? have they even started building work yet? 2040 seems a long way off and anything can happen in the world by then .
Air New Zealand ~ dreams of flying

jfklganyc

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:41 pm

Quoting FlyDTW1992 (Reply 3):
There are several airports in the US that are rapidly expanding, and, in my opinion, several that are "sleepers" poised to grow dramatically after a period of stagnant numbers.

Beyond ORD with the new parallel runways, FLL with the just opened runway and CLT with a new planned runway, who is expanding?

In the US, any expansion is coming by jamming more pax into existing infrastructure.

One of the reasons why you see the tallest buildings in the world in the Middle East and world class airport terminals in Asia along with plenty of new runway space is that it is easier and cheaper to actually get a major project done in those places.

As the US diddles around with environmental impacts, court challenges, EPA regs, union/management relations, and gridlocked politics, the developing world is passing us by on the infrastructure front.

So while you you will see steady growth in the US, going forward, the world's busiest airports will be in Asia and the Middle East. Not an if...but when.

airbazar

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 7):
who is expanding?

BOS is expanding terminal space and gates although compared to these mega airports it looks like child's play  
https://www.massport.com/media/347323/Compiled_ENF_10292015.pdf
https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/company-operations/pages/united-upgrades-terminal-b-at-logan-international-airport.aspx

Flighty

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:38 pm

So while you you will see steady growth in the US, going forward, the world's busiest airports will be in Asia and the Middle East. Not an if...but when.

That's healthy. Under 5% of global population lives in the USA. We don't need to have the majority of global aviation anymore. But hopefully others learn to be more efficient than we are. If China and India at nearly 3 billion population reach te same level of aviation per capita as we have, that will be ludicrous. US aviation is probably already too big and too busy.

readytotaxi

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:14 pm

Maybe it's just me, but the Worlds Largest Airport should cover the most acreage. The airport with the most passengers should be the Worlds Busiest.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Beatyair

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:29 pm

Are they planning to keep both airports operational or do they plan to shut the current one down? Have they begun?

mercure1

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:32 pm

I think they forgot the new Istanbul. Will have capacity for 150mil.

Also DWC certainly will be up there.

Daxing with simply 100mil will be left far behind.
mercure f-wtcc

modesto2

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Quoting dare100em (Reply 1):

My thoughts exactly. The new Beijing airport will NOT be the largest after DWC is at full build. Beijing is forecasting 100 MAP while DWC is forecasting 220 MAP. Not even close.

Prost

Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:16 pm

Do they get a trophy or something? Who cares if you're the world's busiest? I'm a proud Delta employee, but I've yet to hear a customer chortle with glee 'I get to connect in Atlanta!'

B777LRF

Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:48 pm

Quoting Prost (Reply 14):

Do they get a trophy or something? Who cares if you're the world's busiest? I'm a proud Delta employee, but I've yet to hear a customer chortle with glee 'I get to connect in Atlanta!'

Nope, it's a d1ck swinging contest for fanboys.
Signature. You just read one.

tortugamon

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:50 am

One of the reasons why you see the tallest buildings in the world in the Middle East and world class airport terminals in Asia along with plenty of new runway space is that it is easier and cheaper to actually get a major project done in those places.

As the US diddles around with environmental impacts, court challenges, EPA regs, union/management relations, and gridlocked politics, the developing world is passing us by on the infrastructure front.

You measure quality of infrastructure by tallest buildings and biggest airports?

tortugamon

lightsaber

Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:13 am

I do expect the new Beijing airport to be #1 in passengers at some point. Unless LHR gains runways or JFK/EWR undergo a magical expansion.

Quoting Littleprince (Thread starter):
Currently, the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is the world's largest airport with a passenger capacity of 96 million annually.

LAX does not have a capacity of 96 million. ATL? Sure. Not LAX.

Quoting dare100em (Reply 1):

Towards the lower end of that spectrum in 2025. By 2040, it could be at the 260 million range.

Quoting jmchevallier (Reply 2):
It looks as there is a technological threshold at 100 Mpax/y for airport capacity that remains to be passed :

There is that myth as the airports that could break 100 million have had issues with expansion.
As a reference, use Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_world%27s_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic

LHR with over 73 million in 2014 would easily break the threashold with a 3rd runway, expanded T1 and T5.
ATL requires the 6th runway and terminal expansion that has been discussed, but seems unlikely to happen.
DXB will get close, but with only two runways and ATC restrictions, I suspect it will get close, but not quite over 100 million.

DWC seems to be the first to go for it.

In my opinion, split hubs prevent the potential as the frequency, gauge, and sometimes even destinations are reduced. Hence CDG/ORY, BKK/DMK, HND/NRT, JFK/EWR/LGA, ICN/GMP or land area available PVG/SHA could all break 100 million if combined thanks to the phenomenal connection potential if the metropolitan airports were to be combined. I believe Dubai will lose business by splitting DXB/DWC too.

They used to say there was a barrier at 50 million (yea... I'm feeling old). Any time an industry stalls below an easy to identify threshold, there is talk of a technological obstacle. But there isn't. Put in MUC style baggage handling with a good people mover system and it will happen. The issue is that so far the cities that could support over a 100 million passengers per year do not have the land to do it in one airport. I have hopes for the next Jakarta airport or maybe KUL one day in the far future. It takes a substantial host city economy to break 100 million. We're getting there.

Quoting jmchevallier (Reply 5):
The 4th runway under construction will help, but then Terminal limitations will also prevent PEK to pass the 100 Mpax mark.

That I agree with. PEK is not designed to break 100 million.

Quoting Prost (Reply 14):

Do they get a trophy or something? Who cares if you're the world's busiest?

Passengers care about the connection opportunities. The greater the scale, the more destinations (assuming no curfew to muck up connections). Since so many hubs have refused to expand over the last 20 years, there will be many opportunities as the next billion middle class double the size of the traveling public.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Androol

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:26 am

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 10):
Maybe it's just me, but the Worlds Largest Airport should cover the most acreage. The airport with the most passengers should be the Worlds Busiest.

Perhaps it is just me but I always have felt the 'World's Busiest Airport' should be the airport with the most traffic movement. Passenger counts disregard cargo and private aircraft movements.

ATCtower

Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:00 am

Im curious why no one has mentioned DEN.

WIll they hit that number? Not in my lifetime, but by size of airport property and expansion ability, and that their current master plan is for 12 runways, its hard to believe any existing airport in the world could 'theoretically' handle more pax or planes....

Theres a whole lot of reasons this would never happen, but without question, the 'ability' (idea of the thread) of DEN far surpasses any existing airport with what the city 'plans' to do.
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

jmchevallier

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:48 pm

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 19):
Im curious why no one has mentioned DEN

Yes, DEN with its long term plan for 12 runways looks as a natural candidate for the trophy.

However, the local market is not that large and the altitude of the airport (over 5 000 ft) is not a favorable factor for locating a Tier 1 connecting hub.

No, I do not believe DEN will ever be able to compete with the likes of ATL or ORD, and even less with DWC or Istanbul NIA.

B2468

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:52 am

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do "ATM" and "MAP" mean in this thread? I saw it a few times, and I have no clue.

Thanks!
CNC/DH4/ERJ/306/310/319/320/332/333/343/346/388/72S/731/732/733/734/73G/738/741/744/74E/752/762/763/77E/77W/D95/D1C/M82

jmchevallier

Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:38 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 17):
But there isn't. Put in MUC style baggage handling with a good people mover system and it will happen.

Sorry, but it is not that simple !

The people mover flow generated mostly by the connecting passengers are beyond the capacity of existing systems :
- either they need to be doubled (double loop people movers)
- or they need to be specialized.

Either way , it is quite expensive to implement, the whole system reliability is impacted and passenger orientation is seriously downgraded. Innovative solutions are needed.

It is even worst for Baggage Handling Systems (BHS).

These issues are contributing to delaying the launch of the very big new terminals coming with the > 100 Mpax future airports.

My guess is that ATL will be the first, as the remaining gap is small : no need for a new terminal and new systems.

mafaky

Re: RE: New Beijing Airport To Become World's Largest

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:25 pm

modesto2 wrote:
Quoting dare100em (Reply 1):DWC is planned for 160 - 260 million by 2025:
My thoughts exactly. The new Beijing airport will NOT be the largest after DWC is at full build. Beijing is forecasting 100 MAP while DWC is forecasting 220 MAP. Not even close.

I really do wonder, as from where they are going to find those 200 million plus PAX in an international airport where 80-85% will be TRANSIT pax.

And assuming the present one (Dubai International) will still be kept operational? (Or, will it be?)

As far as the new Istanbul Airport is concerned: It will be constructed in four phases. The first phase will be opened some date in 2018 with a single-roof main terminal capable of 90 million PAX/year with two runways (and a third to be added soon after). By 2028, three more runways and two more terminals (each with 30 million PAX/year) will be added. This terminal is claimed to be the biggest (in size and in passenger handling capacity) of its kind.

I also don't believe to the announcements that DWC will be completed with a 200 million plus capacity by 2025. It's simply unrealistic (capacity-wise and planned date-wise), uneconomic, etc. although it's being built basically on a desert.

On the other hand, the new Istanbul Airport is being constructed on an extremely difficult piece of land, full of hills and craters left from ex-mining excavations. The presently used Ataturk Airport (IST) will cease civil passenger operations when the new one becomes operational (I'm pretty sure that it will be a pretty difficult transition and certainly not an overnight one as what happened in HKG) but the other Istanbul Airport Sabiha Gokcen (SAW) will be retained and in fact, expanded with a 2nd runway and additional terminal, though mainly focusing on LCC operations. As Istanbul is situated geographically on both Asia & Europe, a dual airport operation is still very essential. (IST and new Airport are in European side and SAW is on the Asian side)
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

usflyer123

Re: New Beijing Airport To Become World's Largest

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:59 pm

what about the new istanbul airport?according to Wikipedia its supposed to have a capacity of 150 million pax...
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

mafaky

Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:05 pm

B2468 wrote:
Hi,

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do "ATM" and "MAP" mean in this thread? I saw it a few times, and I have no clue.

Thanks!

"ATM" officially stands for "Airport/Aircraft Traffic Management" but I believe it's also used for "Air(craft) Traffic Movement" (=the number of aircraft using that particular airport covering both landings & take-offs)

"MAP": cannot find the exact the abbreviation used here. It definitely refers the number of passengers being handled by the airport. (Rather: the nominal passenger handling capacity of an airport for incoming, outgoing and transiting passengers per year, transit passengers being counted once!...)
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

mafaky

Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:14 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
what about the new istanbul airport?according to Wikipedia its supposed to have a capacity of 150 million pax...

I answered your question in basics, below. The info at Wikipedia is not totally false, but rather outdated.

As already mentioned, it is under construction with a planned annual "nominal" capacity of 150 million pax/year (with 6 runways) when the fourth and last phase will finalise in 2028. This nominal capacity should be a flexible figure which should be expandable towards to 200 million if and whenever needed.

ImperialAero

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:49 pm

In reply to above, MAP is Million Annual Passengers, which is a count of all enplaned and deplaned passengers handled in a year (with transferring passengers counted twice, transits counted once), can be rolling year or calendar, often also referred to as MPPA = Million Passengers Per Annum. ATM is indeed Air Traffic Movements.

Interestingly US nomenclature often quotes airport capacity in terms of enplaned passengers only, whereas the rest of the world always quotes in terms of total enplaned and deplaned capacity.

DXB will pass 100MAP in mid 2019, and is likely to get to around 110MAP (which with some minor upgrades, it has the terminal capacity to handle) before DWC opens, at which point there will be various shifting of airlines and capacity between the two with DWC handling around 100MAP in the first year of operation in around 2025 with DXB continuing to operate until the second phase of DWC opens around 2030.
ICURFC - Who Is Sylvia?

goosebayguy

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Surely the largest airport is Damman?

admanager

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:19 pm

ATL passed 100 million on Dec. 27, 2015 so that milestone has already been reached.

mafaky

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:23 am

goosebayguy wrote:
Surely the largest airport is Damman?

Yes, I guess you are right, as of now: if you consider only the "area of the land" on which an airport is built on. I remember it is so, vaguely, in somewhere I've read...

You remember the figure?

But in future, the concepts will be changing: for example the new Istanbul Airport will be built upon a piece of land which measures 76.5 km2. However, not only the airport itself with its facilities that will be built on this area. There will be a complex designated as "Airport City" (likely to cover 18 km2) which will include misc. hotel(s), shopping center(s), entertainment facilities, a civil aviation medical center, office blocks, etc. So, I guess, the basic airport-only related facilities and their base area can be safely concluded only after 2028 when all the four phases will be finalised.

And is Damman's figure a "net figure" covering only airport-related facilities?

LAX772LR

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:21 am

lightsaber wrote:
LAX does not have a capacity of 96 million. ATL? Sure. Not LAX.

Surprised it took 16 posts for someone to catch that; LAX isn't anywhere near 96MM pax nor being the world's busiest total pax airport, just the busiest O&D airport.

lightsaber wrote:
ATL requires the 6th runway and terminal expansion that has been discussed, but seems unlikely to happen.

ATL has already surpassed 100MM pax in a calendar year.... last year in fact.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

rrlopes

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:10 pm

mafaky wrote:
B2468 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

"ATM" officially stands for "Airport/Aircraft Traffic Management" but I believe it's also used for "Air(craft) Traffic Movement" (=the number of aircraft using that particular airport covering both landings & take-offs)

"MAP": cannot find the exact the abbreviation used here. It definitely refers the number of passengers being handled by the airport. (Rather: the nominal passenger handling capacity of an airport for incoming, outgoing and transiting passengers per year, transit passengers being counted once!...)

I hadn't seen it before, but from context I assume MAP means Million Annual Passengers.

Beatyair

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:40 am

Bigger then the one Dubei is building?

I thought it was planned to be the biggest?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos