Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jfritz

RE: The Core Truths Of A-Net

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:30 am

The biggest truth hardly talked about is that HP (America West) saved the airline industry in the country. That's why Doug Parker will never de-hub PHX. It's his way of saying thank you.

XAM2175

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:33 am

The Moderators read each and every single reply posted to each and every thread, but will only take action if they see that another member has made a post begging them to do so. The "Suggest Deletion" button does nothing.

par13del

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:37 am

Last but not least, kindly post a link to the source of this thread for fact checking as per site policy.

TheRedBaron

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:24 am

Quoting ThirtyEcho (Reply 199):
Say the words "tarmac," "stewardess" and "co-pilot" often enough and you will be hired by CNN as an aviation expert.

CNN and aviation expert are mutually exclusive words....   

Quoting PEK777 (Reply 201):

If I would have made this thread it would be immediately deleted and a two week ban would result.

3 weeks please...LOL.

Quoting Miami (Reply 203):
How original.     

I was going to point this (MIA being heaven) but over 100 posters already pointed it out.... go figure why...LOL

Quoting kordcj (Reply 226):
CO was the world's best airline until they merged with UA

This is actually true...

Quoting CalTex (Reply 228):
The A380 is dead in the water because nobody wants it, but the 747-8 still has a chance.

LOL.

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 235):
MCO is a dump that no one wants to go to given its proximity to Heaven (MIA), except for crazy Disney fans which is why they have the code MCO for Mickey Mouse.

Actually a lot of tourism fly to MIA and then drive up to Orlando.

Quoting shankly (Reply 249):
New Malaysian Airlines A380 route............KUL-VCV

Its in flight radar as we speak !!!

99% of airliners.net members actually look like this:

The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

ER757

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:24 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 144):
Airlines.net has a higher % of male readers than playboy

100% true fact!

Quoting bradmovie (Reply 233):
Don't forget the merger between Airbus and Boeing, finally they will pool all their creative juices to create the world's Y3LR Neo FBW MaxX CRP BWB -- with virtual windows, shark/et/winglets and , of course, the zorro mask around the cockpit!

And the shark fin tail

Truism #999
The 787 has made point to point flights so practical that BZN/HEL non-stops will start any week now

questions

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:54 am

Male passengers do not rub one out in the lavatory.

DocLightning

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:08 am

Quoting flyinggoat (Reply 106):

If an airplane is on a conveyor belt, and the conveyor belt is set to move at the same speed but opposite direction of the airplane's wheels, the plane will not take off.
Quoting flyinggoat (Reply 107):
If an airplane is on a conveyor belt, and the conveyor belt is set to move at the same speed but opposite direction of the airplane's wheels, the plane will take off.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

hOMSaR

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:08 am

Another one: since this thread has reached well over 200 posts, it must automatically be locked and a "part 2" created.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

incitatus

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:16 am

I can't say this one has been mentioned yet but....

Airline "XX" is terminating a route which was performing well because of lack of available aircraft.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

DocLightning

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:17 am

I took an ABC-XYZ flight and it was full, therefore they should upgage to a 747.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

airportugal310

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:18 am

I think this whole thread is summarized as such: "don't believe 95% of anything your read on here"

Sounds about right!
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

n53614

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:23 am

I must know EXACTLY WHY an airliner had to do a go-around today. I refuse to do the normal run-down of go-around reasons:

-Traffic on the runway

-Unstabilized approach

-ATC commanded

-Wake turbulence

-TCAS alert

-Gear unsafe light

-WX below minimums
B722 B732 B733 B734 B735 B73G B738 B739 B742 B752 B763 B772 A319 A320 A332 CRJ2 DHC8 DH8D E135 E140 E145 MD83

IPFreely

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:36 am

Quoting coronado (Reply 216):
Delta is an operational nightmare that lies to the government every month. If they only cancel 13 flights in one month it must mean that every single one of their other flights were at least 2 days late.

I think you mean Delta Connection, not Delta.

coronado

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:42 am

High load factors does not mean the flight is profitable.
Delta has record high load factors
Therefore Delta must be loosing it's shirt.

[Edited 2015-11-21 20:14:47]
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

questions

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:55 am

#116 - FA's are reliable sources of non-public strategic information.

747megatop

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:27 am

Whenver there is an air crash; A.net experts do ZERO speculation and if there is a post then the experts here arrive at the root cause in less than 10 posts.

MayaviaERJ190

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:44 am

MEX must be an imaginary airport as nothing seems ever able to get in/out of there because it is so hot(?) and high.
My other plane is an A380.

hh65man

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:45 am

SkyNet activates itself as a entity and recognises A-Net as it's most serious threat and launches an all out war against every aircraft flying at the time. It disables the global GPS satellite tracking system along with all Global ATC. It's first strike has caught the worlds entire flying aircraft and airlines off guard and by doing so every aircraft, pilots and crew are now flying completely blind. Knowing and realising the reliance that man is used to having on computers what follows is a catastrophe of such huge proportions that pretty much anything that isn't a Turbo Prop crashes ......After all the mayhem settles down it then shuts down A-Net...... I pray I am not flying on that day...... 

[Edited 2015-11-21 20:57:01]

warden145

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:02 am

Quoting hh65man (Reply 267):
SkyNet activates itself as a entity and recognises A-Net as it's most serious threat and launches an all out war against every aircraft flying at the time. It disables the global GPS satellite tracking system along with all Global ATC. It's first strike has caught the worlds entire flying aircraft and airlines off guard and by doing so every aircraft, pilots and crew are now flying completely blind. Knowing and realising the reliance that man is used to having on computers what follows is a catastrophe of such huge proportions that pretty much anything that isn't a Turbo Prop crashes

And...some people still find a way to rule the crashes as "pilot error"!

Here's another one...if someone dares to be a human being and make an error in a post, no matter how innocent of a mistake it may have been, that person's fingernails must be removed with rusty pliers as punishment. 
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

Ih8b6

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:10 am

I always thought that those threads that asked "why does abc airline use 767s instead of 757s from aaa-bbb?" Or "why does ccc airline fly to ddd but not eee?" and "why are jetred's seats 31" pitch instead of 31.2"?" Were the dumbest threads of all time on airliners.net (maybe in the history of the world). Then, I clicked on this one. New winner!
Over-moderation sucks

cio666

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:35 am

A program-saving order for the 747-8 from a major international carrier is IMMANENT!

EK will place a firm order for 3000 A380s, but only if Airbus will commit to building a NEO.

Boeing is very close to reopening the 757 production line. Fish exporters throughout the world are ecstatic.

TheRedBaron

Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:00 am

Reader respect rating has nothing to do with respect and depends more on a lot of fanboyism......except NAV30 that hates anything with more than 2 engines, and not made in the USA.

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

lancelot07

Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:57 am

with more than 270 replies this thread needs to be closed at once, and Part 2 opened. 

WearyDrover

Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:04 am

Quoting cio666 (Reply 270):
A program-saving order for the 747-8 from a major international carrier is IMMANENT

It sure would be but is it imminent? What does the galley slave think?
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

ajhYXE

Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:20 am

Acronyms must be used on this site whenever possible, no matter how obscure. It is the responsibility of other members to learn them if they do not know the meaning (even when a simple google or wikipedia search does not provide the answer).

The words loose and lose have the same meaning, and loose is the preferred spelling of many native English speaking members.

G4 is the reincarnation of J7.

Quoting lancelot07 (Reply 272):
with more than 270 replies this thread needs to be closed at once, and Part 2 opened.

Be respectful of those who may still use IE6. I'm sure they are sitting in front of their CRT monitors right now upset that their browser keeps crashing every time they try to read this thread.  
GO RIDERS!

trent1000

Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:44 am

For better or worse:
1. A Netters are mostly American. That means this site is American-centric in its views and opinions/cultural perspective;
2. The flag at one's site name might not accurately reflect the residency or nationality of the member;
3. Flaming is a sooner-than-later tactic in preference to accepting an alternative opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but an opinion does not mean you have the right to claim that you are correct;
4. Not everyone is an aviation expert/work in the industry. Some/most of us are just interested in aviation and just want to ask simple questions that seem 'dumb' by workers inside the industry;
5. The "search" function of this website needs updating/revision.
6. As we are now in 2015, this website needs a makeover post 2000 look.
Despite passions about the B747 being the "Queen of the skies", the website needs a serious refresh/makeover.
How about a main picture of the A380? Ouch! How that would grate against the main US (Boeing) member base...

Thank you for the opportunity to state opinions at a thread rather than to moderators (with their cultural blinkers on).

This website needs to represent global opinion/perspective of aviation without fear of retribution and not just a U.S. view. Get used to it people - we live in a global society, not just a U.S. one...

JetBuddy

Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:30 am

- Airbuses are flown by computers, and Boeings by people. Except in Asia where computers fly both.

- Southwest pilots are all cowboys and never use LNAV and VNAV

- The Rekkof/Fokker 120NG is just around the corner.

- Fleet commonality is paramount. One aircraft for all missions is best.

- Fleet diversity is best. One type for each mission beats everything.

- Airbus sell planes at a loss just to undercut Boeing.

- Boeing sell planees at a loss just to undercut Airbus.

- Nobody wants an A380, and all rumors of any future buyers are false.

- All Middle East carriers run on subsidies

- Who needs more runways? London Heathrow is doing fine with two.

- 76 seat regional jets are the most efficient planes in existence.

- The 787 makes any route viable, as long as you fly it once every third week.

Finn350

Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:36 am

Quoting trent1000 (Reply 275):
For better or worse:
1. A Netters are mostly American. That means this site is American-centric in its views and opinions/cultural perspective;
2. The flag at one's site name might not accurately reflect the residency or nationality of the member;
3. Flaming is a sooner-than-later tactic in preference to accepting an alternative opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but an opinion does not mean you have the right to claim that you are correct;
4. Not everyone is an aviation expert/work in the industry. Some/most of us are just interested in aviation and just want to ask simple questions that seem 'dumb' by workers inside the industry;
5. The "search" function of this website needs updating/revision.
6. As we are now in 2015, this website needs a makeover post 2000 look.
Despite passions about the B747 being the "Queen of the skies", the website needs a serious refresh/makeover.
How about a main picture of the A380? Ouch! How that would grate against the main US (Boeing) member base

Let me translate your input to this thread's language:

1. A Net views and opinions fairly present multiple cultural viewpoints and are not centric to any single culture;
2. The flag at one's site name accurately reflects the residency or nationality of the member;
3. The discussions here are fact-based and flaming is non-existent:
4. Everyone here is an aviation expert or works in the industry;
5. The "search" function of this website is functional;
6. The design and functionality of the this website continues to present state-of-the-art despite originating from the previous millennium

Brewfangrb

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:11 am

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 147):
Quoting Skisandy (Reply 48):
* Airbus aircraft are too quiet - it's stressful for Americans flying on them because of that.

This is one of the silliest. Indeed.

Is this actually a thing? Really?

mozart

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:57 am

1) Airbus is better than Boeing

2) Boeing is better than Airbus

3) EWR is not serving New York, a true New Yorker especially from Manhattan never uses it

4) EWR is New York's most important airport, especially for Manhattan

5) The ME3 and their hubs are all paid for by the government and all airlines and airports elsewhere in the world receive no government aid, neither directly nor indirectly

6) Emirates is destroying jobs in North Dakota, New Mexico and Vermont

7) Nobody has back problems and it is perfectly alright for airline passengers to sit leaning against a straight wall when crossing a continent/an ocean

8) Reclining backrests are a right guaranteed by the constitution as they represent freedom to move

9) We don't fly to eat so feeding foul tasting, bland processed "food" to a nation of obese and sick people is all that can be expected

10) It's part of being in aviation that companies have to feed their customers

11) A Delta 737 that has its registration number painted 2 feet further forward on the fuselage is an earth-shattering event and people should take a day off their job to go to the airport and take pictures of this unique and historic moment

12) The TSA employs complete morons who don't make flying safer but just more cumbersome

13) The TSA employs highly skilled and extremely well trained security professionals who are the nation's stalwart's against terrorism, especially against those people that speak anything other than American English (i.e. foreign languages or English without interjecting "like" every three words and using indirect speech)

14) Air France planes are dirty, and all other airlines' planes are clean

enzo011

Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:01 am

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 13):
How about the A321 is always superior to the 737-900ER?

I guess we could add, How about the 77W is always superior to the A340-600....   

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 219):
Economy class passengers are nothing more than free-loading nuisances who have been getting far more than they deserve for decades, and it's about time the airlines start sticking it to them.

If you buy economy class tickets you get what you pay for...no matter what you paid for the ticket.

To add - 17.2" seats are fine and anyone complaining is just trying to win an argument.
18" seats are great and will cause 20 hour flights to be bearable in economy.

Having a choice is the best...if you choose to be miserable you should be happy, at least you chose it...

na

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:02 pm

Any airline which doesnt order the 777 is stupid, because..., because, because, bec...I want it, I want it!

BREAKING NEWS: DL (alternatively AA/WN/UA) is going to open a route between Random (totally uninteresting redneck town) to Zzzzzzzzz (sleepy midwestern roadcrossing).

captainmeeerkat

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:45 pm

"Truths"

All Airbus planes come with a free dog in the cargo hold that growls and barks when passengers are boarding and deboarding.

All Boeing planes are controlled by the second, third, fourth and fifth officers who manually move the control surfaces when the pilot moves his yoke.

Anything built in Russia will fall out of the sky becaue either the factory worker was drunk, the pilot was drunk or the airplane was running on alcohol and not fuel!

Any order for the SSJ was made at gunpoint.
my luggage is better travelled than me!

WIederling

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 217):
My reply was intended to be ironic...

For irony, sarcasm, satire crossing cultural/perception boundaries is like going into mirror universes  

Hard facts!
Murphy is an optimist

kevin

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:28 pm

Why? Oh why no ME3 are serving DTW? It just doesn't make any sense!!

SFOA380

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:32 pm

The QF DFW route has been a resounding success and is printing money.

tlecam

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:13 pm

Quoting enzo011 (Reply 280):
To add - 17.2" seats are fine and anyone complaining is just trying to win an argument.
18" seats are great and will cause 20 hour flights to be bearable in economy.

Two additional postulates:

A: Anyone who can't fit comfortably into an economy seat is obese, and the person has only him/herself to blame. There is no other cause of obesity than a weak personal constitution and a lack of self control. Also, anyone who doesn't fit into an economy seat is clearly a wretched, horrible 3rd class citizen.

B: The ever expanding waist line of the American public is a myth and the airlines are simply making seats smaller and ONLY CARE ABOUT THE BOTTOM LINE BECAUSE THEY ARE SOUL-LESS CORPORATIONS. There is no personal responsibility for anyone related to his or her size.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

LGAviation

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:15 pm

Asian bilaterals are all restrictive and every carrier not deploying wide bodies on intra-Asian routes is insane. Same goes for all passengers choosing UA over any Asian carrier (incl. LCCs).

And of course airlines in Europe and America cannot possibly go bankrupt and any order from ME or Asia is uncertain and no one manufacturer would choose 300 EK orders over 30 AA orders
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

ER757

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:19 pm

Quoting ajhYXE (Reply 274):
The words loose and lose have the same meaning,

the words then and than are interchangeable

LGAviation

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 276):
- Nobody wants an A380, and all rumors of any future buyers are false.

Except that once a week some airline (preferably US airlines especially UA, but TK,CX,SV are also aright) is offered the airline at an unbeatable price and is going totally enthusiastic about it and will change their position.
Oh and I forgot there is this small ME subsidized airline EK that somehow, likely through the use of witchcraft, pretends to make the bird work and that totally will order another 300-500 if only it improves by 1% in performance or grows by 1 seat in passenger capacity
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

mugler

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:31 pm

People still type Columbia when referring to Colombia

People still type Qantas as Quantas

There isn't a week without a thread about DL/UA/AA/SW doing/saying something

Quoting na (Reply 281):
BREAKING NEWS: DL (alternatively AA/WN/UA) is going to open a route between Random (totally uninteresting redneck town) to Zzzzzzzzz (sleepy midwestern roadcrossing).

Q

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:38 pm

Some Anet still typing that make no sense word none of in this Webster dictionary or dictionary from internet at all.

Word is no make a sense is:

Upgauge.   

That word is correct = Upgrade   

Q

vfw614

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:20 pm

1) I took flight XX999 last wednesday and it was full - so it must be a profitable route.

2) All my friends I have spoken to would like to see route XXX-YYY started - so I don't understand why no airline is picking up the gold lying on the street.

3) No free food on trains, coaches, ships is no problem at all, but no free food on planes will lead to the extinction of the human race.

4) Before making a booking, every airline passengers spends hours researching the available aircraft types, consults aircraft literature (including aircraft accident databases) and analyzes seat maps, as the single most important issue for mankind is if they fly on a [insert type] or a [insert another type] on a 45 minute flight.

5) As one spends more of his lifetime on planes than at home / at work, seat selection is more important than buying a house / applying for a job.

6) The ATR is the deadliest weapon of mass destruction ever conceived. The world outside the US that is buying ATR like hot bread is just too stupid to understand.

7) Without John Leahy Airbus wouldn't be selling a single airplane.

8) Once YTZ gets cleared for jet operations, Porter will rule the world.

9) If it weren't for the lack of sufficient airframes, every regional airport in Europe would have its daily 757 service to New York.

10) Every airline ordering the Sukhoi Superjet must have been blackmailed by Mr. Putin or be on his payroll and in fact are a clandestine spy organization operating the Superjets as spyplanes.

readytotaxi

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:40 pm

Delta sued Zimmer frame and won after they copied their food cart design, saying that their female FA's had been using this aid for many years to get from one end of the plane to the other.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Aircellist

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:44 pm

Wow! One minute spent reading this thread actually saves a few hours reading all the others!
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

readytotaxi

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Air France do NOT have dirty planes, they started out with dirty paint.

All children traveling in a First Class cabin will be on Best Behavior.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Revelation

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:03 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 255):
Male passengers do not rub one out in the lavatory.

Of course not. Every a.net member is so attractive they have no problem talking the nearest hottie/stud into coming into the nearest lav and do whatever they want done! Even if it's the slimline lavs in the DL 739ER at the end of a long day of flying.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

CplKlinger

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:07 pm

CVG is a perfect location for a hub, I can't understand why Delta left it to die/WN doesn't fly there/UA-AA doesn't fight it out to make it a hub.

LGAviation

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Quoting CplKlinger (Reply 297):

CVG is a perfect location for a hub, I can't understand why Delta left it to die/WN doesn't fly there/UA-AA doesn't fight it out to make it a hub.

Well CLE ought to be a contender in that. It's location is simply perfect and the great city of Cleveland deserves better. Sorry that I didn't come up with a LeBron reference

coronado

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:20 pm

The windows of the CRJ are too low
The windows of the DC8 are too far apart
Every single window of the DC9/MD80/90/717 looks out at an engine
The self dimming window on a 787 is the worst idea ever
The self dimming window on a 787 is the best idea ever
The Caravelle windows are the best looking windows
Getting rid of the eyebrow windows means the end of airplanes as we know them and the first step on producing windowless airplanes
I should be able to keep my window open on a transpacific flight when everyone else is trying to sleep - there is an amazing change of scenery on 4000 miles of empty ocean
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos