Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rj968
Topic Author

Aeroflot Tupolev TU-114 Rossiya Promo Film

Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:08 am

Good quality video from “Classic Airliners & Vintage Pop Culture”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3eVW5sWPes&feature=em-subs_digest-g

I searched and didn’t see that this had been on A.net before. There is an older thread on the TU-114;
Tupolev Tu-114 And Large Turboprops In General (by Palmyboy12 Sep 29 2012 in Civil Aviation)#menu27

As a former ramp rat I really liked the ramper pushing a cart of bags down the middle of the cargo bin/pit ! Liked the lower galley too, long before the Tri Star. The beds look better than what I just flew in J on a DL A330.

RJ

JetBuddy

RE: Aeroflot Tupolev TU-114 Rossiya Promo Film

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:20 am

Yep, amazing aircraft.. looks very luxurious. But the only people who were able to fly them were people high up in the communist party, executives of businesses (who were all state owned along with Aeroflot) and their families, as well as high ranking military officers and their families. People even needed passports to travel domestically. But very interesting aviation history.

tu204

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:38 am

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 1):

Yep, amazing aircraft.. looks very luxurious. But the only people who were able to fly them were people high up in the communist party, executives of businesses (who were all state owned along with Aeroflot) and their families, as well as high ranking military officers and their families. People even needed passports to travel domestically. But very interesting aviation history.

Not even close. During Soviet times air transport was much more affordable for the general population. Passports are still needed to travel in Russia, be it rail or air. A passport is an Identification document and you get one when you turn 14. Before that you use your birth certificate.

Nice video, this was the first layout of the Tu-114. However in the mid-60's they were all transferred to an all economy layout with 200+ seats.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

AY104

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks for the link to the great video. I have always been fascinated by the TU-114, and seen many videos. This one is the most interesting.
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

rj968
Topic Author

Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Quoting tu204 (Reply 2):

Great to hear from Mother Russia on this one. Kind of disappointed on the lack of comments. Being one of the "old guys" on A.net all my post are reference to the late prop/early jet era from when I started in the industry. I guess not to many remember the TU-114! The previous thread listed above has some good videos with the engine sounds (TU-95)

RJ

SR380

Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:46 pm

It's a shame the TU-114 did last long in SU's fleet... Replaced very soon by Il-62.

Aeroflot777

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:00 pm

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 1):
But the only people who were able to fly them were people high up in the communist party, executives of businesses (who were all state owned along with Aeroflot) and their families, as well as high ranking military officers and their families. People even needed passports to travel domestically.

Absolutely incorrect factually.

Everyone had passports, all of us still have two passports in Russia to this day, one international and one domestic.

Quoting tu204 (Reply 2):
During Soviet times air transport was much more affordable for the general population.

clickhappy

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:27 am

The interior reminds me of an old train - very cool.

RayChuang

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:03 am

People forget that the range of the Tu-114 was actually quite good circa 1960--5,200 nm, which was only exceeded by the Boeing 707-320B (which only became widely available by 1963). That's how Aeroflot was able to establish many long routes.

JoeCanuck

Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:56 am

Amazing tech for the mid 50's...considering, like the B-52, the not quite as luxurious brethren, the Bear is still in service today.

I can't imagine the noise coming off of those props but reports from fighters intercepting them in the arctic say they can hear them through the canopies is their jets.
What the...?

JetBuddy

Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:46 am

Quoting tu204 (Reply 2):
Not even close. During Soviet times air transport was much more affordable for the general population. Passports are still needed to travel in Russia, be it rail or air. A passport is an Identification document and you get one when you turn 14. Before that you use your birth certificate.
Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 6):
Absolutely incorrect factually.

Everyone had passports, all of us still have two passports in Russia to this day, one international and one domestic.

Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose the Russian who told me about that era told me lies.

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 9):
Amazing tech for the mid 50's...considering, like the B-52, the not quite as luxurious brethren, the Bear is still in service today.

Definately.

Aeroflot777

Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:18 am

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 10):
I suppose the Russian who told me about that era told me lies.

Not necessarily lies, but many people didn't have a reason to fly, so aviation was something they stayed away from and didn't know much about.

It really wasn't that expensive at all and both my grandfathers and father flew extensively domestically during the days of the Soviet Union. Grandmother was more international.

RIX

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:25 pm

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 10):

I suppose the Russian who told me about that era told me lies.

...Or there was a misunderstanding: while, like the others pointed above, it is totally untrue for "who could afford to fly", it is very true for "who was traveling abroad" (and this machine was a mainstay of international flights).

Quoting tu204 (Reply 2):
A passport is an Identification document and you get one when you turn 14. Before that you use your birth certificate.

It was 16 - has it changed? Plus, I didn't need birth certificate to fly as a child (not unaccompanied) - did this change too?

Great post. I remember them both in the sky and in airport, visiting Novosibirsk Tolmachevo as a child...

Viscount724

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:32 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 9):

And if not mistaken the Bear and Tu-114 still rank as the fastest turboprops ever built.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos