Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zchannel
Topic Author

NextGen Air Transportation System

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:45 pm

Just saw this in my Facebook feed:

"Communities in San Francisco, Dallas, Denver, Phoenix and now Los Angeles are having major noise issues with the implementation of the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) that guides in jetliners using satellites instead of air traffic controllers."

The article states that it t promises a more efficient Air Traffic Control system by having satellites guide aircraft in and out of airports, but it comes at the cost of increased jet noise and has some NIMBYs pretty fired up.

Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.laweekly.com/news/is-mass...g-to-unsuspecting-la-video-6305819
ZChannel: Member FDIC

mcoatc

RE: NextGen Air Transportation System

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:15 pm

Wait, if the satellites are doing everything, what on Earth are they paying me to do?

This is simply the implementation of new RNAV arrivals and departures, which is generally great for everyone not under an RNAV fix/airway. If you've ever seen the difference between a traditional SID and an RNAV, so far as noise profiles, it's quite stark. Now every plane is flying a nearly identical route, and ATC does very little to change the routes.....thats's the point, as they've been optimized for efficiency. Unfortunately, the same houses are now going to get hit with noise every time.

What I'm calling BS on....well, a lot of it. But where they're talking about the planes being lower, all of the metroplex airspace re-designs that have been occurring have profile climbs and descents as part of them. We know planes aren't fuel efficient down low, so the profiles allow fairly constant rate climbs and descents so jets spend LESS time down low, which is contradictory to what is being claimed by the folks in the article.

I guess we should blame the satellites....

mjoelnir

RE: NextGen Air Transportation System

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:21 pm

I would say NIMBYs on a roll. AFAIK the new system should reduce noise, reducing circling of waiting frames and allowing continuous approach with reduced engine use, less time over build up areas and so on. No idea how it should lead to increased numbers of low fling aircraft. I think they are afraid of increased aircraft numbers, but I do not believe in increased noise.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos