UPNYGuy
Topic Author

SWA FAs Who Make Off-color Comments

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:44 am

July of 2006 I was flying SWA from ALB-MDW-STL. When we were departing ALB, the FA made a comment during her safety briefing that was something like this...

"now ladies, when I ask to turn off all electronic devices, that means PERSONAL devices as well! I don't want to hear any buzzing or humming as we are going down the runway."

The implication was obvious, and I thought it was highly unprofessional, as did many other people on the flight. In fact, this very thing put me off of SWA until just recently, where I booked 2 flights so far for 2016. They were the best option, and less than half the cost of the alternative. Previously, I was paying royally just to avoid them. I figured that 9 years is long enough for this to totally blow over (hence the post did not happen directly after the flight).

Is this really how SWA operates? Or is this a HUGE generalization.

avi8

RE: SWA FAs Who Make Off-color Comments

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:52 am

I think it is a massive generalization. Some of SWA's flight attendants use sense of humor for their safety demonstrations and announcements, it's part of their culture. However, I doubt that they would ever be inappropriate, despective or racist on purpose or with bad intentions. I personally find this announcement you said quite funny, I would take it with a grain of salt. But hey, that's just how my personality works.
avi8

Medschool student

catiii

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:53 am

Quoting UPNYGuy (Thread starter):
July of 2006 I was flying SWA from ALB-MDW-STL. When we were departing ALB, the FA made a comment during her safety briefing that was something like this...

"now ladies, when I ask to turn off all electronic devices, that means PERSONAL devices as well! I don't want to hear any buzzing or humming as we are going down the runway."

The implication was obvious, and I thought it was highly unprofessional, as did many other people on the flight. In fact, this very thing put me off of SWA until just recently, where I booked 2 flights so far for 2016. They were the best option, and less than half the cost of the alternative. Previously, I was paying royally just to avoid them. I figured that 9 years is long enough for this to totally blow over (hence the post did not happen directly after the flight).

Is this really how SWA operates? Or is this a HUGE generalization.

Obviously their shtick doesn't insult many. They're the second largest carrier by pax, your 9 year old experience not withstanding.

atct

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:53 am

I have no problems with Southwest or their professionalism.
Trikes are for kids!

Spiderguy252

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:59 am

That's really something you don't want to hear on a plane, it'll find a place in a B-grade sitcom however.

But as long as they get you from A to B and the fare is cheap, you will have to grit your teeth and bear it. I'm sure the alternatives aren't too flash either.
Vahroone

Jerseyguy

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:02 am

We're talking about something that happened 9 years ago? Your paying a premium to fly on other carriers because the FAs may be a little off-color? Unless you are flying with your teenage kids (I don't believe young kids would have a clue about this reference) you need to put your prudishness aside and save. Also this was 2006, perhaps she was talking about pagers LOL
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

SXDFC

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:12 am

You're kidding me right? You thought of this as unprofessional? Not to mention something that happened 9 years ago.. I've heard many funny remarks and singing from many WN FAs on my flights with them, even before I was employed by them. Like any other airline I've also seen a few FA's who weren't as friendly as well. If you think that comment above is unprofessional, then I'd love to hear what you'd say about a FA who is rude to you. Hope you're WN experience(s) in 2016 are good ones..

UPNYGuy
Topic Author

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:25 am

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 7):
You're kidding me right? You thought of this as unprofessional?

Yes I did. I thought it vulgar and rude. And for what it is worth, I travel roughly 30,000 miles per year on US/AA, so no small amount for a leisure traveler, so I have become accustomed to the perks of entry level elite status. However, they are starting to become meaningless when you are enrolled in Nexus. So I decided to give SWA another shot to see what would happen. I have always thought of SWA as less than premium airline (but from that and that alone), and only time will tell if my opinion changes.

[Edited 2015-11-23 20:27:43]

michman

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:49 am

I think you are leaving some out. From my days of flying on WN, I'm quite confident the wording was "personal PLEASURE devices". I was fairly used to the WN schtick when I heard it , so I didn't find it all that entertaining, but neither did I find it all that offensive. Someone needs to get a life.

CalTex

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:43 am

From my experience, Southwest has a much more relaxed demeanor than Delta, American, and United, which I would all describe as formal. If you have a very serious, formal, no-nonsense personality, I can easily see how Southwest might rub you the wrong way, even without the off-color joke. Personally, I find Southwest a refreshing change of pace from the usual rigamarole. Often, my Southwest flights ARE the usual rigamarole.

I've never been a fan of describing an airline with just one experience. On any day, I could have an exceptionally bad experience on any airline. That doesn't mean the airline is bad; that means I had a bad experience once.

seabosdca

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:45 am

Southwest staff's shtick can be annoying to me -- I like "just the facts" customer service -- but holding a grudge for 9 years over a PG-rated joke is unbelievable. I'd hate to see what you would do if your warm nuts came in a paper bag rather than a ramekin.

Confuscius

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:58 am

I can understand if it's a Hitachi Magic Wand, but I thought small electronic devices are allowed to be on during takeoff.

Here's another kinda funny Southwest example...

"As the two were trying to find seats on the crowded plane, Cundiff said over the intercom, "Eenie, meenie, minie, moe; pick a seat, we gotta go."

Sawyer and Fuller said the rhyme immediately struck them as a reference to an older, racist version in which the first line is followed by the words "catch a n——r by the toe."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-01-22-swa-rhyme_x.htm

[Edited 2015-11-23 22:00:34]
Ain't I a stinker?

Spiderguy252

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:07 am

Quoting michman (Reply 8):
I think you are leaving some out. From my days of flying on WN, I'm quite confident the wording was "personal PLEASURE devices". I was fairly used to the WN schtick when I heard it.....

Wait, this is/was a repetitive scripted announcement?
Vahroone

RWA380

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:09 am

Quoting avi8 (Reply 1):
I personally find this announcement you said quite funny, I would take it with a grain of salt. But hey, that's just how my personality works.

Exactly! I think it's clever & acknowledges something men find difficult to accept, many women are owners of personal tension relievers. Some men find it an attack on their own adequacy & find the mere reference to a vibrator offensive.

Quoting michman (Reply 8):
Someone needs to get a life.

The nice thing about the forum & dare I say the free world, we all get to have opinions & express them, even if they are outdated due to current values being in the toilet.

I personally would have laughed out loud if I heard that from a FA, but I'm usually on AS, so it would be unlikely. I do not find it offensive in the least & I'm really sure my 80 y/o Father would laugh too, but not my 80 y/o Mother.

I have not viewed the OP's profile, but maybe it's just a generational thing, there are many 50+ folks who don't appreciate the level of course humor many of us are used to, being in the day to day world.

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 10):
I'd hate to see what you would do if your warm nuts came in a paper bag rather than a ramekin.

I hear OZ has an opening for a nut inspector ...
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

DocLightning

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:57 am

I love flying WN. I've never heard any overtly sexual humor but I've heard some pretty funny stuff on WN. And I've had totally boring normal flights. But I can't say I've ever had a flatly UNPLEASANT experience on WN. I've had a 3.5 hour delay due to fog in SFO, but that's now WN's fault. They apologized and got us there as fast as they could.

I agree that sexual humor is probably out of bounds in the business world, though.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

bennett123

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:17 am

Hardly seems a big deal.

As for the Sawyer and Fuller thing, it was something you sang in the playground.

Do not recall thinking about the words.

zrs70

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:24 am

The problem with humorous announcements is that the joke gets old. This is especially true when the FA has a routine for the safety demo.

The time time you hear it, it may sound spontaneous and funny.
The second time, you roll your eyes.
The third time, you want it to stop.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

ericm2031

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:30 am

The hot pants and go-go boots were definitely offensive and controversial to some but they kept it. They've had CEO's wearing full drag outfits for Halloween, which many would consider offensive or unprofessional for the workplace, but they keep doing it. Yes, their employees may not be wearing suits but that's not their style or the product they are selling.

Their comedic announcements at least get your attention. I actually listen to a Southwest announcement but put on headphones to a boring one (which sometimes Southwest has) or close my eyes to a pre-recorded video on a legacy carrier.

They have a nearly 45 year old winning formula and I've always considered them to be "the people's airline." They continue to score high in customer satisfaction. Giving their employees more freedom to be themselves definitely results in happier employees who treat your customers the best and that has always been in their blood.

bluejuice

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:08 am

During one busy flying year, I flew 24 WN segments and had one crew that took the humor approach. It was not over the top or anything offensive. Did 90 AA segments the same year with about 40 S80 flights requiring a manual safety demonstration. Two crews took the humor approach with one so over the top I was laughed until it hurt.

While I do not fly WN often anymore, they have a great company culture. In particular, I love Herb's way of resolving business disputes. Other companies toss lawyers at each other while HK settled it Texas style. The "Malice in Dallas" is how more companies should settle matters.
Not biased against vacuum flush.

rbavfan

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:01 am

26-35 years old and you found that comment so bad 9 years ago. I've heard worse from peoples mouths when they were upset at not getting their way on airplanes. Hell Zsa Zsa Gabor was taken off a DL flight years ago, we heard really bad words in several languages.

JetBuddy

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:40 am

People are so sensitive. A university in the US has stopped yoga classes, because certain cultures might find it offensive.

The FA comment was a bit vulgar, but I found it kind of funny. It certainly wouldn't stop me from flying them for 9 years. People need to deal with it if they feel offended, and not take everyone else's liberty away because of it.   

BravoOne

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:29 am

Well just reverse the role and say something off color to one of the FA's and se how well it works for you the next time. Your treading on thin ice when you package one-hundred and twenty five pax from all walks of life into a tube and then think your some late night comedy act out of Las Vegas Don't be surprised if it doesn't work out for you.

Was on a SWA flight last week where the lead FA thought it was funny to hold the PA mic next to a cup while he poured water into it. Sounded like someone peeing in the toilet. Kinda clever, but with mixed results. Funniest one was male FA standing in front doing the safety demo while lip syncing the voice of the female FA in the rear actually making the announcement. Very clever and I doubt that it would have offended anyone.

michman

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:58 am

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 20):
A university in the US has stopped yoga classes,

Careful there, I think you are being culturally insensitive to Canadians. The University of Ottawa is in Canada, not the US.

PEK777

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:20 pm

Just do not fly then, so you can stay in your 'safe space', or you could sue then for the crippling emotional damage that obviously haunts you to this day. You have a problem with what they said? Lace up your boots, be a man and talk to them politely but directly. That is how we used to solve things and how the rest of the world will continue to do so - it works quite well in fact. They would probably appreciate that actually and take your concerns into consideration, rather than being offended when some suit who was not there writes them up for being insensitive and makes them attend dildo sensitivity training.

trnswrld

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:23 pm

WOW, 2015 really is the year that people are offended by EVERYTHING. So much so that the original poster had to post about something from 9 years ago!!!! How is this something that bothers you? How do you even remember this? I will continue to fly Southwest and enjoy the experience. (Shaking my head).

xdlx

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:31 pm

And Who's mind is in the gutter?

Georgetown

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:41 pm

Sounds like you voted with your wallet, and that's fine, but I can't imagine this is the first time some you've heard people suggest you might be on the far end of the sensitive spectrum. Part of what made WN what it has become is it's willingness to be non-traditional and non-conformist. Even "The Book" on them is titled "Nuts!" ( a great read btw). The point is, they have always been willing to good-naturedly ruffle the feathers of a few to endear themselves to many.
Let's go Hoyas!

UPNYGuy
Topic Author

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:20 pm

I have very thick skin, but my point was simple... the wording is VERY poor office decorum. i actually prefer FAs that deliver service with a smile, but with a minimum of showmanship.

catiii

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Quoting UPNYGuy (Reply 27):
the wording is VERY poor office decorum

Totally get it, but it's not an office. If you don't like something you heard 9 years ago, then you can continue to fly someone else.

i actually prefer FAs that deliver service with a smile, but with a minimum of showmanship.

Then you're going to hate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfFHn6DxvEg

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HWaaaFcdmQ

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N3J6fE-0JI

tavong

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:39 pm

I really don´t undserstand why the buzz is about, can some one explain me the "off-color" commentary, i´m not a native english speaker and i thinks is something somewhat funny but i really don´t get the offense.

Sorry for not knowing.

Gus
SKBO
Just put me on any modern airliner and i will be happy, give me more star alliance miles and i will be a lot happier.

ATLFlyer323

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:48 pm

I actually just flew on SWA this past weekend and immediately as we parked at the gate the FA came over the intercom and said "Ok, get out.", the whole plane laughed. I really enjoy their funny comments, makes them seem more personal in my eyes.

-ATLFlyer323
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

MaverickTTT

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:51 pm

I have very thick skin

You're still worked up about a humorous, possibly-unintentionally off-color comment made by a flight attendant nine years ago. Apparently not...

dabpit

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:03 pm

Quoting tavong (Reply 29):
I really don´t undserstand why the buzz is about, can some one explain me the "off-color" commentary, i´m not a native english speaker and i thinks is something somewhat funny but i really don´t get the offense.

Sorry for not knowing.

Means crude, vulgar, tasteless or sexual; irrelevant to the topic (from urban dictionary).

Also nothing to be sorry about especially since you know more than one language.
Carpe Diem

zrs70

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:36 pm

The problem with humorous announcements is that the joke gets old. This is especially true when the

The time time you hear it, it may sound spontaneous and funny.
The second time, you roll your eyes.
The third time, you want it to stop.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

ScottB

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:37 pm

I have very thick skin, but my point was simple... the wording is VERY poor office decorum.

Seriously, lighten up Francis. An airplane isn't an office. And you are absolutely free to vote with your dollars:

In fact, this very thing put me off of SWA until just recently, where I booked 2 flights so far for 2016. They were the best option, and less than half the cost of the alternative. Previously, I was paying royally just to avoid them.

If the slightest possibility of a PG-rated comment (and far less offensive than many programs you'd see on broadcast TV today, to boot) puts you off, you really should continue to pay more to fly other carriers. Oh, and make sure to chuck your television, radio, smartphone, and computers in the trash as well.

BravoOne

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:05 pm

Seems that the bulk if not all the responses here are from males. I guess there should not be many surprise with the comments.

[Edited 2015-11-24 10:15:23]

RIX

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:06 pm

Not sure I would boycott airline had it happen to me, but not sure either why so many here jumped in with "oversensitive", "get a life" and such. The FA comment was plain idiotic, cheap and tasteless. Might easily offend more than one woman by whatever personal reason. Agree, airplane is not an office, but not a cheap circus either, and passengers and cabin crew are there for business of safe transportation, not retarded amateurish "entertainment".

tavong

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:08 pm

Quoting dabpit (Reply 32):
Also nothing to be sorry about especially since you know more than one language.

Thank you for the kind response!

Gus
SKBO
Just put me on any modern airliner and i will be happy, give me more star alliance miles and i will be a lot happier.

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:10 pm

I personally detest it when f/a's use the PA as their entry into stand up comedy. If that remark was made it was highly unprofessional. That being said, WN encourages their crews to use humor--appropriately--to encourage passenger attention.

At my airline you stick to the written text or run the safety video. Keeps you out of the office.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

catiii

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 38):
un the safety video.

Which is the entire airline's entry into stand-up comedy  

pvjin

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:23 pm

Nothing wrong with that remark, sex isn't dirty. War on the other hand is.

http://www.nycaviation.com/2014/11/h...l-trip-washington-dc/#.VlSqvXYrKUk

Stuff like this, pushing disgusting militaristic values on people is offensive.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

afcjets

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:26 pm

Comparing someone not wanting to hear a joke on a flight with 150 random people which is more R/X rated than PG (sex toys are often found in X rated movies not PG ones) to someone who pretends to be offended or pretends to feel threatened because they want to identify with some type of victimized minority mentality is not the same thing. Do I want to hear this joke on the PA? Depends on who I am flying with or sitting next to. If it is my grandmother or some sweet old lady I am having a conversation with, I'll pass.

BravoOne

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:47 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 40):

Should have known....

B727skyguy

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Quoting atct (Reply 3):
I have no problems with Southwest or their professionalism.

Well, I have a problem with their lack of professionalism. That's why I avoid traveling with them. Take these examples all from the same flight PHX-LAS about 7 years ago:

--no anti-collision beacons on during taxi into gate at PHX
--F/A puts life vest on backward and then makes funny faces at pax during demo
--no fasten seat belt sign on during taxi out or take-off from PHX
--no fasten seat belt sign on during approach or landing in LAS

When I questioned the pilots about the seat belt sign, the F/O got a sheepish look on his face and said he hoped that I was the only one to notice.

Seven years ago, WN refused to take comments via email. They told me I had to write them a snail mail letter. I did and addressed all of my observations. Regarding the F/A and the life vest, their response was that life vests "are hard to put on." Aren't F/As trained to use safety equipment on the aircraft. I was!

The light, jovial attitude is appropriate only in the right situations. Safety is not one of them.

afcjets

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:28 pm

Quoting B727skyguy (Reply 43):
B727skyguy

Why would you need a life vest demo during a safety demo from LAS-PHX? How wide is Lake Mead? IIRC AA did not have them on S80s and why they flew so few into MIA in earlier days compared to the 727.

Revo1059

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:13 pm

I think you need to turn your sensitivity chip down a little. 9 years of paying to avoid an airline because of a mildly (at best) questionable remark? How many thousands of dollars (depending of course on how much you fly) have you spent because of a comment? If she called you some racial slur or insulted your kids then I could see maybe.....(it's still ONE individual in a huge company).

Next time write a letter. Maybe they will mail you a few drink coupons for compensation of "emotional distress".

CplKlinger

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:53 pm

You might want to check out that full article about what it's for. Honor Flights take World War 2 veterans to see the World War 2 memorials in DC, and they are usually full on charter flights. It's not "disgusting militaristic values." It's honoring our veterans, which is a decidedly different thing.

edited to make sure I didn't "offend" anyone.

[Edited 2015-11-24 13:03:18]

BravoOne

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Quoting CplKlinger (Reply 46):
German or Russian right now

Most likely fluent in Russian already....

alarch

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:24 pm

User currently onlineCplKlinger From United States of America, joined Oct 2010, 277 posts, RR: 0
Reply 46, posted Tue Nov 24 2015 12:53:07 your local time (18 minutes 16 secs ago) and read 184 times:

You might want to check out that full article about what it's for. Honor Flights take World War 2 veterans to see the World War 2 memorials in DC, and they are usually full on charter flights. It's not "disgusting militaristic values." It's honoring our veterans, which is a decidedly different thing.

edited to make sure I didn't "offend" anyone.

[Edited 2015-11-24 13:03:18]

I'm guessing that pvjin may have been trying to be facetious, at least I hope so.

pvjin

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Quoting BravoOne (Reply 47):
Most likely fluent in Russian already....

Nah, I'm not one of those paid Russian trolls if that's what you are thinking. I used to be quite neutral on the matter until EU showed its utter incompetence in handling the economic & refugee crisis. So, an enemy of my enemy is now my friend.

Quoting alarch (Reply 48):
I'm guessing that pvjin may have been trying to be facetious, at least I hope so.

Really I'm all for freedom of speech, both stuff this topic is about and the military thing should be allowed. Overly politically correct societies are quite a horrible places to live in.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos