Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA777223

RE: SWA FAs Who Make Off-color Comments

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:40 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 40):

Nothing wrong with that remark, sex isn't dirty. War on the other hand is.

http://www.nycaviation.com/2014/11/h...l-trip-washington-dc/#.VlSqvXYrKUk

Stuff like this, pushing disgusting militaristic values on people is offensive.

As a very well seasoned traveler, I understand that people in many other parts of the world do not understand the devotion of Americans to their flag, veterans or military. However, if an American airline, wants to take some American veterans on a flight within the United States to visit an American memorial, why should anyone care? How can you find that offensive? As a Finn, how does this flight affect or offend you?!

I am sooooooooooo sick of people being offended by EVERY LITTLE THING!!!! Taking a few veterans on a flight to see a war memorial is not some "disgusting, militaristic" agenda. It is at best a service to a group of people that many Americans appreciate, and at worst a PR stunt to engender some good will with their audience. Jet Blue was simply appealing to people they appreciate and catering to what is appropriate in their market.

I probably wouldn't have (know I wouldn't have) made the comment the WN FA did, but for goodness sake people. Political correctness is so out of hand, it is simply ridiculous.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

Capt.Fantastic

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:52 pm

Quoting UPNYGuy (Reply 7):
I thought it vulgar and rude. And for what it is worth, I travel roughly 30,000 miles per year on US/AA, so no small amount for a leisure traveler, so I have become accustomed to the perks of entry level elite status. However, they are starting to become meaningless when you are enrolled in Nexus

After nine years and flying many 1000's of miles, THIS is what sticks out? Good grief..
If nothing else has irked you through your travels this past decade, you must have a very selective tolerance of things

I saw nothing wrong with the comment and feel that travelers need to be more light hearted and much less up tight

alarch

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Quoting afcjets (Reply 44):

Once on a SMF to SAN flight the WN FA prefaced the part of the safety briefing about the seat being a flotation device with "as we fly across the California desert". It got a few laughs, still delivered the message, was not off color and probably had more people actually paying attention to the briefing.

CplKlinger

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:04 pm

The great thing about the airline industry is that there is that thing called choice. If you don't like WN, don't fly them. I used to like them, but now I've got my reasons that I try to stay away from them when possible. But that's my burden to bear. If you want to fly them go right on ahead. Frees up a seat elsewhere.

As for the comment itself, yeah, maybe a little off color, but nothing to get your knickers in a twist about. The Simpsons delve into much blu-er territory in some episodes than that.

catiii

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:30 pm

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 50):
As a Finn, how does this flight affect or offend you?!

Especially since his countrymen would have been speaking German if not for those WW2 vets.

But, you know how it is when you're in that 16-20 range. You know it all...

N1120A

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:56 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 11):
"As the two were trying to find seats on the crowded plane, Cundiff said over the intercom, "Eenie, meenie, minie, moe; pick a seat, we gotta go."

Sawyer and Fuller said the rhyme immediately struck them as a reference to an older, racist version in which the first line is followed by the words "catch a n——r by the toe."

That rhyme is very offensive to African-Americans, especially older ones.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

alarch

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:37 am

My favorite WN flight attendant announcement was not part of a safety briefing and only slightly off color. We had just had a very rough, bad landing and as we were taxing to the gate, the FA announced (and I'm reciting from memory):

"Ladies and gentlemen, we here at Southwest would like to apologize for that landing. However, we should note that it was not the pilot's fault, it was not the flight attendant's fault, it was not the airplane's fault, it was the asphalt."

Well, I guess it was one of those 'you had to be there' situations, but almost everyone on the plane laughed and no one was offended, especially not nine years later.

aklrno

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:41 am

When I grew up in SoCal in the 50's it was "catch a tiger by the toe." It was only a few years ago I heard the offensive version. I may have offended many people, but I would have had no idea I was being offensive. Maybe we need to give some people a pass when they only know the harmless version.

bgm

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:14 am

Quoting UPNYGuy (Thread starter):
"now ladies, when I ask to turn off all electronic devices, that means PERSONAL devices as well! I don't want to hear any buzzing or humming as we are going down the runway."

So... did you turns yours off?

The implication was obvious, and I thought it was highly unprofessional, as did many other people on the flight.

Yes, it was obvious, but did you remember to turn yours off?

n fact, this very thing put me off of SWA until just recently

Are other US carriers more vibrator-friendly?

I figured that 9 years is long enough for this to totally blow over

or buzzed over, if you want to look at it that way.
Really? Four more years of this?

PEK777

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:22 am

Quoting bgm (Reply 59):
So... did you turns yours off?

lolololol

Quoting bgm (Reply 59):
or buzzed over, if you want to look at it that way.

You are the new King of the Internet

737tanker

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 54):

I guess you didn't know that in WW2 Finland fought with Germany against Russia. So maybe AA777223 doesn't like honoring veterans that helped his country lose in WW2.

AA777223

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:04 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 57):

When I grew up in SoCal in the 50's it was "catch a tiger by the toe." It was only a few years ago I heard the offensive version. I may have offended many people, but I would have had no idea I was being offensive. Maybe we need to give some people a pass when they only know the harmless version

That's the only version I have ever known, and I'm 30. I didn't even know there was another version including the word you referenced. Again, jumping to conclusions and over sensitivity have reached insane levels.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

BN727227Ultra

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:17 pm

Dear Mister OP: You paid 25USD to join this board so you could post this? That is the definition of passive-aggressiveness. Glad you could get it off your chest.

BN727227Ultra

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:20 pm

Here's another kinda funny Southwest example...

"As the two were trying to find seats on the crowded plane, Cundiff said over the intercom, "Eenie, meenie, minie, moe; pick a seat, we gotta go."

Sawyer and Fuller said the rhyme immediately struck them as a reference to an older, racist version in which the first line is followed by the words "catch a n——r by the toe."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/trave...x.htm

I'm 54 y/o, lived in downtown St Louis throughout my grade-school life, and I never heard Eenie-Meenie recited in that version until well into my thirties. Them pesky microaggressions are everrwherr!

catiii

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:27 pm

Quoting 737tanker (Reply 60):
I guess you didn't know that in WW2 Finland fought with Germany against Russia.

And I guess you didn't know that, following the armistice, they then fought against Nazi Germany in the Lapland War.

AA777223

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Quoting 737tanker (Reply 60):
So maybe AA777223 doesn't like honoring veterans that helped his country lose in WW2.

I think you're referring to pvjin. My comments were directed to the fact that a Finn shouldn't care if Americans want to honor American veterans. I am an American, and my country didn't lose the war, ergo I have no problem honoring American veterans.

pvjin is from the country that "lost" the war, using your logic. I have no problem with any country honoring their own veterans, as I view that as an internal choice for any country and its citizens. As an American, I have no problem honoring American veterans.

I'm not trying to pedantic in correcting your post and referrence. I just want to ensure that there is no confusion on where I stand on this matter.

RIX

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 65):

pvjin is from the country that "lost" the war

You are very right using quotes, considering what Finland faced (a barbaric Soviet aggression) and what they achieved (not becoming a part of Karelo-Finnish Republic of the USSR). Now, if somebody honors those heroes, would
pvjin still be using same terminology...

TheRedBaron

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:39 pm

Quoting michman (Reply 8):
I was fairly used to the WN schtick when I heard it , so I didn't find it all that entertaining, but neither did I find it all that offensive. Someone needs to get a life.
Quoting trnswrld (Reply 24):
WOW, 2015 really is the year that people are offended by EVERYTHING.
Quoting pvjin (Reply 49):
Overly politically correct societies are quite a horrible places to live in.

Agree 100%

Let me tell you a story:

Back in 1998 or so I was in the check in from Mexicana Flight 905 LAX to MEX, I was in the "ejecutiva" line (seat 2A), I approached the agent and the other line for coach was super busy and everyone had HUGE bags and tons of luggage, it was ridiculous, so the agent leans to the other in the coach section behind the counter and says : These "Beaners" brought everything but the kitchen sink... All three of us laughed, then she greeted me and I answered her in English, and she asked me for my ticket and Passport, she got it and saw I was Mexican, she blushed and proceeded to apologize, I interrupted her and said: "Look, I know derogatory remarks are not funny, but heck you are right!, I wonder if the flight will take off with all that crap" she was relieved, gave me my boarding and kept apologizing, I said, don't worry, I bet she got her lesson better than me getting angry and feeling offended, or complaining. To this day I still chuckle when I remember the way she said it...

I really prefer crews that seem to be in a joyful mode and seem happy than crews that seem to be working the graveyard shift.

The best and most entertaining crew I have ever had is form UA (go figure!)

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

OA412

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 61):
Quoting BN727227Ultra (Reply 62):

Are you all white? That's probably why you didn't know about the racist version of the rhyme. Most Black people, especially those in older demographics, probably grew up hearing about it, because they or their parents/grandparents experienced it first-hand. So their experience with the rhyme would absolutely be different from your own experiences with it.

I also note that two of you mentioned "over-sensitivity" and "microagressions." I also note that you're both male, and likely white. If that's correct, you are the only demographic in this country that has never, ever faced any sort of institutionalized racism or discrimination. It's easy to call others "over-sensitive" or to diminish the idea of microagressions when you occupy a position of power. It's also incredibly insulting. You don't know what the experiences of minorities are, because you are not one. I know straight, white men don't want to hear this, but it's time for you all to step aside and stop trying to direct the conversation on minorities, because you just don't get it.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

BoeingGuy

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Quoting UPNYGuy (Reply 7):
Quoting SXDFC (Reply 7):
You're kidding me right? You thought of this as unprofessional?

Yes I did. I thought it vulgar and rude.

Maybe you should lighten up and not let every little thing offend you. I thought the joke was kind of funny actually.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 55):

That rhyme is very offensive to African-Americans, especially older ones.

That rhyme has other versions too. While I'm well aware of the version you state (I heard it on the 2nd grade playground in the 1970s unfortunately) there is another version that uses, "catch the tiger by the toe."

N1120A

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:21 pm

When I grew up in SoCal in the 50's it was "catch a tiger by the toe." It was only a few years ago I heard the offensive version. I may have offended many people, but I would have had no idea I was being offensive. Maybe we need to give some people a pass when they only know the harmless version.
That's the only version I have ever known, and I'm 30. I didn't even know there was another version including the word you referenced. Again, jumping to conclusions and over sensitivity have reached insane levels.
Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 69):
That rhyme has other versions too. While I'm well aware of the version you state (I heard it on the 2nd grade playground in the 1970s unfortunately) there is another version that uses, "catch the tiger by the toe."

The "other" version was created to veil the original version. It is not acceptable.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

dabpit

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:25 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 40):

Nothing wrong with that remark, sex isn't dirty. War on the other hand is.

http://www.nycaviation.com/2014/11/h...l-trip-washington-dc/#.VlSqvXYrKUk

Stuff like this, pushing disgusting militaristic values on people is offensive.

Seriously? Take a moment and educate yourself on the culture in the United States regarding our veterans.

I should note that a number of countries in Europe require citizens to serve in the military were as in the US it is voluntary.

As for the main topic, people are over sensitive and offended by every little thing anymore. If that has been bugging you for 9 years then you must not have a whole lot going on to be thinking about that still.
Carpe Diem

BoeingGuy

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:29 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 70):
Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 69):

The "other" version was created to veil the original version. It is not acceptable.

Actually I agree with AA777223, the level of over sensitivity and PC about every little thing has reached insane levels. People really need to get a life sometimes. The OP started a long thread over a harmless joke that a WN F/A once made. I would have laughed about it and then moved on with my life.

I don't know that origin of that "catch by the toe" rhyme. I do know it comes in several different versions. I would not assume that a child saying it means the offensive version, or even has any idea it ever existed. Nor, when I said the "tiger" version as a child did I mean any reference whatsoever to the other version or intend any racist references. I assume others don't either.

There was also another "slang name" for Bear Claw pastries too which used a few of the same words as the inappropriate version of that rhyme. Someone of an older generation once told me about that unfortunate reference from older days. Does that mean now anytime you buy a Bear Claw at the bakery, you are being racist? Of course not.

[Edited 2015-11-25 10:32:31]

[Edited 2015-11-25 10:33:08]

UALWN

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 68):
It's easy to call others "over-sensitive" or to diminish the idea of microagressions when you occupy a position of power. It's also incredibly insulting. You don't know what the experiences of minorities are, because you are not one. I know straight, white men don't want to hear this, but it's time for you all to step aside and stop trying to direct the conversation on minorities, because you just don't get it.

Spot on.
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/350/380

PEK777

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:58 pm

It's also incredibly insulting. You don't know what the experiences of minorities are, because you are not one. I know straight, white men don't want to hear this, but it's time for you all to step aside and stop trying to direct the conversation on minorities, because you just don't get it.

So you just assumed everyone on this board is a straight white male - I guarantee this is not the case. You are first level hypocrite, as most people of your political leaning area.

raddek

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:09 pm

July of 2006 I was flying SWA from ALB-MDW-STL. When we were departing ALB, the FA made a comment during her safety briefing that was something like this...

"now ladies, when I ask to turn off all electronic devices, that means PERSONAL devices as well! I don't want to hear any buzzing or humming as we are going down the runway."

If you wanted to post something just for others to bash you, then congrats on that. If you didn't like it 9 years ago because an F/A was trying to have a little sense of humor, then guess what? They still have humor in some of their announcements.

Plus, most of the passengers feel like the rules dont apply to them and fail to listen to what the F/A has to say. And the majority of people are guilty of that. It may have just been a frustrating crowd of people on that particular flight too. I am sure a F/A only has soo much patience when it comes to dealing with passengers like you.

Maybe you had your pager out with you cell phone and laptop on with your head phones on? You may have been the problem and yet you get offended because someone told you to put your toys away that you can't live without? Hah!

Go flya legacy and waste the extra money next time so that they can kiss your butt in first class  

seabosdca

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Not everyone may know. My grandmother taught me the "tiger" version at age three. I didn't know about the original until I was in high school and it was brought up in class as an example of racism. Don't assume malice when ignorance is a realistic possibility.

AA777223

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Are you all white? That's probably why you didn't know about the racist version of the rhyme. Most Black people, especially those in older demographics, probably grew up hearing about it, because they or their parents/grandparents experienced it first-hand. So their experience with the rhyme would absolutely be different from your own experiences with it.

I also note that two of you mentioned "over-sensitivity" and "microagressions." I also note that you're both male, and likely white. If that's correct, you are the only demographic in this country that has never, ever faced any sort of institutionalized racism or discrimination. It's easy to call others "over-sensitive" or to diminish the idea of microagressions when you occupy a position of power. It's also incredibly insulting. You don't know what the experiences of minorities are, because you are not one. I know straight, white men don't want to hear this, but it's time for you all to step aside and stop trying to direct the conversation on minorities, because you just don't get it.

Some people would say the fact that a 30 year old has never heard the version that we can all agree is totally unacceptable is a sign of major progress. In some cruel twist of irony, are you guys expecting me to apologize that I don't know the racist version? Are you OFFENDED that I do not know yet another way to offend you?!

For God's sake! Some people would turn your argument on its head, and say some people just can't win, no matter how hard they try not to offend someone, just because you automatically assume they are from some over entitled group by their sex or color of their skin. I find your assumptions and generalizations the height of hypocrisy, especially on an issue such as this.

Now THIS is really pissing me off and OFFENDING me! I, however, am not going to take the same road that so many in the oversensitive world have. I am not going to try to outlaw your views. I am not going to try to write a letter to my congressman. I am not going to report your comments or try to have you banned from this forum. I'm gonna put on my f***ing big boy pants and move on with my life. I suggest the rest of the world grow a skin slightly thicker than a boiled potato and do the same!

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 72):
Actually I agree with AA777223, the level of over sensitivity and PC about every little thing has reached insane levels. People really need to get a life sometimes.

Thank you!!

Quoting PEK777 (Reply 74):
So you just assumed everyone on this board is a straight white male - I guarantee this is not the case. You are first level hypocrite, as most people of your political leaning area.

THIS!

[Edited 2015-11-25 11:26:56]

BN727227Ultra

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:23 pm

Quoting BN727227Ultra (Reply 62):

Re-read my post. DOWNTOWN Saint Louis. I identify as native American, for what that's worth and what it isn't. If you lived in tha STL in the late sixties, there were two types of white children: Those who were racist, and those who had it beaten out of them previous.

In American society, you don't have the right to not be insulted. And I don't care about your feelings, impressions, triggers, microaggressions, etc., which is also my right. For my part, I'd be happy to see you not insert your cut-n-paste talking-point riffs into this conversation, but I paid my 25USD for the opportunity to be mildly miffed--as did you.

rugger

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:33 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 72):
Actually I agree with AA777223, the level of over sensitivity and PC about every little thing has reached insane levels. People really need to get a life sometimes.

I've been saying this for a long time. One of the first lessons you learn is "You can't please everybody all of the time." Well, PC tries to do exactly that. Remember it was around the time of the Clinton administration that PC made its appearance known and was encouraged. If Hillary wins the presidency, folks you haven't seen anything yet when it comes to PC usage.

rlwynn

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:45 pm

When I grew up in SoCal in the 50's it was "catch a tiger by the toe."

I grew up in SoCal in the 70's and it was also tiger. Except for the kids of the family across the street from Arkansas.
I can drive faster than you

UPNYGuy
Topic Author

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:20 am

Quoting raddek (Reply 75):
Go flya legacy and waste the extra money next time so that they can kiss your butt in first class

I typically DO fly in the front cabin, thank you for figuring that part out! Damn...this thread really brought out the intelligent bunch!

TheRedBaron

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:32 am

Somehow this thread went from a weird comment by a FA, to the validity and right to be offended or not, with racism included...time to hit the train to locksville...

nothing to do with airplanes. IMHO

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

catiii

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:13 am

Quoting UPNYGuy (Reply 81):
I typically DO fly in the front cabin, thank you for figuring that part out! Damn...this thread really brought out the intelligent bunch!

Actually it did. Most intelligent people do not generalize about a company based on one experience nor hold grudges for 9 years. So go back to flying in "the front cabin," but I'm betting you will not, and rarely did, based on how price conscious you suddenly are:

In fact, this very thing put me off of SWA until just recently, where I booked 2 flights so far for 2016. They were the best option, and less than half the cost of the alternative. Previously, I was paying royally just to avoid them. I figured that 9 years is long enough for this to totally blow over (hence the post did not happen directly after the flight).

AY104

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:19 am

Man, talk about being oversensitive. Just an innocent comment, with a bit of humor intended. Much as a teacher would talk to a
classroom full of students. The sad thing is, that the students are probably better behave and have more respect for the
teacher than passengers do for the airline and crew.

I would strongly suggest that anyone who is offended by that comment has a problem, and not the airline or flight crew.
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

thekorean

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:27 am

Doesn't sound like there was any intend for rudeness there.

AirlineCritic

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:52 am

SWA is a lovely, funny airline. I like flying with them. And part of the charm is that they are not so stuffy and boring as other airlines. All the power to them.

That being said, I understand that if you make a lot of jokes, sometimes you will fail, upset somebody, or just end up repeating yourself or not making very good jokes. It happens. One should avoid insulting people. Although I don't think the OP's example was insulting.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 13):
I hear OZ has an opening for a nut inspector ...

Should that be the nut nut inspector?

:D

b727fa

Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:13 am

In a professional setting I generally consider anything torso (or attached thereto) to be best left unsaid. Tack you? Yeah--but worth false disgust this many years later? Prob not so much. Then again, we are nearing Festivus and the Airing of the Grievances...and it IS 2015: the Year all Americans are Offended.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

exFWAOONW

Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:59 am

It's getting to the point where some people wake up and decide to be offended by something. That is their (misguided) right, but telling me to stop is not their right. PC is trying to tell me what (not) to say and is wrong. Contrary to what is preached on college campi you do not have a right to never be offended.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

UPNYGuy
Topic Author

Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:08 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 83):
Actually it did. Most intelligent people do not generalize about a company based on one experience nor hold grudges for 9 years. So go back to flying in "the front cabin," but I'm betting you will not, and rarely did, based on how price conscious you suddenly are:

Not at all bothered by the price to travel in the front cabin. The only reason why these 2 segments were booked on SWA was the simple fact of availability, and that I am not going to arrive at an inconvenient time simply to have better accommodation (nonstop out of ALB). The fact that the fare is half the cost is simply gravy for me. But none of you personally know me, so who is making the generalization now   Considering I carry a Nexus card, I do more than a fair share of domestic and international travel  

[Edited 2015-11-26 19:09:34]

[Edited 2015-11-26 19:11:56]

UPNYGuy
Topic Author

Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:19 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 83):

and the option I cited was a routine flight I take between ALB-TPA. I pay roughly $850 for that routing on US/AA in F. on SWA it is $400 for a nonstop at a much more convenient time   I'll take the n/s in cattle class if the service holds up due to how frequently I take that route.

afcjets

Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:31 am

You should have written a letter to SW back then, as a nice gesture they probably would have sent you some replacement batteries. The same culture you experienced on your flight exists in their offices too.  

ridgid727

Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:38 am

Quoting UPNYGuy (Reply 89):
Considering I carry a Nexus card, I do more than a fair share of domestic and international travel

Does your $50 Nexus Card give you privilege, other than trans-border US-Canada ease?

catiii

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:08 am

so who is making the generalization now

It wasn't a generalization, it was a fairly specific statement.

Considering I carry a Nexus card, I do more than a fair share of domestic and international travel  

A NEXUS card! You world traveler you. A whole two countries!

UPNYGuy
Topic Author

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:24 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 93):
A NEXUS card! You world traveler you. A whole two countries!

actually it is worldwide, and includes GlobalEntry. So before you make generalizations about me, which you ARE doing, please actually research the topic you are talking about   It makes for a far more intelligent conversation. So yes, I do travel the globe, but the vast bulk of my airtime is domestic.

[Edited 2015-11-26 20:26:04]

UPNYGuy
Topic Author

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:31 am

Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 92):
Does your $50 Nexus Card give you privilege, other than trans-border US-Canada ease?

Yes it does:

it includes TSA Pre, GlobalEntry, and access to the NEXUS Lanes at the major hub airports in CA, It makes life MUCH easier when flying AC our of BOS or BDL and connecting at YYZ. Instead of sitting in the pre clear room, you walk up to the NEXUS kiosk and breeze right on through (provided you don't have anything to declare).

And the HUGE bonus is that NEXUS patrons can use the GlobalEntry kiosks, but the reverse is not true. So yes, the nexus pass is really worth it.

I really don't even use it for trans-boarder car hops (although I can). It is primarily a convenience when I fly.

jeffrito

Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:08 pm

I went to high school in Dallas in the late 70's and flew SW frequently to Austin, New Orleans, etc. With the lack of security, etc., it was really like riding the bus for us.

But it was FUN. There was a bit of a naughty culture with the f/a uniforms & joking (like you experienced). Combined with the drunk businessmen & backward facing seat, SW probably preserved the "Mad Men" / "Metro North bar car" era longer than any other airline.

This kind of humor seems pretty harmless to me. I can see rolling the eyes, but to actually take offense?

zippy

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:14 pm

Quoting jeffrito (Reply 96):
went to high school in Dallas in the late 70's and flew SW frequently to Austin, New Orleans, etc. With the lack of security, etc., it was really like riding the bus for us.

But it was FUN. There was a bit of a naughty culture with the f/a uniforms & joking (like you experienced). Combined with the drunk businessmen & backward facing seat, SW probably preserved the "Mad Men" / "Metro North bar car" era longer than any other airline.

This kind of humor seems pretty harmless to me. I can see rolling the eyes, but to actually take offense?

It's that casual west coast culture. Remember PS, the hot pants, and the big smile on the nose? As far a Mad Men culture, I think VX is carrying that torch quite well. Hip, stylish, and geez they definitely keep the hooch flowing.

I flew a short hop on WN a month ago (OAK-BUR) and I was actually surprised how casual the flight attendants were. Not young and hip like VX... more like Al Bundy, sitting on your sofa, hands in your pants, waxing nostalgic about making four touchdowns in a game kinda casual. It was completely unexpected and not my cup of tea, but wasn't offensive. Southwest has, to the best of my recollection, never marketed themselves as a prim and proper airline. If that's not the kind of culture you want, fly a different airline.

IDK, I guess jokes about sex toys could be pretty harmful given that some of us are the result of immaculate conception.

catiii

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:59 pm

Quoting UPNYGuy (Reply 94):

Actually, NEXUS is designed to expedite travel between Canada and the U.S., but you knew that right? If I was trying to establish my bona fides as am regular international traveler that wouldn't have been what I would have pointed to. I would have talked about my Global Entry, etc. And since you're the OP who started a thread about a one off 9 year-old experience, and then generalized about the intelligence of the posters on the thread, you're hardly the arbiter or judge of what constitutes intelligent discourse on the thread  

[Edited 2015-11-27 15:05:26]

26point2

Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:27 am

Still not clear to me... can my vibrator be on during take off/ landing?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos