jfrworld
Topic Author

Plastic Glassware In F In On US Carriers

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:55 am

On US carriers, specifically in international business or first class, why is the pre-boarding beverage (e.g. champagne) served in plastic.

I've flown LX, LH, BA and pre-departure beverage for J class and above is always glassware (and very well should be). On UA or AA in business, you get your pre-departure beverage in a plastic cup. Even in UA global first, pre-departure bubbles was in plastic (I was told was a cheaper version of champagne that would be provided during ain service).

I once read somewhere that this was by FAA regulation, but when I flew AA flagship F DFW-LHR in Aug this year, my champagne was served in glass, but I could see business still in that stupid plastic cup.

With all of the upgrades AA, UA have been trying to make to the business class experience, why not this one? I omitted Delta as I have not flown DeltaOne.

I'm sure someone will ask, "Why do I care?". I care because 1) I've never received a definitive answer as to whether this was by regulation or not 2) it cheapens the experience of business class 3) appears to only apply to US carriers 4) if each carrier is spending millions $$ of new advance seating, better catering, better experience, etc, etc, why not just eliminate the plastic all together?

[Edited 2015-11-24 22:01:11]

hongkongflyer

RE: Plastic Glassware In F In On US Carriers

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:16 am

They need to collect and count to make sure every single glassware has been collected before the plane can takeoff.
No such requirement for plastic cups.

Coal

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:16 am

Cue in Team Resentment telling you that you are an entitled brat and that you should be happy the give you any drink, let alone in a cup!

Quoting jfrworld (Thread starter):
Plastic Glassware

Can it be called glassware if it's plastic?   
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

HAWKXP

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:37 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 2):

Does it really make a difference if you have 5 minutes to chug booze to get a buzz on?

b727fa

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:51 am

On DeltaOne International (and select Transcontinental) you will receive your pre-departure beverage in real glassware. On Domestic First it will be in plastic, though your in-flight beverages will be in glass. However, there is no "counting" of glass v/s plastic as all *airline provided* items must be collected OR stowed prior to push-back.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

Spiderguy252

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:56 am

US carriers are hardly known for stellar service - be it hard or soft products, that alone should answer your question.

The likes of BA and LH, much less the Gulf carriers are all in another league a couple of zipcodes away.
Vahroone

RWA380

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:58 am

Quoting HAWKXP (Reply 3):
Does it really make a difference if you have 5 minutes to chug booze to get a buzz on

Save time with doing instant margaritas for everyone on board, no messy cups to recover.  
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

csturdiv

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:17 am

Oh the horror, plasticware like the *gasp* common folk in the back of the plane!
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

jfrworld
Topic Author

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:22 am

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 7):
Oh the horror, plasticware like the *gasp* common folk in the back of the plane!

Someone can't ask an honest question about rationale behind service standards, I guess.

cedarjet

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:23 am

The plastic cups of champagne on US carriers is incredibly crap. It does match the incredibly hostile service (and those awful orthopaedic shoes!!) though. I'll fly US carriers long haul in economy because they're super safe and generally very reliable, but their premium cabins aren't worth an extra $100, certainly not for the soft product.

(I did quite a few trips a few years ago on AA in F on my friend's staff travel and definitely had some fantastic crossings; I guess I'm really thinking about UA. But no US operator touches BA LH SK KL etc, let alone CX SQ JL NH TG. But why not? USA revolves around service culture.)
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

RIX

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Quoting Spiderguy252 (Reply 5):
US carriers are hardly known for stellar service... The likes of BA and LH, much less the Gulf carriers are all in another league

That would be very true - some 10-12 years ago. That time has long gone. Yet some myths/stereotypes are incredibly persistent and being repeated again and again without any facts to support them. Unless likes of plastic cup is what you call "another league".

b727fa

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:35 pm

Jfrworld and cedarjet, feel free to re-read Reply 4. You CAN ask a question and have it answered and cedar, I don't know how you're missing the glassware on pre-departure I mentioned. Perhaps you've never experienced the DeltaOne product?

Additionally you do know both cabins are "super safe and generally quite reliable," right? They are attached. (Wink). I find it amusing that you'd rather sit in Y on long-haul than to be subjected to the inhumane and vile conditions on the other side of the Curtain of Glory. Methinks you're trying too hard to make a point at isn't a point.

Cheers.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

bgm

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Serving it in a plastic cup sets the tone for what passengers can expect for the rest of the flight. The FAs are there for your SAFETY, and any expectation of service must be immediately quashed.

Sit down, shut up, and don't bother the FAs. They have an important crossword puzzle to finish.
OK boomer.

Stitch

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:10 pm

On US carriers, specifically in international business or first class, why is the pre-boarding beverage (e.g. champagne) served in plastic.

As it has been explained to me by FAs, it makes it quicker for the cabin crew to serve the drinks and because they can just toss them into the trash rather than store them, the FAs can wait longer before collecting the cups to allow passengers more time to consume the beverage.

I've also witnessed the person handling the drinks carry out or assist with other pre-depature tasks so again, the quicker service aspect gives them the time to do everything.

YYZFAN

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:22 pm

All four of my recent AA flights in J (cross-border and international) I was served the pre-departure beverage in plastic. I noticed, but it didn't bother me. Interesting notes about it is about glass needing to be counted, as opposed to just tossing the plastic.

It is a valid question, as the rest of the service is with glass. Everyone on here griping about US service standards need to give it a rest. Everyone gets a few bad crews, and by far my worst ever crew was a QR flight I took recently as well (o look, an ME3 did something wrong), so maybe I should condemn them as some have condemned US carriers?

ScottB

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 13):
As it has been explained to me by FAs, it makes it quicker for the cabin crew to serve the drinks and because they can just toss them into the trash rather than store them, the FAs can wait longer before collecting the cups to allow passengers more time to consume the beverage.

I expect there is a cost angle to it as well, given that additional glassware would be needed for the pre-departure drinks for the F cabin (the FAs can't exactly refill glasses they've collected for take-off and there are no dishwashing facilities).

airbazar

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:23 pm

Americans are addicted to disposable anything. It's so common in all walks of life no one even cares. Garbage is free here or nearly free.

Stitch

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:29 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 15):
I expect there is a cost angle to it as well, given that additional glassware would be needed for the pre-departure drinks for the F cabin (the FAs can't exactly refill glasses they've collected for take-off and there are no dishwashing facilities).

True, but considering how much they need to load anyway for the entire flight, an extra dozen to score to handle the pre-departure service doesn't strike me as a deal-breaker. Especially if DeltaOne does it. And I seem to recall international services in UA (Global) First served me pre-departure in glassware, as well. I did get plastic in Business on UA and GF on domestic legs (like IAD-DEN or SEA-ORD).

USAir used to do plastic cups in First for the entire flight, so that clearly was a cost-reduction measure. I believe this is a time-reduction measure.

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 9):
. I'll fly US carriers long haul in economy because they're super safe and generally very reliable, but their premium cabins aren't worth an extra $100, certainly not for the soft product.

I agree the soft product is nothing to write home about, but then neither is it on domestic European Business Class. I find it worth the extra $100 for the hard product and the airside convenience (check-in, security screening, lounge access [with AS]).

[Edited 2015-11-25 08:33:05]

caoimhin

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:36 pm

#firstclassproblems

(I did quite a few trips a few years ago on AA in F on my friend's staff travel and definitely had some fantastic crossings; I guess I'm really thinking about UA. But no US operator touches BA LH SK KL etc, let alone CX SQ JL NH TG. But why not? USA revolves around service culture.)

It's been a long time since I've flown AA long haul, but I'll be flying transcon on an AA A321 when I return to the US for Christmas. I get the impression that this company has invested a lot of time and energy into rebranding itself, both through aesthetics (livery, new crew uniforms [what happened with those, anyway?]), and through service offerings. I would hope that the US3 are not deaf to this, the chief complaint about their product. I could be wrong, but I have to imagine that boards of directors for these companies know that they are competing with highly service-oriented airlines in the ME3 and far east.

I have flown BA exclusively for TATL during past ten years. They do many things well, and fly the 787 on a route I frequent out of PHL, which is a nice bonus. But, I'm not ready to say that they are the pinnacle of service, or for that matter that they are leagues ahead of the US3 in cabin crew. Setting aside the usual sexist remarks I hear about cabin crew being too old or too unattractive, BA cabin crew are attentive to what I would consider to be the minimum required for good service. Consistently. Nothing more, nothing less. The US3 would have to be exceptionally bad to say that BA is a significantly better product.

You raise a good point about the usual emphasis by American companies on service. Can't figure that one out, and I'm not willing to incur the wrath of over 9000 people by suggesting that the psychology of US labor union membership has something to do with it.

jetwet1

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Quoting Spiderguy252 (Reply 5):
US carriers are hardly known for stellar service - be it hard or soft products, that alone should answer your question.

The likes of BA and LH, much less the Gulf carriers are all in another league a couple of zipcodes away.
Quoting RIX (Reply 10):
That would be very true - some 10-12 years ago. That time has long gone. Yet some myths/stereotypes are incredibly persistent and being repeated again and again without any facts to support them. Unless likes of plastic cup is what you call "another league".

Exactly, sadly the likes of BA/LH have gone down hill IMHO, while the US carriers (well DL and AA) have improved leaps and bounds.

I will put any US carriers domestic first class product up against BA's Club Europe product every day and IMHO DL and AA's international (on the 77W) J product beats BA's Club World (with maybe the exception of upstairs on the 744's ) hands down.

I flew just over 100 legs last year in DL first, I can honestly say I didn't have a single bad flight, nothing super amazing either, though after 3-4 months of flying the same route twice a month the crews did get to know me and I would get my diet coke as soon as I sat down which was nice. Yes it was in a plastic cup, did I care, not really, but if it saves them a few cents so I can enjoy a 38 inch seat pitch (which i paid for, no upgrades) over the 30 inch pitch that BA calls a first class product, i will take it every time.

roseflyer

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Quoting hongkongflyer (Reply 1):
They need to collect and count to make sure every single glassware has been collected before the plane can takeoff. No such requirement for plastic cups.

In the United States, glasses need to be collected before pushback, not takeoff.

FAA CFR 125.333(c) states that No certificate holder may permit an airplane to move on the surface, take off, or land unless each passenger serving cart is secured in its stowed position.

Galley carts cannot be opened when the airplane is moving. When glasses are used, they need to be restowed in the carts before the airplane can move at all. This takes time and also forces the beverages to be collected earlier. If the airline uses plastic, these can be discarded quickly even if the airplane is moving.

Quoting airbazar (Reply 16):
Americans are addicted to disposable anything. It's so common in all walks of life no one even cares. Garbage is free here or nearly free.

Are you joking? That is not the reason at all.

Why are people making up random stuff and bashing service? It isn't based in fact or actual observation.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

afcjets

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:45 pm

IIRC immediately after 9/11 glassware was completely banned from US flights since it could be used as a weapon. I am not certain but this may have applied to silverware too, where it had to be plastic.

Scooter

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Hawaiian Airlines (a US airline) serves first class pre-departure drinks in real glassware to and from the mainland. Not sure about inter-island flights though.
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing obnoxiously-detailed trip reports.

RIX

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:52 pm

BTW, of what I remember, glass was always collected before pushback - or, absolutely, takeoff, - while plastic could "stay with you" even after that. That is, with glass, you may have to be pretty quick, while with plastic you indeed don't care.

Stitch

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:26 pm

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 20):
Galley carts cannot be opened when the airplane is moving.

I am effectively 100% confident I have seen cabin crew open and close them during taxi to the departure runway, though the movement was momentary (seconds).

Quoting afcjets (Reply 21):
IIRC immediately after 9/11 glassware was completely banned from US flights since it could be used as a weapon. I am not certain but this may have applied to silverware too, where it had to be plastic.

Yes, but those regulations were rescinded some time ago so they no longer have any influence on current operational policy with US carriers.

RIX

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:37 pm

And there was not much reason behind it - I mean, plastic forks and knives and even spoons. The metal ones were designed "flight safe", to avoid injury during turbulence, ... They were never sharp in any point. While plastic item can be easily broken to have a sharp end. Plastic cup vs glass is a different thing.

DELTA777

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:39 pm

I can speak for my airline: using plastic during boarding allows the Inflight Crewmembers to deliver and clear service wear faster. Plastic cups are stackable and recyclable allowing Customers to have more time to finish their drinks. Otherwise, we would have to collect glasswear earlier. Also, you would be surprised by the amount of people who bump their drinks on accident or hide the cups so they can drink during takeoff. Using plastic is less dangerous as it won't shatter.

PA110

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:15 pm

And yet foreign carriers have no problem serving pre-flight drink in glassware.

Quoting DELTA777 (Reply 26):
I can speak for my airline: using plastic during boarding allows the Inflight Crewmembers to deliver and clear service wear faster. Plastic cups are stackable and recyclable allowing Customers to have more time to finish their drinks. Otherwise, we would have to collect glasswear earlier. Also, you would be surprised by the amount of people who bump their drinks on accident or hide the cups so they can drink during takeoff. Using plastic is less dangerous as it won't shatter.

Again, the likes of BA, LH, KL, AF manage to serve drinks in glass. It's simply not that difficult or time consuming. Glassware goes in to racks. You simply collect on a tray and transfer to a rack. It takes all of 15-20 seconds longer.

I suspect the real reason is that they don't have to carry as many glasses on board. I miss the old days of flying AR 747-200s in F with the stand up bar that held all the glassware. They had separate cordial, wine, water & champagne glasses, all neatly stored in the bar. Going even further back, SN had a lounge on the upper deck of their 747-100s that had a bar where glasses of all shapes and sizes were stored. They even had a wood display box with cigarettes for guests.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

global1

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:48 pm

You will never be served a beverage in a plastic glass, either on the ground or in the air, on DeltaOne. Period.

You will be offered a full bar service on the ground in domestic first class using a plastic glass.

As far as I know, ClubEurope and the like don't offer a bar service on the ground at all.

No offense, but I get the sense that sometimes those who make blanket statements like "European carriers service is far above that offered by the U.S. Carriers" are rather pompous and have probably not (if ever) flown J class in recent history.

I'll stack DeltaOne or main cabin service against the offering of our European competitors any day.

airbazar

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:14 pm

Less costly and more efficient.

Are you joking? That is not the reason at all.

No I'm not joking. As you yourself pointed out, it's more efficient and since just tossing into the trash doesn't really cost more, it's what it is done. Now compare that with Europe where you pay a lot for garbage disposal and you get fined for not recycling and the cost/benefit equation changes significantly. Go into any shopping mall food court in Europe and you'll get your food on a real plate, glass, and silverware. Why? Because it's cheaper to wash and reuse than it is to toss in the garbage. It's all about the cost-benefit equation.

DocLightning

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:30 pm

Oh yes, those horrid F-class passengers expecting to get the premium experience they paid for...

Admittedly, the last time I flew F domestic (I think it was UA in 2009), they served me a choice of OJ or champagne in a glass.

Quoting HAWKXP (Reply 3):
Does it really make a difference if you have 5 minutes to chug booze to get a buzz on?

For a widebody doing a transoceanic route, expect 20-30 minutes of boarding. If F boards first, they have a lot of time to enjoy their pre-departure drink.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

caoimhin

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 29):
Go into any shopping mall food court in Europe and you'll get your food on a real plate, glass, and silverware.

False. Just left the McDonalds at Dundrum Shopping Centre, where my Big Mac was *not* served on a plate, and my Sprite not in a glass.  

rugger

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Let's see.. if deleting an olive from a martini save you X dollars in fuel savings for an airplane each year......

If you can save fuel by making the liquor mini bottles out of plastic....

Just think what the savings are using plastic ware!

Sorry, to an airline fuel savings is higher on the list than "your experience" onboard is.

DTWPurserBoy

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:40 pm

The plastic cups of champagne on US carriers is incredibly crap. It does match the incredibly hostile service (and those awful orthopaedic shoes!!) though. I'll fly US carriers long haul in economy because they're super safe and generally very reliable, but their premium cabins aren't worth an extra $100, certainly not for the soft product.

For starters, it is not champagne. It is a sparkling white wine. The French are very adamant that the term "champagne" be restricted only to those products produced in the Champagne region of France.

Now about the snarky "orthopedic shoe" comment. You try standing on your feet for as many hours a day as we do. Many flight attendants have serious foot problems as a result and any variance from the shoe regulations requires a physician's order. Did you know that we have just in the last month been covered by OSHA? We were specifically excluded from the occupational safety and health protections of every other American worker. One of the few productive things this congress did was to rectify this with a new law. And by the way....why are you looking at other people's feet?

Quoting airbazar (Reply 29):
No I'm not joking. As you yourself pointed out, it's more efficient and since just tossing into the trash doesn't really cost more, it's what it is done.

Actually, we do our best to recycle. Any product that can be recycled is and the money is donated to local charities in the cities we serve. That amounts to a lot of money every year. Trash for cash. For years f/a's have snapped the opening can tab on soda cans as they are pure aluminum (the rest of the can is an alloy) and we turn tons of them in every year to pay for children's dialysis. There is always a cup around the galley collecting them and when we have a few extra minutes we snap them off the used cans and turn them in. This has been done (to the best of my knowledge) since they did away with the pull-tab openers in the late 70's or early 80's.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

AABB777

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:10 pm

Quoting hongkongflyer (Reply 1):

In the United States, glasses need to be collected before pushback, not takeoff.

FAA CFR 125.333(c) states that No certificate holder may permit an airplane to move on the surface, take off, or land unless each passenger serving cart is secured in its stowed position.

Galley carts cannot be opened when the airplane is moving. When glasses are used, they need to be restowed in the carts before the airplane can move at all. This takes time and also forces the beverages to be collected earlier. If the airline uses plastic, these can be discarded quickly even if the airplane is moving.

Does this apply to foreign flag carriers who operate flights ex USA? I have been on many airlines, such as QR, where full size stem champagne glasses were used for the pre-departure drink and were not collected by the crew until just before takeoff.

United1

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 34):
Does this apply to foreign flag carriers who operate flights ex USA? I have been on many airlines, such as QR, where full size stem champagne glasses were used for the pre-departure drink and were not collected by the crew until just before takeoff.

No only US airlines...which is why you won't see glassware in a cabin post push back.

Quoting global1 (Reply 28):
You will never be served a beverage in a plastic glass, either on the ground or in the air, on DeltaOne. Period.

...and I am sure that DL is collecting any pre departure beverage prior to push back in order to stay in compliance with FAA regs.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

global1

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 pm

Glass vs plastic is not the issue. All service items, be they glassware or plastic, must be collected prior to pushback and galleys secured.

After which, all crew members are to be straped into their jumpseats, and conducting a silent 'mental review' of emergency procedures, as I'm sure they are 100% of the time at both UA and DL.

[Edited 2015-11-25 13:39:51]

N1120A

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Safety regulations that are actually quite legitimate.

Exactly. Not to mention it uses up clean glasses that can otherwise be used inflight.

I don't believe that is true. Metal cutlery was.

Quoting PA110 (Reply 27):

Different priorities.

Quoting global1 (Reply 28):
I'll stack DeltaOne or main cabin service against the offering of our European competitors any day.

LOL. I wouldn't.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

wzafar

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:02 pm

Is there a real answer to this question? Is it for safety? How come other carriers flying to USA are able to do it?

N1120A

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:11 pm

Quoting wzafar (Reply 38):
Is there a real answer to this question? Is it for safety? How come other carriers flying to USA are able to do it?

It is for safety. Other carriers, if they are doing their jobs correctly, are collecting the glassware and stowing it in a timely manner. Remember that long haul widebodies generally have longer boarding times, for various reasons, and also take a bit longer to load with bags and cargo. That allows more time for a drink service.

Viscount724

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:42 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 15):

Storage space is also limited. Galleys on many current aircraft are smaller than they used to be to make room for more seats. Glassware has to be restowed individually in racks. Plastic can be stacked and takes up much less space.

afcjets

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:52 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 24):
Quoting afcjets (Reply 21):IIRC immediately after 9/11 glassware was completely banned from US flights since it could be used as a weapon. I am not certain but this may have applied to silverware too, where it had to be plastic.
Yes, but those regulations were rescinded some time ago so they no longer have any influence on current operational policy with US carriers.

I thought it was obvious it ended since the OP only mentions plastic being used for pre-boarding drinks.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
Quoting afcjets (Reply 21):IIRC immediately after 9/11 glassware was completely banned from US flights since it could be used as a weapon. I am not certain but this may have applied to silverware too, where it had to be plastic.

I don't believe that is true. Metal cutlery was.

I flew on 9/14 the day after flights resumed in F on a transcon flight and I thought we were given plastic knives. I could be wrong but it is also possible they were extra paranoid in the days following the attacks and brought back the silverware before the glass. The thing I most remember about that flight is what a ghost town the airport was that Friday night, how nervous I was and how the Becks beer I had before takeoff was the best tasting beer I ever had and it really took the edge off.

Coal

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:53 pm

Quoting jfrworld (Reply 8):
Someone can't ask an honest question about rationale behind service standards, I guess.

Welcome to A.net, you must be new here. But yes, it used to be very different 10 years ago. Now you can't ask a question or state an opinion, particularly if it relates to J or F, lest you be considered an entitled brat. Those conversations are much better and civil over on FT.

Quoting Rugger (Reply 32):
Sorry, to an airline fuel savings is higher on the list than "your experience" onboard is.

In the US, where they nickel and dime you. Try flying an ME or Asian carrier once. Enjoy. Hopefully that changes your myopic view.

Quoting PA110 (Reply 27):

As an example, MI and KA serve PDB in glassware (KA in both wide and narrow bodies).
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

zippy

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:06 pm

Last I checked VX serves beverages in proper glass vessels in F... just not on the final descent. I'm sure UA would be happy to serve you with proper glassware... for a fee.

N1120A

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:21 pm

Quoting afcjets (Reply 42):
I flew on 9/14 the day after flights resumed in F on a transcon flight and I thought we were given plastic knives.

Plastic in premium cabins continued for at least a few years, as far as I recall.

global1

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:23 pm

Boarding for a wide body international flight generally begins 55 min before scheduled departure with J class being amongst the first to board.
Plenty of time to offer a PDB and collect the glasses before pushback.
As long as they are stowed you are fully compliant.

If DL can find the space for a couple of racks of glassware because it is thought to enhance the experience, other US carriers could do so.

BTW-If you haven't flown DeltaOne in the last couple of years, you really are not in a position to comment on the offering vis a vis European carriers.

N1120A

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:28 pm

Quoting global1 (Reply 46):
If DL can find the space for a couple of racks of glassware because it is thought to enhance the experience, other US carriers could do so.

Other US carriers will use glass for PDB on long haul flights at times.

Quoting global1 (Reply 46):
BTW-If you haven't flown DeltaOne in the last couple of years, you really are not in a position to comment on the offering vis a vis European carriers.

DeltaOne has been around for like a year. Also, the product isn't as good.

global1

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:37 pm

Wrong:
Either you use glassware or you don't. It's not random.

Wrong:
The branding has changed but the product in it's present form has been around for longer than that.

If you haven't flown it, you don't know what you're talking about.

I prefer to go by what our satisfaction scores and what our customers say.

TW870

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:37 pm

I was an sUA flight attendant when this change was implemented. It was in 2001 or 2002. We used to serve pre departure wine and champagne in glass in both domestic and international. Soon after 9/11, we were told that the FAA no longer allowed us to use glass on the ground during pre-departure. United bought new, "fancy" plasticware to serve wine and champagne on the ground (although champagne/sparking wine was soon discontinued on North America flights). I do not understand the safety rationale, as we continued to use glass in the air, and we always picked up all service items prior to takeoff.

Space for storage and time for pickup were generally never a problem when we used glass, and we had plenty of glasses for service on the ground and aloft. This was a directive that came from management that most of us thought was unnecessary - but the culprit was supposedly the feds.

Just what I know!

lukeyboy95

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:49 pm

ANA (NH) serve in plastic glassware for welcome drink.

Probably best glassware served by CI and GA. Very elegant and you can choose any welcome drink you wish.

I think it looks shabby in plastic and it takes but 1 minute to stow dirty glassware, esp. With safety display videos taking out the time needed for consuming manual display.
Breaking down the stereotypes - one by one

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos