Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rbavfan

RE: Plastic Glassware In F In On US Carriers

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:12 am

Quoting afcjets (Reply 42):
I thought it was obvious it ended since the OP only mentions plastic being used for pre-boarding drinks.

Agreed, are pre boarding drinks not drank before you board the plane? Why would it affect on board passengers?
Thus pre boarding.

Coal

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:22 am

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 51):
Agreed, are pre boarding drinks not drank before you board the plane? Why would it affect on board passengers?
Thus pre boarding.

I think you are confusing the (non-existent) Pre-Boarding Drinks (PBD) with Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB).
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

N867DA

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:34 am

Delta serves pre-departure beverages using real glass in Delta One (premium international/long-haul). Sparkling white wine and orange juice are always offered. I've seen a special Delta Sunrise cocktail on offer once. I'm sure you can ask for whatever else you'd like. The hard product is very competitive with European carriers. Rating the soft product is subjective and may even vary on how well a person understands American culture. I find DL's crews to be colloquial at times and may unknowingly cater to an American audience while foreign carriers try harder to be neutral.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

klkla

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:56 am

Isn't Delta a US airline? I know that may change soon but for now they are and Delta absolutely uses glass for pre-departure service.

global1

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:01 am

Firstly, let me say thank you for your business.

You can look forward to a new DeltaOne product in a little over a year, including new Italian designer glassware, table ware and cutlery, designed exclusively for Delta by Alessi.
New hard product and uniform roll outs as well.

Second, service styles are subjective. Yes, we are an American carrier and our service reflects that. For many Americans good service is 'friendly' service. For European carriers sometimes good service takes the form of 'correct' service.
Nothing says you can't strike a balance between friendly and a quality product.

Cheers

[Edited 2015-11-25 18:15:18]

flightsimer

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:56 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 13):

I flew first class last night with American, first time in first and first time on American... First leg was on an A321 boarded through L1. The head Steward who had First class took our orders and delivered while also helping the boarding passengers with finding their seats.

The second flight was a 757 loaded through L2. The head steward again was taking orders and making the drinks as well as gave us

Quoting Stitch (Reply 17):
USAir used to do plastic cups in First for the entire flight, so that clearly was a cost-reduction measure. I believe this is a time-reduction measure.

Both planes were ex USAir, but my inflight drinks were in glass.

I was actually quite disappointed with American's domestic first class. I can't believe they still charge you for Wifi and entertainment on a first class ticket. Having been flying Delta's economy plus all this year, it was a much better overall product than AA's first.
Commercial / Airline Pilot

USAirALB

Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:16 am

Before the merger, US had glassware for PDBs only on International Envoy flights. All others were plastic. US did, however, allow you to get whatever drink you wanted on the ground. Instead of just water or OJ.

Quoting flightsimer (Reply 56):
still charge you for Wifi

As does every other US carrier in First class.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

zippy

Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:10 am

Quoting flightsimer (Reply 55):
I was actually quite disappointed with American's domestic first class. I can't believe they still charge you for Wifi and entertainment on a first class ticket. Having been flying Delta's economy plus all this year, it was a much better overall product than AA's first.

I think most American based airlines charge for WiFi even in F. My impression of the Delta's first class offering (both mainline and Compass) is that it was professional, but still warm and homey in a Southern kinda way. A bit stodgy compared to VX or WN, but that's not necessarily a negative.

Unfortunately up and down the west coast Delta farms everything out to SkyWest and ExpressJet. Definitely not the same level of service, and ops out of SEA are a mess. I flew YVR-SEA-SFO earlier this year up front on some combo of Delta branded ExpressJet and SkyWest. I was told that I was lucky to get a packet of peanuts on the last leg. VX serves proper (cold) meals up front PDX-SFO and does a proper beverage service. That might seem a waste to some on such a short flight, but it does take the edge off of an early morning flight. I certainly wouldn't hold my breath for "Delta" Shuttle.

ua900

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:28 am

Serving with plastic cups just seems to be faster. Also consider that many times pre-departure beverages are served while lots of economy people are floating through the domestic F or Int'l C cabin, unless they board through door 2 like on the ever rarer 757. Ma and Pa Kettle in Boarding Group 4 or 5 bumping into you with their 22" carry on checked bag replacement is unpleasant enough, imagine them knocking over glassware on top of that. Or the F/A with their little tray bumping into someone.

Much less likely to happen in flight since a curtain is drawn and traffic in the premium cabin tends to not have the same godawful restroom lines that cause headaches to whoever works the rear galley and tries to get a service cart from there to the curtain and back. As an added side effect, perhaps it will also reduce the envy of those who pass through during boarding, although domestic first is certainly attainable price wise for pretty much anyone who flies today.

It's just a question of whether they want to trade 5 hours of relative comfort (Denny's style food on real plates vs. snack box, yay) for 2-3 days of their travel budget. If it's any consolation, more and more premium BoB products (e.g. Half bottles of drinkable wine, Moscow Mule on UA) are coming online, pretty sure that will continue to move towards including glass and china (e.g. LH premium economy) even in the U.S. as the various Y+ products continue their evolution beyond the extra legroom. With F on the way out, U.S. airlines are actively contemplating the future of Y+ as a separate class of travel taking the spot that used to be held by C cabin 15 years ago.

From a product perspective, I'd rather have champagne in a plastic cup than sparking wine in a glass. Much like I'd rather have a wider seat or flatbed than eurobusiness middle seat seat blocked. I gladly drink out of a plastic cup during pre-departure in return.

If it really upsets you, just bring some glassware from the club onto the plane, wait for your beverage to arrive, pour it into glassware, and then return the glass to the F/A as s/he collects the plastic cups. It's not theft since you're returning the glass to the company, and it should make for an interesting flight with the F/A as s/he starts paying attention to the cloth serviettes and the glassware issued to you during the remainder of your trip  
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

klkla

Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:45 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 58):
From a product perspective, I'd rather have champagne in a plastic cup than sparking wine in a glass.

That seems odd. Some sparkling wines are better than some champagnes. Champagne simply refers to a region, not necessarily quality.

sassiciai

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:09 pm

It's all a matter of well-being, personal satisfaction, and quality, plus the feeling of being looked after properly! Sure, we are all familiar with plastic at some people's BBQs, picnics, major public events, church events, etc. But a plastic beaker/mug/whatever is always something you can accept in the right place and moment. In a first class airline cabin, plastic is just not right, never! "Period" (whatever that means   )

But it's all subjective. Those who serve themselves at home in plastic have one POV, those who have a real glass for their drinks have another!

I live in Belgium, where there are more than 365 different beers available, and each beer has its own glass! It is absolute heresy to serve Beer A in a glass of Beer B! Maybe that was the real reason for Sabena's problems, 747s full of glasses rather than pax!!

roseflyer

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 34):
Does this apply to foreign flag carriers who operate flights ex USA? I have been on many airlines, such as QR, where full size stem champagne glasses were used for the pre-departure drink and were not collected by the crew until just before takeoff.

The CFRs only apply to US carriers but many foreign regulators copy or enforce the US FAA standards.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

VSlover

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:43 pm

vx also does a full bar in F while boarding which i was surprised by on such a short SFO-LAX hop, for example.

now back to counting glassware--based on, AHEM--A FRIEND, saying he has nabbed a glass or two of the AA etched stemless glasses, my hunch is they either dont count always or rather note its lost and forego asking a full 77W J cabin for a missing glass?

b727fa

Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:28 am

As my peeps have been saying (as have I), Delta One is ALWAYS served in glass. Delta First (domestic) is in plastic for pre-departure only.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

ua900

Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:42 am

Sounds like DL One is worth exploring. I did their LAX-SFO shuttle a couple times this year and was impressed how good the product was compared to UA and AA.

Quoting klkla (Reply 59):

Quoting ua900 (Reply 58):
From a product perspective, I'd rather have champagne in a plastic cup than sparking wine in a glass.

That seems odd. Some sparkling wines are better than some champagnes. Champagne simply refers to a region, not necessarily quality.

Agreed that some sparking wine are better, but I paid for at least Veuve on a $450 domestic F ticket on UA between LAX and SFO, why not serve the original? They can do it in BusinessFirst and also in the club and charge $14 a glass for that, so why not in domestic F?
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

zippy

Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:55 pm

Quoting VSlover (Reply 62):

vx also does a full bar in F while boarding which i was surprised by on such a short SFO-LAX hop, for example.

now back to counting glassware--based on, AHEM--A FRIEND, saying he has nabbed a glass or two of the AA etched stemless glasses, my hunch is they either dont count always or rather note its lost and forego asking a full 77W J cabin for a missing glass?

Is that so surprising? VX is trying to promote the image of a premium product, the legacies are mostly trying to cut costs. For comparison Horizon serves complimentary beer and wine on all their flights to the whole (one-class) cabin, even SEA-PDX.