Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Spice Jet Plans A Hub In Dubai.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:33 am

Spice Jet of India has stated that the company is interested in operating a hub in Dubai likely at DWC. The airline is waiting for the government approval before going on with the plans.

Quote from the article:

"Plans to develop a permanent hub in Dubai will start with increasing flights to 15 a day before partnering with other airlines to carry passengers to other points.
Singh said after that the airline will look to to start its own flights from Dubai to non-Indian destinations."

Source: gulfnews.com
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

AsoRock

RE: Spice Jet Plans A Hub In Dubai.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:17 am

Well, considering the gigantic access to the Indian market UAE carriers receive and the recently announced plans to expand the bilateral rights between India and the UAE, I don't see how the UAE can refuse Indian carriers the right to set up a base in DWC. The airport has ample capacity and Dubai claims to be an Open skies market. I am for any such rights to Spice Jet or others so long as the consumer enjoys lower air fares and more options when flying out of Dubai.

Nimish

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:30 am

What exactly is SG planning with a DXB/ DWC hub? Are they looking to fly beyond from Dubai? Is that allowed per the bilaterals?
Incredible India!

behramjee

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:40 am

this means the india-dxb bilateral seats allocation needs to be increased which would be music to EK/FZ's ears !

nighthawk

Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:51 am

Quoting Nimish (Reply 2):
What exactly is SG planning with a DXB/ DWC hub? Are they looking to fly beyond from Dubai? Is that allowed per the bilaterals?

Did you even read the original post?

Quoting dubaiamman243 (Thread starter):
"Plans to develop a permanent hub in Dubai will start with increasing flights to 15 a day before partnering with other airlines to carry passengers to other points.
Singh said after that the airline will look to to start its own flights from Dubai to non-Indian destinations."

directorguy

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:03 am

Very interesting news.
Does SG have any WBs on order? They can set up a scissor hub with flights from MAA, AMD, HYD, BOM, DEL, CCU feeding flights to LON, BHX, CDG etc. Perhaps they can also launch flights to places like JED, RUH, DMM, KWI etc. but I personally don't understand why the need to set up a scissor hub to connect two medium-haul points.
All the best, and I hope this goes through! Would love to have a long-haul LCC option out of DXB-and QR doesn't count  

3rdGen

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:09 am

Getting the pax to DWC and the rights to fly from India to Dubai is not an issue. The question is who do you connect with? Fly Dubai? They are the only carrier that has multiple destinations out of DWC. And non to Europe or North America.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

JOYA380B747

Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Quoting directorguy (Reply 5):
Does SG have any WBs on order?

They are soon to announce a 100+ NB order with either Boeing or Airbus. So I guess no WB ops anytime soon. In any case with a DWC hub they can do lot of airports with either the 737 Max or A320 Neos.
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

lightsaber

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:17 pm

Quoting dubaiamman243 (Thread starter):
Plans to develop a permanent hub in Dubai will start with increasing flights to 15 a day before partnering with other airlines to carry passengers to other points.

Due to the dearth of airlines at DWC, what is intended? Will SpiceJet be the Indian feed for FlyDubai? Something isn't adding up with the current bilateral...

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

LJ

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Quoting 3rdGen (Reply 6):
And non to Europe or North America.

FlyDubai does fly to Europe (some Eastern Europe cities).

planecrazy20

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:03 pm

Jazeera airways were asked to close down their Dubai hub when flydubai was launching. Things might have changed since then, but i don't think they're too keen on having another LCC setting up base in Dubai.

Spiderguy252

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:16 pm

Quoting planecrazy20 (Reply 10):
Jazeera airways were asked to close down their Dubai hub when flydubai was launching. Things might have changed since then, but i don't think they're too keen on having another LCC setting up base in Dubai.

Kuwait didn't have much leverage to combat that decision though; whereas the GoI can play hardball with India - UAE bilaterals if SpiceJet's attempts at creating a Dubai hub are thwarted.

For the record, I don't see how such will succeed in any case - the UAE is chalk a block with carriers of all kinds (don't forget G9 in SHJ), and surely SG aren't looking to give them a fight in their home turf. My guess is it will be a scissor hub a la 9W and BRU from where they can launch flights to Central Asia/Africa and beyond.

Unlike some conservative carriers, SpiceJet have shown over the years that they are fans of pioneering left-field routes the other guys don't really consider (DEL-CAN, PNQ-SHJ, now MAA-BKK, etc. etc.)
Vahroone

behramjee

Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:51 pm

9W has 5th freedom rights on some of its AUH-GCC routes so I dont think so SG will be barred from getting such access to/from DWC. I will not be surprised to see if Fly Dubai ends up taking a 20-25% stake in SG especially after this announcement that the latter plans on rapidly growing its Dubai bound operation at DWC to 15 daily !

TS-IOR

Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:56 pm

Wizzair is a bet as for a partner airline!

ojas

Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:42 am

Quoting AsoRock (Reply 1):
Well, considering the gigantic access to the Indian market UAE carriers receive and the recently announced plans to expand the bilateral rights between India and the UAE, I don't see how the UAE can refuse Indian carriers the right to set up a base in DWC.

They are awaiting India government approval not UAE government approval.

Quoting planecrazy20 (Reply 10):

Partially correct only. Yes Jazeera was asked to pull out it's 5th routes ex DXB ONLY AFTER Dubai was not allowed access to Cairo, Istanbul via Kuwait despite having the full rights to do so. The matter escalated into a diplomatic issue as a result flights between Dubai and India by Jazeera were withdrawn.
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

rbavfan

Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:52 am

Quoting directorguy (Reply 5):

I really doubt the France and the UK will allow any more DBX to France/UK flights even by a non Dubai carrier. Theres already a loss to the national carriers, wh allow another airline thats an LLC bleed the routes more?

hz747300

Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:12 am

This is going to be fun. Maybe they can take the thin African routes. I agree that EU/UK probably will not another airline more access. Would like to see how they do at DWC too. Not than anything is "too far" in Dubai, but the current DXB airport feels like an extension of the old city.
Keep on truckin'...

planecrazy20

Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:16 am

Quoting ojas (Reply 14):
Partially correct only. Yes Jazeera was asked to pull out it's 5th routes ex DXB ONLY AFTER Dubai was not allowed access to Cairo, Istanbul via Kuwait despite having the full rights to do so. The matter escalated into a diplomatic issue as a result flights between Dubai and India by Jazeera were withdrawn.

Thanks for clearing it up, i didn't know Dubai asked for access to other markets via Kuwait. Out of curiosity was it for EK or FZ?

Regardless, i imagine Spice Jet wont face problems getting the rights they need. The UAE has more to gain by giving Indian carriers access to Dubai than a Kuwait carrier.

Humberside

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:29 pm

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 15):
I really doubt the France and the UK will allow any more DBX to France/UK flights even by a non Dubai carrier. Theres already a loss to the national carriers, wh allow another airline thats an LLC bleed the routes more?
Quoting hz747300 (Reply 16):
I agree that EU/UK probably will not another airline more access

The UK probably would. Very different attitude compared to parts of continental Europe
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

IADCA

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:57 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 18):
The UK probably would. Very different attitude compared to parts of continental Europe
Quoting rbavfan (Reply 15):
I really doubt the France and the UK will allow any more DBX to France/UK flights even by a non Dubai carrier.

Unless they get something with more range than the current 737NG fleet they have, those are moot points. They have MAX-8s coming starting in 2017, but UK and France routes are probably still out of reach using those once one accounts for reserves. There's also likely sub-optimal routing (the great circle for those routes overfly Iraq and Syria).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos