Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ANA787
Topic Author

JAL Eyes New US Routes

Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:53 am

http://kyodonews.net/news/2015/12/03/41155

I assume a resumption of LAS-NRT is in the cards.
Anything else?

RayChuang

RE: JAL Eyes New US Routes

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:11 am

With JL now getting the 789, this makes it possible for the airline to operate transpacific routes to the USA at lower cost. As such, the NRT-LAS route now becomes economically viable again.

BoeingGuy

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:37 am

I would guess that SEA-NRT is in the cards too.

Dark horse would be PDX-NRT and maybe AUS-NRT.

behramjee

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:37 am

4 weekly NRT-MIA nonstop on a B789 is 14 hours 30 minutes hence a no brainer in my book as there is good point to point demand to begin with i.e. 23,000 pax in 2014 + transfer traffic bound to Asia + onward AA code share to Southeast USA + Latin America + Caribbean.

Btw LAS-NRT in 2014 was also a popular segment i.e. 79,000 pax and at decent yields too !

BayAreaFlyer

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:01 am

I could easily see JAL open LAS-NRT, IAH-NRT and PDX-NRT markets.

[Edited 2015-12-04 01:05:54]

as739x

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:20 am

What about NRT-PHL or CLT??
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

gatibosgru

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:23 am

MIA?   

-gbg
@DadCelo

ERJ170

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:16 am

PHL, RDU, STL, IAD, ATL, LAS all seem like good choices to me...
Aiming High and going far..

jetblue1965

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:31 am

SEA is most needed. Then the usual guesses of PDX AUS PHL IAD MIA. While LAS has high volume, JL's really low density configuration might not be all that suitable.

Wild card is JL joining NH and everyone else at the SJC party.

jfk777

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:41 pm

JAL serves the large west coast and east coast cities well. But it lacks contact with AA's new Usairways hubs, Charlotte and Philadelphia. IF Qatar can make PHL work then JAL should be able to do it with a 787. Its one big happy OneWorld alliance so why not ?

NH203

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:50 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 9):
Its one big happy OneWorld alliance so why not ?

And more importantly, AA and JL have a JV  

HeeseokKoo

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:56 pm

I read somewhere a.net that JL cannot launch new routes, but only can resume until 2017 or so. That's why DFW was resumed. In that sense, LAS makes perfect sense.

Also to LAS (as well as all west coast), JAL can quick-turn and come back before its Narita afternoon flight bank.

jetblue1965

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Quoting HeeseokKoo (Reply 11):

Is there any rationale behind why JL cannot launch anything new ?? It's not like Japan or JAL got any FAA downgrade ?

adamh8297

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:06 pm

Depending on slot availability - what about HND-BOS on a 160-ish seat configured 788. May deter NH from coming into BOS?
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

NH203

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 12):
Is there any rationale behind why JL cannot launch anything new ?? It's not like Japan or JAL got any FAA downgrade ?

I haven't heard of such a restriction, but if it exists, the reason would surely be that JL was bailed out by the government.

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 13):
Depending on slot availability - what about HND-BOS on a 160-ish seat configured 788. May deter NH from coming into BOS?

I believe all HND slots to the US are utilized, so JL would have to give up HND-SFO in order to start HND-BOS.

[Edited 2015-12-04 05:26:09]

commavia

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:27 pm

I agree that, in the context of the broader U.S.-Japan market, the largest and most strategically important business O&D market in which the AA/JAL JV currently lacks a presence in SEA-NRT. I think that market should be able to work with a JAL 788. More broadly, in the context of the overall AA/JAL network, I'd say the next highest priority is PHL-NRT, as PHL opens up enormous connectivity up and down the east coast into some city pairs not presently served by AA, and not to mention that PHL isn't a small market in and of itself.

WA707atMSP

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 7):
RDU, STL

I would be really surprised about either of these routes, unless AA re establishes hubs in these cities.

STL doesn't even have nonstops to London, so I'm sure it can't support service to Asia.

RDU is too close to OneWorld hubs in PHL, ORD, CLT, and MIA, not to mention ATL and DTW.

airbazar

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:13 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 9):
JAL serves the large west coast and east coast cities well. But it lacks contact with AA's new Usairways hubs, Charlotte and Philadelphia

I'm not sure they are as interested in adding more service to AA hubs. In fact it should be the opposite. AA and JL have a JV so it makes sense for JL to serve cities that AA will never consider flying from with their own metal. For that reason alone I don't think MIA will happen. I expect MIA-NRT to be flown by AA.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 12):

Part of the bankruptcy re-org procedures, IIRC.

kgaiflyer

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:16 pm

Unlikely that JL would come to *both* IAD and PHL which are only 117 nm apart.

And IAD already has NH.

[Edited 2015-12-04 06:32:25]

Cubsrule

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 16):
RDU is too close to OneWorld hubs in PHL, ORD, CLT, and MIA, not to mention ATL and DTW.

Isn't AUS too close to the OneWorld hub in DFW?

Here's an interesting list. Let's presume that Japan has located its consulates in those cities with relatively greater ties to Japan than some peer cities. Here are all of the consulates (and the embassy) with a note about whether they have JL or OAL service to TYO or neither:

ANC: None
ATL: OAL
BNA: None
BOS: JL
CHI: JL
DEN: OAL
DTW: OAL
HNL: JL
HOU: OAL
LAX: JL
MIA: None
NYC: JL
PDX: OAL
SEA: OAL
SFO: JL
WAS: OAL

MIA obviously jumps out on this list as an opportunity, and PDX and SEA's proximity to Japan help. After that, it seems like the next best set of opportunities might be places like ATL and DTW, both of which support some but not a tremendous amount of non-Skyteam TATL capacity.

It seems like a number of mid-sized cities (I'd include BNA and RDU on this list because I know them, but there could also be others like CMH or AUS) might be able to support 800-1,000 weekly seats to Tokyo. For me, the trouble is picking an aircraft. Those types of cities would probably be best-served by an AA 788, but that's a fleet of limited size and AA has other plans for them.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

tortugamon

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:28 pm

The article mentions that they are looking for US-based partner airlines to facilitate growth. To me that means B6, first, then maybe AS and VX. But if you look at their focus cities/hubs JAL already flies to LAX, SFO, BOS, and JFK. That leaves SEA (with AS partnership) and MCO, FLL with B6 partnership.

tortugamon

dabpit

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:33 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 20):
The article mentions that they are looking for US-based partner airlines to facilitate growth. To me that means B6, first, then maybe AS and VX. But if you look at their focus cities/hubs JAL already flies to LAX, SFO, BOS, and JFK. That leaves SEA (with AS partnership) and MCO, FLL with B6 partnership.

There is a stronger chance to see MCO and FLL before MIA. JAL could also offer connections from MCO to Brazil on Oneworld member TAM, that is if the timings line up.
Carpe Diem

RDUDDJI

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 19):
ANC: None
ATL: OAL
BNA: None
BOS: JL
CHI: JL
DEN: OAL
DTW: OAL
HNL: JL
HOU: OAL
LAX: JL
MIA: None
NYC: JL
PDX: OAL
SEA: OAL
SFO: JL
WAS: OAL

Interesting that they have a consulate in BNA but not CMH...

BNA is likely due to the Nissan regional offices in the BNA area and the plants in Smyrna, Dechard (engine) and Canton, MS.

CMH has a larger Honda presence (at least 4 plants and a design center) in the CMH area than the Nissan presence in BNA. I recall last time I was there, there were ANA ads all over the airport touting one stop service via ORD.

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 16):

RDU definitely is not in the running for NRT service, but it has nothing to do with 1W hubs... It has to do with the fact that the PDEW in that market is ~25 PDEW. Way too small for a Long Haul flight.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

Cubsrule

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:54 pm

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 22):
BNA is likely due to the Nissan regional offices in the BNA area and the plants in Smyrna, Dechard (engine) and Canton, MS.

It's mostly Nissan and Bridgestone, though Nissan in particular has some level of supplier presence. Remember that a significant amount of Nissan's activity in the Americas is coordinated from Franklin, so while it's a regional office, the relevant region is quite large.

It has to do with the fact that the PDEW in that market is ~25 PDEW. Way too small for a Long Haul flight.

I know Nashville better than the Triangle, but I have long suspected that buying multiple tickets artificially depresses the reported passenger numbers to Asia from Nashville, and I think the same may be true for RDU. I have a colleague who goes to HKG a couple of times per year, and he always flies WN to MDW and then changes airports and flies ORD-HKG on another ticket. That wouldn't be my choice, but he has done it forever.

FLIHGH

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 18):

IAD also has United. JAL would be the third carrier, which I don't think we'll see.

LoudounHound

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Quoting FLIHGH (Reply 24):
IAD also has United. JAL would be the third carrier, which I don't think we'll see.

Yes, but UA and NH are obviously both Star Alliance. IAD makes sense because (1) it would be a resumption of service for JL, so in keeping with the bankruptcy restrictions, and (2) it would follow what some on this board have advocated, i.e. a larger and more strategic One World presence at IAD to capitalize on the large AA/US frequent flyer pool in the DC area due to the DCA hub.

Max752

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:14 pm

Some of you had the idea of JAL coming to STL and though being from St. Louis, I'd love to see Asia non-stops, I highly doubt it.

BNA, AUS, RDU, and STL are all in the same boat however, it's really unlikely given the not only the originating pax but also the connecting pax. Out of all these medium sized airports, STL has the largest Asia market. I know I get shot down for choosing STL over the other top picks (BNA, AUS, RDU) but STL has a larger Asian population and I believe a higher foreign population.

One thing a lot of a.netters fail to realize about the STL metro is the high influx of immigrants from not only eastern Europe but also Asia (Pakistan, Iraq, India). However, even I think the number of origination pax in STL is far too low to support Asia-STL service.

If any non-hub cities got JAL service it'd likley be in this order;
-PDX
-SMF
-STL
-AUS
-RDU

That's just my impression of the current demand for Japan-USA.

-Max
Super 80, pff, more like Stupid 80 | TravelUpdate.com & TheCollegePoints.com |

Miami

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:14 pm

Quoting dabpit (Reply 21):
There is a stronger chance to see MCO and FLL before MIA.

I know I'm biased but no there's not. The reason you gave isn't valid.

A better reason would be "MCO is a bigger market to NRT than from MIA".

There is a stronger chance to see MIA before MCO and FLL.

JAL has NRT. AA has MIA. Both OneWorld airlines. That makes it stronger. I don't think everyone on a flight from Japan to Florida just wants to go to Brazil.

Oh and btw, if you didn't know; TAM has flights to MIA. With more daily/weekly flights than to/from MCO.  
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

kgaiflyer

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:35 pm

IAD also has United.

But, of course.

And Washington-Dulles is a Star Alliance hub - thus the NH presence.

So - the nearest OneWorld hubs would be CLT and PHL - which is why IAD will probably not see JL.

DolphinAir747

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:37 pm

NRT LAS seems like the most obvious with no competition, or PHL or MIA.

A388

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:38 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 27):
JAL has NRT. AA has MIA. Both OneWorld airlines. That makes it stronger.

I agree with this too, I see MIA being on top of there list of they are looking for feed to other destinations. South America has no presence of JL and MIA is the missing link for them via AA's hub in MIA. Unless AA starts flying MIA-NRT first or they can share the route as they are partners anyway. Just my opinion.

A388

AABB777

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:51 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 18):

Unlikely that JL would come to *both* IAD and PHL which are only 117 nm apart.

And IAD already has NH.

As UA continues to right-size their IAD hub, perhaps there is an opportunity for oneworld to increase their presence in the WAS market with JL beginning IAD-NRT. This would compliment BA's IAD-LHR and QR's IAD-DOH service and offer WAS-based FFs more international travel options from IAD. This, combined with AA's operation at DCA, would make oneworld more of a global powerhouse in the WAS market.

[Edited 2015-12-04 07:53:19]

jetblue1965

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:52 pm

Quoting Max752 (Reply 26):
If any non-hub cities got JAL service it'd likley be in this order;
-PDX
-SMF
-STL
-AUS
-RDU

Nothing against STL, but given that STL completely lacks a TATL link these days, I simply think the idea of TPAC STL is a bit far fetched.

PDX yes, AUS maybe, RDU really long flight but maybe doable 3 years down the road.

SMF and STL, I'm not holding my breath.

commavia

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Quoting dabpit (Reply 21):
There is a stronger chance to see MCO and FLL before MIA.

No there isn't. As already mentioned, there is nothing by way of connections that MCO offers that MIA doesn't - and then some. Not to mention that MIA brings a corporate/business component that neither MCO nor FLL can match. Beyond that, I generally agree with others' sentiments and remain bullish on the prospects for a nonstop MIA-Asia link at some point in the future, and I also do agree that an AA or JAL 787 is the most likely aircraft to do it.

The challenge, though, that I think MIA is going to have to face and ultimately overcome as markets and global trade linkages to continue to develop, is that at the moment there just isn't much in the way of Asia-Latin America connectivity that MIA offers that DFW doesn't already cover, or at least not enough to justify such an incredibly long flight. While there's no question that MIA would offer 1-stop connectivity between NRT and a vast array of additional cities that are unlikely to ever be flown nonstop from DFW, the reality is that the vast majority of NRT/Asia-Latin America demand is going to places that are generally served over DFW (or JFK) - places like GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL, LIM, MEX, etc. AA's own executives have recently alluded to this very phenomenon on the record.

Agree, I think IAD is a lower-probability prospect, although as others have said, AA and oneworld do now have a very, very strong franchise in WAS metro and at some point down the road it is at least conceivable that this could facilitate a nonstop WAS-Asia option to compete with United/Star.

Personally, I still think SEA and PHL are better near-term prospects, and can also see LAS given that while it skews more leisure/lower-yielding the volume is huge and JAL could offer a ton of connections beyond/behind NRT. I think the issues working for and against MIA are well-discussed, too, and see IAD as another prospect after all of these.

So for me, I think that's the list of realistic Japan-U.S. prospects for JAL (or in some cases perhaps AA, in either case likely with a 787 at least to start), in order or plausibility: SEA, PHL, LAS, MIA, IAD.

Max752

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 32):
AUS maybe, RDU really long flight but maybe doable 3 years down the road.

What's the love affair with AUS these days? Austin's metro isn't gigantic, their economy's doing well but it's not massive, and TPAC to AUS is just as far fetched as TPAC to STL.

RDU only has LHR because its subsidized. If it lost its subsidies I'd give the route a few months before AA cut the cord.

Realistically, LAS, PHL, or something similar.

-Max
Super 80, pff, more like Stupid 80 | TravelUpdate.com & TheCollegePoints.com |

AirFiero

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:05 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 8):
Wild card is JL joining NH and everyone else at the SJC party.

I might be one of SJCs biggest fanboys, but can we realistically think it could support TWO flights to NRT? The only way I can see that happening would be if there's a major shift in the number of people going yo SFO. In other words, would passengers and airlines be up for a major shift to the South Bay? I think SJC would have to steal most of those passengers from SFO.

JetBlueCLT

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:07 pm

CLT and PHL are a good bet with the 787.
Pittsburgh Penguins, Steelers, Pirates and Charlotte Hornets Fan

Cubsrule

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:23 pm

Quoting JetBlueCLT (Reply 36):
CLT and PHL are a good bet with the 787.

Whose? JL's are far too premium for CLT-TYO.

airbazar

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:25 pm

My money is on SEA first, LAS second.

727LOVER

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:37 pm

Quoting Max752 (Reply 26):
BNA, AUS, RDU, and STL are all in the same boat however, it's really unlikely given the not only the originating pax but also the connecting pax. Out of all these medium sized airports, STL has the largest Asia market. I know I get shot down for choosing STL over the other top picks (BNA, AUS, RDU) but STL has a larger Asian population and I believe a higher foreign population.One thing a lot of a.netters fail to realize about the STL metro is the high influx of immigrants from not only eastern Europe but also Asia (Pakistan, Iraq, India). However, even I think the number of origination pax in STL is far too low to support Asia-STL service.
Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 32):
Nothing against STL, but given that STL completely lacks a TATL link these days, I simply think the idea of TPAC STL is a bit far fetched.

In the late '90s, wasn't TWA awarded a STL-NRT flight, but never operated it because they didn't have a capable aircraft?

COMMAVIA,

you say this:

Quoting commavia (Reply 33):
No there isn't. As already mentioned, there is nothing by way of connections that MCO offers that MIA doesn't - and then some. Not to mention that MIA brings a corporate/business component that neither MCO nor FLL can match.

...and then this:

Quoting commavia (Reply 33):
and can also see LAS given that while it skews more leisure/lower-yielding the volume is huge

So low-yield LAS is fine, but low-yield MCO is not?  

How about if AA did MIA-NRT and JL does MCO-NRT?  
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Ytraveller

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:39 pm

I would love to see JL return to LAS. The 787 would work nicely.

JL did serve LAS for 8 years (1998-2006) with the 744. I'm surprised they haven't returned yet, leaving KE as the only Asian carrier at LAS.

757usairways

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Quoting JetBlueCLT (Reply 36):

I agree with that, with PHL and CLT as now major hubs in the AA network, I don't think JAL should have any problem filling a B788 on the routes.

commavia

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 38):
My money is on SEA first

Would also comport with the comment about additional codeshare partners. Would be interesting to see what would happen to the competitive dynamics in the SEA-TYO market if JAL and Alaska started codesharing and Alaska started providing preferential access to its codeshare/interline connecting feed to JAL's SEA-TYO/Asia routings.

And for that matter, maybe AA and JAL could even integrate Alaska into their transpacific JV   

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 39):
So low-yield LAS is fine, but low-yield MCO is not?

Yes.

LAS skews more leisure/low-yielding, but I suspect not as much as MCO given all of the convention business, especially not as much with respect to Asia O&D. In addition, I suspect beyond/behind-NRT O&D that could flown over NRT (from places like Korea, China, etc.) is also larger to LAS than MCO. Finally, the stage length is dramatically (>1500nm) shorter, which also makes that type of flight somewhat more palatable.

In my personal opinion, given the stage lengths, demographics and economic/commercial linkages involved, the only Florida market that is going to be able to viably support a nonstop flight to Asia on a network carrier is the same singular Florida market that is able to support a network airline hub - and that's MIA.

mbm3

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:47 pm

Interesting that they have a consulate in BNA but not CMH...

CMH has a larger Honda presence (at least 4 plants and a design center) in the CMH area than the Nissan presence in BNA. I recall last time I was there, there were ANA ads all over the airport touting one stop service via ORD.

The CMH region can easily leverage the consulate in Chicago.

I thought of CMH as a potential candidate for 787 service to/from Japan as the Honda Express, but I am sure it would take a firm commitment from Honda to make it happen as there is already decent one-stop service.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

jetblue1965

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:48 pm

Quoting Max752 (Reply 34):

What's the love affair with AUS these days? Austin's metro isn't gigantic, their economy's doing well but it's not massive, and TPAC to AUS is just as far fetched as TPAC to STL.

It's not an irrational love affair (I've lived in neither city so there's no bias of affiliation). AUS has much higher growth prospects, and if you include the SAT catchment area, has higher total population, total GDP, and population growth rate, and all which may bode well for future service.

Quoting AirFiero (Reply 35):

I might be one of SJCs biggest fanboys, but can we realistically think it could support TWO flights to NRT? The only way I can see that happening would be if there's a major shift in the number of people going yo SFO. In other words, would passengers and airlines be up for a major shift to the South Bay? I think SJC would have to steal most of those passengers from SFO.

Who knows ... apparently SJC went from no long-haul in recent years to all of a sudden LHR FRA NRT PEK PVG. It's not that SJC can't support, it's just that a lot of the potential traffic previously has gone up to SFO (which won't show up in any SJC-Asia PDEW metrics). For all the tech folks in Menlo Park or Palo Alto, in which both airports are within 5-10 mins of driving time, SJC service can easily be just as competitive.

Another factor is that many of the NRT flights are wingtip-to-wingtip (necessitated to connect with mid-afternoon NRT scissor bank), so there's hardly a frequency argument in favor of SFO either.

LAXdude1023

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Quoting gatibosgru (Reply 6):
MIA
PHL

These two seem like no-brainers for eventual service to me. Im surprised PHL-NRT hasnt been started by AA and MIA-NRT seems like a good fit for a 787.

RDU
STL

Not in our lifetimes.

IAD, ATL

Dont see it. IAD-NRT is large and ATL-NRT is sizable too, but they already have ample service.

LAS

Not a bad thought. They have the market, but the yields are low.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 8):
SEA

Big market, but heavy competition.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 19):
ANC

Im actually shocked not one Asian carrier can make ANC work a couple times a week year round.

Quoting BayAreaFlyer (Reply 4):
IAH

Big market, but were at a tipping point for Asian service right now.

Quoting BayAreaFlyer (Reply 4):
PDX

Dont know if its big enough for two carriers on PDX-NRT.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Cubsrule

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:51 pm

Quoting mbm3 (Reply 43):
The CMH region can easily leverage the consulate in Chicago.

BNA-ATL is shorter than CMH-CHI.

Quoting mbm3 (Reply 43):
I thought of CMH as a potential candidate for 787 service to/from Japan as the Honda Express, but I am sure it would take a firm commitment from Honda to make it happen as there is already decent one-stop service.

My guess is that the Honda demand to CMH is roughly equal to the Nissan demand to Nashville. Much of Nissan's engineering is in Michigan, not Nashville, but many of Honda's administrative functions are still in California.

FLIHGH

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Quoting LoudounHound (Reply 25):

There are just so many other better options for JAL than Dulles at the moment. OW already has great feed to DC and other east coast destinations from NYC with the multiple daily flights to Tokyo. JAL mentioned in the article numerous times the codeshare partners have been amazing at boosting demand and pax. By launching NRT-IAD, they'd basically be for O&D passengers in the US as American is near nonexistant at IAD. There's practically nowhere else AA doesn't fly to from their DCA hub that pax couldn't get to from NYC.

ridgid727

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 38):
My money is on SEA first, LAS second.

I would have to agree, and I suppose JL and AS have already had meetings about code share etc. With AS, they have an automatic feed into their system, that is pretty strong. Of course this will infuriate the Southern Red Headed Lady from ATL.

jetblue1965

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 48):

I would have to agree, and I suppose JL and AS have already had meetings about code share etc. With AS, they have an automatic feed into their system, that is pretty strong. Of course this will infuriate the Southern Red Headed Lady from ATL.

That's the added bonus =) Just like how JL codeshared with AA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos