neromancer

RE: Which Airline Transporting Refugees To YUL & YYZ?

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Just to add my two cents. As a Canadian I too fully support bringing refugees to Canada. I'm proud to live in a country that is a safe and multicultural society with a long history of accepting refugees from around the world and our country is stronger today because of it. Sure there will be some initial costs and even a little risk but history has shown that the benefits have always outweighed the costs. Regardless of background or religion people in the end are the same and have the same basic human instincts. I'm not going to let a handful of madmen deter me from helping what I know are going to be 99.99% good people that will do good for our society. And some of which will return back to the middle east when some basic sense of stability happens to make their country a better and more stable place.

My grandparents came to Canada from the Netherlands shortly after the second world war with basically nothing. Our family in general has done reasonably well and I'd like to think that Canada's generosity to my grandparents has been a net benefit to Canada.

As a note, my understanding is that the Canadian military will be helping to fly refugees over as well. Likely utilizing at least one of our A310MRT's (CC-150 Polaris). I read a story a couple of days ago mentioning the the military will be running flights approximately every other day. Charters will be providing most of the lift however.

[Edited 2015-12-05 09:59:47]

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:36 pm

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 53):
air carriers that have the capacity, capability and availability to provide air transportation in the form of chartered aircraft of a minimum of 200 seats capable to perform direct flights between Adana / Gaziantep, Turkey and Amman, Jordan and Toronto Pearson Airport / Montréal Trudeau Airport. ...

To get an idea, gcmap shows ADA-YYZ as 4,820nm and AMM 5,080nm, both not as accurate as really flight plans.

ADA is 65ft/ 20m above sea level and has a runway of 9,022ft/ 2750m.

AMM is 2,395ft/ 730m above sea and has runways of 12,008ft/ 3660m.

Another tender is seeking charter services form YYZ/YUL to various destinations within Canada

I guess this is where WS, Enerjet, Flair, TS 737s and AC smaller types could come into play.

Kaiarahi

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:49 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 51):
Canada allows over 100,000 immigrants a year, most of them on a refugee status. This announcement was in addition to that normal allotment.

Current levels are approximately 300,000 annually - 280,000 in regular immigration programs (i.e. skilled worker, family, investor and similar classes), 14,000 resettled Convention refugees (i.e. identified by UNHCR), and a smaller number of asylum refugees (i.e. refugees who claim refugee status after arriving in Canada and whose refugee status is determined by the IRB).

Quoting longhauler (Reply 51):
These are people just like you and me, that probably two years ago had a life just like you and me ... and for reasons beyond their control, has had it ripped away from them. They just want a life again ...

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 6):
They should seek asylum in the next safest country which is certainly not Canada. Being a refugee is not a wish concert and the signal they are sending out will only increase humanitarian crisis and economic migrants. And will these 20'000 appear for their return flight?

You're incredibly misinformed. Canada is taking people already registered as refugees by the UNHCR under the UN Convention on Refugees (that's why it's called resettlement). The people who have swarmed into Europe are asylum seekers whose status as genuine refugees has not been determined, not Convention refugees. If attitudes like yours are prevalent in Switzerland, maybe UNHCR should consider moving its head office away from Geneva (perhaps along with other UN agencies).
Empty vessels make the most noise.

YYZYYT

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Does it have to be non-stop?

Re-read the tender, and found the answer to my own question:

capable to perform direct flights between Adana / Gaziantep, Turkey and Amman, Jordan and Toronto Pearson Airport / Montréal Trudeau Airport

So I guess the number of competitors is limited....

Adipasquale

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Quoting flaps30 (Reply 27):
Canada is full of Liberals fools like yourself. Don't come crying to us when they blow up your country.

Must be drinking the Kool Aid Fox News and the radicals in the GOP are giving you.

Anyways, back on topic, do the TS A310-300s have the range to do ADA-YYZ and/or AMM-YYZ nonstop? I believe the A313 has a 5,200 nm range fully loaded, so it would be close but doable. However, I am not an expert in things pertaining to the A310 (or anything for that matter) so maybe someone with more A310 knowledge could chime in.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W

diverted

Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 57):
Re-read the tender, and found the answer to my own question:

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 53):capable to perform direct flights between Adana / Gaziantep, Turkey and Amman, Jordan and Toronto Pearson Airport / Montréal Trudeau Airport
So I guess the number of competitors is limited....

Direct doesn't necessarily mean non-stop. Running stopover in say, KEF, would still be direct, so long as the aircraft continues onwards and doesn't necessitate a connection. Ie, PD (and I think WS and AC/QK may as wel) advertises direct YOW-YYT service. The aircraft stops in YHZ, but as it continues onwards with the same flight number, it's considered direct.

Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised to see 5T bidding on those-they have a ton of slack in their 733 fleet from what I've heard.

trex8

Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:26 pm

It seems to me that since various EU nations are stepping forward in the fight against Daesh there ought to be at least some empty transport planes flying west from various places in the Mid East. Seems using some of these military assets to get people closer to the Atlantic so that commercial carriers can take the refugees on the transatlantic leg could work out well. IIRC lots of SE Asian refugees come to the U.S. On military flights as well as charters and I definitely remember being on a PA 747 with a huge part of the rear cabin being Laotian refugees.

lightsaber

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Thread locked due to going off topic.

Keep it civil in the new thread:
Which Airline Transferring Refugees To YUL&YYZ Pt2 (by lightsaber Dec 5 2015 in Civil Aviation)
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos