Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747400sp
Topic Author

Airlines Policy On Hiring Foreign Pilots?

Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:49 pm

Hello

I was wondering, what are some airlines, especially US airlines, policy on hiring foreign pilots? I remember in 2008, I was in Dubai for a port visit, and I meet an American woman who's husband, flew for Emirates Airlines, now I believe he was also an American. So let say there is an American pilot, who want to get some seat time in an A380, would it be hard for him or her, to go to a foreign airline for a job? Also, could a Canadian or Mexican pilot, fly for the US big 3, with the right visa?

PS: That EK pilot, transferring from an A330 to a 777 in 2008, when I saw her again in 2010, he was flying 777, he even flew one LA. It would be cool if he is now flying A380s.

LimaFoxTango

RE: Airlines Policy On Hiring Foreign Pilots?

Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:43 am

Provided the person has the right to live and work legally in the US i.e. passport or green card. US airlines can't hire anyone unless they meet that basic criteria. I'm not aware of any visa a foreign pilot can obtain to gain employment in the US. If there is, I stand corrected. Over in the ME however, and many other countries, they use a work permit system that is granted once the airline has offered employment to a foreign pilot. Airlines must follow local employment laws before they hire a foreigner.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

26point2

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:36 am

Not trying to be a downer but I know a bit about this.

I hold Australian, U.K. and now U.S. Citizenship but tried hard for 20+ years to get the job done as a UK in US and all was well Until 9/11. Everything changed for a Euro guy based in US so I became US citizen. No, I don't own a gun.

I have literally changed my citizenship to make my corporate flying job easier for me and less of a potential hassle for my employer. TSA requires a lengthy and ridiculous clearance procedure before any foreign pilot training...even 6 month recurrent training after years at the same facility. This alone might be your deal breaker. I have always worked for private individuals who don't mind the extra expense but an airline could balk.

Just my story though. Stay your course, keep you head up, and good things will happen.

gocaps16

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:39 am

In Japan, it's difficult and costly. An American would have to convert his FAA certifications to JAA/ICAO certfications. If you know the right people via networking, it's possible. I know several Riddle grads who flew for ExpressJet and got offered flying with Emirates and other carriers in Asia via a company that specialize western pilots to fly overseas. A friend of mine at William and Mary met the President on her flight to Beijing and gave me his contact business card. These guys are usually at Airline Job Fairs. I met a retired Japan Airline 747 Captain (He's British) living in Northern Japan when I was living in Aomori in 2010. He flew for many foreign carriers such as Cathay Pacific, Dragon Air, and then Japan Air before he retired. Great guy.

[Edited 2015-12-05 19:41:03]

TWA772LR

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:47 am

I know F/As can fly for US airlines with a work visa. I've seen many UA FAs with UK passports. I'd imagine pilots would (could) be the same, just with the proper visa.

I know a former Expressjet pilot who went to Hainan a few years ago. Turns out he only stayed for 8 months before coming back to the states to go back to flying corporate.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

gocaps16

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:18 am

Problem with the jobs with the Chinese carrier is that you are responsible in getting that A320, 777, or 747 type rating unlike if you get a job with Atlas Air. I hear a 777 type rating out of pocket expense is no joke. But the pay out there I'm hearing is very good.

skyhawkmatthew

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:30 am

It all depends on the carrier. Cathay Pacific is a good example of a carrier that hires an enormous number of expats. Unlike many carriers (as mentioned above), Cathay pays for all the conversion and type training, as well as arranging Hong Kong work visas, licences and medicals.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

Vio

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:26 pm

In order to be employed by a foreign carrier, one must have:

1. The right to live / work in that country, either by being a citizen, an approved immigrant with right to live and work or have a work visa / permit)

2. Have the appropriate license for that country. If you live in Canada, you need a Canadian license, in USA you need an FAA license, Europe EASA, Australia CASA, etc.

3. Some carriers require that the candidate speak their official language. For example Scandinavian Airlines require that you speak one of the Nordic languages, Danish, Swedish, etc. Finnair requires you speak Finnish. So a German pilot with a European license can legally work for Finnair, it's unlikely he or she will get that job. Other carriers, such as Wizzair does not require that. I know many Belgians, British etc pilots that live and work as pilots in Romania. They get along with English just fine.

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 2):
TSA requires a lengthy and ridiculous clearance procedure before any foreign pilot training

Not true. It's quite an easy process. I got to Flight Safety in the USA (NY, Tucson, Wichita) and my initial TSA approval took 6 weeks (of waiting) and my recurrent about 7 days. You just have to remember to do it on time. The only "inconvenience" was having to go to USA for finger printing. It was a 2 hour drive for me, from Canada. I think the process is quite thorough and I did not think it was at all ridiculous or absurd.
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

26point2

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:27 pm

Quoting vio (Reply 7):

You did it once. Imagine going through the TSA screening every six months year after year. It is done but to the OP's point an airline will not want this hassle or expense twice per year.

dfwjim1

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:35 pm

I enjoy listening to DFW Tower, approach and departure via ATC.Net and every once a while I will hear an American Airlines
pilot speaking English with a United Kingdom accent.

747400sp
Topic Author

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:44 pm

Quoting dfwjim1 (Reply 9):
I enjoy listening to DFW Tower, approach and departure via ATC.Net and every once a while I will hear an American Airlines
pilot speaking English with a United Kingdom accent.

I remember flying from DFW to LAX in 1990, with my Grand Mother, Sister and Brother on an AA DC10, and the Captain had an European accent.

PS: there was an ANA 742 and Varig DC10-30, taxing when we landed at LAX.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos