Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:43 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/...campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

Good to see an airline recognize a competitor's success

EA CO AS

RE: AA Congratulates DL For Operational Excellence

Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:53 pm

Quoting DTWLAX (Thread starter):

I wonder if DL will congratulate AA for overtaking them for second place in the JD Power and Associates midyear report for customer satisfaction?   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

md3

Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:32 am

Why is neither congratulating their mutual partner AS for their continued success?  

Can't we all just get along???

rising

Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:46 am

I always wonder what airline executives are getting at when they talk about the need to improve their "maintenance operations" Never sounds reassuring.

One would assume they are not talking about actual aircraft safety/maintenance but more spare part availability etc. At least one would hope.
If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not true.

B757Forever

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:05 am

Quoting rising (Reply 3):

I always wonder what airline executives are getting at when they talk about the need to improve their "maintenance operations" Never sounds reassuring.

One would assume they are not talking about actual aircraft safety/maintenance but more spare part availability etc. At least one would hope.

An essential element of an on-time operation (and operational excellence) is an aircraft at the gate ready to fly when needed. Every other aspect of the operation builds on that. I'm certain that is what he is referring to as AA has an outstanding Maintenance and Engineering Department.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

smi0006

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:09 am

Didn't AA also compliment NZ say what a great product they offered? When an airline has the confidence to compliment their competitor and acknowledge the competition they offer- that is true style and class

NW

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:44 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 1):

Quoting DTWLAX (Thread starter):

I wonder if DL will congratulate AA for overtaking them for second place in the JD Power and Associates midyear report for customer satisfaction?   

AA will drop when US is folded in.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:48 am

Quoting NW (Reply 6):

I dont get that logic...
What gets measured gets done.

Max Q

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:58 am

I can understand that, what would concern me more if I didn't know better is the statement
they 'need to work on their flight completion factor'

Completing the flight always seems like a priority  Wow!
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

luv2cattlecall

Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:48 am

Great job to AA for getting their completion factor to above 99% now, but it was 96% for Q1? Ouch!

rta

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:06 am

Yep, Delta has been setting the bar lately. Its good to hear AA is at 99%+ as I was thinking it would be much lower.

Nothing anything thats particularly alarming; they're probably just talking about improving the dispatch reliability rates to prevent the last minute delay right before the plane leaves the gate.

Quoting luv2cattlecall (Reply 9):
but it was 96% for Q1? Ouch!

Not exactly sure if it was Q1 or not, but those thunderstorms at DFW earlier this year were pretty bad.

[Edited 2015-12-06 02:10:43]

superjeff

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:49 pm

Quoting NW (Reply 6):

Actually, I doubt it. US had better operational results than AA before the merger, and they've been one airline (SOC) for almost a year now. And AA had been improving as well. Both components of the "New American" had been investing in modern equipment and improvements all along. If anything, their results should get better. The AA/US merger is not a CO/US situation where they've had major issues.

I'm not a AA or a US fanboy, but I flew a lot on US and fly a lot on AA regularly and they are a pretty good operation these days.

IPFreely

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:25 pm

I wonder if the AA exec provided incomplete information or if the published interview was edited down.

It would have been appropriate for him to congratulate DL for their mainline operational excellence. Then point out that for domestic travelers, the combined American Eagle + AA performance beats DL + DL Connection by a huge margin.

Polot

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:44 pm

Quoting luv2cattlecall (Reply 9):
Great job to AA for getting their completion factor to above 99% now, but it was 96% for Q1? Ouch!
Quoting rta (Reply 10):
Not exactly sure if it was Q1 or not, but those thunderstorms at DFW earlier this year were pretty bad.

Remember last winter was a particularly brutal one when it came to snow storms, including at Dallas. When snow/ice constantly batters your largest hub located in a southern city ill equipped to deal with it your completion factor is going to take a huge dive. DL's completion factor for that quarter was 98.6%. Better, but ATL was not hit as hard with snow/ice (although they got some) and hubs like MSP and DTW are better prepared for winter weather (and are less delayed prone than ORD to begin with). Subsequent quarters obviously saw better numbers for both airlines.

EA CO AS

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:56 pm

Quoting superjeff (Reply 11):
Quoting NW (Reply 6):AA will drop when US is folded in.

Actually, I doubt it. US had better operational results than AA before the merger

We'll see. US scored very poorly in the midyear JD Power and Associates results (727 points for AA, 726 for DL, with just 679 for US) so their results could drag AA down as a whole once the year-end results come out in May.

Tops among LCCs was B6 at 792 points, with WN on their heels at 786 points. Tops among traditional carriers was AS with 743 points.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

NW

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:44 pm

Quoting superjeff (Reply 11):

Quoting NW (Reply 6):

Actually, I doubt it. US had better operational results than AA before the merger, and they've been one airline (SOC) for almost a year now. And AA had been improving as well. Both components of the "New American" had been investing in modern equipment and improvements all along. If anything, their results should get better. The AA/US merger is not a CO/US situation where they've had major issues.

I'm not a AA or a US fanboy, but I flew a lot on US and fly a lot on AA regularly and they are a pretty good operation these days.

US came in number 6, AA will drop when the results are merged.

delimit

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:47 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 12):
I wonder if the AA exec provided incomplete information or if the published interview was edited down.

It would have been appropriate for him to congratulate DL for their mainline operational excellence. Then point out that for domestic travelers, the combined American Eagle + AA performance beats DL + DL Connection by a huge margin.

That's a little far fetched.

He's comparing apples to apples. He doesn't get to trumpet their great completion factor if he includes the regionals either.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:06 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 12):

Were you fired from a DCI carrier or something?
What gets measured gets done.