Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bcoz
Topic Author

Delta Domestic Upguaging For Holidays

Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Anyone know of any domestic upguage soft the holidays with Delta? A post in the trip report forum about a ATL-MSP turn on the 747-400 got me thinking...

ooslc

RE: Delta Domestic Upguaging For Holidays

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:29 pm

Dec 19-Jan 3: ATL-SLC is seeing, in addition to the 767 they see daily, an A330-300. And on Jan 4th only a 77L.

That's all I saw for SLC...don't know about other stations. The schedules are over 200 pages long.
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

cschleic

Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:12 pm

I searched 744 in the online schedule a few days ago and didn't find any domestic 744s,
but plenty of flight numbers with 744 in them. Didn't search other planes. But who knows, things could change.

compensateme

Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:29 am

Christmas/New Years see very little upgauging, if any, because travel is spread out over a much larger period than it is during Thansgiving. Instead, you'll see added sections and "temporary" routes to select destinations. Most of the upgauging activity, liked cited above, is done for end-of-season positioning and capacity sub whole aircraft are repositioned. January 4th is a normal workday for most of America...
We don’t care what your next flight is.

mayor

Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:05 am

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 3):
Christmas/New Years see very little upgauging, if any, because travel is spread out over a much larger period than it is during Thansgiving. Instead, you'll see added sections and "temporary" routes to select destinations. Most of the upgauging activity, liked cited above, is done for end-of-season positioning and capacity sub whole aircraft are repositioned. January 4th is a normal workday for most of America...

As I recall, the only real schedule changes that we'd have were on the actual holiday (cancellations, usually), itself, but back to normal (with maybe the addition of some extra sections) right after the holidays.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Chuska

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:57 am

MSP-ABQ sees two daily MD-90's for the holidays. This has become a seasonal route with only one flight during the summer and fall but it sees the most frequency during the Christmas/New Year's time frame. I think this happens in several markets and I wonder how Delta comes up with extra aircraft (and crews) to do this for such a short time. MSP-ABQ wont be back again until May 1.

FoxBravo

Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:25 pm

There are always some odd capacity shifts around the holidays. For example, next Saturday there are 3 CR7s and a CR9 on LGA-MSP, a route that otherwise rarely sees anything other than mainline. And a 763 will be operating MSP-LAX again, after a brief absence.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:52 pm

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 3):

Exactly. Christmas/New Years travel is spread over a 2-3 week period and includes a broader mix of travel to visit friends/family for Christmas, leisure/vacation traffic to Sun/Ski destinations, college students on semester break.

Business travel is non-existent for the 2 weeks around the holidays, and very slow in the weeks directly before and after as well. Hence the capacity is filled with a different passenger mix around the holiday. The aircraft freed-up from reduced flights in business markets are either idled or used in leisure-heavy markets.

Hence, you see the LGA Shuttle flights operating at significantly reduced frequency over the last 2 weeks of the year. You'll see larger aircraft and/or additional sections operating on Hub-Florida routes over the holidays too.

Generally, you doesn't see too much widebody up-gauging like around Thanksgiving, outside of the increased usage of the domestic 763s.

The only last minute substitutions you see are some of the college bowl game flights that are added somewhat last minutes as the teams for the bowls aren't determined until early-Dec, within about 4-6 weeks of the games.

ckfred

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:18 pm

It seems like upgauging, regardless of airline, happens for bowl games. I seem to recall AA and UA both upgauging flights on ORD-LAX, the last time Illinois played in the Rose Bowl.

So, might DL do some upgauging on DTW-MCO, since Michigan is playing in the Citrus Bowl on New Year's Day?

rta

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:21 pm

I'd expect some 767s to FLL, MCO, and TPA.

steex

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:39 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 8):
It seems like upgauging, regardless of airline, happens for bowl games. I seem to recall AA and UA both upgauging flights on ORD-LAX, the last time Illinois played in the Rose Bowl.

So, might DL do some upgauging on DTW-MCO, since Michigan is playing in the Citrus Bowl on New Year's Day?

Definitely true of the Super Bowl as well. DL has already loaded larger equipment out of SJC and SFO for the day after the Super Bowl this year, including 753s on SJC-ATL/MSP. They're also flying SJC-JFK on a 752 that morning, a route DL does not typically fly. It's also common to see special nonstop service to the Super Bowl city from the two participant cities.

cschleic

Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:07 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 8):
It seems like upgauging, regardless of airline, happens for bowl games.

Or charters. I recall seeing a UA 747 at PDX for a bowl charter a few years ago.

ckfred

Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm

Quoting steex (Reply 10):
Definitely true of the Super Bowl as well. DL has already loaded larger equipment out of SJC and SFO for the day after the Super Bowl this year, including 753s on SJC-ATL/MSP. They're also flying SJC-JFK on a 752 that morning, a route DL does not typically fly. It's also common to see special nonstop service to the Super Bowl city from the two participant cities.

When the Bears played the Colts in the Super Bowl at Joe Robbie Stadium, AA swapped out some of the 757s on ORD-MIA for 763s.

DL even upgauged flights several years ago, when Michigan played Alabama at Jerry World in Arlington. Besides upgauging DTW-DFW and ATL-DFW, I think DL flew BHM-DFW that weekend. Surprisingly, AA did not upgauge any flights to DFW from DTW or ATL.

TW870

Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:32 pm

The upgauging also seems to vary significantly by year. Last year, for example, MSP-DAY got a 717 that RONed in Dayton most days over the holiday and through the first week of January, and which replaced the usual CR2. I assume that substitution came from block hours freed up from the drastically reduced LGA-BOS 717 shuttle. This year, there is no capacity increase on MSP-DAY. My guess is that it just depends on which markets are hottest on a year to year basis.

DeltaRules

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:21 pm

CMH-ATL has a couple days in early January which see 3 757s. They've run one (or occasionally two) daily fairly consistently for the last couple years after having disappeared for a while, but 3x/day hasn't happened since probably 2004.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

xjramper

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:33 pm

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 14):
They've run one (or occasionally two) daily fairly consistently for the last couple years after having disappeared for a while, but 3x/day hasn't happened since probably 2004.

Heck, I even remember there was a 757 that ran CVG-CMH when CVG actually meant something.
Look ma' no hands!

drerx7

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:57 pm

The only holiday up gauges I remember was at Continental. IAH-MEX/GUA/MGA/SJO would see wide bodies that were idle from Europe...762/764/777 in the days before and after Christmas.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos