Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

factsonly

RE: Jet Airways Announces Partnership With Delta/KLM

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:49 am

Quoting upwardfacing (Reply 99):
DL are a powerhouse precisely because they avoid routes like this.
I do agree with you that this new 9W-KL-DL offering is a substandard one, particularly in those cases when people have to make a domestic connection in India as well as one in Amsterdam.
This is an inconvenient arrangement for Delta customers

You are sending a mixed message here.

I agree DL is a powerhouse, but I do not agree that DL's India product will be substandard or inconvenient in the new cooperation.

9W/DL/KL seem to have thought this cooperation through and the airlines know exactly what they aim to achieve. Much in line with your powerhouse statement. Together these airlines are an even bigger powerhouse, and their initial interest will be just in DEL and BOM. Further destinations can/will be added over time, once the new AMS scissor hub is established.

The biggest markets in India remain DEL and BOM and DL/KL have a very poor service to both since DL pulled from BOM and KL service DEL 1x/daily. So their absolute priority is to reestablish themselves in India's two main markets with convenient connections from their powerhouse markets North America and Europe. Forget the Indian regions, any ticket with a double connection is icing on the cake.

The 9W/DL/KL cooperation will be provide a competitive product to DL/KL/9W pax on:

- SEA-AMS-BOM
- SEA-AMS-DEL
- PDX-AMS-BOM
- PDX-AMS-DEL
- SLC-AMS-BOM
- SLC-AMS-DEL
- MSP-AMS-BOM
- MSP-AMS-DEL
- DTW-AMS-BOM
- DTW-AMS-DEL
- BOS-AMS-BOM
- BOS-AMS-DEL
- JFK-AMS-BOM
- JFK-AMS-DEL - against non-stop AI
- EWR-AMS-BOM - against non-stop UA + AI
- EWR-AMS-DEL - against non-stop UA
- ATL-AMS-BOM
- ATL-AMS-DEL

The 9W/DL/KL cooperation will be provide a competitive product to KL/DL/9W pax on:

- SFO-AMS-BOM
- SFO-AMS-DEL
- LAX-AMS-BOM
- LAX-AMS-DEL
- ORD-AMS-BOM
- ORD-AMS-DEL - against non-stop AI
- IAH-AMS-BOM
- IAH-AMS-DEL
- IAD-AMS-BOM
- IAD-AMS-DEL
- YVR-AMS-BOM
- YVR-AMS-DEL
- YYC-AMS-BOM
- YYC-AMS-DEL
- YEG-AMS-BOM
- YEG-AMS-DEL
- YYZ-AMS-BOM
- YYZ-AMS-DEL - against non-stop AC
- YUL-AMS-BOM
- YUL-AMS-DEL

This is in addition to the endless connections KL/9W will make on:

- Europe-AMS-DEL
- Europe-AMS-BOM

I guarantee you that 9W's A333 to DEL and BOM will run at near 100% load factor at very reasonable yields, once these three airlines start selling seats on all of their individual markets. 9W's TATL network will turn from loss making to very profitable overnight.

The Indian regional cities are not a DL/KL/9W priority in this initial phase.

rutankrd

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:18 am

Quoting factsonly (Reply 100):
I guarantee you that 9W's A333 to DEL and BOM will run at near 100% load factor at very reasonable yields, once these three airlines start selling seats on all of their individual markets. 9W's TATL network will turn from loss making to very profitable overnight.

The Indian regional cities are not a DL/KL/9W priority in this initial phase.

I suggest the low hanging fruit of secondary Indian cities to US will remain better served over Abu Dhabi and the other JET partner !

Really does Delta need a significant presence in this market ?

And i know we have a few a-netters here that think Bangalore is the centre of the Universe.

JOYA380B747

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:28 pm

Quoting factsonly (Reply 100):
The Indian regional cities are not a DL/KL/9W priority in this initial phase
Quoting rutankrd (Reply 101):
And i know we have a few a-netters here that think Bangalore is the centre of the Universe.

I am not one of them at all, but what happens to the one freed 9W A333 because of the EWR-BRU axe. Can it not do a BLR-AMS some time in the future?
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

rutankrd

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:35 pm

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 102):
I am not one of them at all, but what happens to the one freed 9W A333 because of the EWR-BRU axe. Can it not do a BLR-AMS some time in the future?

Almost certain to end up operating into Heathrow replacing to jettisoned over sized 77W

[Edited 2015-12-31 06:35:52]

catiii

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:55 pm

The hypocrisy here by Delta and Richard Anderson is astounding. Railing against the ME3 and using the Etihad stake in Jet Airways and the CBP Pre-clearance facility in Abu Dhabi that Jet was feeding as a primary example of the anti-competitive/pro ME3 stance of the US Government, only to turn around a short 2 years later and get in bed with Jet.

Richard couldn't beat them, so he joined them.

Sightseer

Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:52 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 104):
The hypocrisy here by Delta and Richard Anderson is astounding. [...] using the Etihad stake in Jet Airways [...]

Can you cite that?

Aisak

Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:02 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 68):
Quoting panamair (Reply 61):
You will still earn Skyteam status miles in DL SkyMiles or KL Flying Blue if you buy the 9W-operated flights using the DL or KL-coded flight numbers respectively.

Great to know! Thanks. DL has not however updated its "earning miles with airline partners" site yet.

That's ussually the normal procedure for all airlines, isn't it? Flights purchased under the airline's own code are treated the same being mainline, regional, or codeshare, no matter if the operating carrier is not a partner on the FF scheme.
I can't recall right now any airline/FFP not doing it.

Quoting atal17 (Thread starter):
Delta SkyMiles and KLM Flying Blue members will be eligible to earn and redeem frequent flyer miles on codeshare routes operated by Jet.

And that would be a first. I don't know any FF Program allowing to redeem on codeshared flights, only using the airline code of the carrier. If a Skymiles user wants to redeem on MAD-CDG only the AF flight with the AF code is offered, not the UX* flight.
The PR could mean that 9W is now a SkyMiles partner but only those particular routes are covered, but a better wording could lead to less confusion

Quoting Spiderguy252 (Reply 95):
One of the reasons touted at the time (mid-2000s) was that BRU and Belgium were lacking a mainline full-service carrier after the 2001 collapse of Sabena, hence 9W saw the opportunity to fill the void.

Such a void didn't and doesn't exist in AMS for instance.

Also the BE-IN bilateral was less restricted than the NL-IN one. I remember 9W saying the BRU scissors hub to offer 5 daily destinations in India and other 5 in N.America. It never happened. AMS could only offer 3xdaily services to India, not sure if it was even 14xweekly at the date.
It was crearly better for BRU and SN Brussels at the date. It could open 5 new ports in India and 3 new across the pond (JFK and ORD already covered by AA). Now the market dynamics have clearly changed.

catiii

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:55 pm

Quoting Sightseer (Reply 105):
Can you cite that?

Google is an amazing tool...

http://crankyflier.com/2014/01/30/wh...-so-mad-about-abu-dhabi-having-it/

https://pilotpartisan.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/coats-klobuchar-letter-to-napolitano-5-8-13.pdf (Note the MN and GA Senators on the letter)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/...ce-be-careful-what-you-wish-for/2/

lightsaber

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:38 pm

Quoting global1 (Reply 19):

AMS is certainly playing itself out as the most vibrant Skyteam hub in Europe. CDG does hot hold a candle in ease of use, connectivity, and efficiency.

CDG needs a terminal built for connections and more runways. Ideally, build two more runways, a large terminal, and close ORY. Split hubs mean missed connections.

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 93):
No more 77Ws. 9W is getting rid of them.

A wise move for 9W. The configuration almost bankrupted them. Few airlines are able to sell First Class at a profit in this era of long haul business jets. (People who will pay for first will also pay for privacy.) With new narrowbodies and the NEO and MAX, there is more room for growth with smaller gauge.

DL are a powerhouse precisely because they avoid routes like this. Nonstop flights from the USA to India are costly to operate in terms of both time and money, yet fares are low across all cabins, compared to other routes. As a result, they choose to deploy their assets elsewhere, where they can generate better returns.

DL is wise with their assets. Better a poor partnership than a loss. This deal with 9W is not ideal for anyone, so it strikes me as a fair deal.

I seriously wonder when the Etihad Equity alliance will be invited into Skyteam. I think business wise it makes sense for all parties.

. In this case, not only are there two connections, but the domestic connection at DEL or BOM is sometimes a very long overnight wait for the first flight in the morning.

"Bridge hubbing" is very non-ideal. Passengers try to avoid it due to the risk of missed connections going up with each segment. Which will only make EY's hub in AUH more attractive. Cest la vie. There is no avoiding that.

The European airlines/airports have to come to the realization that the curfews are costing them in business. Lack of European hub expansion forced connections elsewhere and allowed the ME3, in particular EK with their much better business strategy, to become the airlines they are today. In my opinion, QR and EY have not yet achieved the scale necessary. But the Etihad equity alliance is getting EY there and QR is finally making deals (looks like one with 6E is in the works) to ensure long term growth.

The way to compete? First of all India *must* improve their taxes (40% tax on aviation fuel? That is *punitive*. Read Adam Smith's 1776 book on how punitive taxes drive business elsewhere and how business will find *every* work around possible. Same with the tax on aircraft spare parts, just a short sighted tax that forces business elsewhere). India must also improve their processes to enable more international to international connections. Look at the flights enabled at the European hubs and the ME3 hubs to see how necessary this is. We're a decade past the point of debating if this is necessary for operating a healthy airline.

Third, India needs to build up the infrastructure to make their airport experience as international customers expect. This includes lounges, floor space, and in particular catering to female passengers. For it is often the woman who determines which airline the frequent flier miles are accumulated on. India needs to adopt the "Starbucks rule of marketing:" Attract young female customers and everyone else will follow. Right now, the Indian airline and airport strategy is 'unfocused' at best.

If the alliance is able to grow in Indian destinations, the value will grow. In particular when the A321LR enters service allowing DL and KL (and AF, if they get their hubbing act together) to expand the connections. If they don't someone else will (possibly on the American side of the Atlantic). The airline business is evolving, I hope to see all the major participant airlines in this thread evolve fast enough to remain competitive.

Lightsaber
3 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Sightseer

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:40 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 107):

Thanks, but I was asking about EY's stake in 9W being a bone of contention for DL, especially since DL has a JV with VA, another airline partially owned by EY.

Viscount724

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:45 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 108):
CDG needs a terminal built for connections and more runways

Why does CDG need more runways? The 4 parallel runways should be plenty. LHR handled 16% more passenger traffic than CDG in 2014 with only 2 runways.

delimit

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:48 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 104):
The hypocrisy here by Delta and Richard Anderson is astounding. Railing against the ME3 and using the Etihad stake in Jet Airways and the CBP Pre-clearance facility in Abu Dhabi that Jet was feeding as a primary example of the anti-competitive/pro ME3 stance of the US Government, only to turn around a short 2 years later and get in bed with Jet.

There's nothing hypocritical about this, unless you're massively reductive about what's at issue. Delta's only issue with the ME3 is giving them unlimited access to the US. How does cooperating with Jet have anything to do with that?

catiii

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:17 pm

Quoting delimit (Reply 111):
There's nothing hypocritical about this, unless you're massively reductive about what's at issue. Delta's only issue with the ME3 is giving them unlimited access to the US. How does cooperating with Jet have anything to do with that?

It's not being massively reductive, it's the hypocrisy of joining forces with a carrier that 2 years ago you were working stridently against by leading an airline/labor coalition and using it as an example of the ME3's unfair influence. I for one think the DL argument against the ME3 is ridiculous, however the fact remains that DL was traipsing around Capitol Hill and the executive branch lobbying hard against the CBP facility in AUH saying it gave an unfair advantage to the Etihad/Jet scissor hub there at the time and limited DL's ability to compete into India. It's smart business for DL and RA to have come off that view.

delimit

Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:43 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 112):
It's not being massively reductive, it's the hypocrisy of joining forces with a carrier that 2 years ago you were working stridently against by leading an airline/labor coalition and using it as an example of the ME3's unfair influence.

It is. They aren't working against Etihad; they're working against Etihad et al getting unrestricted access to their home market. There's a fairly significant difference.

JOYA380B747

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:11 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 93):

A wise move for 9W. The configuration almost bankrupted them. Few airlines are able to sell First Class at a profit in this era of long haul business jets. (People who will pay for first will also pay for privacy.) With new narrowbodies and the NEO and MAX, there is more room for growth with smaller gauge.

So that will leave Jet with an A330 and B789 fleet (when they start coming) of WBs in the future. I am expecting the 77W phasing out coming in sync with the dreamliner deliveries. Would they replace 333s in AMS ops? In fact what will the 789s be used for by 9W? Replace 77W ops of LHR, HKG, and what? Leased to EY again?
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

catiii

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:54 am

Quoting delimit (Reply 113):

Except they were citing the Jet Airways AUH scissor hub in their arguments...but now that the scissor hub is in AMS it's okay.

MPadhi

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:07 pm

A wise move for 9W. The configuration almost bankrupted them

What was wrong with their 77W's?

lightsaber

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:41 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 110):
Why does CDG need more runways?

1. Expand to compete, in particular with the A321LR.
2. Bring ORY service over (end the split hubs)

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 114):
So that will leave Jet with an A330 and B789 fleet (when they start coming) of WBs in the future. I am expecting the 77W phasing out coming in sync with the dreamliner deliveries.

I am expecting 9W to shrink. EY will also be returning the 77Ws and 9W doesn't need them. With only 4 flying for 9W, I think we'll see a rationalization of routes over to partners (EY, DL, KL). The reality is the very high fuel and spare part taxes of India make it very difficult for India based airlines to make a good profit long haul. With the end of the Brussels hub, 9W will need fewer long haul aircraft.

The 787s do not arrive until 4Q2017. I expect by that time 9W will be profitable enough to be in an expansion phase. However, I won't be surprised to see deliveries either differed or picked up by EY.

The question is will the 789s launch a Y+ product?

We could see the EY leased (9W owned) A332 returned during 77W retirement to slow the decrease in long haul capacity.

But personally, I believe 9W is in a bit of a 'holding pattern' for expansion until consistently profitable and the mid-field terminal at AUH is complete.

Quoting MPadhi (Reply 116):
What was wrong with their 77W's?

They dedicated space (too much) to first class when their target market is low premium. It is *very* difficult in this era of long range business jets to make a profit with first class. In my opinion, most airlines without a 'premium heavy' hub should abandon First class. (This will leave SQ, AF, LH, BA, EK, and a few others, but not that many should keep first class.)

Lightsaber
3 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Viscount724

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:57 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 117):
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 110):
Why does CDG need more runways?

1. Expand to compete, in particular with the A321LR.

I see no need to move ORY flights to CDG. ORY is more convenient than CDG and ORY destinations (mainly domestic and French overseas territories) cater largely to O&D traffic. I doubt many passengers have to connect between CDG and ORY.

alfa164

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:49 am

Quoting Aisak (Reply 106):
And that would be a first. I don't know any FF Program allowing to redeem on codeshared flights, only using the airline code of the carrier. If a Skymiles user wants to redeem on MAD-CDG only the AF flight with the AF code is offered, not the UX* flight.

Dl has, in the past, allowed Skymiles to be used on DL-coded , AM-flown flights. I don't know if that is still doable.

AF has also allowed Flying Blue miles to be used on AF-coded, OAL-flown (Finnair comes to mind) flights. Again, I don't know if that is still the case - but there are some precedents for it.

I suppose that, until computer systems are fully integrated, it might be easier for the mileage-hlding-airline to utilize codeshare space for award travel. Perhaps someone in tha part of the industry can let us know for sure.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

mercure1

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:05 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 117):

If AF closed up ORY and move everything to CDG, they would in one quick move hand over most of their French domestic business to LCCs and other carriers.

Other airlines would swoop in (there is slot shortage at ORY today) and happily back fill such flights at ORY.

It would end up like AZ experience in Milan with majority of local traffic having preference for closer ORY while AF is stuck at CDG.

It really would be a disaster as I see it and weaken affinity for Air France in its home market.
mercure f-wtcc

EddieDude

Re: Jet Airways Announces Partnership With Delta/KLM

Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:05 pm

I thought this thread would have been closed by now but it seems that the A.net overhaul has not included the automatic closing of threads after a certain period of inactivity.

My question is whether someone knows when DL will include Jet Airways as a SkyMiles partner and whether it would be a Tier One partner or lower. I assume DL will want its passengers to also earn miles when flying Jet. The second question is if this will only be possible when flying BOM-AMS, DEL-AMS or YYZ-AMS, or whether it will be a general mileage accrual/redemption agreement.

On another related topic, I note AF flies CDG-BLR. Would it also make sense to have 9W or KL launch a BLR-AMS service (without ending the AF CDG-BLR service) to also include BLR in the one-stop India-North America/Europe JV?
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

n515cr

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:34 pm

EddieDude wrote:
I thought this thread would have been closed by now but it seems that the A.net overhaul has not included the automatic closing of threads after a certain period of inactivity.

My question is whether someone knows when DL will include Jet Airways as a SkyMiles partner and whether it would be a Tier One partner or lower. I assume DL will want its passengers to also earn miles when flying Jet. The second question is if this will only be possible when flying BOM-AMS, DEL-AMS or YYZ-AMS, or whether it will be a general mileage accrual/redemption agreement.

On another related topic, I note AF flies CDG-BLR. Would it also make sense to have 9W or KL launch a BLR-AMS service (without ending the AF CDG-BLR service) to also include BLR in the one-stop India-North America/Europe JV?

I've been wondering the same. Interestingly, 9W has earning info on their site for DL flights, which appears to be effective Aug 17, 2016: http://www.jetairways.com/en/eu/jetpriv ... delta.aspx

n515cr

Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:19 pm

Didn't see this latest press release posted elsewhere, but it appears they're expanding the codeshare, including full FF reciprocity.
http://news.delta.com/delta-air-france- ... -amsterdam

Key takeaways:
- DL and 9W members will also enjoy network-wide, reciprocal mileage earning and redemption privileges.
- Upon gov approval, this will include access to 20 onward destinations in India served by Jet Airways. New cities include Calicut, Coimbatore, Goa, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Mangalore, Pune, Trivandrum and Vadodara

Looks like Oct 30 is the date to watch!

EddieDude

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:36 pm

I am assuming Jet Airways will become a Tier 1 SkyMiles partner once the respective mileage accrual and redemption agreements become effective.
Upcoming flights:

Sightseer

Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:22 pm

EddieDude wrote:
I am assuming Jet Airways will become a Tier 1 SkyMiles partner once the respective mileage accrual and redemption agreements become effective.

Tier 1 would be great, although I believe that level is typically reserved for JV partners or airlines in which DL has an equity stake. Regardless, it's nice to see earn & burn on a network-wide scale.

EddieDude

Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:20 pm

Sightseer wrote:
I believe that level is typically reserved for JV partners or airlines in which DL has an equity stake

Good point. Considering however that this is a very comprehensive codeshare that finally gets DL better access to India, they might as well consider treating 9W as a Tier One mileage partner. Hopefully!
Upcoming flights:

Rishul93

Re: RE: Jet Airways Announces Partnership With Delta/KLM

Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:09 am

EddieDude wrote:
Quoting ndhair37 (Reply 91):I also assume DL will be getting rid of their BOM extension from AMS?
They already did.

Quoting ndhair37 (Reply 91):filter people down to B77Ws or A333s at AMS.

I'm sorry, but where is it mentioned that 9W is getting rid of the 77Ws?

The 77W will be (atleast by future schedules) the mainstay of the 9W long haul fleet

3X LHR System
3X AMS System
2X BOM DXB/SIN
1X BOM HKG

Thats 9 / 10 planes. + 4 333s + 4 332s.

CaliguyNYC

Re: RE: Jet Airways Announces Partnership With Delta/KLM

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:32 pm

747megatop wrote:
Quoting global1 (Reply 14):non-stop service to India from ATL or JFK is not out of the question.
Given the wide range of 1 stop options for NYC - India and 2 non stops NYC - DEL/BOM i don't see how DL would re-attempt JFK-BOM non stop or for that matter JFK-DEL. I don't see DL being bold enough to resurrect the ATL either because i very much doubt if the premium market exists. I think we have just about seen the end of new US - India non stops being launched with the last one being the DEL-SFO nonstop by AI. At the most, we may see DEL-IAD by AI and that's about it. Only significantly improved economics by a more fuel efficient aircraft may lead to other non-stops being tried; I think DL will probably concentrate on making more inroads into the Chinese market as far as Asia is concerned.

I actually think DL or 9W should restart JFK-BOM nonstop (once they have their JV in place). Fact remains the ME3 fill their F and J cabins ex BOM and a good chunk of those pax are going to the US. US-India non stops need connections on both sides (which is what the last DL JFK-BOM flight lacked). AI's nonstops all land in India well in time to make connections all over India. DL/9W can do something similar (say 4pm departure from JFK and 4pm arrival at BOM). Not to mention many people, but not all, much prefer the one long flight so you can sleep. Connecting in Europe after 7 hours at what is 2am EST to then get on another 8 hour flight is HELL. Plus most of these flights from Europe arrive too late into BOM to connect to smaller towns. You cannot compete against the ME3 without options. With DL being strong with corporates in NYC and 9W strong in BOM, that's the nonstop they should have in their portfolio. Btw JFK-BOM-SIN would probably be one of the fastest connections for Skyteam team fans out of JFK if all the flights are timed right. I'd also like to see 9W start EWR-AMS (it's the too important of a US destination from India) and start San Jose, CA to CDG to BOM. I think SJC-CDG is a better year round destination than SJC-FRA and the Indian community in SF Bay Area will fill the flight during winter and be good back fill during summer. This way 9W would fly to the three most important NA destinations - YYZ, EWR and SF Bay Area.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos