Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

liftsifter

RE: Homeless People Take Over LGA

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:54 pm

Quoting thekorean (Reply 6):
City needs to provide better, safer shelter and this would not be happening.

Huh? I don't know of any city the size of New York that has the ability to house all of its homeless in any way.

I think the sad part of this entire thread is that we're discussing what a 'nuisance' these homeless people are at an airport which we paid hundreds of dollars to fly out of. I just think we all need to be mindful of how matters like this are addressed, especially on a public forum like this...
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

ckfred

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:14 pm

One time, a homeless person was panhandling at the train station in the remote parking lots at ORD. I thought, "How did he get out here?"

First, he would have to get to ORD, probably on the CTA Blue Line. Then, he would have to make his way up to a terminal from the CTA station, and then up to the walkway over the access road. Then, he would have to go down to the airport train and ride out to remote parking.

While the City of Chicago can't keep people from hanging out at ORD, the days of where people could solicit from passengers are long gone, whether it's homeless people or employees of a not-for-profit group. ORD is just too crowded.

But, I wondered if remote parking was such a good place to panhandle. People are either intent on catching a train to their terminal, probably after driving around for some time trying to find a decent parking spot, while pulling or carrying a bag. Or they are fumbling for keys and money while pulling or carrying a bag and looking for their cars.

I only saw that once, and I assume that either the City "encouraged" him to move elsewhere, or he discovered that people who are about to pay for parking aren't in the mood to hand out money.

Skyguy

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:37 pm

In some countries, like in India, you need a printed confirmation of your reservation to enter the airport terminal building and you can also not enter more than 4 or 5 hours in advance of your flight time. This is primarily for security reasons so that people do not loiter around and basically lounge around in the terminal using the facilities, they are very strict about it, the airport is for travelers only, people coming to drop you off and say goodbye have to leave you at the door of the terminal which is manned by security personnel.
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

flyingturtle

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:05 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 57):
Minneapolis used to bus their homeless to Denver...

The most powerful weapon, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy says, is the NMP field. The Not My Problem field.

In the 19th century, Swiss municipalities paid people travel and immigration to the United States when they would renounce any other support.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

richierich

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:12 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 11):
I am generally sensitive to the homeless. My ex-wife worked for a homeless charity in Chicago. But I don't think the PA's main goal should be to "provide them services". Their main focus should be the clean, safe and efficient operation of the airport which does not include providing services for the homeless, it should include removing people that are squatting in publicly owned facilities such as this. Connecting them with the plethora of city services and private organizations that are properly equipped to help these people is good but I am guessing most of these homeless know where to go, they just prefer the airport. I can't blame them, I would too.

Yes, many of the homeless have mental health issues and/or substance abuse issues. Some are temporarily homeless due to unfortunate economic situations. But there are also many that choose to be homeless for a variety of reasons.

I completely agree...
I find this article very sad...I see homeless people, almost always men, sleeping on the steps in Grand Central and all around NYC, so it does not surprise me that so many call LGA their "home." The NY Post article refers to them as "bums" and "derelicts," which is sort of insulting, but it epitomizes how marginalized they are from mainstream society. These are HUMAN BEINGS and deserve dignity and respect - at the very least, a warm, safe place to stay.

I don't want them at LGA because I don't think airport travelers should have to deal with them...I don't want them at LGA because I really don't think that is the best place for them.
None shall pass!!!!

ODwyerPW

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 15):
I have never understood get why this is such an issue at NE Corridor airports.

Because the NE corridor is very cold and wet in the winter. Homeless occupying Penn Station and bathing at sinks has been going on for at least 25 years. I saw it plenty of times in those days when I frequented Amtrak into NYC.
learning never stops.

Clipper136

Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:31 pm

There are homeless people in almost every public airport, bus station or train station in this country.

Not all of them are "bums", although some, usually mentally ill, do not take care of them selves particularly well. There are some who are just down on their luck (finances, job, relationship, addiction). Some are families with children. Some are young professionals with substance abuse problems. They are a very broad spectrum of society, too broad for the very narrow bush that some here seem to paint them with.

Some are clean and very hard to detect as they don't fit the "typical mold" of a homeless person. I'm sure many of you have encountered a homeless individual, but had no idea that they were homeless. As noted above, many do work and sometimes loose their jobs because of homelessness.

At my airport there are homeless people in clean attire, suits and casual business attire even, with roller bags and luggage. Some even have boarding passes sticking out of their pocket or in their hands. They are only detected when observed to be in the terminal over a period of days or weeks. Some leave for a while and then return, some watch patrols and learn to move about the terminals and levels to avoid being seen in one place for too long. This is a problem everywhere.

The reasons for homelessness are incredibly complex and varied. The solutions to homelessness is even more complex and varied than the problem.
You can't beat the Experience.

OB1504

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:28 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 3):
I encountered similar activity at MIA, many years ago.
The bathrooms in the baggage claim area were being used to bathe, in the nude.
Unacceptable.

Fortunately, I haven't encountered this in the past three years I've been working there, even when I leave work at 3 AM. The airport has really cleaned up its act lately.

Quoting ua900 (Reply 28):
Ok guys, that's a sad story. Question: Why don't they just buy an AA Club membership and eat, sleep, shower in the lounge? Hot shower should beat a cold bathroom sink, no? And with all the food and beverages they could consume you'd figure it would be worth it since they're hanging out at LGA a lot as it is? Why not become a paying customer instead of always lingering out on the fringes?

The image of homeless people hanging out in the Admirals Club would be terrible for AA's business. They would probably institute a requirement that a boarding pass must be shown to be allowed entry.

zippyjet

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:39 pm

My question: Has crime at LGA gone up? It is discerning to run into homeless folks at an airport. Sadly the resources for this neglected population are not the greastest. Honestly I don't have the answers. I'm more understanding when weather is severe, too hot, sub zero, storms etc. I do feel TSA, airport police and the contracted rent-a-cops should ask for ID or purpose for being at the airport. This may be politically incorrect and profiling but, in this day and age need I elaborate? When I started with FL at BWI back in 2002 there was a public lounge eating area outside of D pier security and it was a magnet for folks that were shall we say not taking a trip by air nor employed at the facility. Since it's been taken away and hard style prison benches take their place. To end on this, if TSA, rent-a-cops keep checking us airport employees and they should then step up to the plate and check out those who appear not to belong. Sadly you never know. At BWI near the Light Rail there are a couple "regulars." They haven't caused trouble or hustled anyone to the best of my knowlege. Interesting how this is ongoing at LGA with your wealthy business power clientelle that use the dated facility for their convenience. BOS-LGA-DCA shuttles.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

ORDTLV2414

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:14 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 1):
PHL, prior to 9/11 homeless were all over PHL even during the day.

still exists, saw a homeless person asking for money in baggage claim last week.

Homeless people need social services, help from the government and the understanding of society. That being said, an airport is not an apporite place for a homeless person to live. Airports should only be inhabited by those who work there and passengers, anyone else complicates the security services ability to find suspicious people and identify behavior that is out of the norm.

ikramerica

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:50 pm

Quoting CARST (Reply 43):

In 7 years it's gotten worse. And it's not mentioned by his administration. It's ignored.

The subprime issue was created as a bipartisan effort to give everyone a house. It was a major focus of bush's 2003 state of the Union and was overseen by democrats via expansion of Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, FHA, VA and other loan programs loosening criteria. Obama was a senator and advocate.

Everyone owned that problem. But it didn't lead to rampant HOMELESSNESS. It led to losing houses and becoming renters, something this administration as facilitated by helping to remove inventory from the market by transferring huge numbers of foreclosures to crony capitalist investors/donors converting them into rentals. This has had the dual impact of driving housing prices back up and moving a whole generation into the permanent renter class.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

zippyjet

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:38 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 87):

You think the ruling class/elites criminal class cares? Both parties have let us down. Besides letting illegals la de da into this country, back in the day Reagan emptied the Puzzle Houses and the homeless with mental issues increased exponentially. And the problems with the current administration have added to this sad problem. And for you folk in NYC I understand your current mayor is a real peach. But this is the stuff for another time, another day, another forum.   . I'm a lifelong Baltimorean; only time I'm downtown is when it's absolute necessitty as the streets are like Beirut circa 1983. Basically I see the harbor by flyinb by on my way to I-95 when my normal route to BWI is jacked up. Sad state of affairs. And it makes one long for the days of being bugged by the culties and Harry Krishnas. Sad that when one flies this is another issue that could sully the experience. And you know what's going to happen? Knee jerk reaction where if you are coming to a major airport for spotting with your luck you'll get the criminal treatment shakedown, what are you doing here bit. Then on your way out the door feeling like a criminal you get hustled by one of the street folk.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

hz747300

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:29 am

Quoting travelin man (Reply 47):
L.A. has a very big (and growing) homeless problem, but I've never noticed any at LAX. Probably because almost all the shops, restaurants, etc. are post-security at all the terminals.

I didn't notice any either, until the one time we had a rental car and parked at TBIT first to check before returning the car. The minute we were parked, we were surrounded by five homeless people with trolleys asked to be able to trolley our luggage to the terminal for $20. It was three of us with six suitcases, we refused, all but one went away quietly. The last one followed us closely and kept dropping his price the closer we got to the terminal, before swearing at us for wasting his time once we reached the entrance.

They are there, but not in the terminals.
Keep on truckin'...

vfw614

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:20 am

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 44):
Homeless people should *not* be allowed in airports.
No ticket, no access. Not only are they dirty, but they ruin the experience for anyone else. Visitor flying into the US, and you land and have dirty bathrooms because people live in the airport? That's quite the first impression....
--
It's also funny to read people here post their personal economic philosophy on the situation. This is an aviation board, not a political one.

So that does not apply to yourself, but only to those who have a different opinion than you?

jfklganyc

Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:02 am

Apparently the PA didn't like the bad press

Ticketed pax only going forward

http://nypost.com/2015/12/18/homeles...a-to-come-to-an-end-port-authority

bahadir

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:38 am

Rich people of airliners.net complaining about people who are homeless, who have fallen into hard times. SMH
Airports are "public" properties last time I checked. It would have been nice to have some level of compassion and say "Glad they are not freezing outside"..
Earthbound misfit I

wjcandee

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:45 am

Quoting bahadir (Reply 65):
Rich people of airliners.net complaining about people who are homeless, who have fallen into hard times.

That's not what the case is here in NYC. These are generally not folks who are otherwise-normal but have fallen on hard times. These are the mentally-ill, generally, that we no longer hospitalize or supervise. These are indeed public facilities, but the mistake that we made in the 70s was to say that the rights of these few trumped the rights of the many, and we allowed it to ruin everything public in the city. Why should a Mom travelling alone with her toddlers have to avoid an airport bathroom because it is smelly, disgusting, and perceived to be dangerous, not because the airport authority doesn't care but because it isn't allowed to say "No." to certain behaviors? Sorry, but it is absolutely-appropriate (and courts finally have held that it's absolutely-appropriate) to impose standards of conduct in public facilities that go beyond the "Is he a danger to himself or others" standard. There's no reason I should have to look at a naked guy bathing himself from a sink when I go into an airport men's room, or have to step over or around his stuff, or have to keep one eye (but only one eye) on him because he's growling at me while I use the urinal?

If a pizza place, a location of public accomodation, can have a sign that says, "No shoes. No shirt. No service.", then similar minimal restrictions ought to be allowed on publicly-owned premises.

The PA has plenty of homeless outreach, and there are places where these folks can get help or back on their medication if they want to. But because they are mentally ill and we refuse to intervene when they fall back into patterns after not taking their medication, they are just usually left to do things and behave in a way that they wouldn't if they were on their meds. And if we don't reach out, they are not going to have the presence of mind to get back on their meds on their own. It's actually a good thing that now if they show up and try to sleep at the airport, the first interaction with them will not be "Get out", but "Won't you let us help?". Then they stand a chance of being able to take care of themselves.

[Edited 2015-12-18 23:53:53]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos