Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

"hospitalised After Bag Falls On Head."

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:01 am

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...d-locker-at-heathrow-a3138306.html

Get well soon.
The report does not make clear if the man was seated or standing when the heavy bag struck his head, he was treated as a Priority case. Perhaps the lock failed or had not been properly shut, some of those carry ons are packed full.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

PlymSpotter

RE: "hospitalised After Bag Falls On Head."

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:07 am

This happened to my mother years ago, so this gentleman has my sympathies.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

SCQ83

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:15 am

My favourite is passengers insisting to put their (glass) bottles of alcohol bought on the Duty Free on the overhead compartment.

sw733

Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:40 pm

Oh gosh. I remember flying ORD-LHR, also on BA, back in 2004ish when a (luckily small) bag fell out of the overhead and hit a guy on the head whilst we were halfway down our takeoff roll. He seemed fine, but obviously could have been a lot worse. I still think about that whenever I see an overhead bin pop open on its own. Scary stuff!

EWRandMDW

Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:38 pm

I recall something like this happened to the American TV product pitchman Billy Mays on a US Airways flight arriving in PHL (maybe it was departing PHL?). A bag fell onto his head from the overhead bin. He was hospitalized and within a fairly short time died. I don't recall if the impact directly caused his passing or if it exacerbated an existing condition.

Shuttle12T

Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:51 pm

Witnessed a similar occurrence when disembarking a KLM operated 737 flight a few weeks ago, bag belonging to guy sat in row behind me was dropped on guy in front when he opened the overhead locker, said person was alright, but failed to see the funny side of of, although a fair few people around us did.
Don't miss a trip report: https://voyagereport.wordpress.com

DocLightning

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:16 pm

The cover photo on the article is spectacular. Wow.

Anyone know what kind of aircraft this was?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

zippyjet

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Can't get to the story thread where I'm at. So was this before, during or post flight? Not to sound cliche overhead stuff actually shifts in flight. I hope the passenger is OK. With priority attention to concussions (sp) getting hit on the head is no laughing matter or something to dismiss. Regarding duty free alcohol: Some are packed better than transplant organs but, many are in flimsy boxes. Put that together with flight and you have an interesting combination. Several years ago, I went on a short cruise with the destination of Grand Turk Island. It was Conch Shell city. Conch were plentiful like the tribbles in the Star Treck episode. Being on a Champagne Taste/Lager Beer budget had to get some gifts. Thank you very much. Had a rolling 22 and fit the Conch in them. I pack light and wash my bottoms in the sink. Came within an inch of just schlepping it on and chucking it overhead. Trip was MIA-ATL-BWI (plane change). It was raining like Noah's arc in Hotlanta and our takeoff was shall I say spirited and some light crap tipped out the overhead bins 737-700. Had I chucked my bag overhead it would have surely fell out and down would come bag zippyjet funky laundry , conchs and all. I decided at the last minute to check it as I had to carry my CPAP. It was the Conch or CPAP for going under. So, my funky laundry and conch got checked. Being an employee I'd really feel like a schmuck and super bad if my "zippybag" took a tumble. It was also on it's last leg. It would be another legend for all the wrong reasons then FL now WN. Since I got bitten by a Chihuahua at the ticket counter fell off a Jetway, wardrobe malfunction split sweatshop made polyester pants I needed a bag malfunction/injury inflicting bag like Bill Gates needs additional millions!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

PatrickZ80

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 6):
The cover photo on the article is spectacular. Wow.

Anyone know what kind of aircraft this was?

The article says it was on a flight from London to Bangkok. BA uses the 773 on the LHR-BKK route. However, the picture with the open overhead compartments looks like an A320 to me.

DocLightning

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:28 pm

Quoting PatrickZ80 (Reply 8):
The article says it was on a flight from London to Bangkok. BA uses the 773 on the LHR-BKK route. However, the picture with the open overhead compartments looks like an A320 to me.

That is an A320 but it did not say it was a photo of the aircraft involved. Just that it's a pic of passengers getting their bags after a flight.

I have not heard that the 777 bins are prone to inadvertent opening.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AAlaxfan

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:12 pm

I feel sorry for the man, but people still insist on carrying everything onto an airplane. When overhead storage is used properly again, these things won't happen.

And yes, airlines have a right to charge baggage fees, however, this was an international flight, so a least one "heavy duty" bag per person should've been checked. There was no reason for a "heavy duty" bag to be in the overhead.

if it was a heavy Duty Free bag, it should've been under the seat. Blame is totally on the owner of the bag.
My favorite airport is the one I'm flying to! :airplane:

litz

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:59 pm

This is why I always try for a window seat (plus I like looking out the window) ... no way for bags to fall out of the overhead bins on top of me.

This does bring up an oft-discussed point on these forums, and that's the ever growing size and weight of carryon bags.

Those bins DO have limits for size and weight, and it would not be surprising to find those limits are often exceeded by today's bags and packing styles, forced by checked baggage fees, and the desire of many fliers to avoid them.

DocLightning

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:20 pm

Oh, and I had this happen to me once, too, on a NW A320 landing in SFO. I was 20 with lighting-fast reflexes and managed to deflect the bag into the aisle with no injury.

I should have faked it, maybe gotten some free airfare from NW.  
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

KELPkid

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:29 pm

Maybe when losses from lawsuits from getting clobbered by overhead baggage > profits from bag fees, airlines will start checking 1 or 2 bags for free again. One can always hope   My condolences to the injured party   
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

zippyjet

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:42 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 13):

We still do    Not getting off thread but, I'd like to have the airlines including mine start charging for golf clubs, surfing, snow boards, skis, bikes etc. Usually if you can afford the luxury of golfing or the other afore-mentioned sports you could afford to pony up to take them on your next flight.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

ArmitageShanks

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Quoting EWRandMDW (Reply 4):
I don't recall if the impact directly caused his passing or if it exacerbated an existing condition

I think it was all the cocaine.

sw733

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:52 pm

I recall something like this happened to the American TV product pitchman Billy Mays on a US Airways flight arriving in PHL (maybe it was departing PHL?). A bag fell onto his head from the overhead bin. He was hospitalized and within a fairly short time died. I don't recall if the impact directly caused his passing or if it exacerbated an existing condition.

Yep, I remember that. But they linked it to heart disease that was exacerbated by drug use.

european742

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:57 pm

I personally have seen overhead lockers open on take off a few times and this article confirms why I am all for making the hand baggage sizes like they were a few years ago, only 5kg. Back then we said to passengers you cannot carry any more than that on safety grounds so when it was doubled to 10kg, where did that argument go? Also we had far fewer passengers who abused the allowance. Back when I was on check-in I had a passenger attempt to take 27kg on as hand luggage!! Now let's imagine if that bag in that article fell on a small child!!! I also often saw passengers bring hand luggage that's too big for them to manage and expect the crew to stow it for them or carry it up or down the steps. Sorry but I will NOT risk the crew putting their back out because YOU decided to bring that. I also know of a friend who was on a Lagos flight and someone brought on 7 pieces of hand luggage and said to the crew, "Everywhere is full find somewhere to put this", his reply was, "Errr no you decided to bring on far more than your allowance, you find somewhere to put it"

stlgph

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:20 pm

Quoting Shuttle12T (Reply 5):
said person was alright, but failed to see the funny side of of, although a fair few people around us did.

there isn't a funny side to something like this.
such an incident can be lethal.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

trent1000

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:41 am

A few years ago, our QF flight BNE to SYD was delayed because a lady had suffered facial injuries when overhead bin contents fell on her after gate arrival & opening the bin. Apparently, she was taken away for immediate medical care and staff had to clean up the blood before we could board. Yuck.

Do 787, 350, 380, 748 bins have a better design & locking mechanism to lessen such accidents?

TWA772LR

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:48 am

This is why I told people to gate check their bags when that was my duty. I would tell them, "Would you rather get hit in the head by an 8kg bag, or a 15kg bag?" They would fight up until that point, or I'd have to say, "You can try to shove your bag in the bin. You can try to slam the door shut. You can break the door, and the flight will be cancelled for maintenance because there aren't any A380 overhead bin doors here in IAH."
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

cschleic

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:43 am

I've often wondered when I hear things sliding around, if they could push open a bin.

[Edited 2015-12-16 20:45:08]

bristolflyer

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:27 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 2):
My favourite is passengers insisting to put their (glass) bottles of alcohol bought on the Duty Free on the overhead compartment.

Where would you suggest they put them?

I recall an overhead bin opening up on takeoff roll one time and my Dad standing up to close it. He got shouted at by an FA pretty quickly. Would think that the overall risk of someone standing up is less than a bag falling and hurting some unsuspecting person.
Fortune favours the brave

Motorhussy

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:55 am

I was on a NW 742 from JFK to SNN in December 1983. While ascending out over Jamaica Bay the overhead locker burst open above me and a hard slimline briefcase flew out and coshed me across the top of my head knocking me out briefly. The case was followed by a full length Matrix'esque leather coat which engulfed me and was the cause of the locker bursting. It was crap. I was a minor travelling by myself and had no adult to stick up for me. The airline pretty much downplayed it. There was a lot of blood.

I totally empathise.
come visit the south pacific

chrisair

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:30 am

A woman on a WN flight of mine got a nasty cut on her head when a bag fell out of the bin after someone opened it at the gate. More concerning: the person whose bag it was, just walked off like it happens all the time. Go figure.

I've been hit before. It's not pleasant. Thankfully I didn't need any repairs to my head.

N1120A

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:16 am

I once got conked in the head by a hardside plastic suitcase. Not fun, but not crazy either. I can see how a metal bag or the wrong part of a bag could really do some damage.

He was hit in the head a few days before he died. I believe he even gave an interview, saying how well he was feeling afterward. His death was heart disease combined with a fairly large amount of cocaine.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

european742

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Quoting bristolflyer (Reply 22):
Where would you suggest they put them?

Under the seat in front?

bennett123

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Surely the best place for anything valuable or fragile.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos