Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryanrap1
Topic Author

WN Seat Bookings

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Does anyone have the capability to see how full a certain flight on a certain day for the future is looking?

AWACSooner

RE: WN Seat Bookings

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:31 pm

Yah...but it's probably proprietary information that will get an employee fired if they divulge it...with ANY airline.

apfpilot

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:51 pm

Expert flyer shows this info for many airlines, but I don't believe WN is included as they don't use GDS for bookings. Often with other airlines I've just called the reservation number and they've told me (when I was looking for upgrades) I'd try the same with WN.
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

jetblue1965

Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Quoting apfpilot (Reply 2):
but I don't believe WN is included as they don't use GDS for bookings.

I just checked - they're not. The flights are listed with no associated inventory numbers (e.g. Y5 B4)

Quoting apfpilot (Reply 2):
Often with other airlines I've just called the reservation number and they've told me (when I was looking for upgrades) I'd try the same with WN.

They usually refuse to give loading info until about 2-3 days from the flight. Even then, agents are instructed to just say "sold out" instead of "overbooked". Sometimes they'll even more vague with terms like "not looking so good".

The availability (or lack of) WGA fares are usually a proxy for your chances of standby travel (if that's your goal). WN is particularly hard to guestimate since there's no GDS info or no seat maps to infer anything.

joeljack

Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Change the booking number to 8 people on southwest.com. If it still shows available, you know there are at least 8 open seats on the plane.

thegoldenargosy

Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Quoting joeljack (Reply 4):

Change the booking number to 8 people on southwest.com. If it still shows available, you know there are at least 8 open seats on the plane.

Airlines overbook

Aeroflot777

Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:34 pm

Doesn't account for overbooking - which is standard practice across the board.

enilria

Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:39 pm

Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 5):

Airlines overbook
Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 6):

Doesn't account for overbooking - which is standard practice across the board.

OTOH, if they allow a booking of 8 that means they expect there to be at least 8 seats left. So, it considers the expectation for no-shows vs. overbooking.

zippyjet

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:31 pm

Depends when and where you are flying. For Non Rev airline employees there's the ZED website. Though it does not give actual numbers they have the smiley face icons Green-Good, Yellow-Ehhh and Red: Faghet About It. Also depending on weather and other factors, what was once a landslide easy flight can become a full one. Also what's happening at your intended destination affects seat availability or lach thereof. As long as the economy doesn't go really south the days of Maytag Repairman flights are shrinking. A time where a lot of people are caught by surprise is the period from Valentine's through after Easter Passover as some school is always on Winter, Spring or Mid Term Break especially the Northeast, North NJ up through New England always has holidays and schools off. So load factors are extrmely high.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

jeffh747

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:56 pm

FWIW whenever I fly American or JetBlue or any other airline that allows assigned seats, and I want to see the amount of seats left, I just do a dummy booking and see the seat map on the reservations page.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

Aeroflot777

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 7):
OTOH, if they allow a booking of 8 that means they expect there to be at least 8 seats left. So, it considers the expectation for no-shows vs. overbooking.

I routinely book myself flights, a lot of them a day or a few prior to departure. Booking engines and seat maps show no seats available and then day of departure there are plenty of seats open. Sometimes it's the other way around, engines say 9+ seats open up to a few hours before departure. Then during boarding turns out we're packed like sardines, even on flights that have no non-revs and heading towards obscure destinations.

Booking engines and seat maps are not a reliable indicator of loads these days, not by a long-shot. Too many other factors involved these days on the computer back-end.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos