Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777way
Topic Author

Indian Movie On Pan Am Air Hostess Of 86 Hijack

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:53 pm

its about Neerja Bhanot who was killed in the 1986 hijacking at KHI, the hijack seems to be filmed well on a PA liveried 747, not sure if in english but a dubbed version might be out too, opens 19 February in cinemas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neerja_Bhanot

WNCrew

RE: Indian Movie On Pan Am Air Hostess Of 86 Hijack

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:52 pm

That looks so intense and well executed!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

aloha73g

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:58 pm

Looks like a well done film. I hope I will have the chance to see it.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

777way
Topic Author

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:54 pm

The trailer seems to show a Pakistani man as one of the terrorists in native dress, that never happened, all four were Arabs in fake Airport security force uniforms. Hope they havent added their own narrative for the home crowd.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3igp61

[Edited 2015-12-20 16:17:09]

sq_ek_freak

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:33 am

I'm definitely going out of my way to see this film, her story has always fascinated me and am glad its being done some justice with what seems to be a high budget well done film. How she managed the situation and what she and her crew did at 23 (most of the crew were in their early 20s) is just amazing. I think I read somewhere that she had told the pilots to use the hatch and leave the cockpit so at least the plane physically couldn't leave Karachi, knowing full well the implications for herself. And how she protected her passengers on board, hiding passports and such - a good friend of my brother's was on that flight on their way home to NY...he was a child and was with his mum and dad. Mum didn't make it out alive, she was shot in front of him and he doesn't really remember the event/he blocks it out (he still obviously has emotional trauma from it) but the dad still speaks so highly of all the Pan Am crew on that day. He recalls that when all hell broke loose one of the cabin crew saw him, crawled to him took the kid (my brother's friend) and dragged him to another crew who literally threw him down the emergency exit...
Keep Discovering

777way
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:39 am

Wiki article states only one shute deployed, find it hard to believe.

All eight cabin crew were Indian women.

[Edited 2015-12-20 16:44:14]

sq_ek_freak

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:52 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 5):

Wiki article states only one shute deployed, find it hard to believe.

All eight cabin crew were Indian women.

Not really concerned whether you find it hard to believe or not mate, I tend to believe the people I know (only socially, admittedly) rather than concern myself with doubters on an online forum. You shared a link that I found compelling for personal reasons which I then I laid out, what you do with it is your own prerogative I suppose  

Also I don't see the relevance of the crew's nationality or gender to my story, I didn't specify the gender or nationality of any of the crew because guess what, it was never specified to me nor do I think it would have added or detracted from anything.

Regardless, thanks for the link. Have a good day ya.
Keep Discovering

777way
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:38 am

What got your panties twisted? I was wondering if it was some lapse on the airlines part, 9 shutes not working? and how it would pan out in some other emergency situation had it occurred on this aircraft.

For crew I mentioned it because being a foreign carrier I would imagine that there might be a mix of crew some Indian some American including men, thats why the gender bit too.

Have safe flights.

VTORD

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:47 am

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 4):

Don't expect good acting....with Sonam Kapoor as the lead protagonist (per the Wiki page of the movie). I cannot believe they couldn't find somebody else for the lead!!!

audian

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:24 pm

Do they have an English version of this movie?

klwright69

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:45 pm

I remember this event, and how the flight attendant alerted the flight crew to escape. A true miracle most of the passengers survived the ordeal.

ClassicLover

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:07 pm

Quoting audian (Reply 9):
Do they have an English version of this movie?

Are you unable to read subtitles?

I think it's wonderful that this movie is coming out. I have always admired Neerja for her act of heroism under the circumstances. I'm looking forward to seeing this!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

audian

Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 11):

I am asking about watching it in the theater.

Not just hanging out in the couch waiting months to watch it online almost for free.

[Edited 2015-12-21 15:23:57]

larshjort

Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:40 am

Quoting audian (Reply 12):

I am asking about watching it in the theater.

Not just hanging out in the couch waiting months to watch it online almost for free.[Edited 2015-12-21 15:23:57]

Lots of movies are shown in theaters all around the world with subtitles. Not every country is dubbing the movies like Germany   
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

aloha73g

Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:07 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 7):
What got your panties twisted? I was wondering if it was some lapse on the airlines part, 9 shutes not working? and how it would pan out in some other emergency situation had it occurred on this aircraft.

From what I have read, the hijackers moved all the passengers to center of the plane over the wings. No passengers were near the front or rear doors.

From wikipedia:

Quote:
...During the stalemate, one of the flight attendants secretly removed a page from her manual that explained all the procedures for the 3R aircraft door and placed it inside of a magazine and then handed it to the passenger near the door. She instructed him to "read" the magazine and then close it up, but refer to it later if necessary. This page included information on how to open the exit door and deploy the slide down to the apron....

...The flight attendant at the 3L door decided it was time to take action and opened the door and although the slide did not deploy several passengers and crew jumped down the fifteen feet to the tarmac. The passenger that was near 3R had read the page the flight attendant earlier gave him and was able to successfully open that door. It was the only door opened to have the slide deploy. Ultimately this slide allowed for more passengers to evacuate safely and without injuries...

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

Aesma

Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:07 am

So either the 3L slide had a problem, or the F/A opened the door after having mistakenly disarmed it.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos