eurowings
Topic Author

Vueling Launches Luton To Amsterdam And Barcelona

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Spanish LCC Vueling, part of International Airlines Group, will launch up to twice daily services from LTN to AMS and BCN from March 2016.

This is an unexpected and interesting move, as LTN serves as the headquarters of easyJet and the carrier has been operating on both routes at high frequencies since the 1990s. EZY also opened a base in AMS this year and is due to open a base in BCN next year.

Source: https://twitter.com/vueling/status/677522483805880321
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

[email protected]

RE: Vueling Launches Luton To Amsterdam And Barcelona

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:07 pm

Yep, 2x daily Barcelona from 17th March and 1x daily Amsterdam initially but 2x daily from May.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

migair54

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:37 pm

It's interesting, Vueling marking territory with BCN just before Easyjet opens the base, it will be interesting to see what's Easyjet answer to this, did they announce new routes after opening the BCN base??

By the way, 2xday between BCN and LTN is a lot, how many flights does BCN have with London right now?? it must a be busy route.

AMS keep adding flights to the UK, it's amazing, the other day I read that KLM alone has something like 17 destinations in the UK, the daily traffic between the UK and Netherlands is very big.

SCQ83

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:55 pm

AENA is the largest stockholder in Luton, so it might help IAG expanding in LTN.

eurowings
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Vueling is gradually developing a significant market presence on routes from the UK to Spain/Italy, not afraid to tackle the dominance of easyJet, Ryanair and the leisure carriers like Jet2. The LTN-AMS route is a game changer and signals Vueling's desire to test the market for further expansion.

EasyJet is currently holding firm against FR in the fare war on the LTN-CPH route and has maintained its presence on the STN-EDI/GLA routes despite FR competition. It will be interesting to see their reaction to Vueling.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

CrimsonNL

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:17 pm

A very interesting route, though I wonder, how much extra LON flights do we need? For comparison, today we had roughly 55 AMS-LON passenger flights.

LTN isn't very well known around here, and prices to LGW/STN are already so low it's ridiculous. It will be very interesting to see how this route will do.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

eurowings
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 5):
A very interesting route, though I wonder, how much extra LON flights do we need? For comparison, today we had roughly 55 AMS-LON passenger flights.

LTN isn't very well known around here, and prices to LGW/STN are already so low it's ridiculous. It will be very interesting to see how this route will do.

It will be interesting to see if FR launch STN-AMS, one wonders how much more capacity the LON-AMS market can contend with.

[Edited 2015-12-17 14:11:46]

[email protected]

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:11 pm

Quoting eurowings (Reply 6):
It will be interesting to see if FR launch STN-AMS, one wonders how much more capacity the LON-AMS market can content with.

Almost without question.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

SR4ever

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:37 pm

Welcome move, especially as VY is usually cheaper than U2, especially for last minute-bookings...

Which could be the next 5 new bases of VY? FRA, MUC, WAW, ATH, LIS, ZRH?

lesfalls

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:15 am

Quoting SR4ever (Reply 8):

Didn't they just announce a Swiss base in GVA?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

gilesdavies

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:20 am

Sorry I didn't see this thread running, I just created one and will request it be deleted... Here is however what I posted in the other thread, that may or may not be of interest.

Looks like Transavia and now Vueling are declaring war on easyJet at their hometown base of Luton!

Last week Transavia announced a new service between LTN-ORY which would go head-to-head with easyJet on their LTN-CDG route, which they have been flying for a number of year.

Now today Vueling have announced twice daily services to both BCN and AMS from Luton.

http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/...flights-to-barcelona-and-amsterdam

Amsterdam, Paris and Barcelona are three of easyJet's busiest and longest running routes from the airport. Traditionally airlines have not had to compete with each other at Luton, but this is now becoming more common:

Amsterdam - easyJet, Vueling
Barcelona - easyJet, Vueling
Bucharest - Blue Air, WIzzair
Copenhagen - easyJet, Ryanair
Iași - Blue Air, TAROM and Wizzair
Larnaca - Monarch, Blue Air
Naples - easyJet, Monarch, Thomon Airways
Paris - easyJet, Transavia
Rome - easyJet, Monarch
Tel Aviv - easyJet, El Al, Monarch
Vilnius - Ryanair, Wizzair

(Plus also a number of the tourist Summer Sun destination in Spain, Greece and Turkey)

This is also the third London airport, to be served by Vueling, and will be operating to Barcelona from all three (LHR, LGW and LTN).

If the new Vueling routes are a success, could we see a new LTN base?! This is the only London airport they will be operating to, which has plenty of spare capacity and are currently increasing capacity at the airport from 12 to 18 million passengers a year. Also with the Spanish operator AENA, now running the airport, I wonder if this had any influence in attracting the Spanish airline.

This also must come as a blow to Stansted, who are desparately trying to dilute their portfolio and not be so dependent on the dominant carrier Ryanair.

eurowings
Topic Author

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:48 am

Vueling is targeting UK traffic on a large scale, there aren't that many UK airports they WON'T be serving come Summer 2016!

However, LTN has been the focus of some really interesting LCC activity of late. I think easyJet will be challenged but even more so I feel Monarch could suffer against Blue AIr's ridiculously low fares on LTN-LCA.

Monarch and easyJet have brands and reputations that serve them well, whereas Blue Air is unknown in the sunshine leisure market and Vueling is little known outside UK-Southern Europe. Then again, that was the argument made against Norwegian at LGW, yet they are doing very well there now on a broad spectrum of city, sun and ski routes.

LHRFlyer

Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:14 am

Vueling's growth in the UK comes at a very interesting time when Alex Cruz is due to take over from Keith Williams as CEO of BA.

SCQ83

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:33 am

Quoting eurowings (Reply 4):
Vueling is gradually developing a significant market presence on routes from the UK to Spain/Italy, not afraid to tackle the dominance of easyJet, Ryanair and the leisure carriers like Jet2. The LTN-AMS route is a game changer and signals Vueling's desire to test the market for further expansion.

What was more surprising is that Vueling was not a significant player in the UK-Spain market.

- UK-Spain the busiest country-pair in the world in terms of passengers.
- IAG a British-Spanish-Irish corporation. BA and IB are the largest household names in their countries.
- Most of that traffic UK-Spain is leisure and VFR oriented and 2-3 hours flights, a perfect combination for a low-cost.

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 10):

That really emphasizes my idea that easyJet has really a lack of direction. They used to have their niche markets that worked well for them. Now they have competition from every corner. In London whether it is BA with "base fares" (I have seen cheaper fares with BA to LHR than U2 to LGW in different routes a few times), with Norwegian down the road at LGW, with Ryanair "being nice" at STN (OK easyJet does not have a big presence there but still now Ryanair is not worse than easyJet in customer service; I would say the other way around) and now with "everybody" at LTN.

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 10):
If the new Vueling routes are a success, could we see a new LTN base?! This is the only London airport they will be operating to,

The fly to LGW and LHR.

I think routes to LGW and LTN could work. The advantage of LTN is that IAG has no presence there. So it is an easy way for IAG to expand its footprint in the London market after LHR, LGW and LCY.

[Edited 2015-12-17 22:37:14]

SR4ever

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:46 am

Quoting Lesfalls (Reply 9):
Didn't they just announce a Swiss base in GVA?

AFAIK, there s only gonna be 1 new route from GVA: FCO... If this is a base, it will be very small...

ahmetdouas

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:34 am

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 5):

I think it will mainly attract people living in the north west areas of London and people living near the M1 which would make it much easier for them than flying out of LGW or STN.

eurowings
Topic Author

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:46 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 13):
That really emphasizes my idea that easyJet has really a lack of direction. They used to have their niche markets that worked well for them. Now they have competition from every corner. In London whether it is BA with "base fares" (I have seen cheaper fares with BA to LHR than U2 to LGW in different routes a few times), with Norwegian down the road at LGW, with Ryanair "being nice" at STN (OK easyJet does not have a big presence there but still now Ryanair is not worse than easyJet in customer service; I would say the other way around) and now with "everybody" at LTN.

I understand where you're coming from. However, EZY is arguably still the leading LCC in the vast LON market as they got hold of the market at the right time a good 10+ years ago; FR may be dominant at STN, but FR has only a limited presence at the (higher yielding) LGW and (well connected) LTN. Both of those airports also have limited slots at peak times. EZY can offer higher frequencies to major destinations (check out how many daily flights they have LGW-AGP in summer), they have perks such as being able to transfer onto earlier flights without charge and have built loyalty through their reliable product and the Plus card.

VY is very well known in Spain, but it's not a household name like EZY, FR or the leisure airlines like LS, TCX or TOM in the UK. Most passengers on UK-Spanish resorts flights are UK originating passengers. I'd say the brand is neither particularly memorable for UK passengers nor are they a 'premium' LCC like Norwegian. Their real advantage IMO comes from their IAG ownership and ability to codeshare with BA and IB, that will go some way to establishing a stronger market presence.

EZY has always competed with BA directly or indirectly, funnily enough they actually bought BA's last LCC venture Go Fly back in 2002. IAG obviously has a strong proposition with VY, but I wouldn't underestimate EZY's ability to compete. They also have a strong presence across the UK and are continuing to innovate, see their new route from Manchester to Tivat for example.

[Edited 2015-12-18 01:56:17]

SCQ83

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:18 am

Quoting eurowings (Reply 16):

I complete agree with your analysis, but I was not talking specifically about Vueling competing with easyJet. BA, Norwegian, Vueling, the "new" Ryanair are tapping into markets where easyJet was pretty much on their own and quite comfortable.

As for Vueling, I also agree that is not a household name in the UK like the other low-costs, so that is something IAG has to work with. However I think there are two positive aspects for VY in the UK, regarding VFR:

- Spaniards working in the UK, specially in London notably after the Spanish crisis. Large market.
- British living in Spain half or full time. That is another enormous market. Those Brits are more likely to know Vueling that Dean from Doncaster who goes once a year to Benidorm on holiday.

As that Manchester-Tivat route, it is interesting indeed. But let's not forget that the strenght of easyJet was to be the "business-friendly low-cost". Now they have to compete with Norwegian, VY or Ryanair. And some of easyJet's innovative ideas have ended quite badly... their expansion in the Middle East (Egypt, Jordan, Tunis) or Russia from the UK.

SR4ever

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:22 am

Frankly, I m not too worried about the brand-building of VY in the UK, given that they are often cheaper than U2...

After VY had started operations in PAR a few years later than U2, they also quickly built their brand...

If VY finally joins OW, and therefore becomes fully eligible to BA Executive Club, U2 will have a tough competitor, and shall react accordingly...

anstar

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:45 am

Quoting migair54 (Reply 2):
AMS keep adding flights to the UK, it's amazing, the other day I read that KLM alone has something like 17 destinations in the UK, the daily traffic between the UK and Netherlands is very big.

Lets not forget alot of this traffic is connecting that would otherwise go through LHR if it had the capacity - Instead it goes through places like AMS and DXB.

GCT64

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:05 am

LTN-BCN is not a huge surprise, given VY's name recognition in Spain and increasingly on UK-Spain routes.

However, just like a lot of the commentators above, the LTN-AMS route really surprises me. That's going right into core EZY territory. EZY have as many as 18 flights a day on AMS-LON (e.g. this coming Sunday 20 Dec) going to LGW, LTN, STN and SEN and have major brand recognition in the market (as well as out of AMS to a wide range of other UK destinations).

I think it is going to be a challenge to get people to change their buying habits and check VY's website when buying a LON-AMS ticket.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

eurowings
Topic Author

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:55 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 17):
I complete agree with your analysis, but I was not talking specifically about Vueling competing with easyJet. BA, Norwegian, Vueling, the "new" Ryanair are tapping into markets where easyJet was pretty much on their own and quite comfortable.

Yes, I think you have made a good point there, easyJet are now faced with having to defend their core markets. On LTN-CPH they are currently standing firm in the face of Ryanair introducing up to four daily services at super low fares.

You are also quite correct to point out that some of EZY's recent innovations have included markets like Egypt and Russia, which for various reasons (including external factors such as security, politics etc) have not worked out.

I think they're simply going to have to innovate further and/or reduce fares where necessary. They could make easyJet Plus a stronger loyalty scheme, perhaps introduce Wi-Fi, change their baggage policy, codesharing/interlining(?), etc.

It's also worth pointing out that the Northern Europe-Spain markets might be able to sustain the addition of many more services in 2016 vs this year, as large tourist destinations for Northern European holidaymakers such as Tunisia and Egypt are effectively closed off (unable to obtain travel insurance).

]

Quoting SR4ever (Reply 18):

Frankly, I m not too worried about the brand-building of VY in the UK, given that they are often cheaper than U2..

That might change with VY directly competing against them, I've seen some of the lowest EZY fares ever on LTN-CPH where they are locked in a price war with FR. Good for passengers in any case.

[Edited 2015-12-18 04:02:12]

AirbusA6

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:24 pm

It's surprising that the Vueling website doesn't make it clearer that it part of IAG, as certainly for British customers who have barely heard of it, that would give comfort about its longevity and financial stability (and yes I am aware that Vueling is actually doing very well and making good profits, but most people probably aren't)
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

factsonly

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:57 am

Some background data to the LTN-AMS market:

- easyJet's first international route LTN-AMS opened in 1996
- Exactly 20 years later easyJet will see LCC competition on this route.
- 2015 easyJet operates upto 5x/day LTN-AMS - Mon, Thu, Fri only (other days 4x)
- 2015 total passengers - 400.000 pax LTN-AMS per annum

- 2016 easyJet thus far maintains its 4x/5x daily schedule.

- Vueling set introduce up to 200.000 additional seats LTN-AMS

November 2015 - CAA data:

- LTN-CPH 58.845 +484%
- LTN-AMS 41.000 +21%
- LTN-BUD 35.325 +12%
- LTN-WAW 28.762 +17%
- LTN-DUB 26.000 -1%
- LTN-KTW 21.880 +28%
- LTN-CDG 20.000 +3%
- LTN-SOF 19.242 +62%
- LTN-GDN 18.474 +10%
- LTN-VNO 18.450 +31%
- LTN-RIX 12.336 +36%
- LTN-GVA 12.046 +9%
- LTN-BCN 11.811 + 3%
- LTN-POZ 11.130 +32%
- LTN-PRG 10.279 +3%

Vueling clearly has selected easyJet and not Wizzair as its target at LTN.

Planesmart

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:40 pm

If VY finally joins OW, and therefore becomes fully eligible to BA Executive Club, U2 will have a tough competitor, and shall react accordingly...

LCC's want scheme rule changes (to reduce membership costs for LCC's), which full-cost member airlines are against. IAG have a foot in both camps. Interesting to see how membership plays out.

eurowings
Topic Author

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Quoting Planesmart (Reply 24):
LCC's want scheme rule changes (to reduce membership costs for LCC's), which full-cost member airlines are against. IAG have a foot in both camps. Interesting to see how membership plays out.

It would be certainly be an interesting development, the only body representing the major European LCCs is the ELFAA (European Low Fares Airline Association- www.elfaa.com/members.htm) but it's not an alliance in any sense of the term.

gilesdavies

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:58 pm

The general consensus, I am reading in other forums is the likes of Transavia and Vueling have chosen Luton, due to the lack of slots at other London airports, and are not willing to go head to head with Ryanair at Stansted.

However the morning slots Vueling and Transavia swallowed up at Luton, are between 7-8am and these are the last available slots for this time at the airport. As the runway is restricted to 32 slots an hour for take offs and landing.

This is a sorry sign of the London airports, if the likes of Luton is now at capacity at certain times.

This will hopefully improve when the full parallel taxiways come into effect, as part of the airports expansion plans. As at present aircraft have to backtrack down the runway and turnaround for take-off, but an increasing number of aircraft depart from the current taxiway intersection, but this reduces the usable runway available to about 1600m instead of 2100m.

r2rho

Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 26):
As the runway is restricted to 32 slots an hour for take offs and landing.

This is a sorry sign of the London airports, if the likes of Luton is now at capacity at certain times.

This will hopefully improve when the full parallel taxiways come into effect, as part of the airports expansion plans. As at present aircraft have to backtrack down the runway and turnaround for take-off, but an increasing number of aircraft depart from the current taxiway intersection, but this reduces the usable runway available to about 1600m instead of 2100m.

Indeed, the new taxiway cannot come soon enough. A fully equipped runway with high-speed exits and full parallel taxiway can typically manage 45/hour. Given the relatively minor improvements planned, LTN will not get there yet, but 38ish should be achievable as rough guesstimate.

gilesdavies

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:20 am

Quoting r2rho (Reply 27):
A fully equipped runway with high-speed exits and full parallel taxiway can typically manage 45/hour.

The talk is of the runway handling 40-42 aircraft an hour once the taxiway extension is in place.

I don't think we'll see high speed exits at Luton, that is far to innovative for the airport to consider.  

Aisak

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:37 pm

There is really no need for VY to join oneworld to become eligible to BA Executive Club. BA has codeshare and FF agreements with Aer Lingus, Alaska Airlines and Meridiana outside of the OW umbrella.
BA already has a codeshare agreement on VY flights, and they just seem happy as it is.

Truth be told, i'd also like an extended codeshare and FF agreement among the IAG airlines, at least the full service ones being extended to Vueling for avios acrual and redemption.
From the Vueling side I can only picture more ad-hoc one-to-one agreements. That means i don't see VY flights operated by Aer lingus as there are not flights operated by IB or BA now. Also no use in colecting punto (VY's own FF scheme) on airlines other than Vueling as it would only translate on more costs and complexity for the company.

SR4ever

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:14 pm

VY has replaced most IB flights out of BCN, and it sounds quite logic that it eventually joins OW.

I don t think you can accrue Tier Points at BAEC when flying VY...

SelseyBill

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:30 am

Quoting migair54 (Reply 2):
AMS keep adding flights to the UK, it's amazing, the other day I read that KLM alone has something like 17 destinations in the UK, the daily traffic between the UK and Netherlands is very big

that's because many British travellers are completely fed-up with anything to do with travelling to, via or over France. Whether its strikes by ATC, the disgusting state of affairs at Calais or poor service by AF; lots of folks I work with look @ AMS as their default continental connection point.

SCQ83

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:38 am

Vueling is making BCN-LHR year round (1 daily). I wonder what is the logic of such move.

So now VY will have flights from BCN to LGW, LHR and LTN in addition to BA flying LHR-BCN and LGW-BCN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos