Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

adambrau

RE: New Malaysian Airline Sharia-Style

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:02 am

I think I would prefer to hear this prayer over "changes I will like" that from we heard from Jeff Smisek for years until recently. And I'm still flying UA...

mandala499

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:11 am

Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 18):
in any case how would they compete with Air Asia and MAS, which sometimes have fares of less than 20$?

Simple... pay certain NGOs to start ranting that low fares are unIslamic, and that putting low prices to drive out the competition are unIslamic, deliberately ignoring or covering up that the low fares are only a small proportion of the capacity which isn't large enough to drive out competition)... and then later on switch to a campaign claiming that the sharia way is cheaper and Islamic while putting up even lower fares. Seen some tried to do this in the past...

LandSweetLand

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:32 am

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 47):
I read through the various pages on their website and they do offer inflight snacks, described as "a tasty muffin, fruit juice and peanuts." (Yes folks, you better stop drinking orange juice because it is halal. )

Yep, much more stuff is Halal than people realise. In Australia at least, it's almost guaranteed that if we buy meat (not pork obviously) that it's Halal (even if it's not explicitly stated). As Fred Nile said on his website recently "It is estimated that 90% of Australian meat, including beef, lamb, chicken and fish, is “halal certified” as well as thousands of our supermarket products including bread, dairy, fruit and vegetables, bottled water, shampoo, dog-food, even chocolate Easter eggs, have been halal certified." ( https://www.christiandemocraticparty.com.au/media-releases/rev-fred-nile-declares-that-halal-certification-is-imposing-islamic-sharia-law-on-all-australians-no-halal-tax-on-easter-eggs/ ) , New Zealand lamb looks to be about 70% Halal, UK Lamb is about 51% Halal ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...laughtered-meat-dont-label-it.html )
I didn't bother looking at other countries, but there's a good chance that if you eat non-pork meat on a plane, it's Halal whether they tell you or not.

justbala

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:56 am

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 5):
Malaysia is a hostile place for non-muslims from what I hear.

Lolz.. posting this from KL - and I find this extremely funny.   One night at Changkat Bukit Bintang and all those notions would go straight out of the window  

Urban Malaysia is as happening and open (if not more) as most urban metros in the world. Just had a fren transiting via KL and he was surprised to find short skirts and tights in abundance. He had already created a mental image of Taliban-sque Afghanistan with burqa clad women and religious men every where and ended up being pleasantly surprised. So guess u need to make a trip here, to change ur impression of a beautiful country.

Rural areas could be more conservative, but then that is a global phenomenon. I have faced more hostility in some parts of the Deep Southern US than in Malaysia. (I am from India and a Hindu)  

Regarding the airline, other than the Muslim crew wearing a hijab, I dont see much difference. AFAIK all food served on domestic flights in Malaysia is halal and alcohol is not offered (even India has similar rules on their domestic flights)

mercure1

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:15 am

Being Sharia compliant is a growing business niche.

Have you guys not heard of all the Sharia compliant banking sector (aka Islamic finance)?

These days even commercial airplanes are being financed per Sharia principles.

All across business world into all types of sectors there is an important and growing popular niche to provide services that are Sharia compliant.

I see nothing wrong with an airline clearly identifying such. Probably helps attract a group of clients versus rivals.

benjjk

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:32 am

Quoting LandSweetLand (Reply 53):
Yep, much more stuff is Halal than people realise. In Australia at least, it's almost guaranteed that if we buy meat (not pork obviously) that it's Halal (even if it's not explicitly stated). As Fred Nile said on his website recently "It is estimated that 90% of Australian meat, including beef, lamb, chicken and fish, is “halal certified” as well as thousands of our supermarket products including bread, dairy, fruit and vegetables, bottled water, shampoo, dog-food, even chocolate Easter eggs, have been halal certified." ( https://www.christiandemocraticparty.com.au/media-releases/rev-fred-nile-declares-that-halal-certification-is-imposing-islamic-sharia-law-on-all-australians-no-halal-tax-on-easter-eggs/ ) , New Zealand lamb looks to be about 70% Halal, UK Lamb is about 51% Halal ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...laughtered-meat-dont-label-it.html )
I didn't bother looking at other countries, but there's a good chance that if you eat non-pork meat on a plane, it's Halal whether they tell you or not.

It's kind of like saying "Did you know that lettuce you're eating is VEGAN FOOD?!?!?!?"

Quoting justbala (Reply 54):

Quoting justbala (Reply 54):
Rural areas could be more conservative, but then that is a global phenomenon. I have faced more hostility in some parts of the Deep Southern US than in Malaysia. (I am from India and a Hindu)  

Yes I would imagine that being a Muslim POC in a lot of the US would see more hostility than a white Christian in Malaysia.

Aither

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:35 am

It's normal to feel less safer when a crew seems to believe that death can be a reward.

WearyDrover

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:48 am

Quoting Aither (Reply 57):

Is there any evidence that the crew employed by this airline actually believe that?

From my understanding most Islamic scholars concider suicide to he a sin. Death itself is not considered a reward and deliberately seeking death is frowned upon. What might be considered a reward (for those who believe) would be ascending to paradise following a virtuous life or death in defence of ones right to practice one's religion. That doesn't mean that pilots are going to be deliberately negligent.

DALCE

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:48 am

The good thing is that you can also fly a different airline if the offerings of this one does not suit your needs or you have a bad feeling about it for whatever reason.
What I find funny is that most reactors here are not even close to unlikely to fly this route ever so why bother,
As long as their maintenance is sufficient and they have trained and capable and trained staff, i'm happy to fly them if I need to.

Just some food for thoughts....many western airlines don't serve bacon of any pork because of their large percentage of passnegers who are not eating this food. It's not practical from an operational point of view,

AngMoh

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:03 am

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 55):
Being Sharia compliant is a growing business niche.

Have you guys not heard of all the Sharia compliant banking sector (aka Islamic finance)?

These days even commercial airplanes are being financed per Sharia principles.

All across business world into all types of sectors there is an important and growing popular niche to provide services that are Sharia compliant.

I see nothing wrong with an airline clearly identifying such. Probably helps attract a group of clients versus rivals.

Yes - it is a niche and they will get customers. But as long as AirAsia is cheaper, they will get more customers.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 17):
33% of Malaysians believe suicide bombings against civilians can be justified in defending Islam from its enemies, (compared to 7% in Pakistan). 86% of Muslim Malaysians support the implementation of Sharia law, 44% of them believe Sharia law should extend to all Malaysians and 62% of them believe in the death penalty for converting away from Islam. If this is the definition of 'liberal' Muslim society, we have real problems.

If this nonsense is correct, then PAS would have won the election easily with a large majority. But then BN is still running the country so this data is wrong.

I am more worried about driving over a chicken in a Kampung and how the locals react to that than religious fundamentalism.

Quoting LandSweetLand (Reply 53):
Yep, much more stuff is Halal than people realise.

I wonder if people realize that McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut and whatever else are all Halal in South East Asia (including Singapore). Being Halal is good for business because Muslim customers feel ok eating it while non-Muslims don't care and eat it anyway. It's like being "organic" in Europe or the US.

aviationaware

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:45 am

As long as they don't want to fly to civilized countries, may their backwood religion guide them to peace.

BestWestern

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:06 am

Since when? I visit there about every two weeks and am yet to feel hostility against me.

Quoting CARST (Reply 6):
there is that pre-recorded prayer being playing on all EY flights, too. So why not?[/quote

MH too.

[quote=mariner,reply=27]I imagine there are quite a lot of deeply Christian pilots - especially in the US - who say a prayer or two. Would you put those airlines on your "no-fly" list as well?

Alaskan have written prayers onboard.

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 30):
I was not aware that views in Malaysia were that extreme

They aren't. Speak to normal people and not poorly phrased surveys that lead to an answer they are looking for.

Quoting benjjk (Reply 46):
what has A.Net sunk to?

Well, more American Hysteria. Freedom fries anyone?

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 52):
Simple... pay certain NGOs to start ranting that low fares are unIslamic,

Known in the west as lobbying.

Me, I won't be flying with this new carrier as they fly clapped out end of life 734's rather than modern equipment from Air Asia or Malaysian.

chrisrad

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:10 am

It's too bad really - Saudi funded extremism is taking over what used to be a relatively moderate, open country. Malaysia is a hostile place for non-muslims from what I hear.

Never heard something more ridiculous written about a country.

From what I hear the USA is quite a hostile place with weekly mass shootings..... get some perspective.

How is this airline any different to Royal Brunei?

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:29 am

[quote=BestWestern,reply=62]Quoting benjjk (Reply 46):
what has A.Net sunk to?

Well, more American Hysteria. Freedom fries anyone?
[/quote/]

Many Sharia laws oppress women. And you defend that??

Edit: to Saudi Arabia's credit, women can now vote...

[Edited 2015-12-20 23:37:01]

RickNRoll

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:46 am

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 44):
Muslim women in Malaysia can get comfortable just about anywhere in the country & not just Langkawi. I've seen Muslim women in bikinis on the beaches of Penang & Port Dickson which is a short drive away from KUL.

Muslim women in Malaysia aren't forced by law to wear the hijab or as you call it "more extreme religious gear" so lets not misrepresent my country, will you?

I was referring to the tourists form other more strict Muslim countries.

BestWestern

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:49 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 64):
Many Sharia laws oppress women. And you defend that??

Where did I defend Sharia law. We aren't talking about Sharia - but an airline. But if you want to discuss inequality, you should start at home.

Coal

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:02 am

Quoting liftsifter (Reply 48):
Well... in Arabic that means "car law" so... I think you mean sharia.

And in Malaysia it means Sharia law.

zippy

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:09 am

Quoting chrisrad (Reply 63):

It's too bad really - Saudi funded extremism is taking over what used to be a relatively moderate, open country. Malaysia is a hostile place for non-muslims from what I hear.

Never heard something more ridiculous written about a country.

From what I hear the USA is quite a hostile place with weekly mass shootings..... get some perspective.

How is this airline any different to Royal Brunei?

How is this a ridiculous statement? Check out Article 153 of the Malaysian Constitution. I'm not sure how Brunei is relevant, as the claim was that Malaysia is simply hostile, not that they're more hostile.

SOBHI51

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:10 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Malaysia

Dual justice system[edit]
The dual system of law is provided in Article 121(1A) of the Constitution of Malaysia. Article 3 also provides that Islamic law is a state law matter with the exception for the Federal Territories of Malaysia.[1] Islamic law refers to the sharia law, and in Malaysia it is known and spelled as syariah. The court is known as the Syariah Court. Looking at the Malaysian legal system as a whole, sharia law plays a relatively small role in defining the laws on the country. It only applies to Muslims. With regards to civil law, the Syariah courts has jurisdiction in personal law matters, for example marriage, inheritance, and apostasy. In some states there are sharia criminal laws, for example there is the Kelantan Syariah Criminal Code Enactment 1993. Their jurisdiction is however limited to imposing fines for an amount not more than RM 5000, and imprisonment to not more than 3 years. In August 2007, the then Chief Justice of Malaysia proposed to replace the current common law application in Malaysia with sharia law.[2

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:10 am

BestWestern quote"

"We aren't talking about Sharia - but an airline."

They seem to co-exist now.

thaiflyer

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:27 am

Quoting dubaiamman243 (Reply 8):
Obviously you have never been there otherwise wouldnt have posted this, its one of the most liberal muslim states in the world, almost un-Islamic.

Malaysia WAS a very tolerant country, unfortunately it is becoming less and less tolerant and moving slowly towards a dictatorship.

hilram

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:34 am

Now, we all know that in a Sharia court, the testimony of a woman is worth the half of that of a man. Will this view of worth also be reflected in the airline tickets? And in case, does that mean that women will pay half the fare of a man, or double?      

SOBHI51

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:35 am

Quoting thaiflyer (Reply 71):

Was there in March, i didn't notice that change in KL, just take a stroll in Petronas shopping center or in the areas of restaurants, skirts are becoming shorter and shorter, gay people are not afraid to show there sexual preferences, more night clubs around etc...

YULWinterSkies

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:36 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Thread starter):
In-flight meals served on board its flights are completely halal

This is probably the most breaking of all news: an airline still serves "MEALS"?
As, I understand, this is a domestic maiden flight, so I am very much confused.

[Edited 2015-12-21 00:36:25]

SOBHI51

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:49 am

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 74):

Even a pack of biscuit have to be Halal, some of them can have lard as ingredient.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:53 am

Quoting zippy (Reply 68):

How is Article 153 relevant to the discussion? It doesn't prove the fact of hostility against non-Muslims.

I don't think so. We're nowhere close to becoming a dictatorship run by a military junta. True there are some inter-racial tensions, but it's only because a few irresponsible people playing political games for their own personal gain.

bwest

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:57 am

Malaysia WAS a very tolerant country, unfortunately it is becoming less and less tolerant and moving slowly towards a dictatorship.

With a military junta to the north and the benevolent dictatorship of PAP to the south, they seem to fit right in.

I've been to Malaysia and it didn't strike me as a Muslim fundamentalist country. I'm not a fan of (or believer in) any religion, save for the church of the Jedi, but who am I to say people can't believe in their god of choice. I do remember eating pork and having lots of beers in Malaysia, with nobody even batting an eyelid. You see a lot of head scarves, but you equally see a lot of those head scarves being used as a mere fashion object. And so many tight jeans... True, you get turkey bacon at Burger King, but go to a street vendor and you can get delicious bakkwa if you really crave some pork.

As for this airline, it's simple really: religion sells. It has so for over thousands of years. Apparently some of the investors behind this airline aren't even muslims. Just businessmen who are clever enough to realize people are all too eager to give their money to something they have been told by some "holy" book is the right thing to do. I probably won't fly them, I kinda like my glass of bubbly on board, but if enough other people will to make this thing a success, good for them. Hurrah for the free market...

As for the prayer on EY, first time you hear it you might raise an eyebrow, but then you kinda just accept it, or vote with your wallet and choose another, more secular, airline. Most of the pilots on EY strike me as having a very heavy Australian accent, I doubt that they pray along.

The only aviation-religon news that worried me was the report that a Tunisair pilot started praying when his ATR was crashing into the Mediterranean.

WearyDrover

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:01 am

moving slowly towards a dictatorship.

Sadly intolerance isn't restricted to one country. As you would surely know, the country whose flag you display is a dictatorship where, if the media is to believed, a man has been charged with insulting the king's dog. Yes, that's dog not god.

I trust all those who are hysterical about Rayani Air will add Thai to their so-called blacklists. Just to be consistent, of course.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-kings-dog-sarcastic-internet-post

At this rate, there will hardly be an airline left flying.  

[Edited 2015-12-21 01:13:24]

SOBHI51

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:06 am

Quoting bwest (Reply 77):
I've been to Malaysia and it didn't strike me as a Muslim fundamentalist country

As for the prayer on EY, first time you hear it you might raise an eyebrow, but then you kinda just accept it, or vote with your wallet and choose another, more secular, airline. Most of the pilots on EY strike me as having a very heavy Australian accent, I doubt that they pray along

The only aviation-religon news that worried me was the report that a Tunisair pilot started praying when his ATR was crashing into the Mediterranean.

It's better than bending down and kissing your butt goodbye  

SKAirbus

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:12 am

I just wish people and companies would keep their religions to themselves.... As an atheist I am all for religious freedom and will go out on the streets to defend it but by forcing it upon people like this airline does is wrong. Religion should be a private thing and not a form of population control.

It's not just Islam but Christian, Judaism etc etc. I live in a country where there is no clear separation between church and state and where our head of states sits as the head of the church. It's ridiculous. Funny how a sky fairy can control our lives like this... And how we take our morals from religious texts that advocate domestic abuse etc.

WearyDrover

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:24 am

Quoting skairbus (Reply 80):

How is anyone forcing it upon you. They have advertised their company ethos. If you like it, good. Fly them. If not, choose another airline. At the end of the day no-one is forcing you to buy a ticket and should you decide to fly them, they will not force you to recite the shahada.

As another poster has written, most people will still fly AirAsia or some other airline if they are cheaper, showing just as there is no compulsion in religion there is no compulsion in buying an air ticket.

seahawk

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:41 am

If it works for them, good for them.

deaphen

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:00 am

As for Malaysia being so called "backward", check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-br-Re03-qc

[email protected]

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:09 am

What a remarkably odd and inflammatory thread. Don't like it? Don't fly it. Who cares?

Infinitely more important is why they think they'll be able to operate profitably as a self-styled low-cost carrier while concurrently ensuring a 'luxury experience' - from inclusive baggage, inclusive refreshments, 'high-quality fabrics' on seats, and having 132 seats (12 C, 120 Y) in ex-Malaysia 734s - on very price-competitive routes.

L1011Lover

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:09 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 40):
Tell me please what so scary in a prayer, whatever religion it is?
How do you know that Christian/Jewish pilots do not pray before a flight?

Simple question, simple answer: they don't do it loud and they don't do it over the PA! As I said before if you wanna pray, pray I have no problem with that, but don't force everybody else to listen to it... it's disrespectful to those who are either non-believers and not religious or those believing in something other than your own religion!

I tell you if they'd start doing it, the outrage - probably mostly by Muslims - would be massive!!!

AirbusA6

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:19 am

Quoting karungguni (Reply 20):
The resort island of Langkawi seems to be a strange place for the maiden flight unless they are getting more Gulf tourism than Western tourism these days.. I would that thought the more conservative states in the Northeast would be a better market.

I thought that as well. Quite a crowded route I'd have thought with both MH and AK operating very frequent services, but I guess they're going for a specific niche, with Westerners, Chinese, Hindus and moderate Muslims not their market.

The route is only an hour, so it's not as if you'd get much more than a packed of peanuts anyway

Heavierthanair

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:22 am

G'day

If God had wanted His people to fly He would have provided His people with wings. But even sharia law seems to allow for some bending if it is convenient.

As I understand it killing people is also not permitted under sharia law. But we all know that particular law is interpreted differently by its strongest "believers".

So much for "civilization" today

One other thing, if it were not for ethnic Chinese I believe Malaysia would not even be on the map

Cheers

Peter

mariner

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:31 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 70):
"We aren't talking about Sharia - but an airline."

They seem to co-exist now.

They've co-existed for a very long time.

Most - all? - Middle East and Muslim Asia-airlines are Sharia to a greater or lesser degree and always have been. The scarves that female Emirates flight attendants wear on their hats are a nod to the hijab.

I just wish people and companies would keep their religions to themselves.... As an atheist I am all for religious freedom and will go out on the streets to defend it but by forcing it upon people like this airline does is wrong.

Why? It's an airline presently operating a few domestic routes in a majority Muslim country. The target market is Muslim. If they think they can make money doing that, why is it wrong?

You might not like it but how often are you going to fly to Langkawi and if you do you can fly Air Asia, or any of the severe;l airlines that fly there.

mariner

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:51 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 88):
They've co-existed for a very long time

I realize this. I should have been more articulate. Oops  .

777Jet

Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:22 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 31):
Quoting 777Jet (Reply 33):
Everything Malaysia including MH might be staying on my blacklist for good now.

I doubt the airline(s) will care.

I know they don't care.

Do you actually think that people who express their opinion about X actually think that X really cares?

I don't.

People know that whoever or whatever they express their opinion about doesn't really care, but that won't stop people from expressing their opinion anyway.

Quoting mariner (Reply 31):
I don't think you're the target market.

I know I'm not the target market.

Are you?

Quoting benjjk (Reply 46):
Blacklist if you will but you're missing out.

Not really.

Been there plenty of times.

Plenty of other, and better, places to visit.

BestWestern

Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:33 am

I just wish people and companies would keep their religions to themselves.... As an atheist

So you ask people to keep their religion to themselves but you are happy to 'preach' Atheism.

mika

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:03 pm

This begs the inevitable question; So why are we (western, liberal societies) supposed to tolerate Islamic expressions within our societies if these countries won't tolerate us?

Whether the above statement is true or not for Malaysia is not relevant, there are places in this world where it is true, there is no doubt about that.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:06 pm

A trip report of the first flight is out. Here's some of the writer's thoughts

Quote:
I would love to see them focusing on marketing the airline as a reliable and value for money alternative to what’s available out there and not so much focus on “Syariah Compliant”. In the end the passengers would only look for a safe, on-time and value-for-money option. My 2 sen worth.
http://www.azuanzahdi.com/index.php/...gural-flight-to-langkawi-lets-fly/

777Jet

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:45 pm

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 92):
A trip report of the first flight is out.

I see they kept the old MH seat color theme.

The snack box also has peanuts - how original  

Some pretty looking female FAs; I might have to re-consider my boycott... nah, not really  

b747400erf

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:49 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 25):

Replacing God with Gaya and claiming climate change threatens our very survival rather than posing a threat to our status quo doesn't really help your argument.

If scientists saying this doesn't convince you, I figured the Pentagon saying it would. But some Americans are dead set in their ideological purity.

b747400erf

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Quoting BNEFlyer (Reply 41):

What's the big deal about another airline operating by Islamic rules? It's serving a niche market who probably appreciate it's entry into service. If you're a Christian, Jew, Buddhist, Atheist etc. and are 'outraged' or critical of the airline... don't fly it. It's quite simple. And you're probably not it's target market anyway.

It's become almost acceptable to be afraid of angry towards Islam among people that have rarely come across a single follower. You can usually find these people ranting about Europe and America being invaded and soon to institute sharia law in other forum comment sections. Jews just don't get any much hate anymore in the real world in the west only online, it's all turned to Islam, it's pretty boring these days!

jfkgig

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:46 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 7):

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 6):

Obviously you have never been there otherwise wouldnt have posted this, its one of the most liberal muslim states in the world, almost un-Islamic.

This is true -- Malaysia is one of the most liberal muslim states -- but still also true that non-Muslims such as Chinese and Hindu Indians are second class citizens there whose rights are inferior to the "native" Bumi Malay majority. Non-Bumi are limited in their opportunities for education, as well as in the civil service, and government contracting. In most of the Country, particularly in the South and in Chinese majority Penang, the influence of Islam is often mild and generally not overbearing, but there are religious States which enforce Sharia and exist as overtly religious Islamic States, inside the larger and mostly secular Nation.

b747400erf

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Quoting jfkgig (Reply 96):

This is true -- Malaysia is one of the most liberal muslim states -- but still also true that non-Muslims such as Chinese and Hindu Indians are second class citizens there whose rights are inferior to the "native" Bumi Malay majority. Non-Bumi are limited in their opportunities for education, as well as in the civil service, and government contracting. In most of the Country, particularly in the South and in Chinese majority Penang, the influence of Islam is often mild and generally not overbearing, but there are religious States which enforce Sharia and exist as overtly religious Islamic States, inside the larger and mostly secular Nation.

I thought Indonesia was the most "liberal" Islamic country? And the original post was explaining the troubling growing influence of Wahhabi in these countries that of course the person you quoted does not know about and chooses to purposely ignore.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:10 pm

Quoting jfkgig (Reply 96):
This is true -- Malaysia is one of the most liberal muslim states -- but still also true that non-Muslims such as Chinese and Hindu Indians are second class citizens there whose rights are inferior to the "native" Bumi Malay majority. Non-Bumi are limited in their opportunities for education, as well as in the civil service, and government contracting.

This is going out of topic but just to clarify on misconceptions - actually while there are provision for rights of indigenous people (say what you will, but the Malays are indigenous of the lands since the whole area is called the Malay archipelago after all), non-Malays aren't really truly 2nd class citizens the way apartheid South Africa is.

In terms of education there are Chinese & Indian medium schools which receives varying amounts of government support, of which a large majority of non-Malays enrol in, and they're getting more & more of the government scholarship which once were quota based. Demographically meanwhile the Chinese & Indians also have higher median wages & household income, and 9 out of the 10 richest Malaysians are non-Malays. As for civil service, I have not found evidence that non-Malays are actively discouraged from joining public service - but then again, a lot of Gen-X/Gen-Y/Millenials in Malaysia (myself included) view government service as old fashioned & not as lucrative as the private sector.

I know some non-Malays may dispute me, but that's a story for another time perhaps.

777way

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:24 pm

Interesting aviation fact, Saudia didnt serve Malaysia and Indonesia till the 1980s according to one of their route maps.

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 92):

The owners have Hindu sounding South Indian names, how come? are they converts?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos