Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nitepilot79
Topic Author

KSA Sharia Police Jurisdiction "Western" Flights?

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:07 am

I would guess that Sharia police must be on just about every Saudi airliner flying within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's airspace, and beyond. Once in "western" airspace, how much authority do the these police have in the event of a Sharia law violation, by a Saudi person?

Enough clout to force a return to the KSA? And if they do have that kind of pull, what if there isn't enough fuel to fly back to the jurisdiction?

[Edited 2015-12-20 21:59:39]

IndianicWorld

RE: KSA Sharia Police Jurisdiction "Western" Flights?

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:31 am

Interesting question.

I guess it would follow the same laws that other carriers operate within but would love to hear exactly how this would play out.

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:53 am

In the event of not having enough fuel to return, and landing in, say, the US, how could they even legally detain the person for a violation of Sharia law?

Could the Sharia police detain and hide the violator on the plane until the return flight? Has that been done?

[Edited 2015-12-20 22:21:46]

SOBHI51

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:56 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Thread starter):

Flew Saudia a couple of hundred times and there was never religious police on board. On international flight usually women change to a more western style clothing as soon as the fasten seat belt is turned off, in a matter of fact foreigners get rid of the Abaya after clearing security. I also never saw religious police on the air side of international terminal.

So for your question in reply 2 the answer is no because they are not on any international flight, BTW religious police do not have the right to arrest people but detain them till police come and arrest them.

[Edited 2015-12-20 23:59:55]
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

a320fan

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:31 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 3):
BTW religious police do not have the right to arrest people but detain them till police come and arrest them.

Is there really much difference?
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

SOBHI51

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:45 am

Quoting a320fan (Reply 4):

Yes, big difference, talking to an officer is much easier than talking with a Motawaea or a religious person with authority that does go to his head, mind you some of them are nice and they usually advise you if they noticed something is wrong is a very friendly way. For years when i lived there i did have nothing to do with them till the last night before i moved to the USA, i was attending the opening of a shop, i owe part of it, and even i requested that keep there head covered, but you know women, did have few VIP visitors from overseas with the ladies and there blonde that you can see from a mile away, after the end of the reception we were approached by a nice religion police telling us that there were some irregular action, so i asked him if he was married, he said yes, i then explained how women are stubborn and don't listen to our requests, he laughed and left and that was the end of the story.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:43 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 5):
but you know women, did have few VIP visitors from overseas with the ladies and there blonde that you can see from a mile away, after the end of the reception we were approached by a nice religion police telling us that there were some irregular action, so i asked him if he was married, he said yes, i then explained how women are stubborn and don't listen to our requests, he laughed and left and that was the end of the story.

Reads like a sexist anecdote.

Edit: With the element of truth, though, for sure.

[Edited 2015-12-21 01:56:32]

[Edited 2015-12-21 02:29:07]

Alfons

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:52 am

omg, really remembers Nazi Germany with the SS on the road. What a culture. 

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:53 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 6):

As if Americans don't tell sexist jokes? Let's not get personal.

As for the religious police, no offence to the Saudis but to be honest it's all a bunch of bull - and I'm a practicing Muslim. As far as I recall there weren't religious police in the days of the prophet so why should we have it now?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

AirIndia

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:53 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 6):
Reads like a sexist anecdote.

Guess u r not married!!! :P

I have also seen on flights to Tehran. The moment seat belt sign is off, the head scarves go flying around the cabin. its pretty much liek a graduation ceremony onboard.

[Edited 2015-12-21 01:55:03]

redadeco

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:02 am

Ridiculous thing to discuss IMO.

I got served alcohol WITHIN Saudi airspace onboard a flight ex RUH. I didn't get detained.

You might want to stay away a bit from mainstream US media.

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:07 am

Quoting AirIndia (Reply 9):

Guess u r not married!!! :P

Can't afford it.

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 8):
As if Americans don't tell sexist jokes? Let's not get personal.

True.

zeke

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:10 am

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 8):
As for the religious police, no offence to the Saudis but to be honest it's all a bunch of bull

Muslims are told it is “haraam” (“sinful”) to imitate (to copy) “unbelievers,” not only in their manner of dress, but in any manner, whatsoever. This is why the Arab men do not wear shoes, but sandals. It is also why the “religious police” in Saudi Arabia prohibit the sale of dogs and cats for pets, why the Taliban forbids the use of cameras and playing football, and why the Somali women are beaten if they are caught wearing a bra. In other words anyone that copies a non-Muslim in any way is an apostate, because he or she is then an “unbeliever”.

It is ironic that it is not “haraam” to copy “unbelievers" with modes of transport, strictly speaking, using or owning a car, or an aircraft is to imitate “unbelievers”.

Q : Why is there any airline from a Islamic state ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:25 am

Quoting redadeco (Reply 10):
Ridiculous thing to discuss IMO.

I got served alcohol WITHIN Saudi airspace onboard a flight ex RUH. I didn't get detained.

You might want to stay away a bit from mainstream US media.

They served you booze. You must not be a citizen of the KSA?

bastew

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:42 am

On flights to/from the UK we can not serve alcohol in their airspace at the request of Saudi authorities. We need to lock and seal the alcohol and duty free bars as soon as we enter Saudi airspace and are not allowed to open them until we have left Saudi airspace on the return flight. All catering is HALAL in both directions for all passengers.

It is the only country with Sharia law that we fly to where this is policy.

[Edited 2015-12-21 02:43:36]

[Edited 2015-12-21 02:50:07]

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:56 am

Quoting bastew (Reply 14):
On flights to/from the UK we can not serve alcohol in their airspace at the request of Saudi authorities. We need to lock and seal the alcohol and duty free bars as soon as we enter Saudi airspace and are not allowed to open them until we have left Saudi airspace on the return flight. All catering is HALAL in both directions for all passengers.

Thanks for the clarification, bastew.

WIederling

Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:03 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 11):
Can't afford it.

Ladies are a young man's disaster and an old man's delight  
Murphy is an optimist

planecrazy20

Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:53 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 12):
Muslims are told it is “haraam” (“sinful”) to imitate (to copy) “unbelievers,” not only in their manner of dress, but in any manner, whatsoever. This is why the Arab men do not wear shoes, but sandals. It is also why the “religious police” in Saudi Arabia prohibit the sale of dogs and cats for pets, why the Taliban forbids the use of cameras and playing football, and why the Somali women are beaten if they are caught wearing a bra. In other words anyone that copies a non-Muslim in any way is an apostate, because he or she is then an “unbeliever”.

It is ironic that it is not “haraam” to copy “unbelievers" with modes of transport, strictly speaking, using or owning a car, or an aircraft is to imitate “unbelievers”.

Q : Why is there any airline from a Islamic state ?

Have you ever been to a Muslim country? Me and every other Arab man i know wear shoes. I have friends and family in Saudi Arabia with pet dogs and pet cats. Taliban are extremists, they do not represent the majority of Muslims. There is only one case i can find of a Somali woman beaten for wearing a bra, which was done by an extremist group.

Maybe you should visit the region some time  

bastew

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:10 pm

The Saudi flights are actually quite interesting to work. The Saudi passengers once onboard are actually very relaxed and easy going. I've never had request for sex segregations or such onboard (unlike with Orthodox Jews which is a far more regular occurrence). I would say a minority of the females wear any niqab or hijab on board - no more than any other flights from the UK really anyway.

This contrasts with what happens on the ground in Saudi though. When we land and customers diembark we have to be 'customs cleared'. Customs officers come on and will go through catering trolleys and glass racks. If a glass still has half a centimetre of wine at the base that hasn't been thrown down the sink we're in trouble. If a gin or vodka miniature is found in a seat pocket we are in trouble.

When we, the crew, clear customs our passports are retained until we depart (we obviously don't enter on Visas). Only Saudi and Egypt do this of the countries we operate to.

Things have moved forward a little. Up until about a year ago the females had to don a burqa before setting foot off the aircraft. This no longer applies and the female crew can now walk through the terminal in regular uniform.

Once downtown on our slips it depends whether it is JED or RUH. JED is the more relaxed of the two. For us guys they are actually quite pleasant trips. For the girls it's different. They cannot use the pools or gyms at the hotels. They can only leave their rooms in their burqas.

If I go to the hotel gym from my room in JED wearing my gym gear this doesn't raise an eye brow. In RUH it is frowned upon. I've been laying by the pool in JED where local couples have walked around the grounds without being shocked and appalled by the sight of a male topless torso. This would never happen in RUH.

We have had crew arrested and detained in the past - most recently a male/female combo meeting up in a mall downtown.

WIederling

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:56 pm

Quoting planecrazy20 (Reply 17):
There is only one case i can find of a Somali woman beaten for wearing a bra, which was done by an extremist group.

and even that could be the targeted release of a fake.

Then these "Foxed Fakes" are not limited to muslim defamations.
see forex:
http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/brothel.asp
Murphy is an optimist

a320fan

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:59 pm

Very interesting, yet disturbing anecdotes in this thread. It actually quite upsets me that a state thinks they have the right to have so much control over what people can and cannot do and wear.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

zeke

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Quoting planecrazy20 (Reply 17):

Heaps of times, had many layovers n RUH. I just find the hypocrisy very evident. I find the religious police more about control/keeping oppression against women and minorities than anything else. They turn a bling eye to so many things.

The women know how to dress, many times when they get onboard take off their outer layer to have some of the latest fashion.

Quoting bastew (Reply 18):

Our crew have never had to cover up until after checking into the hotel.

EK crew don't have to give up their passports.

Had a few issues with engineering/ground staff not talking to/taking orders from female tech crew, the company fixed that issue by rostering all female crews for a while. In a country where women are not allowed to drive cars, it really raised eyebrows to have a all female tech crew in command of an airliner.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

777Jet

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:02 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 12):
why the Taliban forbids the use of cameras
Quoting zeke (Reply 12):
In other words anyone that copies a non-Muslim in any way is an apostate, because he or she is then an “unbeliever”.

Then it's ironic that ISIL like to use cameras and the internet, especially to show their killing videos and get messages out.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

bastew

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:10 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 21):
Had a few issues with engineering/ground staff not talking to/taking orders from female tech crew, the company fixed that issue by rostering all female crews for a while.

Haha Brilliant!

Quoting zeke (Reply 21):

Interesting! I wonder why the difference. Ours have always been retained by Immigration until we arrive back at the airport to depart.

WIederling

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:13 pm

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 22):
Then it's ironic that ISIL like to use cameras ...

I am rather certain that the IS media releases are prepared by first class commercial professionals.
They are vastly more sophisticated than what was previously placed by islamists.

And the implications are chilling.
Murphy is an optimist

zeke

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:15 pm

Quoting bastew (Reply 23):

No sure, their crews don't need visas for Russia either.

Qatara340

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:18 pm

What a dumb thread. There isn't religious police on flights in Saudi!!!!
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

SCQ83

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:25 pm

The Saudi flights are actually quite interesting to work. The Saudi passengers once onboard are actually very relaxed and easy going. I've never had request for sex segregations or such onboard (unlike with Orthodox Jews which is a far more regular occurrence). I would say a minority of the females wear any niqab or hijab on board - no more than any other flights from the UK really anyway.

I wonder if that depends on the carrier. British tend to be very "politically correct" so I am not surprised. But I have flown with Lufthansa (quite a few times) or Singapore out of Saudi and it looked that the FAs could not wait long enough to serve alcohol to whoever wanted.

Something I think applies to every other Muslim carrier though is that they do not serve alcohol in flights to or from Saudi Arabia (so let's say Turkish will not serve alcohol on IST-JED). But that probably has to do more with a "cultural custom" (Muslim carrier heading to the holy land) rather than anything else.

Things have moved forward a little. Up until about a year ago the females had to don a burqa before setting foot off the aircraft. This no longer applies and the female crew can now walk through the terminal in regular uniform.

I have seen women from foreign carriers with their standard uniform in JED (no head covered). I found it specially surprising for MH which is a Muslim country, so they should follow by example.

zeke

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 26):

Need to see the lighter side sometimes ....

"RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s national carrier this morning confirmed that it will be offering the ‘most sin-free service in the sky’ – with the introduction of religious police as a free in-flight service on international flights.

The move follows UAE airlines Etihad, which previously announced it was launching in-flight nannies, and Emirates, which has revealed plans for shisha lounges on its A380s.

“We want our customers to have the full Saudi experience from the second they board our planes,” Saudi Arabian Airlines said in a statement. “And nothing says Saudi more than the constant fear of arrest.”

Each flight, in and out of the country, will come with “a minimum of two officers from the notorious Mutawa” to help enforce strict Sharia law as defined by the Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice.

“From preventing unaccompanied women from sitting within 50 metres of a man to ensuring passengers don’t watch anything but Quranic verses on the inflight entertainment system, our enforcers will be clamping down on every possible sin through the duration of the flight,” the airline added. "

http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wor...n-flight-religious-police-service/

bastew

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:45 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 27):
I have seen women from foreign carriers with their standard uniform in JED (no head covered). I found it specially surprising for MH which is a Muslim country, so they should follow by example.

It was never actually a requirement for females to wear a head covering through the terminal. Nor do they have to if they leave their room in RUH/JED although it is advisable so as to 'not attract attention'. The former requirement was for the abaya only - ie the formless covering that covers the arms and legs fully.

b747400erf

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:48 pm

Quoting WIederling (Reply 24):

I am rather certain that the IS media releases are prepared by first class commercial professionals.
They are vastly more sophisticated than what was previously placed by islamists.

The Jews!! I knew it!

Quoting zeke (Reply 12):
if they are caught wearing a bra.

Sharia Law would sell better in the west if people knew women would be forced to go bra-less

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 5):
but you know women

I know misogyny when I see it!

Chaostheory

Zeke - look up the word irony.

You spend much of your time here debating the Boeing trolls who propagate myths against the Airbus products to justify their prejudices and yet here, you're doing the same!

snehnath

Quoting zeke (Reply 21):

Aren't all EK flights to KSA turnaround?

bastew

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:50 pm

The dress requirement for female crew isn't the biggest concern. It's more the enforcement of moral standards is at the discretion of the moral police. Nothing actually written down. What is OK by one officer on a Monday isn't by another. What is OK by that same officer may not be ok on Tuesday.

[Edited 2015-12-21 05:56:13]

zeke

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Quoting Chaostheory (Reply 31):

I hear what your saying, I see the irony all the time. Going into the Maldives you are not allowed to bring alcohol in, but you have bars in the hotels and a mini bar in the room.

WIederling

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:54 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 30):
The Jews!! I knew it!

Didn't know PR agencies like Hill & Knowlton were all jewish.
Learned something. Thanks.
Murphy is an optimist

777way

Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:06 pm

Burqa is a specific type of covering worn only in subcontinent and Afghanistan, even the Afghan version worn by Pashtun's only is nothing like the one worn in India, Pakistan etc. only Pashtuns in western Pakistan wear the Afghan version and that too is limited to backward, iliterate types.

They also have a rather professionally aesthetic designed flag.

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 26):

Yes so much ignorence, sharia and religious police were there even when Saudia had western skirt uniforms and crew, the mutawa were never part of the airline at any stage.

AsoRock

Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:39 pm

Quoting Alfons (Reply 7):
omg, really remembers Nazi Germany with the SS on the road. What a culture.

Guys, let us keep away from sensational and irrational reporting. There is no such thing as "Sharia Police" on any airliner or flight operating in KSA. If you are referring to Hai'ya, they operate on land in cities and are increasingly less powerful than years ago, with Saudi society mostly fed up of them anyways.

Quoting bastew (Reply 14):

On flights to/from the UK we can not serve alcohol in their airspace at the request of Saudi authorities.

This is strange, since for countless times I was served alcohol on MEA departing Dammam to Beirut and back, in KSA airspace. I think you are referring to a ban in serving alcohol once ON GROUND in KSA.

Let us put things in perspective here and not feed into the ongoing extreme paranoia against the Islamic faith. I'm not religious at all and never have been, and my female family relatives walk around with their heads or hair NOT covered in KSA. Residing in KSA is not as rosy as Dubai or the west, but it is no where as archaic as the media or personal paranoia paints it.

Cheers!

bastew

Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Quoting AsoRock (Reply 37):
This is strange, since for countless times I was served alcohol on MEA departing Dammam to Beirut and back, in KSA airspace. I think you are referring to a ban in serving alcohol once ON GROUND in KSA.

Hey Asorock. I'm not sure of what happens on other airlines. I can say with 100% certainty that on BA operated flights to KSA it is a requirement from the Saudi authorities that the liquor bars are locked and sealed whilst we are within Saudi airspace. Having worked the route for many years I am absolutely sure of this. RUH/JED are the only routes that have this requirement.

Serving booze on the ground is forbidden on nearly all mid east routes - even secular India does not allow liquor to be served on the aircraft until it is airborne.

777way

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:20 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 27):

Why? if the Saudi's are not strict about the rule on foreigners there is no need too even if muslim, many would not even cover their heads in the holy cities outside of the mosques if Saudi allowed it.

ec99

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:11 pm

Quoting WIederling (Reply 35):
Didn't know PR agencies like Hill & Knowlton were all jewish.Learned something. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure B747400ERF was expressing some English humor. I'm not sure if your comment was meant to be similarly in jest but it comes off as pretty offensive.

For what it is worth, Hill+Knowlton was traditionally a mainline blue blood PR firm in the USA with a history of representing various Islamic countries.

WIederling

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Quoting ec99 (Reply 40):
For what it is worth, Hill+Knowlton was traditionally a mainline blue blood PR firm in the USA with a history of representing various Islamic countries.

obviously:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_%28testimony%29
pretty offensive show of lacking in the ethics department.
Murphy is an optimist

ec99

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Quoting WIederling (Reply 41):
obviously:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_%28testimony%29
pretty offensive show of lacking in the ethics department.

Thanks for clarification. I stand corrected.

Alfons

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Quoting AsoRock (Reply 37):
Let us put things in perspective here

Will never happen, as KSA wouldn't even let me into their country for me to see another perspective DUE to my faith and origins of stamps in my passport. In swiss german you would say now "selber tschuld".

Alfons

turjo101

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:06 pm

2 threads started about sharia related topic - by same poster.

New Malaysian Airline Sharia-Style (by nitepilot79 Dec 20 2015 in Civil Aviation)

777way

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:50 pm

^ Yes could be to stir up hatered, you can never know the intent.

Ferroviarius

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:50 pm

Would Sharia Police be allowed to enter a US plane if that plane was docked on a Saudi airport?

Best,

Ferroviarius

777way

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Sharia police do not man anything air side, I doubt they are even in airport Terminals.

redadeco

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:34 pm

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 13):
They served you booze. You must not be a citizen of the KSA?

No I'm not and I was not questioned about religion/citizenship before getting served. A Saudi friend who was traveling with me on the same flight got served as well, so what?

777Jet

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:42 pm

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 22):
Then it's ironic that ISIL like to use cameras ...

So first class commercial professionals are there to record the killings in person?

Hmmmm....

The Jews!! I knew it!

The plot thickens...

Quoting WIederling (Reply 35):
The Jews!! I knew it!

Didn't know PR agencies like Hill & Knowlton were all jewish.

So Hill & Knowlton are at the killings to record the footage with their cameras...

Bingo!

They sure are!
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos