Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

a3xx900
Topic Author

Explosion At SAW, One Killed

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:39 am

According to Reuters, an explosion went off at SAW, injuring two cleaning staff, one of which died later.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-live-latest-updates-a6783891.html

Apparently the detonation went off in the "landing and loading bay near a Pegasus airplane".
EDIT: Other sources report the explosion went off in the airplane, not the airport. Which makes more sense since the staff was injured while cleaning.

[Edited 2015-12-23 01:46:05]

SCQ83

RE: Explosion At SAW, One Killed

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:39 am

Seriously, how can a grt a bomb to the tarmac? Something very fishy is going on in Turkey... Let's see how it turns out for TK, PG, IST and SAW.

vfw614

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:01 am

As the event occured 11 hours ago, I doubt that we are looking at a bomb scenario. Otherwise we would have breaking news all over the media by now...

TK105

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:20 am

There are claims that it was a mortar attack. There were 3 explosions hundred meters apart. If it is confirmed, I suppose usual suspect will be PKK, testing the weapons received in Syria (giving a message that they can also come in the heart of Istanbul).

vfw614

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:43 am

a3xx900
Topic Author

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:23 pm

I am wondering if it could have been a bomb that was supposed to detonate in-flight but went off too early/late?
Quoting vfw614 (Reply 2):
I doubt that we are looking at a bomb scenario. Otherwise we would have breaking news all over the media by now...

or well-executed censorship to play things down.

TK787

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:23 pm

Pretty scary  
You can see some of the damage here and a map of the tarmac at SAW shows 3 distant locations on the tarmac were hit;
Some say it was a mortar attack.
http://kokpit.aero/sabiha-gokcen-ucaklardaki-hasar

SCQ83

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Which routes had flown the airplane in question? Or where was it due to go?

Unfortunately with the thousands of employees a large airport has (and many of them lowly paid) those issues can become more common. Who controls the controllers?

I wonder how AUH, DOH or DXB cope to keep security in place and avoid this kind of issues. An attack Egypt-style could be a killer for the ME3.

mercure1

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 7):
I wonder how AUH, DOH or DXB cope to keep security in place and avoid this kind of issues.

I would be more worried about staff and safety at major Western airports like LHR and CDG.

Look at CDG and ORY, reports say in last month 70 employees had airport badges revoked due to issues noted with their backgrounds and materials found in searches of lockers. Apparently two workers were even senior staff for airport security company at ORY.

SCQ83

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:02 pm

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 9):
I would be more worried about staff and safety at major Western airports like LHR and CDG.

Look at CDG and ORY, reports say in last month 70 employees had airport badges revoked due to issues noted with their backgrounds and materials found in searches of lockers. Apparently two workers were even senior staff for airport security company at ORY.

It is not remotely comparable.

If something like that would happen in LHR or CDG (hopefully not), after the initial shock and strengthen security measures, people would continue flying to and from London.

The ME3 hubs are a different animal. Most of its traffic is connecting. Most of their success is avoiding the risks of surrounding countries. If something like that happens in any of the ME3 hubs (hopefully not), more people would choose to transit through other airports.

mercure1

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:09 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 10):

If something like that would happen in LHR or CDG (hopefully not), after the initial shock and strengthen security measures, people would continue flying to and from London.

The ME3 hubs are a different animal. Most of its traffic is connecting. Most of their success is avoiding the risks of surrounding countries. If something like that happens in any of the ME3 hubs (hopefully not), more people would choose to transit through other airports.

I dont see it that way.

Europe is the battle ground with repeated incidents over the decades and the place with the PR nightmare.
Look French officials are saying tourism is down in Paris by 20 percent. As the worlds most visited country and with one of the worlds most visited destination cities Paris can you imagine the public relations disaster this is.

I dont recall even the slightest terror/security incident of activity in any ME3 city let alone airport or towards airline. So I feel much safer using DOH or example then ORY.

ALAfly

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Terrible!! RIP and for family and friends..

Just wonder after this issue how safe it is to travel through SAW. As will be there next Monday evening in transit!!

pvjin

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:43 pm

Quoting N415XJ (Reply 14):

Yeah, Qatar, KSA and such don't tolerate terrorism on their own ground, however they don't seem to be very effective at preventing their own citizen from funding terrorism abroad. They also put a lot of effort into exporting their intolerant Salafist Islam worldwide, breeding terrorism in the process.

CrimsonNL

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:47 pm

What I find astounding, is how an airside explosion involving casualties on a busy international airport in a country neighboring Syria, is not picked up by international media.

These days pretty much every blown tire in the industry makes headlines. Remember those gems from the past few weeks?

An A380 making a crosswind landing
"Big plane makes scary landing [sic]" - CNN

A controlled emergency decent of Gulf Air
"Plane Plummets 32,000 Feet In Minutes[sic]" -Evening Standard

Yet nobody is picking up on this? If anything, I think this shows how tight the press in Turkey is controlled. I'm really interested in finding the source of the explosion.

My two (euro)cents,

Martijn

N415XJ

Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:09 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 20):
Yeah, Qatar, KSA and such don't tolerate terrorism on their own ground, however they don't seem to be very effective at preventing their own citizen from funding terrorism abroad. They also put a lot of effort into exporting their intolerant Salafist Islam worldwide, breeding terrorism in the process.

And that's a huge problem, of course (it's especially despicable in the case of the KSA with all the funding they get from the West). However, the point I was making was that these countries are more effective at preventing terrorist attacks within their borders than France, the UK, or the US ever could be. It's one benefit of being geographically small with a small population ruled by a deep-pocketed absolute monarchy/dictatorship.

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 21):

What I find astounding, is how an airside explosion involving casualties on a busy international airport in a country neighboring Syria, is not picked up by international media.

Me too. Big media companies like CNN feed off trivial sensationalist crap, so an explosion at an airport should have them all flocking to Istanbul, but the top story on their website is something about mosquitoes. Even BBC doesn't have it anywhere on their front page. We need to congratulate Erdogan for picking some really excellent censors...

na

Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:11 pm

Der Spiegel reports 5 planes damaged.

AIR MALTA

Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:15 pm

Lancelot, to generalize like you seem to be doing without shame, was Hitler Austrian! There you go!

Spacepope

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:18 pm

Quoting na (Reply 25):

Der Spiegel reports 5 planes damaged.

Thanks for bringing this back on topic. I heard the fatalaty was actually inside one of the aircraft. Any more reports on what aircraft were hit and extent of damage?

SCQ83

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:23 pm

There is terrorism indeed in the Gulf countries.

All the tensions and riots in Bahrain (do not forget their "Arab Spring"), a recent bomb attack with +20 deaths in a mosque in Kuwait City this summer, the riots in Al Qatif in Eastern KSA and random attacks in other cities... even in flashy Abu Dhabi an American caucasian teacher (what a coincidence) was killed in the bathrooms of one the fanciest malls in the city... an unfortunate victim of what probably was just a message to the government.

Don't forget how safe Syria was before 2010! (that looks like ages ago but there were already A380s flying around at that time).

[Edited 2015-12-23 12:24:18]

WIederling

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:57 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 21):
I think this shows how tight the press in Turkey is controlled.

Turkey does not control foreign ( especially US/UK, western, ...) press.

US / UK / Western in general press is controlled by money ... with strong political interests.
it is obvious from watching that there is strong selection / conformity pressure and "facts" are
quite often morphed into the desired shape.

teahan

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:00 pm

Another image here:

a3xx900
Topic Author

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:38 pm

A bit back to topic here....

I too cannot understand how this is not covered by media.
As I said earlier, I can only assume censorship by the Turkish government.

Of course this is speculation but it looks like that was supposed to happen on-air and not on the ground, which I think is very scary.

mercure1

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Quoting a3xx900 (Reply 33):
As I said earlier, I can only assume censorship by the Turkish government.

Its on virtually every Turkish media site with regular updates including the aviation focused ones.

Even English language editions of Turkish media has plenty of stories on it
http://www.todayszaman.com/national_...blast-at-sabiha-gokcen_407708.html
http://www.dailysabah.com/istanbul/2...at-istanbuls-sabiha-gokcen-airport

Certainly no censorship

WIederling

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:06 pm

Quoting a3xx900 (Reply 33):

actually if you use google with "istanbul flughafen explosion" or "instanbul airport explosion" ( adapt for some other language ) you'll see a wide range of hits.

kaitak

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:39 am

If the explosion went off on one aircraft and five others around it were damaged, that suggests a pretty big explosion; it seems incredibly lucky what more were not injured or killed (no consolation to the families of the person killed, I know).

However, it also suggests that whichever aircraft this happened on must have been very seriously damaged, if not DBER?

alberchico

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:13 am

no videos or images of the tarmac yet ???

solarflyer22

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:52 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 36):
If the explosion went off on one aircraft and five others around it were damaged, that suggests a pretty big explosion; it seems incredibly lucky what more were not injured or killed (no consolation to the families of the person killed, I know).

However, it also suggests that whichever aircraft this happened on must have been very seriously damaged, if not DBER?

Yeah that was my thinking. Any kind of an explosion near a plane is bad. It's usually either fuel related or IED related. I suppose compressed gases can go off too from a canister but that's it. Given the airport issue in Sharm El Sheik two months back it seems really suspicious to me.

TK787

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:20 am

http://www.airkule.com/haber/UCAKLARDA-HASAR-VAR/22509
This website says 3 Pegasus and 1 TK plane are damaged, probably by rocket fire from outside the airport. I hope we get some more detailed news soon.

gatibosgru

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:51 am

Quoting art (Reply 24):
You suggest that Muslims could be put on a flight. There are Muslims in Europe who were born in Europe, hold the citizenship of the country they have lived in all their lives. Practical question: where would they be sent?

Wish more people thought about this aspect of it.

TK388

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:00 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 8):
Or it could be a Turkish government false flag to create more hatred against Kurds and their rightful struggle of independence against Erdogan's Islamist dictatorship.

Seriously mate, get a life. This is an aviation thread. Have some respect for the life lost and her loved ones. Keep your political views/motives to your self or post it on political forums.

SCQ83

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:32 am

Quoting teahan (Reply 32):

I don't really understand this attack. Mortar in the main terminal in SAW? I mean, SAW is kind of an "urban airport" that is supposedly to be gated. How is it even possible someone can send mortars to the terminal?

b747400erf

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:35 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 43):

I don't really understand this attack. Mortar in the main terminal in SAW? I mean, SAW is kind of an "urban airport" that is supposedly to be gated. How is it even possible someone can send mortars to the terminal?

Do you not know what a mortar is, and what kind of range it has?

SCQ83

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:46 am

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 44):
mortar

I know well thanks. But SAW is (even at the edge) of a massive urban area. I would have expected more control and vigilance around Istanbul and its second airport. It is not like SAW is an airfield in the middle of nowhere.

Aquila3

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:55 am

What is worrying is that the airport was reopened so early (for what I gathered). How can they feel safe to operate passenger aircrafts under possible mortar fire? Did the police already secure the whole area?
As somebody hinted already, we are speaking of tens or hundreds of square Km.
The main operator there, Pegasus, while horrible for customer service, seems very safety aware. Last year in this exact period they let us stranded at SAW for half a week only for a common issue of weather at destination.

s5daw

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:15 am

Wow, that's crazy. I'm quite frequent at IST, and assuming this can be replicated there is indeed some scary sh**.

SCQ83

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:29 am

Quoting s5daw (Reply 47):

It is scary indeed. The two advantages I see for IST are:

- Geographically it is more isolated than SAW. IST has the Marmara Sea just South and West of it. Also the areas around IST are wealthier (WTC, Atakoy...) and likely to be more secured already. SAW is surrounded by popular areas where I reckon it is easier to hide and use mortar weaponry.

- IST is definitely Turkey's flagship infrastructure, it is in their best interest to avoid any incident there.

MD11Engineer

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:57 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 36):

Three explosions were reported and police found three impacts about 50 to 200 meters aparts from each other. Remains of mortar shell casings have been found as well. This is what I have read on another, military, forum, which is usually well informed

It did not say which size of mortar it was, but both a 60 mm and an 81 mm mortar are man portable. They can be broken down into parts, which can be carried on foot, or will easilyfit intonthe back of a car. Thre shells are not that heavy either (a 60 mm mortar team in the infantry usually consists of 2-3 men, an 81 mm team is a bit bigger, with three men required to carry the components of the dismanteled mortar, and the others carrying the ammunition, usually more than just 3 rounds).

A typical (light) 60 mm mortar has a range of 2-3 km. A typical medium mortar (calibre around 80 mm) has a range of up to 10 km.
It seems that the attackers aimed roughly the the airport terminal and just fired three rounds in quick succession, whichout having a forward observer to correct their aim. This could be done in less than a minute, plus another 5 minutes to take the mortar apart and to vanish (with a light mortar it would take even less time).

Aircraft fuselages are being made from this aluminium sheet metal, which can be easily punctured by a mortar bomb fragment. This is what probably killed the cleaner.

Jan

MD11Engineer

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:17 pm

Too late to edit my previous post, but here is a drawing that shows the location of the impact sites:

http://kokpit.aero//image/data/sabiha%20gokcen/patlama/saldiri4.jpg

From the following Tuekish news article:

http://kokpit.aero/sabiha-gokcen-ucaklardaki-hasar

Jan

mercure1

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 46):
How can they feel safe to operate passenger aircrafts under possible mortar fire?

No different than when LHR was attacked by mortars. Life and operations go on.

According to media reports - LHR runway was closed for mere 31 minutes following the famous IRA attack from adjacent hotel.

Anyhow this incident in Turkey happened at 2am, I doubt there was much of anyone or anything around unlike LHR which occurred during the evening rush hour.

TK787

Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:44 pm

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 51):
Anyhow this incident in Turkey happened at 2am, I doubt there was much of anyone or anything around

AFAIK, SAW is closed between 1-5:00 am due to construction for a while.

1g

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:00 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 43):

There is a forest adjacent to SAW.

I heard that the police went on a manhunt in the adjacent forest because they believed the mortars were fired from there. But these are just rumors and nothing has been confirmed yet...

But given the information we have now I'm convinced this was a mortar strike.

ALAfly

Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:19 am

Are there registrations of the AC's involved?

Yakamoz

Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:31 am

According to Airporthaber, one of the birds is TC-CPV (Pegasus).

Aesma

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:40 pm

No more info on this ?

YoungMans

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:48 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 43):

No more info on this ?

Yeah, I'm surprised too.
A mortar attack at an airport is no light matter. One would have expected that a lot more information is forthcoming, either through media outlets or like here on A.net.
It looks like that people are far too accepting that things this serious are swept under the "Couldn't-Care-Less-Carpet".

Edit: Spelling error

[Edited 2015-12-27 17:52:35]

redzeppelin

Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:17 am

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos