Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jhooper
Topic Author

No More TSA "Opt Out"

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:56 pm

Sorry if it's already posted, but I couldn't find it. Just read on cnn.com that there is no longer the option of "opting out" from the body scanner. They can now direct you to go through the advanced imaging technology whether you want to or not.

I figured we'd get to this point eventually. They just had to do it incrementally.

Thoughts?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

cedarjet

RE: No More TSA "Opt Out"

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:57 pm

How bad are those things? The guys who make them must be frequent fliers, if they were really dangerous, would they allow them?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

IndianicWorld

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:59 pm

Seems strange people could opt out anyway.

What were valid reasons for opting out?

HPAEAA

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:01 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 2):

Seems strange people could opt out anyway.

What were valid reasons for opting out?

For some it was privacy concerns, others were considered about the regular doses of radiatioN.
1.4mm and counting...

IndianicWorld

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:07 am

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 3):
For some it was privacy concerns, others were considered about the regular doses of radiatioN.

Unless there was some medically certified reason why this would be harmful to a person then I wouldn't have thought any opt-out clause should be made available.

Good to see the rules being tightened up.

deltaffindfw

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:12 am

Remember, in the beginning, the software showed your exact body. So, the TSA people could see the size of your "package" or breasts very clearly. Of course, the software is now fixed to show a cartoon figure.

Also, the old scanners did have conflicting stories about the radiation levels it emitted. Those machines are gone from all major airports. There might be a few very small airports that still have them. The new ones are deemed safe.

HPAEAA

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:18 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 4):
Unless there was some medically certified reason why this would be harmful to a person then I wouldn't have thought any opt-out clause should be made available.

When they rolled them out there wasn't a lot of studies on the effects of exposure to these levels of radiation short term or long term, honestly don't know if they have done any more but the opt out was to allow people a choice given there is no evidence either way. Let's put it this way, you don't always have to prove harm, sometimes when exposing millions to something you want to prove its safe before it becomes mandatory. Not sure the reason they gave for eliminating- the pat downs are pretty thorough.. Even wondered if I should call the next day a few times lol.
1.4mm and counting...

northwestEWR

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:53 am

How does this effect Known Crewmembers? Are they going to be forced through the body scanners?
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

AAlaxfan

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:55 am

Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

Cubsrule

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:01 am

I'm not sure that this change will effect things much at all. The article suggests that "mandated screening" is not going to happen all the time, and the best way to avoid the scanners remains enrolling in Precheck, which is not difficult these days.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

northwestEWR

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:16 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 9):
best way to avoid the scanners remains enrolling in Precheck, which is not difficult these days.

I've been noticing the body scanners more and more in the PreCheck line. Sadly.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

nry

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:24 am

Even in Pre-check they do random scanning. I got picked twice in the last month (SFO and LAX).

I've always opted out. Having a wife who is a radiologist has made me wary of any additional radiation (it's all cumulative). It's definitely more inconvenient because they have to pat you down. Sad to see it go if true.
B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, B787, DC9/MD80, DC10, MD11
A319, A320 (+neo), A321, A330, A340
L1011
ATR77, CRJ200, CRJ700, E145, E170, E175

nyc2theworld

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:22 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 7):
How does this effect Known Crewmembers? Are they going to be forced through the body scanners?

They aren't now. I don't see why this would change.
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

Cubsrule

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:30 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 10):
I've been noticing the body scanners more and more in the PreCheck line. Sadly.

Most Precheck lines have them and have always had them. Random selectees and those who cannot get through the mag go through them.

Quoting nry (Reply 11):
Having a wife who is a radiologist has made me wary of any additional radiation (it's all cumulative).

What evidence exists that millimeter wave radiation has health effects? Backscatter machines have been gone for more than two years.

RWA380

Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:15 am

Quoting jhooper (Thread starter):
Sorry if it's already posted, but I couldn't find it. Just read on cnn.com that there is no longer the option of "opting out" from the body scanner. They can now direct you to go through the advanced imaging technology whether you want to or not

A voluntary opt out is such a small percentage of flyers, who wants to be groped by a handsy TSA agent, when they can raise their arms once & get it over with? But there are for real medical reasons why people are unable to use them.

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 2):
Seems strange people could opt out anyway

My good friend has a pacemaker & is medically unable to to pass through these scanners. There is ALWAYS some TSA agent unfamiliar with the request or process & of course as persons in his party, we all get extra screening.

For some it was privacy concerns, others were considered about the regular doses of radiatioN

I'm sure many will see this as another right being taken away from them, can't please everyone I guess.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

sccutler

Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:08 am

It's symptom of resistance to an inefficient and unnecessary agency.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Mir

Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:12 am

Quoting nry (Reply 11):
It's definitely more inconvenient because they have to pat you down.

The patdown doesn't take long, and since sometimes you can skip the line for the detector by requesting the patdown it's never really been an inconvenience for me. I'm disappointed to see the option go away.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jetwet1

Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:34 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 14):
My good friend has a pacemaker & is medically unable to to pass through these scanners. There is ALWAYS some TSA agent unfamiliar with the request or process & of course as persons in his party, we all get extra screening.

Very true, though as ever it seems to be certain airports that stick out, yes FLL i'm looking at you.

opethfan

Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:44 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 4):
Good to see the rules being tightened up.

Why? What does the scanner achieve, and what does it achieve that a pat down does not?

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 13):
What evidence exists that millimeter wave radiation has health effects? Backscatter machines have been gone for more than two years.

Well there have been countless things over the years that have had health effects unforseen for many many years. Smoking, excessive red meat, certain sugars and sweeteners, medications (birth control patches and thalidomide come to mind), etc. And last I checked, the backscatter machines were being moved to smaller airports as they were being moved out of the majors getting MMW.

Quoting deltaffindfw (Reply 5):
Remember, in the beginning, the software showed your exact body. So, the TSA people could see the size of your "package" or breasts very clearly. Of course, the software is now fixed to show a cartoon figure.

It's a software "skin" - the image is still taken and presumably saved. The output just shows the dummy man.

I'm sure many will see this as another right being taken away from them, can't please everyone I guess.

Well who does it please? The companies that profit from these machines and the corrupt politicians they lobby. No one else.

Quoting Mir (Reply 16):
The patdown doesn't take long, and since sometimes you can skip the line for the detector by requesting the patdown it's never really been an inconvenience for me. I'm disappointed to see the option go away.

It's always fun to ask for the freedom fondle and subtly stick the package out.

My advice to anyone who doesn't approve: go to the pharmacy and buy a $10 arm sling. Boom, medical exception.

Edit: here is a link to the restraining order lawsuit that has been filed in the US First Circuit Court of Appeals: https://plus.google.com/+saizai/posts/ZDxd9Y6dTow

[Edited 2015-12-23 22:55:09]

rbavfan

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:55 am

The newer machines do not affect pacemakers nor did the old ones. It's not like the old pacemakers and microwave ovens.

csavel

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:07 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 1):
How bad are those things? The guys who make them must be frequent fliers, if they were really dangerous, would they allow them?

They guys who make them fly on private jets. After all let us not forget that a former head of Homeland Security just "happened" to become a lobbyist for a company who made the original machines. While I am picking on him, let's be frank, I am sure *every* high exec ot a federal agency belonging to *both* parties does the same thing. Kind of the reason for taking that job in the first place. Follow the money as they said in All the President's men.

The contractor-industrial complex!
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

apfpilot

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:38 pm

I used to opt out because I didn't like the backscatter machines (which don't really exist anymore anyway) and because they didn't have the ATD, and I frankly didn't trust the security protocols they had to delete the images. Now that they have ATD and just MW machines I have no problem going through them. Now however I have precheck so it is pretty much a moot point.
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

LTU932

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:25 pm

I don't mind those machines anymore. In DFW, I went through them everytime, the same last week in HAM. I didn't have to go through them in EWR, but if told by TSA, I would have gone through one of them no questions asked.

In recent years, all those reports from the media about health concerns on things like red meat, the AIT bodyscanners, etc. have come off very tabloid-ish, even from legit media sources like tagesschau.de, so I take things with a grain of salt. Yes, health concerns may exist, but they're not immediately life threatening.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

N1120A

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:49 pm

This is a disgusting, unamerican and clear cut violation of human rights and needs to be stopped. The opt-out was the only reason there wasn't yet a legal challenge. That is probably going to change.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

N766UA

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 23):

Seems to me the "human rights" issue here is my right to not be blown out of the sky.

Seriously, you feel like getting your junk groped by a mallcop was less "unamerican?" (Whatever that even is?)

[Edited 2015-12-24 06:03:46]

delimit

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:06 pm

This is a disgusting, unamerican and clear cut violation of human rights and needs to be stopped.

How so?

apfpilot

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 24):
Seems to me the "human rights" issue here is my right to not be blown out of the sky.

Seriously, you feel like getting your junk groped by a mallcop was less "unamerican?" (Whatever that even is?)

So how far are you willing to forgo the 4th amendment and the 5th amendment to avoid that?
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

delimit

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:34 pm

Quoting apfpilot (Reply 26):
So how far are you willing to forgo the 4th amendment and the 5th amendment to avoid that?

It really depends on your definition of unreasonable. I don't see how you can make an argument that these scanners cross that line when the old metal detectors don't. As for the 5th, huh?

N766UA

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Quoting apfpilot (Reply 26):

Don't start throwing that stuff at me. You aren't an expert on the constitution, especially not on where or how it pertains to air travel in the 21st century. (Seriously, the 5th?)

If you want to argue that you don't like the scanners, that's completely fine. If you want to argue that security in general is a farse, that's also fine, and I agree. But seriously I'm sick of all the "constitutional experts" in this country who think saying the word "amendment" makes them sound intelligent.

Oh, and to answer your question: to the extent neccessary to keep me from hitting a building at 500 knots, or falling 35,000 feet whilst on fire. THAT is my line.

[Edited 2015-12-24 06:43:38]

Armodeen

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:43 pm

[quote=IndianicWorld,reply=4]

Not directly at you but the thread in general...

So human rights don't matter when it comes to body scanners, but HANDS OFF OUR GUNS, its our constitutional right!!

apfpilot

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Quoting delimit (Reply 27):
As for the 5th, huh?
Quoting N766UA (Reply 28):
(Seriously, the 5th?)

Due Process...

As I said above I have no issues with the scanners and I go through them when needed. I just get a bit peeved at people who claim that they don't care about things as long as they "prevent terrorism" What if the government mandated that everyone had to take an approved reversible sleeping pill before they could get on an airplane, it would eliminate all air terrorism but would that be too far?

delimit

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:54 pm

How does this change even remotely infringe on someone's right to due process?

Quoting apfpilot (Reply 30):
I just get a bit peeved at people who claim that they don't care about things as long as they "prevent terrorism"

100% agree, and I definitely see the issues with regards to the 4th. My problem is that I don't see the scanners as any more infringing than the old detectors. The efficacy of the entire process of searching passengers is a different discussion.

Preventing terror is the modern equivalent of crying wolf.

delimit

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:58 pm

Don't start throwing that stuff at me. You aren't an expert on the constitution, especially not on where or how it pertains to air travel in the 21st century. (Seriously, the 5th?)

Stop burying your head in the sand. The document should be read and interpreted by every member of the population. It's part of being a responsible member of a democracy.

Oh, and to answer your question: to the extent neccessary to keep me from hitting a building at 500 knots, or falling 35,000 feet whilst on fire. THAT is my line.

The government needs to provide actual justification to the population for infringing on its rights and [email protected]! is not sufficient justification.

I take issue with people using the change from the old detectors to the scanners because what they are really objecting to is the entire search process, which is a different discussion. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be talking about that.

apfpilot

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:01 pm

Quoting delimit (Reply 31):

How does this change even remotely infringe on someone's right to due process?

There is an inherent liberty interest in the right to travel. Denying someone that because they won't submit to a body scan is a deprivation of liberty without due process of law. HAVING said that I do think that the government meets the burden required to deprive that with something as innocuous as AIT but it is always important to be cognizant of that right and be wary of it being infringed.

apfpilot

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:03 pm

Quoting delimit (Reply 32):

I take issue with people using the change from the old detectors to the scanners because what they are really objecting to is the entire search process, which is a different discussion. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be talking about that.

I can see someone making a difference between the metal detectors which are a detection not a search, and the AIT (or pat down) which by their very nature are searches. If Stop and Frisk is unconstitutional one could argue why isn't AIT? (again note I think the government interest and the minimal invasiveness of the AIT is justified.)

delimit

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:04 pm

Quoting apfpilot (Reply 33):
There is an inherent liberty interest in the right to travel.

What is being changed is the method of the search; not the search itself.

Denying someone that because they won't submit to a body scan is a deprivation of liberty without due process of law.

You're denying them access to a method of travel; not denying their right to do so.

HAVING said that I do think that the government meets the burden required to deprive that with something as innocuous as AIT but it is always important to be cognizant of that right and be wary of it being infringed.

100% agree.

Cubsrule

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Quoting opethfan (Reply 18):
Well there have been countless things over the years that have had health effects unforseen for many many years. Smoking, excessive red meat, certain sugars and sweeteners, medications (birth control patches and thalidomide come to mind), etc.

Right, but there's a scientific reason each of them is harmful (and, in most cases, scientists sounding the alarm long before general acceptance). What is there with MMW?

Quoting opethfan (Reply 18):
And last I checked, the backscatter machines were being moved to smaller airports as they were being moved out of the majors getting MMW.

Rapiscan could not comply with the statutory directive on "masking" body traits, so the backscatter machines are now illegal. I can't swear that they are all physically gone, but I don't think anyone is using them in the States.

apfpilot

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Quoting delimit (Reply 35):
You're denying them access to a method of travel; not denying their right to do so.

You are however undoubtedly putting a substantial burden on that right. Rights don't have to be completely removed for the taking to be unconstitutional. Look at Heller v. DC or McDonald v. Chicago. The 2A right wasn't completely denied infact but was for all practical purposes.

delimit

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Quoting apfpilot (Reply 37):

You are however undoubtedly putting a substantial burden on that right. Rights don't have to be completely removed for the taking to be unconstitutional. Look at Heller v. DC or McDonald v. Chicago. The 2A right wasn't completely denied infact but was for all practical purposes.

It's true; although Heller is massively questionable in a lot of people's minds. That said, there's enough ambiguity there that both of us could argue about it till we're blue in the face and not get anywhere.  

As for undue burden; it's an interesting conversation seeing as no one had access to this means of travel when the document guaranteeing our rights was written.

copter808

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Quoting deltaffindfw (Reply 5):
The new ones are deemed safe.

Deemed safe by WHO??

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 13):
What evidence exists that millimeter wave radiation has health effects?

What evidence exists that they are SAFE?

apfpilot

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Quoting delimit (Reply 38):
It's true; although Heller is massively questionable in a lot of people's minds.

How about Thomas' dissent in McDonald arguing against incorporation completely!

1337Delta764

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:50 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 36):
Rapiscan could not comply with the statutory directive on "masking" body traits, so the backscatter machines are now illegal. I can't swear that they are all physically gone, but I don't think anyone is using them in the States.

Note that the TSA did sign a contract with AS&E for a potential new backscatter machine (with appropriate privacy software installed), however, I don't know what became of this contract. Around the same time, a contract was also signed with Smiths Detection for another model of MMW scanner in addition to the L-3 scanners already deployed.

delimit

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:55 pm

Quoting apfpilot (Reply 40):
How about Thomas' dissent in McDonald arguing against incorporation completely!

Was that Thomas? I thought he was part of the main opinion.

einsteinboricua

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:59 pm

others were considered about the regular doses of radiatioN.
Quoting copter808 (Reply 39):

The fact that you get a higher dose of radiation undergoing X-rays and MRI should be a good indicator of just how negligible the effects from the scanners are. The day I see people asking to be cut open to avoid x-rays is the day I'll relent and say that they should not permit people to go through scanners. In the meantime, it's just hysteria with absolutely no foundation.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

apfpilot

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Quoting delimit (Reply 42):
Was that Thomas? I thought he was part of the main opinion.

Whoops meant concurrence.

delimit

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 43):
The fact that you get a higher dose of radiation undergoing X-rays and MRI should be a good indicator of just how negligible the effects from the scanners are.

To be fair, very few people get MRIs or X-Rays daily. It's not a good response to worries about the long term effects of airport scanners.

Quoting apfpilot (Reply 44):
Whoops meant concurrence.

I tend to avoid reading Thomas's opinions. My blood pressure can't take it. Scalia is at least entertaining.

[Edited 2015-12-24 08:08:18]

hiflyeras

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:13 pm

This is a disgusting, unamerican and clear cut violation of human rights and needs to be stopped. The opt-out was the only reason there wasn't yet a legal challenge. That is probably going to change.

At first I thought this was said in jest...but then turned on the news. Scary times.

There is an inherent liberty interest in the right to travel. Denying someone that because they won't submit to a body scan is a deprivation of liberty without due process of law.

You're free to take a train, drive, take a bus. But of course all of them will likely require you to show identification at some point in your journey or, in the case of renting a car, not only prove your age but also carry a credit card. Ted Cruz will likely have you paying in gold bars. Is it also an undue burden to carry government issued I.D.?

Quoting delimit (Reply 35):

Quoting delimit (Reply 38):
As for undue burden; it's an interesting conversation seeing as no one had access to this means of travel when the document guaranteeing our rights was written.

Just like Scalia and Thomas believe that the US Constitution is written in the blood of the founders and can't be interpreted for the 21st Century. Pardon me while I go load my musket to defend everyone's freedoms.

MKIAZ

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 43):
The fact that you get a higher dose of radiation undergoing X-rays and MRI should be a good indicator of just how negligible the effects from the scanners are

MRI's don't produce ionizing radiation.

I think we'll suddenly see a surge of people who can't lift their arms above their head.

nkops

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:18 pm

The way I understood it, is only selctees cannot opt out anymore
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

Cubsrule

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:47 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 39):

If you won't do things that are not proven safe, then you shouldn't fly (due to radiation exposure, which can be and has been quantified) or drive a car (one of the most dangerous things most people do on a regular basis). If that's how you want to live, then that's your prerogative. I choose to live my life differently.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos