Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

canyonblue17
Topic Author

Day After Christmas Prices

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:07 am

Just for kicks, (I know I need another hobby), I took a look at ticket prices on December 26th from the New York City area to my home airport of PBI here in Florida. I was shocked at the prices - and I work for an airline. These are one-way fares. United was $841 from Newark. Delta was $962 from JFK. But the highest price was $987 one-way on JetBlue from White Plains. I get that it is one of the busiest travel days of the year - but ouch. Those same seats in a few weeks are selling for almost 1/10th the price.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

copter808

RE: Day After Christmas Prices

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:44 am

Works the other way too. I have bought a last minute one way from ORD-ATL for about $38 (after a 20% discount) but including all taxes. Put me in front of the non-rev line that way. Ticket was purchased an hour or so before the departure so it would likely have been unsold anyway.

BUT...all the non-revs got on and there were still a few empty seats! Lost the $38 gamble, but at least I got where I needed to be.

dc10lover

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:58 am

Always book at least 3 months in advance. Yes, months.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

N62NA

Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:15 am

I'm flying JFK-MIA on December 27th. I usually purchase F, but on the flight I wanted (the AA 77W - yes, AA is flying a 777-300 JFK-MIA on the 27th) they wanted over $1,000. So.... I had to "settle" and purchase coach, but at least I'm flying in the Business Class cabin.  

gabrielchew

Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Quoting canyonblue17 (Thread starter):
Just for kicks, (I know I need another hobby), I took a look at ticket prices on December 26th from the New York City area to my home airport of PBI here in Florida. I was shocked at the prices - and I work for an airline. These are one-way fares. United was $841 from Newark. Delta was $962 from JFK. But the highest price was $987 one-way on JetBlue from White Plains. I get that it is one of the busiest travel days of the year - but ouch. Those same seats in a few weeks are selling for almost 1/10th the price.

Is this anything to do with Christmas, or are you just showing that next day tickets are more expensive that advance tickets?  
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

mcr

Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:36 pm

Quoting DC10LOVER (Reply 2):
Always book at least 3 months in advance. Yes, months.

That's fine if you know what you'll be doing and where you want to be three months in advance. Apart from perhaps the odd vacation or event planned a long way ahead, I very rarely do and I suspect most people don't.

compensateme

Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:42 pm

It's always pricy to travel during the Holiday stretch, but you can get good deals if your search is aggressive enough and you book early. Outside of the Holiday stretch, the months of December and January are the slowest of the year for air travel and typically yield the best deals.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

ACDC8

Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Those same seats in a few weeks are selling for almost 1/10th the price.

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I'd be willing to bet that the seats you saw a few weeks ago for 1/10th of the price were sold a few weeks ago.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ZKCIF

Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:04 am

In 12 hours, I am flying on TK VNO-IST-ADB (plus return). The tickets on DEC 26 were dirt cheap, for the 27th they were quite expensive (I bought on about OCT 20) - most probably because Lithuanians don't want to fly on the 26th but they do fly on the 27th.

rta

Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:05 am

I took a look at ticket prices on December 26th from the New York City area to my home airport of PBI here in Florida.

On the flip side, flights from Florida are quite cheap right now, even when booking only a few hours out.

dc10lover

Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:21 am

Quoting compensateme (Reply 6):

Plus February is a slow month.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

Cubsrule

Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:10 am

Quoting mcr (Reply 5):
That's fine if you know what you'll be doing and where you want to be three months in advance. Apart from perhaps the odd vacation or event planned a long way ahead, I very rarely do and I suspect most people don't.

Short of a good sale, I don't book much leisure travel more than a month out. We travel every year around Christmas and I book the week after Thanksgiving. I wouldn't do this if I had zero schedule flexibility (e.g. getting on a cruise), but it generally works well. Revenue management has changed tremendously in the past decade or so, and prices are much more apt to go down than they once were.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

gocaps16

Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:07 pm

United was $841 from Newark. Delta was $962 from JFK. But the highest price was $987 one-way on JetBlue from White Plains

It sucks. I would rather drive myself or if I'm taking my family, it would be cheaper renting an aircraft and fly them myself.
I booked a ticket to Asia in June on Air Canada from DC. With a short layover in Canada, it was only $1050 return. Normally, I usually spend $2000 during the summer season.

michman

Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:22 pm

I'm currently seeing walk-up B6 fares for HPN-PBI non-stop at $534-$599 for flights today. A number of JFK-PBI flight are available at $425. OP must have been looking at some absurd, double-connect job that no one would actually book.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos