Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usflyguy
Topic Author

DL 2291 JFK-SJU Diverting To ATL.

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:39 am

Anyone have any information why 2291 is diverting to ATL? Looks like it was diverting to ATL as soon as it departed JFK.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

usflyguy
Topic Author

RE: DL 2291 JFK-SJU Diverting To ATL.

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:41 am

My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

phljjs

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:48 am

It looks to be delayed 4+ hours leaving JFK. The crew is probably going to "time out." ATL probably has plenty of reserve crews available to continue the flight. The passengers would likely be happier to reach SJU late rather than not at all if the flight had gotten cancelled.

Deltran757

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:43 am

it was a changed of pilots. I was there. IROP situation. I think the pilots timed out, so we had a fresh set of pilots continue the SJU route.
To see the world... One plane at a time

clrd4t8koff

Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Quoting Deltran757 (Reply 3):
it was a changed of pilots. I was there. IROP situation. I think the pilots timed out, so we had a fresh set of pilots continue the SJU route.

That's interesting considering JFK isn't some small outstation for DL. They couldn't find replacement pilots there or pull pilots from another Caribbean bound 738 until reserve pilots at the JFK base could come in?

VS4ever

Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:58 pm

so this is how ATL gets to 100m+ pax a year..... nice move DL.   

Just kidding, bummer for them not to go straight there, but safety first i guess. But I agree, surprise there wasn't a replacement crew available at JFK for them.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

ss278

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:40 pm

Its Christmas and near the end of the month. If you read any of the pilot boards you'll see that several are happy that they have already "timed out" for the month. I have a friend who flies the A-320 and on reserve. He's been "through" since December 23rd.

If you're going to find a reserve crew with hours remaining in December, ATL is probably the best place to do it.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:27 am

At all times of the year it can be difficult to find reserve crews. Airlines dont keep tons of crews sitting around waiting. On top of all that, pilots are only qualified by airlines on one type of equipment at once. A 757/767 captain cannot fly a 737. Thus just because a pilot domicile is large, it doesnt mean there are a ton of crews on each type. Even at a large domicile, reserve availability can vary as at times all are needed.

One thing nobody considered was if the crew time out was caused by an excessive taxi delay, returning to the gate and re-crewing is both time consuming and could make things worse. Pilots need to be called out from home usually or they are junior manned from another inbound flight at the end of their original schedule. Reserve pilots start their duty day when they start their availability period not when the show up at the airport. The inbound junior manned crew started their day whenever they signed in that morning. In both cases, if the taxi congestion still exists then you can easily run into the new crew being timed out.

If you have a legal crew in ATL and the delays in ATL are not bad then it makes more sense to re-crew there then to risk a second crew being timed out a JFK. Keep the flight moving by getting it out of the constrained area.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos