Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

Russell Crowe Fuming At Virgin Australia

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:04 pm

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

iahcsr

RE: Russell Crowe Fuming At Virgin Australia

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Let him fume... The lithium batteries on hoverboards have shown a nasty propensity to burst into flame. Many airlines have banned them for that reason. No exception for celebrities
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

YVRFlyer

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:17 pm

He's becoming more like the South Park version of himself every day! As Marie Antoinette would say if she were alive today, "let them fly private".
YVRFlyer

wingman

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:17 pm

There's also fine print throughout many carrier rule books that actors have to make a semi decent film in the prior decade to get fawned over as they squeal like overpaid self-entitled douche nozzles. I'd say VA threw him a pretty major bone just for overlooking that one.

roseflyer

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Most airlines are refusing to carry hoverboards as checked luggage or in the cabin. Spare lithium ion batteries are also restricted. The hoverboard batteries have a propensity to catch fire. A fire extinguisher will not necessarily put out a lithium ion battery fire.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

TKA380

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:31 pm

He's a mug. Honestly.

iahcsr

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:34 pm

Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

CrimsonNL

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Quoting iahcsr (Reply 6):

Best this not happen on an aircraft

And right now the technology is relatively new, so there's only "A" brands involved. Just wait until the poor quality knock-offs start flooding the market..

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

jetblueguy22

Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:23 pm

We don't even let people ship them individually by air at UPS. They're going to let them onto a passenger aircraft? Think again Russell.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

EK413

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:57 pm

Celebrity no celebrity there's no exceptions for anyone if an airline bans its due to safety concerns. Russell can go jump safety always comes first!

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

rampbro

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:15 pm

How is Russell going to be able to fight all over the world if he can't bring his hoverboards with him. Tuggah!

rotating14

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:14 pm

http://qz.com/582542/chinas-makeshif...ng-after-amazons-safety-crackdown/

One of the largest retailers on the globe is going through great lengths to protect themselves from these things (I refuse to say hoverboard because it's not hovering over anything). Crowe can sit in the corner for all concerned. What an idiot.

slvrblt

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:19 pm

It's all about me, me, me,me,me,me,me,me,me. The heck with everyone else.

''I'm a father!!!! What?!!!! My kid can't take his toy???????????????? What's wrong with you people???    
..everything works out in the end.

Falcon Flyer

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:15 am

He just needs to drink a big cup of STFU. Then ask the families of the crew of UPS 6 and others how they feel about the lithium batteries issue.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

WearyDrover

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:41 am

So Crowe didn't bother to read the prohibited substances list and it is somehow the airline's fault?

Funny how Crowe says that he is a father yet he's the one behaving childishly.

I am sure that Virgin are mortified that he'll walk in future.  
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

crownvic

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:38 am

This guy has always had a reputation for being one of Hollywood's biggest jerks and is known to stiff waiters/waitresses and other service industry staff. Absolutely no surprise here.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:48 am

Huge props to the check in crew for not bowing to his demands. Give them a bonus.

I'm now much more likely to fly Virgin Aus due to stories like this.

coolian2

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:50 am

The big question - did he end up flying anyone?
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

qf2220

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:56 am

And you know we had just reversed our earlier decision to not accept him as Australian (he is really a Kiwi) after his phone throwing spat in NYC! His work with South Sydney Rabbitohs seemed to have redeemed him and he was back in Aus, but this might put those efforts back a little!

PanHAM

Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:08 am

Better Russel Crowe is fuming on the ground than a hoverboard in mid-air
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

col

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:27 am

Great Advertising for Virgin Australia, well done for putting him straight and other passengers are kept safe.

YoungMans

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:05 am

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 17):

The big question - did he end up flying anyone?

No - A local paper reported that he apparently hired a car to drive from Sydney to his place near Coffs Harbour; about a five or six hours drive.
And good on Virgin Australia for standing firm on that.

VHOGU

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:48 am

Please let it be known that this guy actually belongs to New Zealand.. 

I'm glad he got put in his place. Its the same rules for everyone else, and his celebrity status won't do him any good during a fire onboard.

bastew

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:57 am

What an absolute FOOL. Why do these people always think they should receive special treatment?? I mean if you mess up behave in a dignified manner - by all means try your luck and see if you can get some flexibility using grace and charm - but to behave in this manner for HIS mistake is just really uncouth. I mean seriously - how much is the guy worth?? Donate the two hoverboards left in Sydney to a kids charity and buy some more at your destination - GREAT pr.

The whole 'where is your responsibility in this' claim by him towards Virgin is just sickening. Oh OK - so Virgin should contact every passenger individually to highlight that 'just to let you know you can't check in a camping stove'. Then send another email 'just to let you know you can only take a crossbow if it's in your checked baggage'. I mean SERIOUSLY! He just reminds me of those kinds of people that will get blind drunk, walk off the edge of a cliff then sue that there was no fence at the edge of the cliff because it has to be someone elses responsibility.

lhrnue

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:37 am

Quoting YoungMans (Reply 21):
No - A local paper reported that he apparently hired a car to drive from Sydney to his place near Coffs Harbour; about a five or six hours drive.

Did he drive or hover to his place?

He is not just a father in this case. He is a person with 1.85 follower on Twitter. This not only comes with power but also with responsibility. Bashing publicly the airline for his private f**k up is not fair.

ScottishDavie

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:48 am

Quoting lhrnue (Reply 24):
He is not just a father in this case. He is a person with 1.85 follower on Twitter. This not only comes with power but also with responsibility. Bashing publicly the airline for his private f**k up is not fair.

The comments on the original Yahoo article are almost uniformly hostile to Mr Crowe. Most people on that site seem to get the airline's point without any difficulty. Does anybody care what his Twitter followers think? I certainly don't.

26point2

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:52 am

Quoting YVRFlyer (Reply 2):
He's becoming more like the South Park version of himself every day! As Marie Antoinette would say if she were alive today, "let them fly private".

Not so fast. I fly private and my operator has also recently banned these devices from being carried on board any of their planes.

ndhair37

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:29 pm

Someone else said it and I agree with them - if he is so bloody minted and above the rules and regulations of the commercial airlines that every other person has to put up with... Then he can charter a Jet and see if they like Lithium batteries.

All of these celebrities think that a Tweet which flames the company will suddenly get them some sort of preferential treatment. They need to learn that regulations are for all. Otherwise, stay at home!

sejtam

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 19):
Better Russel Crowe is fuming on the ground than a hoverboard in mid-air

+1

Revo1059

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:10 pm

Wait a minute. What I got from the article is that he was pissed that there was no advance notification that it's now a restricted item. A month ago I saw these things being taken on flights as carry-ons. Since these things are so popular it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the airlines to add a notice on their site or at time of booking that hoverboards are now restricted. It was probably a $1k piece of hardware (I'm sure he didn't buy the cheap one) he either had to ship, throw out or have someone come pick up.

Not everyone follows every change that the airlines make (like all of us experts here do).

TKA380

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:31 pm

He dreamed a dream that he could take those hover boards on the aircraft                     

mcr

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:00 pm

Virgin Australia couldn't be much clearer on this. They have a whole page about batteries on their web site that tells you these aren't permitted:

http://www.virginaustralia.com/uk/en/plan/baggage/batteries/

... and they specifically call out "Lithium battery operated small recreational vehicles" as prohibited on their Dangerous Goods page:

http://www.virginaustralia.com/uk/en/plan/baggage/dangerous-goods/

Revo1059

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:09 pm

Yes, but it doesn't say anything if you just go book a ticket. I'm saying since this particular item is something that is:

a) now popular
b) was allowed until very recently. I saw them taken as carry-ons when I flew in September.

Point B is the key. It probably wouldn't hurt to add it (for a while) as a note on the booking screens. I would suggest the same if the rules for liquids was changed from 3 to 2 oz. I generally don't hunt around every time I book a ticket to see what has changed. Would I pitch a fit over a $3 bottle of X? Not really. Would I have a hard time with a $1k item? Yep.

26point2

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:12 pm

So he didn't read the T&Cs and finer points of dangerous goods restrictions...who does? But clearly Russell Crowe couldnt be bothered to follow the news either. Banning of these devices has been talked about extensively all month....even in Australia and New Zealand I would surmise.

Aesma

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:19 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 7):
And right now the technology is relatively new, so there's only "A" brands involved. Just wait until the poor quality knock-offs start flooding the market..

Martijn

Actually it's a Chinese product with no "A" brand backing it, and that's part of the problem. The idea was probably stolen from an American, though.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:27 pm

Quoting VHOGU (Reply 22):
Please let it be known that this guy actually belongs to New Zealand..

Oh hell no, he wants to be one of you lot and we would love it if you could take him.

UKtoOzFlyer

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:21 am

Quoting Revo1059 (Reply 32):
Yes, but it doesn't say anything if you just go book a ticket. I'm saying since this particular item is something that is:

a) now popular
b) was allowed until very recently. I saw them taken as carry-ons when I flew in September.

I get that Rusty was annoyed at being told he could not take these devices onboard and he felt he had not been sufficiently warned. Whilst the frequent flyers amongst the general population sat up and read the news articles as it was aviation related, I get it that ignorant or non news reading folk would have no idea you could not take these things on a plane.

My wife asked me why.... She had not read the news articles about these devices.

My annoyance with Rusty is the tone of the Tweet.

"Offloaded"

"Never again"

"Goodbye Virgin"

It's childish and petulant.

YVRFlyer

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:46 am

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 26):
Not so fast. I fly private and my operator has also recently banned these devices from being carried on board any of their planes.

Good move! They sound like a sensible operator. Have all the other private ops banned these as well?
YVRFlyer

IPFreely

Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:09 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 9):

Celebrity no celebrity there's no exceptions for anyone if an airline bans its due to safety concerns

Celebrity? The last time he was in a movie shown as in-flight entertainment it was on a DC-3. He's been a washed-up has-been for decades.

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:31 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 38):
Celebrity? The last time he was in a movie shown as in-flight entertainment it was on a DC-3. He's been a washed-up has-been for decades.

Do you know who he is? He's hardly a washed up has been.

IPFreely

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:04 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 39):

Do you know who he is? He's hardly a washed up has been.

You're right. He used to be a washed up has been, but not anymore. Even that doesn't last forever.

Revo1059

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:04 pm

Quote:

That's funny.

Quote:
I get that Rusty was annoyed at being told he could not take these devices onboard and he felt he had not been sufficiently warned. Whilst the frequent flyers amongst the general population sat up and read the news articles as it was aviation related, I get it that ignorant or non news reading folk would have no idea you could not take these things on a plane.

My wife asked me why.... She had not read the news articles about these devices.

My annoyance with Rusty is the tone of the Tweet.

"Offloaded"

"Never again"

"Goodbye Virgin"

It's childish and petulant.

I agree with that. He's been known to have a little bit of a temper.

ScottB

Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:07 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 34):
Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 7):

Martijn

Actually it's a Chinese product with no "A" brand backing it, and that's part of the problem. The idea was probably stolen from an American, though.

Even the producers of the more reputable models are no-name Chinese factories that could be manufacturing for Brand A on Monday morning and Brand Z that afternoon. And they might have been making rice cookers or nondescript Android tablets six months ago. This isn't like G.E. or Philips or Samsung where there's a large corporation nominally standing behind product quality and offering a warranty.

Quoting Revo1059 (Reply 32):

a) now popular

They're very new items and the restrictions on their transport are quite recent -- because the safety risks involved from the batteries catching fire have only been very recently identified. I could easily see how those restrictions wouldn't have been made known if someone had booked a ticket a month ago -- they didn't exist then on many airlines.

global1

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:19 am

He's just a hot tempered ego maniac with an inflated sense of entitlement and importance.

Dime a dozen.

[Edited 2015-12-31 19:23:53]

stratosphere

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:46 am

Quoting global1 (Reply 43):
He's just a hot tempered ego maniac with an inflated sense of entitlement and importance.

+1 yep never liked that clown. Guess he will have to fly in a private jet since most all airlines have banned the hoverboard. HIs temper cracks me up one day hes going to go bad ass on the wrong dude and get his ass handed to him like Ryan O'Neal did once. Another hollyweird has been with a temper.

[Edited 2016-01-01 00:05:58]

b747400erf

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 44):
Another hollyweird has been with a temper.

Riiiight. It's Hollywood. No one has a temper from that region of the world.

rugger

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:00 pm

In the beginning of the story he was calling it a Segway.. Was he trying to mislead the airline? How could you not know the difference between the two?

WearyDrover

Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:48 am

Even if an item was not on a restricted or prohibited items list at the time of booking, it is the passenger's responsibilty to check that they are in compliance when he travels.

When checking in for Virgin Australia flights (and Qantas) you are specifically asked whether you are travelling with dangerous goods or prohibited items. A list is presented (including pictures) and you can not proceed with check in until you answer the question.

It is not the airline's fault if a passenger just says no or tickd a box without actually reading. Time for Crowe to grow up and behave himself.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

liftsifter

Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:57 am

Keep fuming. There's a reason the agent will ask if you have any lithium batteries while checking you in. It's for your (and everyone else's) safety. This is on par with refusing to stop playing Words with Friends... come on people!
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

DDR

Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:07 pm

Goodbye Russel Crowe. You are now on my no watch list of spoiled, self absorbed people who think they are better than the rest of us. By all means you should be allowed to bring a potentionaly dangerous object on board. To hell with the rest of us.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos