KIRFlyer

RE: Irish 1/16: Ireland Aloft!

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:17 am

Happy New Year all. Looking forward to 2016, and plenty of flights into and out of Ireland.

I had the joy of flying FR the evening of Wednesday December 29th, when Storm Frank was passing through. I was flying KIR-LTN. The aircraft was delayed leaving LTN by approximately 1.5-2 hours. Once boarded in KIR, when it managed to get down, the pilot came across the intercom saying we couldn't take off because we were "out of limits". It was too windy. So we sat on the aircraft for another hour, until the winds ease within limits. METAR's at the time were reporting 25G40KT.

Thankfully we did get out, and arrived in LTN about 2.5 hours late. I understand the reasoning behind having the aircraft "boarded and ready to go". However, there's always the risk that the flight could have been cancelled. Is this classic FR? Or would have many airlines gone down this route?!?

I kept thinking of that horror story in STN last year, when a FR OPO(?) flight was boarded, stuck on the ground, and was eventually cancelled, with the passangers having to "break in" into the terminal.

Freshside3

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:32 am

Quoting A60Stock (Reply 47):
I've an idea, on the same basis as BDL is going to be served by EI (more for the local populous than the Irish), could CLE be a potential destination to be 757-served in 2017? Just as a bit of blue-sky thinking, it could be four-weekly with a seasonal twice-weekly service between SAV (although, for my money, I'd rather see EI make a go of YUL).

CLE, though, is in need of SOME kind of Europe flight. It was de-hubbed, but too big of a market to be ignored. I can see some kind of seasonal flight, much like how DL handled the PIT situation(having a 757 to CDG in the summer). Does not have to be a hub for the US carrier, and especially good, if the partner has a hub on the other end.

Quoting Cipango (Reply 46):
Though SAV is beautiful, I could guarantee at least half of the Irish population don't know anything about it (or have even heard about it) aside from Forrest Gump.

More of a case of Irish people in SAV wanting to visit the "old sod", than Irish nationals coming to SAV.

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 49):
Cork had a weekly HER link up until Thomas Cook exit from Ireland in 2014, it always did well but TCX exit from Ireland had a much bigger impact at Cork than anywhere else. A3 are not operating any BFS charters this summer so expect capacity with them is limited and a service from Cork would need the backing from Falcon.

Still, A3 has been putting some really odd stuff out there.....like that oddball HER-DOL flight, for example. HER-ORK would make sense, given that scenario. Or even see a low-cost carrier going ZTH-ORK.
And, who exactly is Falcon? Not familiar with them......Are they a tour operator?

dstc47

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:50 am

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 43):
Started back last summer.

Was this not first announced and then dropped last year?
Pity that SATA have exited the Irish market.

EIDL

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:16 am

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 51):
And, who exactly is Falcon? Not familiar with them......Are they a tour operator?

Tour operator/travel agent, one of the remaining bits of Tui that isn't called Tui.

shamrock321

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:40 am

KIRFlyer, most if not all airlines will board a flight in such a situation in case the weather had improved quicker than expected. It's the same with slot delays, they will board and be ready to go I case it comes forward.

I flew DUB-LCY yesterday morning, pleasant flight with about an 85% load.
I'm heading down to CPT this evening, it's one of the EI codeshares will be interesting to see if many connect to/from EI flights.

JAmie2k9

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:03 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 52):

It operated.

FR announce Belfast on Thursday,....

KIRFlyer

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 54):
KIRFlyer, most if not all airlines will board a flight in such a situation in case the weather had improved quicker than expected. It's the same with slot delays, they will board and be ready to go I case it comes forward.

Cheers for that. First time it's ever happened to me.

JAmie2k9

Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:00 pm

Quoting KIRFlyer (Reply 56):

The big difference between carriers is what they deem to be acceptable to hold passengers on board. Anything over 2 hours and you are beginning to push it.

FoxBravo

Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:20 pm

Quoting A60Stock (Reply 29):
I must say I was surprised to see the A333 on the JFK service, given DL's rather dubious record of releasing timetables on ex-DUB with A333 booked to operate, and for the faithful old B763 to appear instead. My hopes are not fantastically high, but I will be delighted to be proved wrong.

They've already been operating the A333 from JFK for at least a couple of weeks now, and it's scheduled to continue through the winter. I was somewhat surprised by this too, but last winter they operated the 764, so the A333 is actually a decrease in J seats, which probably makes sense. I know DL has a frequent habit of changing scheduled equipment types, but not usually within 90 days or so. After March, though, all bets are off.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

VFRonTop

Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Quoting KIRFlyer (Reply 50):
had the joy of flying FR the evening of Wednesday December 29th, when Storm Frank was passing through. I was flying KIR-LTN

This is a route I have the pleasure of flying 8/10 times a year, in fact I few out on the same flight a day before you.

Do you have any experience of using t EIR KIR-DUB flight to connect to Aer Lingus short haul? While it's never more than 45EUR one way when I try and construct a connection (to the likes of CPH or LHR) I get quotes something like 900/1k EUR

VFRonTop

Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:46 pm

Quoting A60Stock (Reply 47):
I've an idea, on the same basis as BDL is going to be served by EI (more for the local populous than the Irish), could CLE be a potential destination to be 757-served in 2017? Just as a bit of blue-sky thinking, it could be four-weekly with a seasonal twice-weekly service between SAV (although, for my money, I'd rather see EI make a go of YUL).

Just blue-sky thinking, mind, so don't take it too seriously

Surely it's only a matter of time that OneWorld/IAG start targeting more secondary US cities. With EI joining the transatlantic JV and with EI's lower cost base would it be inconceivable to see EI narrowbody metal flying to the likes of:
CLE, PIT, IND, CVG, CMH, CHS, OMA, BUF, PVD, MHT, ROC, ORF, RIC, DAY?

Total blue sky thinking I know. None of these destinations have sufficient O&D demand to any OW hub to survive so the route would rely heavily on connections on the EU side (as none of the above have any meaningful AA networks)

Eagleboy

Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:47 pm

Quoting KIRFlyer (Reply 50):
I understand the reasoning behind having the aircraft "boarded and ready to go". However, there's always the risk that the flight could have been cancelled. Is this classic FR? Or would have many airlines gone down this route?!?
Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 57):
The big difference between carriers is what they deem to be acceptable to hold passengers on board. Anything over 2 hours and you are beginning to push it.

The difference lies in what the forecast tells them. If they boarding hoping the weather would be better in 45-60 mins then that is OK, waiting till the weather is OK and then boarding will often mean they miss the opening.
The problem is when an airline decides to board and wait, with no clear indication that an improvement (weather or slot) is expected.

KIRFlyer

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:06 pm

Quoting VFRonTop (Reply 59):
Do you have any experience of using t EIR KIR-DUB flight to connect to Aer Lingus short haul? While it's never more than 45EUR one way when I try and construct a connection (to the likes of CPH or LHR) I get quotes something like 900/1k EUR

I use the LTN-KIR route often, as it is the most convenient when travelling home. However, if I'm going anywhere else in Ireland, I'll aim for LHR-SNN/ORK/DUB. Purely because of how much of a "experience" LTN provides, or lack of!!   They are doing works to the airport. Made arrivals bigger, and have moved security downstairs, but the airport is still lacking. And it's pales in comparison to T2 in LHR

As for doing KIR-DUB-XXX, I have done it a few times, but I've always had to split my tickets. I just checked on the EI website, and you can only book flights to the USA and Canada from KIR. I've flown EXT-DUB-KIR on separate bookings, and it was okay. I tried to use the transfer facility in T1 and it was closed at 5pm in the evening. So I'd to come landside and reclear. The EXT-DUB flight with BE even has the EI flight number on it. So it'd have been great to make a thru booking.

OA260

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:32 pm

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 51):

An Irish based tour operator owned by the much larger TUI group. They operate a charter/package holiday operation to your typical bucket and spade destinations.

Was this not first announced and then dropped last year?

It was actually the year before last that Windavia were due to operate but pulled out at the last minute. So everything was cancelled. Last year saw the return of a DUB-FNC with Sunway and Concorde Travel. So as I mentioned it is great to see it back for 2016 again.

Pity that SATA have exited the Irish market.

Indeed also the DUB-PDL route which I flew on but sadly demand was very limited even though it was heavily marketed.

321neo

Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Was searching SNN-BOS flights this coming summer and noticed something. The Omni 767 is back.  https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8880/18586363832_c7b8c57668_h.jpg

Aer Lingus(Omni Air International) Boeing 767-224(ER), N225AX. by Trevor Mulkerrins, on Flickr

[Edited 2016-01-05 11:31:04]

SURFER

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:16 pm

Quoting 321neo (Reply 64):

Will be better than last year Omni are currently fitting out their 767 fleet with PTVs. I had been informed IAG were sourcing or going to provide an aircraft prior to today.

EIDL

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:23 pm

Quoting SURFER (Reply 65):
Will be better than last year Omni are currently fitting out their 767 fleet with PTVs. I had been informed IAG were sourcing or going to provide an aircraft prior to today.

The Omni 767 used last year was the one that already had the PTVs from memory. The main complaints were about the service and the IFE content being lesser / not the same as EIs. And obviously spotter complaints about the "livery"!

ClassicLover

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:19 am

Question for someone who might know the answer...

I have the option of flying ATH-DUB direct with EI, or to fly ATH-LHR-DUB with BA after a cruise I am doing which arrives on 25 August. The Flex fare with EI is still less than the BA one way fare, so if I bought that I'd have EI lounge access.

The issue is, as usual, that the EI web page is not up to date so I have no idea which lounge they use in Athens.

Does anyone know?
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

aerdingus

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:22 am

Quoting rufusisgod (Reply 34):
Don't forget to use the fast track security. Domestic passengers are entitled to use it.

Aw damn I didn't know that! Security wasn't too bad though. What annoys me is that they sent me back through to T1 even though it says TML 2 on the boarding pass! Only to gate 333 so wasn't too bad but I walked past it thinking I had to go all the way to the 200 gates, d'oh! Nice little boarding bus gates, very quiet. Last time I was there was 2005!
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

OA260

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:30 am

Quoting classiclover (Reply 67):
Does anyone know?

No lounge access in ATH unless by then some Aer Club benefits come in for IAG members to allow use of the BA lounge and you have the required tier. Aer Lingus at one point had a ''loose'' agreement with the Swissport lounge but that has long gone. Your other option is entry via Priority Pass into the Swissport lounge which is actually not a bad one. I was in it a few weeks back.

ClassicLover

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:51 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 69):
No lounge access in ATH unless by then some Aer Club benefits come in for IAG members to allow use of the BA lounge and you have the required tier. Aer Lingus at one point had a ''loose'' agreement with the Swissport lounge but that has long gone. Your other option is entry via Priority Pass into the Swissport lounge which is actually not a bad one. I was in it a few weeks back.

With no lounge access, forget it - I'll pay the extra money and fly via LHR on BA. It works out virtually the same (to LHR) when I include paying for a lounge and the fact I'd be buying food on board. I'll use my Avios for LHR-DUB.

I'll have my 6 month old BA Gold card by August, so I may as well take advantage of Galleries First at T5 while connecting.

OA260

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:01 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 70):
Galleries First at T5 while connecting.

Yes it is a nice lounge although sometimes for me Id rather take a direct just depends on the individual situation. Over and back to LHR with BA more times than I care to remember over the last year I have been in GF quite a bit so I guess I am not as worried as I used to be about missing it. I guess its true what they say you can have too much of a good thing  
The EI ATH-DUB timings are great though I must say.

-----

Budapest-bound Aer Lingus flight returns to Dublin

AirLive, which provides news and updates for air services, tweeted that the plane was en route back at 8.20am this morning and requested an update from Aer Lingus.
The Irish airline promptly responded, citing a techinical issue as the reason behind the turnaround, and added that a new aircraft would be ready at 09:15am.

http://utv.ie/News/2016/01/06/Budape...gus-flight-returns-to-Dublin-51634

ClassicLover

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:04 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 71):
Yes it is a nice lounge although sometimes for me Id rather take a direct just depends on the individual situation.

I would like to as I'll be fairly tired after my cruise, I should think   My first Atlantis cruise...

Over and back to LHR with BA more times than I care to remember over the last year I have been in GF quite a bit so I guess I am not as worried as I used to be about missing it. I guess its true what they say you can have too much of a good thing

I feel the same way about the Galleries Club lounge - I go back and forth to London or via London for every trip I do, so yes, you can have too much of a good thing  
The EI ATH-DUB timings are great though I must say.

They are brilliant really! Luckily BA also have two flights ATH-LHR around the same time, so it is not much of a delay getting back to Dublin making the stop at Heathrow.

JAmie2k9

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Finnair announce a second round of freq increase on HEL-DUB next summer, will now operate 9 weekly so +3 weekly over summer 2015.

Eagleboy

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:08 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 66):
The Omni 767 used last year was the one that already had the PTVs from memory. The main complaints were about the service and the IFE content being lesser / not the same as EIs.
Quoting SURFER (Reply 65):

Last year the Omni B767 had drop down screens. No PTV. Also the cabin was pretty rough looking (saw a video taken by Irish pax last year)
Hopefully EI have stipulated a better hard product this year.....but I wont hold my breath. Mr Kavanage is only looking at the increased pax numbers SNN-BOS and the revenue from the early DUB-JFK-DUB and calling it "a commercial success"

VFRonTop

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:13 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 73):
Finnair announce a second round of freq increase on HEL-DUB next summer, will now operate 9 weekly so +3 weekly over summer 2015.

Love this route and the E190. Their busines product is very good too. Flew it last year on my (very circuitous) way to Hawaii. I also really like AY as a carrier and will definitely consider them next time I'm heading east bound. (need to tick the A350 off my list)

ClassicLover

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:30 pm

Quoting VFRonTop (Reply 75):
Love this route and the E190. Their busines product is very good too. Flew it last year on my (very circuitous) way to Hawaii. I also really like AY as a carrier and will definitely consider them next time I'm heading east bound. (need to tick the A350 off my list)

Finnair are a pretty solid airline really - though a friend of mine loathes them and will never fly them again for losing his bag for 5 days.

I flew them specifically to get on an MD11 back in 2007 when I flew BKK-SIN-HEL in Business Class. I'd definitely like to try the A350 on my way to Asia next time, plus to see how they are nowadays compared to then.

OA260

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:36 pm

Quoting VFRonTop (Reply 75):
(need to tick the A350 off my list)
Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 76):
I'd definitely like to try the A350 on my way to Asia next time

Easier than that fly them on the Euro routes  

321neo

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:54 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 74):
Mr Kavanagh is only looking at the increased pax numbers SNN-BOS and the revenue from the early DUB-JFK-DUB and calling it "a commercial success"

Stevie K is still CEO? He must be the kinda guy IAG likes.

VFRonTop

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:59 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 77):
Easier than that fly them on the Euro routes  

Yes quite right!
Do you know where can I find info on dates/routes they are doing their "shakedown/training" flights?

VFRonTop

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:19 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 55):
FR announce Belfast on Thursday,....

Just read this on Business Traveller, surprised they opted for BFS not BHD. At BFS they'll be up against U2 on LGW where as once EI ends on 27 March 2016 there will be no LGW service from BHD.

In fact looking at numbers EI carried almost 300k passengers (down from 406k in '13) from BHD to LGW in 2014
U2 carried 435k (up from 385k) from BFS in 2014

Is it the margin that is attracting FR to compete at BFS while leaving a proven market empty in BHD?

OA260

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Quoting VFRonTop (Reply 79):
Do you know where can I find info on dates/routes they are doing their "shakedown/training" flights?

They did have them on BRU LHR BCN there was a list on airline route but I have not been following it recently so maybe that could have changed.

Quoting VFRonTop (Reply 80):
surprised they opted for BFS

No restrictions at BFS so for their type of operation/routes it makes sense for FR to go there rather than BHD.

VFRonTop

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:47 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 81):
They did have them on BRU LHR BCN there was a list on airline route but I have not been following it recently so maybe that could have changed.

Thanks for the info - ill have a google and see what I find

Quoting OA260 (Reply 81):
No restrictions at BFS so for their type of operation/routes it makes sense for FR

Ah, a very good reason indeed

OA260

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Second Aer Lingus flight diverts to Dublin with 'technical problem'

By Patrick Flynn

An Aer Lingus flight from Donegal to Glasgow has diverted to Dublin Airport with a technical issue.

It is the second time today that an Aer Lingus service has diverted to the country’s biggest airport with a problem.

Aer Lingus Regional flight EI-3443, operated by Stobart Air, departed Donegal at around 2.45pm.

Soon afterwards, the crew informed air traffic controllers that they wished to divert to Dublin with a "technical problem"

The ATR 42-300 turboprop plane was rerouted to Dublin where it landed safely at 3.35pm.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/s...with-technical-problem-714389.html

PenPusher

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:49 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 66):

Yes the Omni 767-200 hired in last year had PTV's. Small sized screens and crappy headphones !

AmricanShamrok

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:26 pm

Quoting 321neo (Reply 64):
The Omni 767 is back.

Where's Jamie2k9 who said it would never return as SNN doesn't need the extra capacity provided by the 767?  

Will be nice to see two 767s on the SNN ramp this summer, which up to now had been 757 country in the mornings.

Eagleboy

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:31 pm

Follow their twitter/facebook. I remember when AY had their Retro livery A319 doing special flights, they were scheduled and posted on thise website. I would expect them yo be similarly open about their A350.

EIDL

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:39 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 74):
Last year the Omni B767 had drop down screens. No PTV. Also the cabin was pretty rough looking (saw a video taken by Irish pax last year)

The 763s are/were dropdown but the 762s (as used) have had PTVs for some time, looking at their website.

JAmie2k9

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:08 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 85):

Well it only acheived 75-80% loads, question is, is DUB-JFK additional capacity to important to drop.....you know two reasons its operating.

321neo

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:36 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 85):
Where's Jamie2k9 who said it would never return as SNN doesn't need the extra capacity provided by the 767?

The Omni aircraft returning doesn't necessarily mean that the extra capacity is needed. The B762 returning may be more a consequence of the difficulty of sourcing any other more suitable aircraft which will be available during the peak summer season.

It's important to note that the Omni aircraft is being leased-in in order to allow one of the SNN B757s to operate on DUB-JFK - it's not because SNN-BOS needs additional capacity. If anything, with SNN-BOS having again been chosen as the route for the clapped-out B762 replacement, this is a clear indication that product quality and consistency is not a priority for the route.

HELyes

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:35 am

AY takes widebodies to LHR and BRU a couple of times a week, their booking site shows A350 will be a common sight there from February. The LHR route gets a widebody flight on Fri Sun Mon, flight AY831/832 and BRU on Wed Thu, flight AY811/812, naturally changes possible.

JAmie2k9

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:50 pm

3 BASED AIRCRAFT, $300M INVESTMENT

4 X DAILY LONDON GATWICK SERVICE & 5 MORE NEW ROUTES

Ryanair, Europe’s favourite airline, today (7 Jan) announced it will open a new base at Belfast International Airport, starting in March, with 1 based aircraft (an investment of $100m), and a 4 times daily service to London Gatwick. The base will grow to 3 aircraft and 5 more new routes from October 2016, which will deliver over 1m new customers p.a. and support 750* “on-site” jobs at Belfast International Airport.

From March 2016, Ryanair will open a base in Belfast Intl. and deliver:

3 based aircraft ($300m)
1 new route: London Gatwick (4 x daily)
5 more new routes to follow in Oct. 2016
28 weekly flights
Over 1m customers p.a.
750* “on site” jobs p.a.

www.corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/...77/?market=en#sthash.t3e99DDx.dpuf

DUB also appears to get a 6th and 7th daily service (including an 06.30 departure). The EI schedule is down from 6 to 5.

[Edited 2016-01-07 05:03:09]

OA260

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Aer Lingus has again been rated one of the world's 10 safest low-cost carriers by aviation website, AirlineRatings.com.

The website, which monitors 407 global airlines, compiles its annual safety lists based on factors ranging from airline incident records to government reports.

"AirlineRatings.com’s editorial team also examined each airline’s operational history, incident records and operational excellence," it says.

Its 10 safest low-cost carriers (in alphabetical order) are:

Aer Lingus
Flybe
HK Express
Jetblue
Jetstar Australia
Thomas Cook
TUI Fly
Virgin America
Volaris
Westjet

"We are pleased that Aer Lingus has been recognised for being at the forefront of safety innovation and operation excellence for eight decades," a spokesperson said.

http://www.independent.ie/life/trave...est-lowcost-airlines-34340282.html

Cipango

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:44 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 92):
Aer Lingus has again been rated one of the world's 10 safest low-cost carriers by aviation website, AirlineRatings.com.

The website, which monitors 407 global airlines, compiles its annual safety lists based on factors ranging from airline incident records to government reports.

"AirlineRatings.com’s editorial team also examined each airline’s operational history, incident records and operational excellence," it says.

Its 10 safest low-cost carriers (in alphabetical order) are:

Aer Lingus
Flybe
HK Express
Jetblue
Jetstar Australia
Thomas Cook
TUI Fly
Virgin America
Volaris
Westjet

"We are pleased that Aer Lingus has been recognised for being at the forefront of safety innovation and operation excellence for eight decades," a spokesperson said.

http://www.independent.ie/life/trave...est-lowcost-airlines-34340282.html

I've seen this doing the rounds on social media and various new sites are publishing articles with a heading "Before you book your summer holiday, check to see if your airline made the safe list"...

How necessary is this ranking? In most cases passengers aren't necessarily in any more danger flying an airline off the list. The sensationalised portrayal by the media seems to be poor for business and strikes unnecessary fear and concern for the "ignorant" travelling public.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:44 pm

Good to see EI's commitment to safety recognised; not many airlines have as good a safety record as it does.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...to-fly-undocumented-cash-1.2487312

FR in the news twice today, one not so good:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...to-fly-undocumented-cash-1.2487312

An ex-FR pilot, demoted for refusing to carry company cash bags, is taking an action for unfair dismissal, though it appears that he left of his own accord, and is now working for an airline in China.

A better FR story, apart from the new Belfast base:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/t...ngers-opens-belfast-base-1.2488004

It claims 101m international pax - the first airline ever to do so. It's a terrific achievement, whatever way you look at it. Who would have thought it! An Irish airline carrying 100m pax, and growing to that level in just over 30 years (while the likes of DL, AA, UA etc, took 70+ years and mergers to do it!).
That said, doesn't this figure include domestic flights in many European countries. What does it term "international"? That's being pedantic, I know; it's still a great achievement, whatever way you look at it.

JAmie2k9

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:56 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 94):

It claims 101m international pax - the first airline ever to do so. It's a terrific achievement, whatever way you look at it. Who would have thought it! An Irish airline carrying 100m pax, and growing to that level in just over 30 years (while the likes of DL, AA, UA etc, took 70+ years and mergers to do it!).
That said, doesn't this figure include domestic flights in many European countries. What does it term "international"? That's being pedantic, I know; it's still a great achievement, whatever way you look at it.

As it's an Irish company suspect the stats include zero domestic passengers as there is no longer internal Irish flights.

321neo

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:11 am

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 95):

Quoting kaitak (Reply 94):

As it's an Irish company suspect the stats include zero domestic passengers as there is no longer internal Irish flights.

So they count intra-German/Italian passengers as 'international' since they're not Irish? Love it! 

stratocruiser

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Quoting VFRonTop (Reply 60):

A couple of these destinations (OMA and CHS) are non-runners from the start simply because they are beyond the viable westbound range of a 757 and most likely would not generate the passenger numbers to support an A330, as both have metropolitan area populations of less than a million. CVG, CLE and PIT however all serve populations of greater than 2 million people and that served by IND approaches 2 million. All four of these metropolitan areas also have significant populations of Irish ancestry which should generate O&D traffic to Ireland. In addition to those of Irish ethnicity, there are also significant populations of European ancestry in the states of Ohio, Pensylvannia and Indiana, with Germany, Italy and the U.K. being particularly strongly represented.

CLE and IND have no transatlantic flights at all and CVG and PIT only have TATL services to CDG. As far as I am aware, CLE, CVG and PIT have all supported wide-bodied TATL flights to LON in the past, so there clearly is an untapped market there. The potential for significant transit passengers to the UK and Europe in addition to limited O&D traffic to Ireland should generate enough passengers to make at least a few flights a week to a DUB hub viable using a narrow body, so your thinking may not be as blue sky as you imagine!

As for the other potential destinations which you mention, most have populations of around a million or less and might therefore be regarded as more of a risk, unless tempted by a subsidy! I guess if BDL performs well then, you never know, EI might at some stage take a look at some of these smaller secondary destinations.

EIDL

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:12 pm

Quoting stratocruiser (Reply 97):
As far as I am aware, CLE, CVG and PIT have all supported wide-bodied TATL flights to LON in the past,

All three while hubs for a no-longer based carrier though, as far as I remember - UA, DL, US respectively. Won't be as much feed on that side anymore, no matter what codeshares are available.

321neo

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Quoting stratocruiser (Reply 97):
I guess if BDL performs well then, you never know,

BDL would seem to be the guinea pig for testing such routes. There is no doubt that the EI flight offers more convenient access to many destinations in the UK and Europe when compared to the other options passengers have from BDL. Here's hoping it's a success  

Has there been any update on whether the 4 757s will be receiving new business class seating?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos