AWACSooner

RE: "Welcome To JFK. Our Gateway To The World" -DL

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Because nothing says "Welcome to the USA...here's the best we have to offer" like arriving into JFK  

jetblue1965

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:35 pm

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 49):

Because Delta gets to decide all of this. You don't.

I love how everyone only talks about how JFK is larger to Europe than ATL and ignores the rest of the world. When factoring things like LatAm and Caribbean, JFK simply does not hold a candle against ATL not matter how much koolaid is drunk.

Yea, DL also tried to trademark "world's most trusted airline" in 2014 as part of an ad campaign .... i guess according to your logic, DL is the one deciding it too ? except that one was THROWN OUT by the trademark office for the level of stupidity. In LGA DL also has a banner of "New York #1's airline", which *conveniently* ignores the third airport across the river, while stats from PANYNJ prove that DL is NOT #1 in the entirety of NYC.

Trailing 12 mos ending in Oct 2015, JFK+LGA+EWR+SWF, source PANYNJ
UA 23.6%
DL 22.1%
AA 14.7%
B6 13.2%

This alone already proves that the ad campaign uses a technicality to brainwash low information travelers.

Maybe if their ads don't sound so much like used car salesmen ads they'll receive less ridicule.

jetlanta

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:27 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 51):
I love how everyone only talks about how JFK is larger to Europe than ATL and ignores the rest of the world. When factoring things like LatAm and Caribbean, JFK simply does not hold a candle against ATL not matter how much koolaid is drunk.

Yea, DL also tried to trademark "world's most trusted airline" in 2014 as part of an ad campaign .... i guess according to your logic, DL is the one deciding it too ? except that one was THROWN OUT by the trademark office for the level of stupidity. In LGA DL also has a banner of "New York #1's airline", which *conveniently* ignores the third airport across the river, while stats from PANYNJ prove that DL is NOT #1 in the entirety of NYC.

Trailing 12 mos ending in Oct 2015, JFK+LGA+EWR+SWF, source PANYNJ
UA 23.6%
DL 22.1%
AA 14.7%
B6 13.2%

This alone already proves that the ad campaign uses a technicality to brainwash low information travelers.

Maybe if their ads don't sound so much like used car salesmen ads they'll receive less ridicule.

This really gets you worked up, doesn't it?

Hate to break it to you, but U.S. DOT DB1B O&D data shows the following for the YE 2Q15:

Delta: 25, 628.4 PDEW from EWR/JFK/LGA
United: 25,566.6 PDEW

PANYNJ boarding data is not the authoritative source here, I promise.

But who the hell cares anyway? Delta has a billboard at the entrance at JFK that literally says "Welcome To JFK. OUR Gateway To The World". You are really going to dispute that? They fly to FIVE continents from JFK. Is that not enough for you? LH only flies to five continents from FRA. AF only flies to five from CDG. Are they not world gateways for those carriers?

Here is the issue, you complain about Delta 'fanboys" and "kool-aid" drinkers as if their enthusiasm is so pathetic. But what is really pathetic is the need to constantly bitch and complain about every little thing, even stuff that is utterly inane. This thread is a perfect example.

Who cares HOW Delta WELCOMES vistiors to JFK? At least they do!

jetblue1965

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 52):

Yours is O&D data. Mine is total pax. Is it too complicated to realize those aren't the same ??

But what is really pathetic is the need to constantly bitch and complain about every little thing, even stuff that is utterly inane.

Thanks for using the B word and proving that you are a pathetic troll.

mayor

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:35 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 53):

Yours is O&D data. Mine is total pax. Is it too complicated to realize those aren't the same ??

For what we're talking about, I would think that O&D makes more sense than total pax......after all, the billboard is directed at NYC pax, is it not?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

B737900ER

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 51):

Isn't that the point of nearly every ad campaign? After all Bud light claims in its commercials to have great taste. Delta can claim anything they want. It doesn't have to be true, they just have to make you think it's true. And if you're not fooled, congratulations. Let's move on.

FSDan

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Then it looks like more New Yorkers choose DL than choose UA. That would give DL a reasonable basis to make the claim that they are NYC's #1 airline.

Quoting mayor (Reply 54):
For what we're talking about, I would think that O&D makes more sense than total pax......after all, the billboard is directed at NYC pax, is it not?

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 52):But what is really pathetic is the need to constantly bitch and complain about every little thing, even stuff that is utterly inane.

I'm not a huge fan of the choice of language either, but note that jetlanta is a well-respected member of this forum who joined more than 10 years before you did. Just sayin'...
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

jetblue1965

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:41 pm

Quoting FSDan (Reply 56):

Then it looks like more New Yorkers choose DL than choose UA. That would give DL a reasonable basis to make the claim that they are NYC's #1 airline.

Actually 1 still doesn't lead to another. #1 O&D and #1 choice of New Yorkers are 2 things. It could easily be the case where the O&D posted by DL are skewed inbound instead of outbound.

cokepopper

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:46 pm

Glad to see Delta Advertising in NYC.
The next step is brining back the name "World Port" to JFK where it belongs.

Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 48):
A lot of ATL-Europe has been moved to JFK at least in winter capacity if not completely. (ARN/CPH/ATH etc)

FIFY
A lot of ATL-Europe has been moved BACK to JFK at least in winter capacity if not completely. (ARN/CPH/ATH etc

Thanks for using the B word and proving that you are a pathetic troll

Rich, coming from someone that who trolls every single Delta thread and spews emotion and rarely fact.

I'm sorry you didn't get hired by Delta, but get over it already. Life it too short

[Edited 2016-01-07 14:00:49]

jetblue1965

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:47 pm

Quoting cokepopper (Reply 58):

I'm sorry you didn't he hired by Delta, but get over it already.

FYI I never applied for those $10.5/hr or $25K/yr jobs that your lovely employer is handing out. But thanks for trying.

LAX772LR

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:02 pm

but note that jetlanta is a well-respected member of this forum

Someone's definitely doing a lot of (obviously pointless) trolling on this thread, and it isn't Jetlanta....

Rich, coming from someone that who trolls every single Delta thread

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 57):
#1 O&D and #1 choice of New Yorkers are 2 things.

In what way(s)?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

jetblue1965

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:07 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 60):

#1 O&D and #1 choice of New Yorkers are 2 things.

In what way(s)?

Do I really have to spell it out, or you're just wasting my time for the fun of it ? For someone who pretends to analyze aviation everyday, I'd expect you to know the difference.

mayor

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 59):

I'm sorry you didn't he hired by Delta, but get over it already.

FYI I never applied for those $10.5/hr or $25K/yr jobs that your lovely employer is handing out. But thanks for trying.

Couldn't qualify, huh?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

par13del

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:34 pm

Since New Yorkers are incapable of producing a picture from their state with the billboard for the rest of the A.Net to review and chime in, can I suggest that this thread be closed due to lack of conformity?  

PS: Maybe they fear what the ATL folks will think if they actually see the picture being discussed?
Just a thought

jetblue1965

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:35 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 62):

Definitely can't qualify. I didn't major in English or communications.

FSDan

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:52 pm

#1 O&D and #1 choice of New Yorkers are 2 things. It could easily be the case where the O&D posted by DL are skewed inbound instead of outbound.

That's a fair point based on the way I worded it. Maybe more New Yorkers aren't choosing DL. I don't suppose we have the data to say one way or the other, and the opposite could also be true.

Either way, I would say that carrying the most O&D passengers to/from New York gives DL a fair basis to claim that they are NYC's #1 airline, which is what is being debated here.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

airDFW

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:30 pm

I am impressed with DL offering from JFK. Definitely much better than AA, so I think for one of the US3, it is kind of bragging right.

delimit

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:19 am

You know when someone starts complaining about word choice and slinging insults instead of discussing the content of what was said that they're so emotionally invested in their argument that there's no further point engaging.

jetlanta is a well-respected member of this forum who joined more than 10 years before you did. Just sayin'...

++

LAX772LR

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:34 am

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 61):
Do I really have to spell it out

Well, it was a rather inane claim... so yes, you do.

Let's hear it.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

jsnww81

Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:28 am

Quoting par13del (Reply 63):
Since New Yorkers are incapable of producing a picture from their state with the billboard for the rest of the A.Net to review and chime in, can I suggest that this thread be closed due to lack of conformity?

Amen. This is officially the most boring thread ever. It combines every boring aspect of a.net:

- pointless stats
- airline fanboyism
- airline anti-fanboyism
- airport fanboyism
- airport anti-fanboyism
- blatant trolling

All that's missing is for one of the Miami brigade to come in and argue that actually, Miami is really everyone's gateway to the world (because, after all, MIAMI!), and then every single box will be checked.

Here's a picture of a Delta billboard in New York that's far more interesting:
http://www.subwaynut.com/bmt/astorian/astorian11.jpg

NYCAdvantage

Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:37 pm

I saw the sign this morning, it does not say "Welcome to Deltas gateway to the world at New York JFK"
What I understand for what it's said there is, welcome to our gateway, as a NewYorker JFK our gateway to the world, no mater which airline you are using, sponsor by Delta. I see it that way because as you leave JFK there is another sign saying, "when ever we leave, we always come back home" JetBlue. And again I'd doesn't say "we always come back home with JetBlue",So what's the big deal, Delta is welcoming you as you enter JFK our Gateway to the world & JetBlue is welcoming you back home, But no matter what both sign are intended for Newyorkers, And Delta & JetBlue took advantage of the opportunity.

DiscoverCSG

Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:10 pm

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 69):
All that's missing is for one of the Miami brigade to come in and argue that actually, Miami is really everyone's gateway to the world (because, after all, MIAMI!), and then every single box will be checked.

Well, then somebody needs to start arguing about the use of 757's TATL and how that practice skews the figures.

And there should probably be some discussion about the retirement eligibility of one or another variety of T-tailed aircraft.

deltal1011man

Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:38 am

A lot of ATL-Europe has been moved BACK to JFK at least in winter capacity if not completely. (ARN/CPH/ATH etc

Maybe in the 1990s but in the BK growth mode it was all at ATL.

I'm sorry you didn't get hired by Delta, but get over it already. Life it too short

*drops mic*

Quoting par13del (Reply 63):
PS: Maybe they fear what the ATL folks will think if they actually see the picture being discussed?
Just a thought

I don't think so. ATL based anet people.

Other than that, ATL people know who butters their bread......

Quoting DiscoverCSG (Reply 71):

Don't forget,
Boeing is better than Airbus.

b727fa

Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:03 pm

Here is the issue, you complain about Delta 'fanboys" and "kool-aid" drinkers as if their enthusiasm is so pathetic. But what is really pathetic is the need to constantly bitch and complain about every little thing, even stuff that is utterly inane. This thread is a perfect example.
Rich, coming from someone that who trolls every single Delta thread and spews emotion and rarely fact.

Sunday prayers answered.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos