777way
Topic Author

BA World Tails

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:04 am

When was the last one removed what was it and on which aircraft? also how many countries were represented, did any do double and triple designs? what was the selection process, why such a few countries represented from Asia it was just Japan, Hong Kong, India and Saudi Arabia, nothing from Southeast?

Viscount724

RE: BA World Tails

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:18 am

Quoting 777way (Thread starter):
When was the last one removed what was it and on which aircraft?

Answers here. Article dated April 26, 2006 says BA franchise partner BMed A320 G-MEDA left the fleet the previous Monday which would be April 24, 2006. It was in the "Whale Rider" design. However I see near the bottom that it says there were still 2 BA Connect Dash 8-300s operating regional routes that still had the World Tails so one of those must have been the last.
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...ed-airbus-a320-returned-to-206207/

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Townsend - DavidTownsendImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Glenn Eldridge

[Edited 2016-01-04 20:31:18]

[Edited 2016-01-04 20:35:34]

[Edited 2016-01-04 20:39:28]

sq_ek_freak

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:23 am

nothing from Southeast?

I'm pretty sure Thailand was represented? It was some time ago but I'm pretty sure I flew a BA 757 from Rome to London with a Thai tail (if I remember the placard onboard it was called 'Pattani' or something of the like.)

Personally Chelsea Rose was my favourite.
Keep Discovering

777way
Topic Author

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:44 am

Paithani was Indian, 757 and 742 both had a different version of it.

[Edited 2016-01-04 20:47:50]

liftsifter

Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:19 am

I'm going to be the one: I really liked the World Tails. I thought it was a really unique idea and it's certainly more interesting to see than the "union jack," which really isn't a union jack.
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

USAirALB

Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:30 am

Ahh...the BA World Tails.

It was such a neat idea and featured beautiful designs. BA integrated the World Tails into their entire branding-everything that had the British Airways name on it also had a World Tail design, from the menus handed out to their employee's business cards.

BA re-launched World Traveller during this time, and introduced colorful crockery, pink/blue/green headrest covers, and seat fabric that matched the World Tails (there was a Kalahari seat design (Animals and Trees tail), Waves seat design (Waves of the City tail), and Cranes (Cranes tail). There were blue and pink pillows and blankets that matched the cabin. All of these things could be seen until 2010 or so when the cabin was redesigned and received a more plain look.

The World Tails scheme was a great idea and could have been successful-if it had been implemented on a different airline, say UA or CO. Before the World Tails, BA's old livery was seen as arrogant and stale, and the World Tails were designed to give BA a more international, friendlier look.

BA wanted to be seen as an "airline of the world that was born and based in Britain". They promoted their focus on caring about people "Every year the hopes, dreams, and ambitions of 30 million people fly with us..."..."We are a community of people dedicated to serving the communities of the world".

IIRC, there were designs from England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Sweden, Poland, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Pakistan, Egypt, South Africa, Canada, Botswana, Saudi Arabia, Russia, along with a couple more I can't recall. There were plans to have 50 or so designs by 2000.

This whole branding came along new, more heavily spiced cuisine in all cabins and the Flower Duet was recorded with international instruments.

Here are some videos/sites about the project:
-Video to announce the new brand: https://vimeo.com/52326977
-Video announcing new World Tail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qW-p6_TTrU
-Videos about new World Traveller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJmZBvWdp8A, Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvw1OLNzNr8 Check out the wacky trays in Part 2!
-Building a New BA: http://web.archive.org/web/199901280...-airways.com/lsp/newba/newba.shtml

I seem to recall that in the late 1990s, society and mass culture took on a more "utopian, international feel" that look forward to the future ahead. I recall popular music in the time had a certain African rhythm to it and the new millennium was seen as a world where there were no borders and everything worked in sync. I think BA tied their livery to that mindset.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

factsonly

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:49 am

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 5):
It was such a neat idea and featured beautiful designs. BA integrated the World Tails into their entire branding-everything that had the British Airways name on it also had a World Tail design, from the menus handed out to their employee's business cards.

And..........Margaret Thatcher's handkerchief put an end to it all.

scroll down this page:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...arriers-past-imperial-airline.html

PM

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:56 am

Quoting liftsifter (Reply 4):
I'm going to be the one: I really liked the World Tails.
It was such a neat idea and featured beautiful designs.

Could not agree more. It was a tragedy that the forces of darkness conspired to shoot it down. Oh well. Those of us there at the time enjoyed it while we could.

Oh, and I well remember the brief period prior to their introduction when a number of BA planes were carrying the basic colours but without the tails. Whatver could they be planning, we wondered?

scbriml

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:16 am

I'm going to be the one: I really liked the World Tails.

You're certainly not alone. I was a huge fan of them. Sadly, one person's jingoistic xenophobia put paid to them.  
Quoting PM (Reply 7):
Could not agree more. It was a tragedy that the forces of darkness conspired to shoot it down.

Ha ha, definitely the dark side!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

slinky09

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:13 am

I'm going to be the one: I really liked the World Tails. I thought it was a really unique idea and it's certainly more interesting to see than the "union jack," which really isn't a union jack.

I am with you, it was a great idea, brought some beautiful designs with it and demonstrated an outward, and open set of thinking to BA's global customers. Shame that crass woman helped to kill this off!

Bongodog1964

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:37 am

It was an interesting idea. of great appeal to aviation enthusiasts, but it went against everything major airlines have ever tried to portray which is a consistent brand.
How many times do we see airlines criticised for taking too long to repaint aircraft into new liveries as the brand is inconsistent ? Quite often !!

Taxi past LHR T5 and all you see is rows of Chatham Dockyard tails, it just screams "major airline hub" with World tails it would have looked like the terminal at any major International airport where they place the foreign airlines.

The other factor is cost, branding is expensive for any new design, plus the ongoing costs of adapting it for new products, this was in effect 20 or more designs each with its own costs. As an example, with the recent introduction of the 787 into the BA fleet there was one cost to redraw the artwork for the tail fin, with world tails it would have been that cost for every design used. Then there is economy of scale, seat furnishings etc being ordered in far smaller quantities, with a huge rise in inventory costs due to keeping one item in many colours

winterlight

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:56 am

IIRC, there were designs from England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Sweden, Poland, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Pakistan, Egypt, South Africa, Canada, Botswana, Saudi Arabia, Russia, along with a couple more I can't recall. There were plans to have 50 or so designs by 2000.

None from Spain or Pakistan but there were Denmark, The Netherlands & Romania.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

MrHMSH

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:12 am

I'm going to be the one: I really liked the World Tails. I thought it was a really unique idea
It was such a neat idea and featured beautiful designs.
Quoting factsonly (Reply 6):
And..........Margaret Thatcher's handkerchief put an end to it all.
Quoting scbriml (Reply 8):
You're certainly not alone. I was a huge fan of them
Quoting slinky09 (Reply 9):
I am with you, it was a great idea, brought some beautiful designs with it and demonstrated an outward, and open set of thinking to BA's global customers.

I can see why people didn't like it (and given Maggie's views I can see why she in particular hated it!), but I have to agree, it would have given BA a very unique branding, and I love the variety and originality in the design. From a spotter's point of view, the ethnic liveries must have been wonderful, every BA aircraft could have a different design, a departure from the monotomy of BA's livery now, even if I do think 'Chatham Dockyard' is a good design in itself. I only have vague memories of it myself, but I remember the tartan 747 carried me from SIN to LHR, and I got a lovely model of the 'waves and cranes' 747 to boot. Wish I still had it!

MEA-707

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:33 am

I liked it, but I remember many others, passengers who complained that they didn't recognize the airplane and even spotters and magazines like World Airline Fleets News at the time were much against it, fuming about cheap wallpaper tails instead of proper liveries etc. So we can't (only) blame Thatcher.

[Edited 2016-01-05 03:40:55]
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Bongodog1964

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 13):
So we can't (only) blame Thatcher.

There are a lot of people who have made an entire life out of blaming Margaret Thatcher, you are just spoiling their day

skipness1E

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:15 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 8):
You're certainly not alone. I was a huge fan of them.

It was too much.

Some were really good, in line with the brand. Think Benyhone / Mountain of the Birds (the tartan one). Chelsea Rose, Colum / Dove. There wasn't a Welsh one however. If they'd been special liveries with the majority in Chatham (Union Flag) the fuss would have been managable, but some of them were dire.

Personally I liked Delftblue Daybreak, hated Blue Poole, Whale Rider was meh. Essentially people looked at the brand and for every "Wow" there was a bigger number of "WTFs?" It was marketing disruption for the sheer sake of it, believe me I work with these guys daily. Think The Royal Mail rebranding as Consignia.....

The images connected emotionally with such a small minority of people they were diluting the brand message of red, white, blue, British, safe, reliable, traces of BOAC. They threw the baby out with the bathwater. To much, too wide, too soon, many of which looked bad! Never has the line up of Union Flags looked so good ever since.

Flyingsottsman

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:40 pm

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 2):
Personally Chelsea Rose was my favourite.

The Chelsea Rose was by far the best one, by a mile would not have minded at all if that was on every BA Tail.

skipness1E

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:49 pm

Quoting Flyingsottsman (Reply 16):
The Chelsea Rose was by far the best one, by a mile would not have minded at all if that was on every BA Tail.

The English Rose as the British Airways corporate logo, I wonder if there's a small pitfal in terms of customer feedback from a large minority of UK based customers in that plan?

MrHMSH

Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:01 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 17):

The English Rose as the British Airways corporate logo, I wonder if there's a small pitfal in terms of customer feedback from a large minority of UK based customers in that plan?

Rebrand to London Airways and this ceases to be a problem!  
It's more accurate anyway.

How about the Chelsea Rose, the 'Benyhone' Tartan design and then designs from Wales and Northern Ireland, with the fleet roughly painted in proportion to the populations of the nations? OK it would still annoy people, but it would have been a cool connection.

Bongodog1964

Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:29 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 15):
Think The Royal Mail rebranding as Consignia.....

Not sure which disaster lasted longer BA World tails or Consignia, must have been a close run contest.

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 18):
How about the Chelsea Rose, the 'Benyhone' Tartan design and then designs from Wales and Northern Ireland, with the fleet roughly painted in proportion to the populations of the nations? OK it would still annoy people, but it would have been a cool connection.

Great in theory, in practice however the difference in population is such that it wouldn't have given an impression of being any other than "London Airways"
Working from the present fleet size and the 2011 census you would have 236 English, 24 Scots, 13 Welsh and 8 Northern Irish.
You could of course concentrate the Scots and NI tails onto short haul planes so they are seen more often in the home nations, but no point with the Welsh as BA do not fly there except for maintenance flights into CWL.

TC957

Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:37 pm

I'm almost certain a BA regional Dash-8-300 was the last aircraft in the world tails livery.
Perhaps a search on past threads on here will confirm.

Bongodog1964

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:01 pm

Quoting TC957 (Reply 20):

I'm almost certain a BA regional Dash-8-300 was the last aircraft in the world tails livery.
Perhaps a search on past threads on here will confirm.

A pedant might well point out that Chatham Dockyard is a World tail and exists to this day.

vv701

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:10 pm

When was the last one removed what was it and on which aircraft?

G-BRYU in the Mountain of the Birds / Benyhone livery. It operated EDI-MAN ON 26 October 2006 before being ferried MAN-NWI (THOO1P). There it was repainted by Sprayavia into BA's Union Flag livery but with 'BA CONNECT' fuselage titles.

how many countries were represented

The images that were painted onto in-service aircraft were:

Animals and Trees / Kg' oocoan hee naka hiian thee e. Namibia. Painted on eight aircraft, seven operated by BA one by Comair (RSA)

Avignon. Germany. Painted on seven Deutsche BA operated 733s

Bauhaus / Sterntaler. Germany. Painted on fourteen aircraft, seven operated by Deutsche BA, three operated by BA, two operated by BA Regional and one each operated by Comair (RSA) and Maersk Air

Bavaria / Edelweiss. Germany. Painted on four Deutsche BA 733s

Blomsterang / Flower Field. Sweden. Painted on seven aircraft, four operated by BA and one each by British Regional, Comair (RSA) and Sun-Air of Scandinavia

Blue Poole. England. Painted on nine aircraft, five operated by BA and one each operated by British Regional, Comair (RSA), GB Airways and Maersk Air

British Blend. United Kingdom. A children's competition winner painted on one BA A 320

Calligraphy. Germany. Painted on four Deutsche BA 733s

Chatham Historic Dockyard / Union Flag. United Kingdom. Initially only painted on all eight BA Concordes. Later adopted fleet wide

Chelsea Rose. England. A professional artists' competition winner painted on twenty aircraft, fourteen operated by BA and one each by Atlas Air, British Regional, Brymon, CityFlyer, GB Airways and Maersk Air

Colour Down the Side. England. Painted on one DHC-8 operated by Brymon

Colum / Dove. Ireland. Painted on 24 aircraft, ten operated by BA, three by Sun-Air of Scandinavia, two by British Regional, CityFlyer and Loganair and one each by BA Regional, Brymon, Comair (RSA), GB Airways and Maersk Air

Crossing Borders. Egypt. Painted on five aircraft., two operated by BA and one each by British Mediterranean, GB Airways and Maersk Air

Delftsblauwe Dageraad / Delftblue Daybreak. Netherlands. Painted on sixteen aircraft, ten operated by BA, one each operated by BA Regional, BASE, CityFlyer, Comair (RSA), Loganair and Maersk Air

Golden Khokhloma. Russia. Painted on three aircraft, two operated by BA and one by BA Regional

Grand Union. England. An adults' competition winner painted on six aircraft, two operated by BA and one by BA Regional, British Regional, Brymon and Maersk Air

Koguty Lowickie / Cockerel of Lowicz. Poland. Painted on ten aircraft, five operated by BA and one each by British Regional, Brymon, Comair (RSA), GB Airways and Loganair

L'Espirit Liberte / Rights of Man. France. Painted on twelve aircraft all operated by Air Liberte. Three were leased from Safair and were operated initially with a 'ZS' registration before being reregistered in France.

Mountain of the Birds / Benyhone. Scotland. Painted on twenty-five aircraft, sixteen operated by BA, three by Loganair, two by British Regional and one each by Brymon, CityFlyer, Comair (RSA) and Sun-Air of Scandinavia

Nalanji Dreaming. Australia. Painted on two aircraft operated by BA

Ndebele (Emmly Masanabo). South Africa. Painted on three aircraft, two operated by BA one by Maersk Air

Ndenele (Martha Masanabo). South Africa. Painted on eleven aircraft, six operated by BA and one each by British Regional, Comair (RSA), GB Airways, Maersk Air and Sun-Air of Scandinavia

Paithani. India. Painted on three aircraft. two operated by BA and one by British Regional

Poppy of Remembrance. A special for Remembrance Day painted on three BA aircraft. One of these was Concorde G-BOAF that made its last passenger carrying flight on 24 October 2003 and was then rolled out at LHR on 26 October 2003 in Poppy of Remembrance livery for a photo shoot supporting the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal before reverting to the Union Flag livery on the next day.

Primavera / Spring. Romania. A BA Staff competition winner painted on one BA operated aircraft.

Pyramide du Louvre / Louvre Pyramid. France. Painted on three aircraft, two operated by Air Liberte and one by Airlinair

Rendezvous. China. Painted on twenty-four aircraft, eighteen operated by BA, two operated by British Regional and Sun-Air of Scandinavia and one each by BA Regional, Brymon and British Mediterranean

Sydney 2000. Great Britain. A special supporting the GB Team at the Sydney Olympic Games. Painted on three aircraft all operated by BA

Vinger / Wings. Denmark. Painted on thirteen aircraft, eight operated by BA, two by Sun-Air of Scandinavia and one each by British Regional, GB Airways and Maersk Air

Water Dreaming. Australia. Painted on four aircraft, three operated by BA and one by British Regional

Waves and Cranes. Japan. Painted on thirteen aircraft, nine operated by BA and one each operated by BA Regional, CityFlyer, Comair (RSA) and GB Airways

Waves of the City. USA. Painted on thirteen aircraft, seven operated by BA and one each operated by British Regional, Brymon, CityFlyer, GB Airways, Maersk Air and Sun-Air of Scandinavia

Whale Rider. Canada, Painted on nine aircraft, six operated by BA and one each by CityFlyer, British Mediterranean and Maersk Air.

Wunala Dreaming. Australia. Painted on two aircraft both operated by BA

Youm al-Suq / Market Place. Saudi Arabia. Painted on one aircraft operated by BA

Edit typos

[Edited 2016-01-05 08:50:50]

jetwet1

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:30 pm

I have to agree with everything you said, however, IMHO it was implemented by the wrong airline.

I loved the Landor scheme, to me it was British, yes I know by the time the World Tails rolled out it stood for the "Old British", but to me, anywhere in the world, I knew when I saw that tail what was waiting for me, the world tails, it was.....How to put this while not offending my country mates???? ..... It was almost like BA was embarrassed to be British.

While I rarely agree with Mrs Thatcher, in this case I am happy to, the Chatham Dockyard design is a compromise I can live with, showing the "New Britain" while still being very British.

RIX

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:40 pm

It was nice, but not quite appropriate and, indeed, too much. I just can't see them still in use today. Oh, and to call whoever did not like them a "xenophobe" is same retarded as to argue that Britain claimed "world hegemony" with the World Tails.

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 14):

There are a lot of people who have made an entire life out of blaming Margaret Thatcher, you are just spoiling their day

G-CIVP

Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:13 pm

Quoting slinky09 (Reply 9):
Shame that crass woman helped to kill this off!

Margaret Thatcher didn't kill the tails. They went soon after Bob Ayling left as CEO as one, it was a bit of a mish-mash, and second, Bob Ayling wasn't regarded as a successful CEO so the Utopia tails were ditched. The last BA mainline tail was removed from G-DOCT; G-MEDA was technically a BA subsidiary if you want to split hairs.

[Edited 2016-01-05 09:15:57]

GT4EZY

Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:28 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 25):
G-MEDA was technically a BA subsidiary if you want to split hairs.

Splitting hairs further...it wasn't a BA subsidiary. It was a BA franchise.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

777way
Topic Author

Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:44 pm

Most of the designs did not look good on the aircraft as they did on canvas or whatever they were presented on, the Swedish tail for example, things got distorted on aircraft in some.

Some desigsn also seem to have been slightly altetered like Waves of teh city seems to have had a light blue background on the canvas or print whatever it was created on http://plomi.smugmug.com/Airplanes/B...h-Airways-World-Images/i-kghVgw8/A

Quoting VV701 (Reply 22):

Thank you that was quite the effort on your part, really appreciate it.

Namibia tail was actually from Botswana.

China tail was respresented as Hong Kong not as China.

I wonder why they left out places like Turkey, Israel, Iran.

Nothing from entire ASEAN states thats really weird, one design from Thailand would have been good enough.

Nothing from South America, Caribbean, Central America again odd.

Surprised at he disparity? in application, just one aircraft with Saudi tail, three with Indian and some other places getting such few aircraft, it seems BA cherry picked which designs deserved better representation and I think the Saudi one and some others were much better than those that got onto more aircraft, Waves and Cranes through impressive up close, looked strange from a distance and not attractive at all, some of the tails were overly colourful and to jazzy.

BTW his design from UK looked like Truck art from Pakistan http://plomi.smugmug.com/Airplanes/B...h-Airways-World-Images/i-jbW5b65/A

There was really no need for miltople designs from one country, three from Australia, why? two from south Africa and Germany, instead could have been represented by five more different countries.

So as one poster said were there plans to add more designs from other places later on?

In a way the world tails lasted almost a decade considering it came out in 1997.

Polot

Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:53 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 27):
There was really no need for miltople designs from one country, three from Australia, why? two from south Africa and Germany, instead could have been represented by five more different countries.

Because those are former British colonies and/or contain(ed) BA subsidiaries/franchises, so there was greater representation.

TC957

Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:53 pm

I was always surprised BA didn't come out with a Mexican stripey tail design like Mexican rugs have, since they just started flying to Mexico City around that time.

vv701

Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:10 pm

why such a few countries represented from Asia

If we discount the 'specials' and those unique to flights operated by or on behalf of both Air Liberte and Deutsche BA included in my listing in Reply 22 there are 27 World Images. Of these Of these four were winners of competitions that were launched after the World Images launch in June 1997.

IIRC at the time of the World Images launch a BA Press Release talked of 50 different designs. So it is likely we have seen less than half of those originally planned. So there are a significant number of 'missing' countries. Most notable amongst them is 'Wales'. But since we do not know which countries were included in the 27 planned designs that never saw the light of day we do not know which countries may have eventually had a BA tail design.

Nearly all the designs used frequently were 'developed', the notable exception being 'Chelsea Rose'. Some of the resulting variations were adaptations to address the wide variations between almost square tails (e.g. 747, 146) and tall narrow tails (e,g, 777).

Other adaptations were apparently purely made to improve the design. For example early examples of both Ndebele designs had vertival black lines on the white areas. On later examples these lines were removed.

The design with most adaptations appears to be 'Rendezvous'. The starting point here is to recognise that since this image comprises Chinese language characters it is the only World Image where that on the left side is not a mirror image of the design on the right side. In other words both sides are 'write reading'.

In order to get approximately the same main part of the image (the Chinese character for 'wind') centrally on both sides of the tail its position and orientation is different on the two sides of the tail. So if we consider the orientation is vertical on the left side that on the right side slopes by something of the order of thirty degrees. If you look at two images of the same aircraft, one of each side, this is most evident by comparing the orientation of the bottom stroke of the main character.

Initially the 'Rendezvous' design includes the red seal of the artist as well as the Chinese characters on a white background. Then along came 757 G-BMRG with a light yellow instead of a white tail. Still later cane 772 G-VIIT with a white tail but an enlarged, fawn coloured shadow image of the Chinese characters. This was followed by two 752s, the last aircraft to be painted with this image. These aircraft, G-BIKI and 'KN both had the same shadow image but in a distinctly different light but bright pink colour.

Another variation of the 'Rendezvous' image was the positioning of the red artist's seal. In initial examples it was positioned forward of the main black character on both sides. In later versions the seal is repositioned behind (to the right of) the main character that has been moved slightly forward. So it is forward of the main Chinese character on the right side, aft of the character on the left side. This variation can be seen, for example, by comparing images of 752s G-BIKN and G-BMRG.

Finally there is the country descriptor. This was absent on initial versions of the 'Rendezvous' image. When it did appear on the upper rear fuselage there were two versions, 'China' (as on 752 G-BIKI) and 'Hong Kong' (as on 772 G-VIIT).

No other image shows as many variations. However some variations are much more marked. For example the part of the artist's original image in the 'Crossing Borders' design on 320 G-MEDD is entirely different to that used on 752 G-BIKT. Another example is the 'Colum' design. On 732 G-BGDR the dominant colour is blue. On 732 G-OGBB the predominant colour is orange.

Similarly the icons on three of the four 747s painted in the 'Delftblue Daybreak' livery (G-BNLD, G-CIVC, G-CIVN) are changed around. On the other hand 772 G-RAES's tail, unlike sister ship G-VIIU, illustrates none of these icons and that on 'IU is very different to that on either of the aforementioned 744s.

Sorry I am not illustrating this with photos but there are many in the data base for those who are interested.

readytotaxi

Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:49 pm

If only I had such a powerful handkerchief, many things I would like to make vanish.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

G-CIVP

Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:43 pm

The revised schemes such as 'Rendezvous' were supposed to be improvements as the originals were not well received. Please don't ask me for a citation for this but it was well known and commented upon by industry insiders at the time.

vv701

Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:54 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 27):
China tail was respresented as Hong Kong not as China.

Four aircraft painted in the 'Rendezvous' scheme had 'China' painted on their upper rear fuselage:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Remi Dallot
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hunt

GiBIKI and G-BIKN

View Large View Medium

Photo © Janne Laukkonen
View Large View Medium

Photo © Viktor Laszlo - Budapest Aviation Photography

G-CPEU and G-CPEV

Only one was painted 'Hong Kong':

View Large View Medium

Photo © Richard Chase

G-VIIT

Quoting polot (Reply 28):
three from Australia, why?

At the time BA had a significant equity investment in QF. One of the three Australian designs ('Water Dreaming') was unique to BA. The other two ('Nalanji Dreaming and 'Wanula Dreaming') were each also worn on the fuselage of a QF 744

two from south Africa

The artists were twin sisters. Perhaps a case of you can't have one without the other.

Germany

Only one, 'Bauhaus / Sterntaler', was worn by airlines apart from BA's then German subsidiary, Deutsche BA

BojamDelta

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:26 pm

During blowy days on the ramp when the Rudder moves you can just make out the World Tails between the Tail and Rudder (if that makes sense?) especially on a few of the 777s.
BZHB you can clearly make out Delftblue Daybreak.

Bo)am.

777way
Topic Author

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Dosent make sense, only one came out of Hong Kong and India, none from Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei also former colonies leaving out an entire region of southeast asia that needed representation in the first round, as did some place from Latin america/caribbean, ex-colonies and current territories there too.

Quoting VV701 (Reply 30):
Quoting VV701 (Reply 33):
Germany

Only one, 'Bauhaus / Sterntaler', was worn by airlines apart from BA's then German subsidiary, Deutsche BA
Avignon. Germany. Painted on seven Deutsche BA operated 733s

Bauhaus / Sterntaler. Germany. Painted on fourteen aircraft, seven operated by Deutsche BA, three operated by BA, two operated by BA Regional and one each operated by Comair (RSA) and Maersk Air

Bavaria / Edelweiss. Germany. Painted on four Deutsche BA 733s

Calligraphy. Germany. Painted on four Deutsche BA 733s

Thats four.

Quoting VV701 (Reply 33):

Thanks again and WOW! you are so well informed, were you related to the project or airline?

FlyCaledonian

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:54 pm

VV701, can you clarify if I'm correct in thinking that the plan was to use different parts of the image (where appropriate) on the tail? So in effect if the original painting was square, you'd almost put a cutout of the relevant tail and decide which bit you wanted.

I think roughly half the fleet had still be painted when it was announced that 'Chatham Dockyard' was to be applied to aircraft other than Concorde, with initial plans to keep half the fleet with World Tails and the remainder with 'Chatham Dockyard'. Then they announnced the World tails were going. Even then, the design of 'Chatham Dockyard' has evolved. On Concorde it was very much designed around the angular tail. On the subsonic fleet it became a bit more fluid (look at early photos of BA A319s in the database compared to Concorde). But there was a lot of white on the tail. Then the flag was 'stretched' to fill the tail more (I think there was a whole thread about this, showing G-EUPx A319s as delivered and then after their first repaint).

For me, I liked the World Tails but there were too many. I liked the way the images, as has been pointed out, were used on everything from timetables and luggage labels to even seat covers. It might have been better to limit the designs used on aircraft, and used the rest of the images accordingly. E.g. the 'Rendevous' image could have been used as a backdrop to the BA Ticket Counter at HKG and PEK, on menus for those flights, etc.

I also suspect that the tails were expensive to paint/vinyl (everyone pretty much unique) and that it was a maintenance headache, e.g. if you had to swap a rudder it really would stick out like a sore thumb.

If they had rationed the tails used on aircraft I'd have suggested regional designs to give a unique identity to some of the franchise carriers - and don't forget BA was going for these in a big way outside of the UK as well as in it - so World Tails with a local link might have made sense for Comair, etc. Deutsche BA and Air Liberte had their own versions of the World Tails for use in Germany and France, so it could have worked.

My personal preferences if this had happened would have been: -

* Delftblue Daybreak (The Netherlands) - BASE Regional Airlines (Yes, who remembers BA had a Dutch franchise that even flew Embraer props into LHR!)
* Waves of the City (New York/USA) - Mainline BA 747-236B fleet that were doing a lot of the JFK/EWR flying
* Grand Union (UK) - Maersk Air UK (BHX based) and also BHX based BA Regional aircraft
* Mountain of the Birds (Scotland) - Mainline BA and Loganair (Scottish based franchise carrier)
- I'd even have suggested limit this one to Loganair and use one (or all) of the BCal tartans on Mainline tails!
* Chelsea Rose (England) - Mainline BA
* Colum (Ireland) - Mainline BA
* Flower Field (Sweden) - Sun-Air of Scandinavia (Danish based franchise carrier)
* Wings (Denmark) - Sun-Air of Scandinavia
* Blue Poole (England) - Brymon Airways (BA owned regional carrier that had a base in SOU)
* Colour down the side (South West England) - Brymon Airways (links to operations out of NQY, PLY, BRS)
* Ndebele Martha (South Africa) - Comair (South African based franchise carrier)
* Ndebele Emmly (South Africa) - Comair
* Animals & Trees (Botswana) - Comair
* Crossing Borders (Egypt) - British Mediterranean Airways (LHR based franchise carrier)

With the rich histories of the Potteries I wonder if an appropriate design could have been found that could have been used by BA Regional and British Regional Airlines (UK based franchise carrier formed that eventually through mergers ended up as BA Connect) to link with MAN?

I'd have also looked for a Welsh design (BA Mainline) and a Northern Irish one that could have been used by British Regional Airlines.

GB Airways (LGW based franchise carrier) would have needed a Spanish influenced design (lot of flying to the Costas), plus possibly a Portuguese one and something from Morrocco/Tunisia.

British Mediterranean Airways could have had something from the Levant and/or Caucuses.

I can't recall if the short-lived Kenyan franchise carrier was around when World Tails were and also National Jet Italia, which was a short-lived Italian operation.

I'll just finish up (if anyone is still reading) by pointing out that World Tails came about when BA was still "The World's Favourite Airline" - flying more international passengers than anyone else. As can be evidenced by the fact that it had German and French subsiduaries (Deutsche BA and Air Liberte) plus franchise carriers at one point or another based in Denmark, The Netherlands, Italy, Kenya and South Africa it was trying to have a global presence. Plus in British Mediterranean and GB Airways it had two UK based franchise carriers with a strong regional focus (North Africa, Iberian Peninsula and later France and the central Medierranean for GB Airways; North East Africa, Middle East, Caucus Region and Central Asia for BMed). So the there was logic behind the World Tails if you think about, when it might not have been seen as politically sensitive to have aircraft based all over the World with the Union Flag plastered all over tail (very imperialistic in some eyes!).

My final point is that whilst when BA was formed the Union Flag (or a stylised section) was part of the BA logo, when the Landor livery came out the BA logo was the Speedwing. BRITISH AIRWAYS with the speedwing beneath was the logo on timetables, luggage labels, etc. Ah, some might say the flag was on the tail but actually the only bit that could be said to be so was the red diagonal and the blue triangle - the large blue field above (red previously) is not correct if we're saying it was a flag extract - and even that wasused to display the BA coat of arms (in silver). When World Tails came along the Speedwing was redesigned and became the Speedmarque, and that was positioned above and to the right of BRITISH AIRWAYS. Unfortunately with World Tails too many assumed BA was no longer "flying the flag" but technically it never had. It was just that too many people assumed that the Landor tail was a section of Union Flag and that was the BA logo. In 40+ years it is only the current BA livery that has come closest to "flying the flag" on the tail with a tail design that most resembles a section of the Union Flag, yet it is not the BA logo!

Cr
Let's Go British Caledonian!

777way
Topic Author

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:37 pm

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 36):
I'd have also looked for a Welsh design (BA Mainline) and a Northern Irish one that could have been used by British Regional Airlines.

GB Airways (LGW based franchise carrier) would have needed a Spanish influenced design (lot of flying to the Costas), plus possibly a Portuguese one and something from Morrocco/Tunisia.

British Mediterranean Airways could have had something from the Levant and/or Caucuses.

I can't recall if the short-lived Kenyan franchise carrier was around when World Tails were and also National Jet Italia, which was a short-lived Italian operation.

Yes leaving out Spain weird again, did they have Italy or Greece? it all seems like a very haphazard selection.

Kenyan franchise whore the current flag on tail.

coolian2

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:43 pm

I loved them. I always thought Chlesea Rose could have stayed.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

pegasus1

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:29 am

Someone once pointed out to me that the Chinese script on the 'Rendezvous' tails (see photos in VV701's Reply 33 above) could be viewed as though someone had written the word 'sex' with a fountain pen with a hair attached to the nib.

Once I'd seen what they meant, I could never look at those tails again in the same light and, to this day, always read 'sex' on the tai of those aircraft when I see the pix  

For the record, I liked them too, but the message that BA was a British carrier that recognised and welcomed the culture of the customers it carried from all over the world was lost on many, including many of the very customers it was reaching out to. Some of them said clearly that the reason they loved and flew BA was because of its very "Britishness'. They didn't want to be 'reached out to' and didn't want the strong British image of BA to be diluted.

[Edited 2016-01-05 16:33:49]

skipness1E

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:34 am

They had no intention of using Chatham on anything but Concorde and yet when (from memory), they flew the Queen on a State Visit to Korea, they put G-BNWS(?) into Union Flag and it just really reminded everyone of what they were missing. Then came G-BDXB and the roll out fleet widebthanks to Rod Eddington.

As 777way's dog with a stick questioning proves, it was just more trouble than it was worth in the end.

Finally, why do people not call Air France "Paris Airways" or Emirates as "Air Dubai". This is the same London Airways that serves ABZ, INV, GLA,EDI, BHD, NCL, LBA, MAN, JER and oh why not, DUB. (please take that in the spirit of most of us love the Irish). Perhaps that MAN-JFK scar will heal one day? Perhaps not....

lalib

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:05 am

Slightly off topic but PIA did something similar starting with their new 777's in 2001 or around then. Those ethnic designs of the provinces looked brilliant and still there was room for PIA and logo on the upper part of the tail.

I think they went away too soon.

shuttle9juliet

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:15 am

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 40):

G-BNWR was the aircraft, and it was also specially kitted out with a royal suite on board..
It's a built up module, with bed, lounge etc and they just load it onto the A/C.

777way
Topic Author

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:49 am

Quoting lalib (Reply 41):

In 2006, and the designs were a welcome change from the awful flag tail that they replaced but not so geat at the same time expecially with that white band and logo, some other carriers have done it to in their own styles, Batik Air, Mexicana, Jetblue maybe a few more.

Lofty

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:37 am

As Chatham was a BA World Tail which was designed to use on Concorde you could say that BA still have them.

vv701

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:02 pm

IIRC at the time of the World Images launch a BA Press Release talked of 50 different designs.

Found a hard copy of the five page BA Press Release 'A new British Airways takes off today' dated 10 June 1997. The relevant section reads:

'But at the heart of the new corporate identity is the creation of more than 50 world images which will appear on the airline's 308 aircraft plus ground vehicles . stationery. signage, baggage tags and ticket wallets . . .'

Quoting 777way (Reply 35):
were you related to the project or airline?

No and no. But see below.

I think roughly half the fleet had still be painted when it was announced that 'Chatham Dockyard' was to be applied to aircraft other than Concorde, with initial plans to keep half the fleet with World Tails and the remainder with 'Chatham Dockyard'.
They had no intention of using Chatham on anything but Concorde and yet when (from memory), they flew the Queen on a State Visit to Korea, they put G-BNWS(?) into Union Flag

The aircraft concerned was 763 G-BNWR. It had operated CLT-LGW (BA2006) on 7 April 1999 in the 'Chelsea Rose' livery/ It was then ferried to LHR on the following day where it entered BA Maintenance.

On 18 April it was rolled out, the first subsonic aircraft to be painted in BA Union Flag livery. It had also been fitted with the Royal Suite. That day it operated LHR-SEL (BA9127C) carrying HM Queen Elizabeth and HRH Prince Philip on a State Visit to South Korea.

This was as much of a publicity coup as the launch of World Images almost two years earlier was a publicity disaster. The combination of Queen Elizabeth and the Union Flag tail attracted wide and favourable media coverage.

It was just a couple of weeks layer that I received a letter from British Airways in reply to my letter written at about the time of the Queen's State Visit. In my letter I had asked about the reason for the small and sometimes large variations in what was a single image when applied to different aircraft (as discussed above). The BA letter invited me to contact the BA manager responsible for the implementation of the World Images programme to arrange a visit to meet with him.

So May 1999 found me at BA's Waterside HQ meeting this gentleman (whose name I have regrettably mislaid).

I think the reason why I got the invitation was to establish my background. It was soon clear from our conversation that I was an enthusiast and not a professional aeronautical writer.

So what did I learn?

I was told that the variations I had noted were primarily if not solely related to the differing shapes of the tails across the BA fleet. So the designs were adapted to the tail shape.

What I did learn that I nave never seen published elsewhere were BA's future plans for their World Images programme as they were at that moment in mid May 99. They were that that the programme would continue but it would now include a subsonic version of the Union Flag / Chatham Historic Dockyard image that would be applied to six aircraft of three different types. By that time a further 763 (G-BNWL) had been rolled out in Union Flag livery (on 30 April). Soon after my visit the first 752 appeared in Union Flag livery. But before the third type appeared (744?) the media success of the Union Flag livery had resulted in an announcement that it would be adopted for all BA aircraft.

So returning to 777way's query the only insider information I have relates to the initial BA reaction to the first subsonic aircraft painted in Union Flag livery. This information was quickly superseded by the plan that reacted to the media and public reaction that in turn resulted in the adoption of a livery that is truly British in place of one where the BA fuselage Speedmarque was designed to signal the airline's Britishness and the tails signified that it was an international airline obtaining - as the Press Release named above stated - 60 per cent of its business outside the UK.

skipness1E

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:50 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 45):
It was just a couple of weeks layer that I received a letter from British Airways in reply to my letter written at about the time of the Queen's State Visit. In my letter I had asked about the reason for the small and sometimes large variations in what was a single image when applied to different aircraft (as discussed above). The BA letter invited me to contact the BA manager responsible for the implementation of the World Images programme to arrange a visit to meet with him.

God that's so last century ! Nowadays you and hundred others would tweet @him  

If you are a fan-boy like me on this, there's a book you'd love.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Airw...ry-Aircraft-Liveries/dp/1840371420

Hope that's OK, there are of course other retailers but I got this years ago and it has pride of place.

vv701

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 46):
If you are a fan-boy like me on this, there's a book you'd love.

I am. And many thanks for your considerate thought. Pleased to say I already have two copies! If I had only one then it would be very dog-eared by now!

Not as good as the above but still very interesting is the latest edition to my BA library. It is 'British Airways An Illustrated History' by Paul Jarvis published by Amberley (Stroud, 2014) 'in association with British Airways'. In goes right back to AT&T and 1919.

I wonder if BA will do anything in 2019 to celebrate this centennial ? If it does that will stir some discussion here on a-net as to whether or not AT&T, having gone bankrupt in 1920, really can be a British Airways predecessor. But who knows? An A350 delivered in AT&T livery?   

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/144561850...t=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8qdzb1fzxe_b

Edit: Link added

[Edited 2016-01-06 06:40:06]

vv701

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:10 pm

With the rich histories of the Potteries I wonder if an appropriate design could have been found that could have been used by BA Regional and British Regional Airlines (UK based franchise carrier formed that eventually through mergers ended up as BA Connect) to link with MAN?

The BA approach was to own the designs. So, for example, having decided on ceramic artist Sally Tuffin who had been working with Poole Potteries since 1995, BA commissioned her to produce a design that they then purchased. She applied her Blue Poole design to a dish and a vase. There were three adaptations painted on BA's tails. One had a fish positioned below three sea birds - see 752 G-BIKA. Another had a forward facing dolphin (present on both the original plate and vase) between the three sea birds and the fish (as on 732 G-BKYB while a third is like the second but with two anf not three sea birds (as on 742 G-BDXD):

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner
View Large View Medium

Photo © J.Laporte

G- BIKA and G-BKYB

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Borda

G-BDXD

MrHMSH

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:59 pm

Finally, why do people not call Air France "Paris Airways" or Emirates as "Air Dubai". This is the same London Airways that serves ABZ, INV, GLA,EDI, BHD, NCL, LBA, MAN, JER and oh why not, DUB. (please take that in the spirit of most of us love the Irish). Perhaps that MAN-JFK scar will heal one day? Perhaps not....

Those places have essentially the same deal as any other BA destination: flights to London, they just happen to be in the UK or Ireland. I can't think of any route BA fly that doesn't terminate in London. AF offer some flights from cities outside Paris, EK are technically Dubai Airways, but they're not the flag carrier, and I think they're essentially owned by the Dubai government.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos