Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

migair54
Topic Author

RAM Pilots Refuse To Eat On Board Food, Too Bad.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Apparently most of the RAM pilots started refusing to eat on board food because they consider it is too bad and they are doing some kind of strike, called by some media, the caviar strike, to publically complain against the quality of the food they are getting during the flight.
So when doing international flight they order food from outside, I am not sure how that works or if they just eat something from any place in the airport itself and who's paying for it.

It is really bad publicity for the airline, I have never flown with RAM, is it really so bad?? or it's just plane food, difficult to find good one traveling in economy in most of the airlines.

http://www.tourismapost.com/meme-les-pilotes-ram-nen-veulent-pas/ French link.

http://www.abc.es/economia/abci-pilo...us-avion-201601071256_noticia.html Spanish link.

TS-IOR

RE: RAM Pilots Refuse To Eat On Board Food, Too Bad.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:10 pm

RAM should not pay for any other meal ordered by the capricious pilots. They have better think of the pilots who bring food from home. RAM is doing very well in improving its in-flight service including food... for passengers and i don't think crew is neglected.

Aesma

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:36 pm

I flew with them for the first time this year (4 legs) and found the food acceptable. I don't understand the pilots' problem, it doesn't appear like a very smart move to badmouth your company over something like that.

debonair

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Worked for a German airline before and ALL North African catering companies were banned from uploading as none of the facilities inspected reached minimum hygienic standards... Only exemption was Egypt - catering was outsourced to a local 5star hotel (I think it was the Hilton), after MS failed to deliver.

TS-IOR

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:12 pm

Until a couple of years ago Lufthansa catering out of TUN was prepped by a reknown Tunisian hotel then by Tunisie Catering/Newrest. It's no longer the case now. Back to the RAM pilots mess, it's a shame they ended at such a down level.

jfklganyc

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:19 pm

You honestly should never make a habit of eating airline food regularly. It is LOADED with sodium and fat. While not a big deal when you fly, for pilots doing this for 30 years, it is bad.

Never touch a snack, food box, or meal from anything I am flying. That's just me.

hz747300

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:45 pm

I assume airline food is designed to constipate people, is it the high sodium & fat which does that?

Personally, if they don't like it, I get it. But couldn't they just order a shawarma in the terminal and bring it with them prior to boarding.

This reminds me of my school when I was in Jeddah, it was owned at the time by Saudia and our lunches were catered by the airline. We even received the plastic trays for the hot food. I don't think this led to my weight problem, instead I blame my love of cheeseburgers as an adult.

JQflightie

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:04 pm

as onboard crew, generally it's not that great, eating the same meal 5/6 times a week gets pretty dull, and mainly tasteless/salty. Many of us, and as a onboard manager, wait and feed off the scraps left from Business Class and I will generally offer the Tech crew what is left in the Business Class cabin too. A lot of our crews bring their own salads on domestic flights or we all order a SPML mainly a Low Fat/Gluten/ Vegetarian Meal because we know it's now exactly mass produced and is nice, fresh and substantial.

TS-IOR

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:19 pm

The two answers above says it all and maybe a proof of ignorance and bad eating habits in addition to being ridiculously capricious.

tonystan

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:30 pm

Probably some of the highest paid individuals in that country living an elite lifestyle. I have NO sympathy for them at all!

There are millions in their continent starving.

Yflyer

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:14 am

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 6):
I assume airline food is designed to constipate people, is it the high sodium & fat which does that?

I'm not sure where you get the idea that airline food is designed to constipate people. Airline food is designed to taste good (or at least palatable) at high altitude, where your taste buds are less sensitive. I assume the high fat and sodium help with that.

goboeing

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:34 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 9):
Probably some of the highest paid individuals in that country living an elite lifestyle. I have NO sympathy for them at all!

The good news is, it doesn't matter how much or how little sympathy for them you have, because it's their business and none of yours.

If they've decided matters have gotten this bad, then they're probably doing something you'd have done yourself if you were in their shoes. You just don't realize it from your perspective, and that's understandable.

TheRedBaron

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:37 am

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 10):
I'm not sure where you get the idea that airline food is designed to constipate people. Airline food is designed to taste good (or at least palatable) at high altitude, where your taste buds are less sensitive. I assume the high fat and sodium help with that.

Well I live in Mexico city so the altitude of the cabin is my everyday altitude and pressure, and I can tell you that seldomly Airline food tastes great, most of the time its ok (a tad salty and dry), but I think eating that stuff on a regular basis must be torture.

TRB

hz747300

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:02 am

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 10):

I'm not sure where you get the idea that airline food is designed to constipate people.

It was in the book "Air Babylon". It made sense, you wouldn't want a plane with 230 people and 6 lavs, and people having the sh!ts at the same time. At least I wouldn't.

DualQual

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:08 am

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 13):

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in anything written in that book.

euroflyer

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:16 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 9):

There are millions in their continent starving.

You can definitely not compare Morocco to subsaharian countries where such a reaction would have been taken as clearly unbearable.
Morocco is known for having one of the world's greatest cuisine and even the poorest can decently eat for few dirhams.
Also, since RAM is mainly proposing continental meals onboard, the pilots reaction is IMO based on the fact that RAM's continental food is far from the traditional local cuisine (both in term of quality and ingrédients).

migair54
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:12 am

This reaction from pilots talks very bad about the catering, but what about the cabin crew?? I guess they're eating the same food, and so far they've said nothing.

myself personally I carry my own food as much as I can, airplane food is horrible and eating few times a week is even worse, even most of the food you can buy at airports is not great and highly over price.

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 13):
It was in the book "Air Babylon". It made sense, you wouldn't want a plane with 230 people and 6 lavs, and people having the sh!ts at the same time. At least I wouldn't.

I think food safety is more important than quality in the case you're talking, you don't want 230 pax with food poisoning.

Morocco has a great cuisine and food tradition, and I always thought that RAM has high standards, but with this issue I started to doubt. Does RAM have their own catering?? Any chance to get a decent catering company in Morocco like LSG, Gate Gourmet.

Who handles EK, EY and QR?? Round trip food??

vinniewinnie

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:18 am

I flew 8 legs last year and if the food is still as bad as it was well I think RAM pilots have every right to strike! The food was about eatable to undigestable...

euroflyer

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:04 am

Quoting migair54 (Reply 16):
Does RAM have their own catering?? Any chance to get a decent catering company in Morocco like LSG, Gate Gourmet.

They used to have their own catering company (part of RAM group) but I think now it's Servair which handle catering

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:02 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 5):
You honestly should never make a habit of eating airline food regularly. It is LOADED with sodium and fat. While not a big deal when you fly, for pilots doing this for 30 years, it is bad.

Never touch a snack, food box, or meal from anything I am flying. That's just me.

Yup. A friend of mine used to work as a pilot for a wellknown European low cost carrier, which disd not offer crew meals and where everybody had to bring his own food and drinks. His wife packed him reasonably healthy lunch boxes. But then he moved to a different airline, where they served crew meals, and he got fat in no time.

Jan

JQflightie

Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:10 am

Quoting migair54 (Reply 16):

That's because we, as cabin crew, eat the business class food that's left over and don't offer it to the tech crew because they get an allowance anyway. See my above response.

migair54
Topic Author

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:01 am

Quoting JQflightie (Reply 20):
That's because we, as cabin crew, eat the business class food that's left over and don't offer it to the tech crew because they get an allowance anyway. See my above response.

I know, don't cabin crew have also meal allowance?? we do in my airline and the same amount for every crew in the plane, but if you don't work on long haul even business class food at the end is the same everyday and I personally got tired after 3 days of eating the same.

Quoting euroflyer (Reply 18):
They used to have their own catering company (part of RAM group) but I think now it's Servair which handle catering

I am sure Servair can offer a good catering, but you got what you pay for... the can spend a few extra bucks and get a decent order for the crew, many cargo airlines have good food for crew, no leftovers from business.

bwest

Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:52 pm

I've flown them quite a lot both in business and economy. I can understand the pilots, the food on board is generally pretty bad. Business class menu remained unchanged the first two years I flew with them. It then slightly improved, but still nothing to shout about.

Also noticed a couple of times that the crew didn't come round with the cheese cart in C, even though it was mentioned on the menu, but in stead ate the cheese themselves in the galley...

diverted

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:43 pm

Why not just scrap the crew meals and give them per diems instead?

That's how it's been the last 2 places I've worked (one of which had crew meals but got rid of them due to the never ending complaints, regardless of what was provided)

tonystan

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:42 pm

Quoting goboeing (Reply 11):
The good news is, it doesn't matter how much or how little sympathy for them you have, because it's their business and none of yours.

If they've decided matters have gotten this bad, then they're probably doing something you'd have done yourself if you were in their shoes. Y

It's none of your business either mate but it's being discussed here so I am allowed to comment as are you!

I'm all on for taking action when being threatened by your employer, God knows iv experienced many a picket line in my time but when it comes to such trivial items as food which is provided for free onboard it does make one think where ones priorities lay?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos