Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

"Human Waste Falling From The Skies?"

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:33 am

Perhaps a slow news day but an interesting read.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-35255102

"Britain's Civil Aviation Authority, for example, has said that around 25 falls of "blue ice" are reported every year from the 2.5 million flights a year over UK airspace."

I am guessing that these reports are based on older aircraft not fitted with vac pump toilets?

PS. Never eat yellow snow.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

EIDL

RE: "Human Waste Falling From The Skies?"

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:06 am

Quoting readytotaxi (Thread starter):
I am guessing that these reports are based on older aircraft not fitted with vac pump toilets?

Minor leaks, usually.

moo

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:20 am

An incidence rate of 0.001% is newsworthy?!?

shamrock137

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:36 am

Doesn't usually have much to do with the toilet type, these incidents usually happen on the lav panel. Usually what happens is a bad seal on the fill port will leak, or the ramp person not attaching the fill cap will cause it to leak. The fill port has "clean" lav fluid, which is what drops off the aircraft. The lav waste dump has 2 seals, an internal flap valve and external drain valve cap so its almost impossible for dirty lav fluid to leak unless the panel is being serviced.

Time to spare? Go by air!

smokeybandit

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:47 am

Quoting moo (Reply 2):

Poop is always newsworthy

fallap

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:49 am

Quoting moo (Reply 2):

Shouldn't it be 0.00001% ?

[Edited 2016-01-08 03:50:41]
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

moo

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:54 am

Quoting fallap (Reply 5):
Shouldn't it be 0.00001% ?

No, 0.001% or 0.00001.

Same rate, different things.

reltney

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Vacuum toilets are not fool proof.

I was flying a 767-300 LAS -SFO-SJC(football charter) PHL. Long day too.

The flight attendant called and said the toilets are making weird noises when flushing. Ok. They know the noises planes make back there better than pilots. When we landed in SFO, the Lav truck pulled up to suck the plane clean but found out there was nothing inside.. Weird I thought... So I went outside to preflight and found a giant brown stain from the aft pressure differential pressure port. The brown spot started from 1/2 way between the wing and elevator and ran all the way aft . I was told a seal ruptured and we sprayed Calfornia with poop and pee . Great place for this to happen as I bet we were over organic growing fields .... The mechanic said it happens a few times a year and ends up sucking the entire contents from that holding tank. The smell was pretty bad. Blue ice now doesn't seem so bad now...

Cheers
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

neutrino

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:01 pm

Not from an airliner but right on thread title. A long time ago, when I was serving in the Air Force, I had been flown on the C-130 numerous times. Everytime, at pref light briefing, we were told to ensure that our bowels are empty as the aircraft have no S**ting facilities. It can only cater to liquid waste. But the urinal is just a funnel-like thingy directly crafted onto the body on the port side near the rear ramp. We only have to flip open a flap to relieve ourselves onto a spring loaded circular "trapdoor" at the neck, and the yellow liquid would exit the freighter into the atmosphere. Not sure if the practice is still on today on similar planes. The newer military cargo planes that double up as rudimentary troop transports might or might not be equipped with a real toilet but there are still not insignificant numbers of older models with the above "urinal". So?
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Tristarsteve

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Quoting neutrino (Reply 8):
The newer military cargo planes that double up as rudimentary troop transports might or might not be equipped with a real toilet

The toilet on the Airbus A400 is straight out of an A320. Same colours as well. Looks out of place in the rest of the grey decour.

neutrino

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Quoting Tristarsteve (Reply 9):

Thanks for the info. I haven't traveled on a military plane for three decades.
Looks like the modern mil transports are now more fit for human "consumption".
How about newer-build older upgraded designs? The J version of the Hercs?
Highly likely the vintage ones are still dispensing urine over our heads.   

I suppose the smaller civil transports of around a dozen seats do have some kind of proper human waste disposal?

ramprat74

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:47 pm

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/37/54/45/8309068/7/920x920.jpg

VijayJ

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Quoting reltney (Reply 7):

Would that be a sh#t storm?

nema

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:24 pm

To be honest, this is a crap topic...
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

diverted

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:34 pm

Not from an airliner but right on thread title. A long time ago, when I was serving in the Air Force, I had been flown on the C-130 numerous times. Everytime, at pref light briefing, we were told to ensure that our bowels are empty as the aircraft have no S**ting facilities. It can only cater to liquid waste. But the urinal is just a funnel-like thingy directly crafted onto the body on the port side near the rear ramp. We only have to flip open a flap to relieve ourselves onto a spring loaded circular "trapdoor" at the neck, and the yellow liquid would exit the freighter into the atmosphere. Not sure if the practice is still on today on similar planes. The newer military cargo planes that double up as rudimentary troop transports might or might not be equipped with a real toilet but there are still not insignificant numbers of older models with the above "urinal". So?

Never been on a military Herc, but our Hercs had a honey bucket-no urinal venting to atmosphere. Either way, still no provision for a #2.

PhilBy

Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:02 pm

I can only refer to

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-30541015

It's not just planes!

FlyBTV

Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:27 pm

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 15):

I can only refer to

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-30541015

It's not just planes!

I was traveling in Switzerland 7-8 years ago and was surprised when I found a number of trains did not have retention toilets. They have been required in the US since the early 90s.

stevestili

Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:35 pm

Quoting ramprat74 (Reply 11):

Utah744

Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:57 pm

True story (wink, wink.) His job was servicing the aircraft toilet tank. All day long one airliner after another. On de-coupling often the hose would drip down to his hand and down his arm into his shirt and under shirt. His wife would complain when he came home about his small. One particularly smelly day she told him he should quit this crappy job. His reply "What, and get out of aviation?"
You are never too old to learn something stupid

CcrlR

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:01 pm

Quoting shamrock137 (Reply 3):
Doesn't usually have much to do with the toilet type, these incidents usually happen on the lav panel. Usually what happens is a bad seal on the fill port will leak, or the ramp person not attaching the fill cap will cause it to leak. The fill port has "clean" lav fluid, which is what drops off the aircraft. The lav waste dump has 2 seals, an internal flap valve and external drain valve cap so its almost impossible for dirty lav fluid to leak unless the panel is being serviced.

I've had some instances where the valve in the toilet tank was lodged open by a bottle or soda/beer can. Once the aircraft pressurized, it started leaking out of the valve outside and the panel. Once the aircraft landed and the crew did their walkaround, there was a streak on the aircraft near the lav servicing panel. Turns out the person who serviced the lav did not notice the leak and thought it was just residual from inside the pipe. MTX found the obstruction and it was leak checked good. It turned out that they had filled up the tank with a big bottle instead of the usual way with the hoses. The reason why they did not service it there was the issue with it leaking through the servicing line into the lav. It's one of those streaks you don't want to see like the coffee stains on the fuselage from the doors if they spill coffee in the galley.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

fallap

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:11 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 6):
No, 0.001% or 0.00001.

Same rate, different things.

Dammit you are right.

Thankfully I already passed math :p
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

Motorhussy

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:19 pm

Every time there have been reports of this happening in New Zealand, with homeowners complaining who are in airport approaches, it has turned out to be duck excrement. Flat lands around airports often provide ponds, lakes and other habitat for wild fowl, and a flock of ducks can provide quite a wild foul.
come visit the south pacific

torontofly

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:25 pm

I never thought that blue ice can be that dangerous untill Friday, Aprill 13 2003. Blue ice separated in flight from the FWD luv service panel on TU154 and was ingested by starboard engine and caused uncontained engine failure. Luckily, titanium shrapnel did not penetrate through the inlet duct of engine 2 and pressurized cabin. It also could cut the engine fuel supply. That was the scariest for me because it reminded me a Concord crash out of Paris that killed this aircraft operation.

CcrlR

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Quoting torontofly (Reply 22):
I never thought that blue ice can be that dangerous untill Friday, Aprill 13 2003. Blue ice separated in flight from the FWD luv service panel on TU154 and was ingested by starboard engine and caused uncontained engine failure. Luckily, titanium shrapnel did not penetrate through the inlet duct of engine 2 and pressurized cabin. It also could cut the engine fuel supply. That was the scariest for me because it reminded me a Concord crash out of Paris that killed this aircraft operation.

There is a similar incident that happened but the engine fell off.
Northwest Airlines Flight 5

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brian Harrison

"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

Devilfish

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:20 pm

Quoting ramprat74 (Reply 11):

Glory be.....manna from heaven!!!   

[Edited 2016-01-08 14:23:21]
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

milemaster

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:55 pm

The title of this thread mislead me as I expected this to be a news story of a Kardashian family skydiving trip.

[Edited 2016-01-08 14:59:52]

bgm

Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:26 am

Quoting milemaster (Reply 25):
The title of this thread mislead me as I expected this to be a news story of a Kardashian family skydiving trip.

Post of the day!
Hires only the best people... lol

thomasphoto60

Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:31 am

Recall hearing someone refer to them as "Boeing Bombs".
"Show me the Braniffs"

IPFreely

Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:38 am

When you gotta go, you gotta go. These are the risks people take when they go outside.

Beardown91737

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:20 am

there are still not insignificant numbers of older models with the above "urinal".

Urinal? You mean the "Acoustic Microphone"?
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

nomadd22

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:46 am

The USAF 130s I rode in the 70s had those urinal ports. We were warned not to get too close.
Anon

mayor

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:42 am

Sometimes you have to watch it when dumping the lavs as occasionally, the guy doing it at the previous station might like to play a joke and put the "donut" back in and close the access and then dump the lav behind the donut. When it gets to your station and open the donut access all that crap, etc. comes flying out and if you're not quick on your feet, you might get a bath. This was especially bad on DC-9s as the access panel was underneath engine #1 and about eye level if you were standing on the platform on the lav truck. Seem many folks get a bath that way.

As far as the blue juice is concerned, I've seen plenty of the fill ports leak after the tank was filled......just a matter of how much and how long the flight was.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

neutrino

Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:29 am

Quoting nomadd22 (Reply 30):

That made me recall our loadmaster warning those whose "equipment" are more "extended" to bear in mind that being careless could result in either a little ecstasy or an excruciatingly painful experience.
On another vein, when our deployments Downunder settled into regularity, we began to incorporate the female support staff into the detachments. The 8-10 hour flights were a torture to them but they were always forewarned to ingest as little liquid as possible the day before and to pressure-relief themselves immediately prior to boarding. Holding back for half a day when the "reservoir" is filling up, amidst all that vibration of a prop troop/cargo carrier is no fun and the ladies were always the first to rush off the plane as soon as the doors opened at destination. And they hardly dared to take more than a few sips of water during the flights.

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:23 am

The leaking seal at the drain plug port is normally the culprit....with the vacuum type toilets this has reduced.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

apfpilot

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 31):
Sometimes you have to watch it when dumping the lavs as occasionally, the guy doing it at the previous station might like to play a joke and put the "donut" back in and close the access and then dump the lav behind the donut. When it gets to your station and open the donut access all that crap, etc. comes flying out and if you're not quick on your feet, you might get a bath. This was especially bad on DC-9s as the access panel was underneath engine #1 and about eye level if you were standing on the platform on the lav truck. Seem many folks get a bath that way.

Ah yes, the old booby trapped lav. That can happen on the Hawker 800s as well, I've never done it to anyone ( ) but I've almost had them dump on me. Key is to slowly release the donut, if anything leaks slam it shut and get the tool.

told to ensure that our bowels are empty as the aircraft have no S**ting facilities. It can only cater to liquid waste. But the urinal is just a funnel-like thingy directly crafted onto the body on the port side near the rear ramp.

relief tubes do still exist, however on some airplanes like the C525 CJ they had to be disabled as the dump port was located in a spot where the urine was causing wing corrosion.
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

zippyjet

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:00 pm

You may want to expand this to blue/green ice/snow in additon to yellow snow don't eat. You are welcome for this Public Service Announcement.    That rainbow colored ice/snow could be from a honeybucket cruising through the skies!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos