Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

marosbts
Topic Author

MyAustrian To Become Austrian Again

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Glad to see that the public uproar and the criticism of the new myAustrian house name on the aircraft has resulted in change of mind at the top office. Austrian is droppin the "my" and will yet again be only Austrian. The first aircraft which will be without the "my" will come out of the paintshop next weekend.

http://slovakaviation.sk/en/news/528-austrian-to-drop-myaustrian

Independence76

RE: MyAustrian To Become Austrian Again

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:04 pm

The reality is for a global airline in a marketplace of a hundred cultures, putting "my" in front of a corporate name doesn't just make it look more cheap, it's nonsensical to other cultures where collectivism is more common than individuality (which they do serve).

Basic international marketing.

Ideekay

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:07 pm

Good to see that they listen to their customers.
Now the race is on to get on one of these planes that still have the "my" titles

bluesky73

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:24 pm

Wunderbar   

Great news and really good to hear they have listened to the constructive feedback from aviation community and passengers.

Now for a grey (maybe darkish grey) belly  same shape as sky blue OS or maybe a curvy belly such as IndiGo but take rear curve to bottom of rear fuselage) - hope that makes sense?

FSDan

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:59 pm

So if more customers complain about dumbing down the livery, will they add some color back?  
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

by738

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:16 pm

not sure how this ever got through a designer brain storm session. Talk about blue sky thinking... 'My'....

777way

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:17 pm

Quoting FSDan (Reply 4):

It does happen but is rare, sometimes it goes in the wrong direction, maybe people in Japan wrote in to restore crane logo, I bet what you see isnt the result they were imagining.

Quoting bluesky73 (Reply 3):
Now for a grey (maybe darkish grey) belly  same shape as sky blue OS or maybe a curvy belly such as IndiGo but take rear curve to bottom of rear fuselage) - hope that makes sense?

Give an inch take a yard, I think its asking for too much.

aloges

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:32 pm

Is it going to be "Austrian" or "Ourstrian"?   
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

skipness1E

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:40 pm

There was no "maybe" about it in regards of the crane bird.
Air Transat did something similar with the bland logo with the writing which was coloured in massively afterwards  

This is great news, it just looked wrong. As for the lack of blue, well isn't the Austrian flag just red and white?

bluesky73

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:30 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 6):
Give an inch take a yard, I think its asking for too much.

No doubt it is asking too much, the goodbye to the "my" is great, but I think the dark grey (Lauda'ish) but less/lower curved painted belly could work and be easy to apply to aircraft already painted -photoshop anyone?   

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 8):
This is great news, it just looked wrong. As for the lack of blue, well isn't the Austrian flag just red and white?

Yes no blue in Austrian flag, I personally loved it with the red and but as from previous OS livery posts on A.net some folk really didn't get the sky blue.
Maybe the blue was the reflection on the belly from the blue Danube   Someone from the OS or Landor teams back then would probably give good reason for the light blue.

Overall I don't think it needed changing at all (or at least for another decade).
The sky blue OS livery has only around for only 11-12 years and still looks fresh, modern and stands out from the crowd, not many airlines have a light blue belly and engines.
Clearly OS management felt a revamp was necessary and no doubt paid people quite a bit for this and the cost of changing and removing the 'grey shadow arrow' from signage and buildings. Note A321 OE-LBC still has the grey arrow on tail/fuselage and the rest of the 'my' livery fleet have the grey arrow removed - since E195 OE-LWD was painted at BTS.
I'm sure LH hold the purse strings anyway but I'd rather have seen the money go towards a nice new NEO fleet (with sexy large sky blue engines  bigthumbsup 

[Edited 2016-01-09 14:58:53]

xiaotung

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:41 pm

myAustrian was the oddest branding I have ever seen. If the legal name is still Austrian why is their logo inconsistent with their legal name? And what did they expect people to call their airline and use it in a sentence? Did you fly myAustrian airline yesterday? How was your myAustrian flight?

Finally common sense prevails.

777way

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:47 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 8):

So you believe no Japnese or others wrote into JAL dsiliking the aroc of sun livery and asking them to restore crane logo expecting someting more creative than a white plane? we in Pakistan are still writing in to PIA asking them to restore the 1999 floral tail livey, maybe they might someday but with a green belly and current font, not what we expected or want.

dc9super80

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:03 am

Great that they reversed that silly name!

I sounded more like a new low cost startup and not suitable for a respected flag carrier like Austrian.

777way

Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:38 am

Why are they letting the aircraft currently being painted in Bratislava get the my bit when they have decided to drop it?

If we analyse it there might be a single templace with myAustrian etched out on it, the my bit uses black paint so they needent even paint that part.

N14AZ

Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:45 am

Quoting xiaotung (Reply 10):
myAustrian was the oddest branding I have ever seen

In deed. There was a time when everything was marketed as "my": myspace, mytravel, myship etc etc etc.... But this was years ago and I found it very odd that OS tried to use this my-thing in 2015....

Wonder if such design institutes have kind of a professional liability insurance. It was introduced, it is getting removed now, so it must have been a mistake....

RyanairGuru

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:46 am

myAustrian was the oddest branding I have ever seen.

I think that it is the product of somebody for whom English wasn't their first, or possibly their second, language. They thought that there was an implied secondary meaning that simply didn't exist. I don't mean to criticise them as I would no doubt equally stuff up if I tried to create an advert in Spanish, but I'm surprised that nobody else stopped to question it.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ua900

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:51 am

That's a welcome rollback. Maybe LH can be next and axe all the wings names Germanwings > Eurowings > Worldwings bla bla...

Speaking of cheap, airlines should get rid of "powered by", makes it sound like there's a AA Duracell battery somewhere on that plane that somehow keeps it all together, just like the duct tape on the wings.
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

lancelot07

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:31 am

myAustrian was the oddest branding I have ever seen.

It is good news that it will go !
My-something branding was in fashion 10-15 years ago, before the i-Something became popular.

aviationaware

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:40 am

Good news, now they only need to bring my favorite color back for the belly.

aw70

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:33 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 15):
I think that it is the product of somebody for whom English wasn't their first, or possibly their second, language. They thought that there was an implied secondary meaning that simply didn't exist. I don't mean to criticise them as I would no doubt equally stuff up if I tried to create an advert in Spanish, but I'm surprised that nobody else stopped to question it.

There is something about Austrian culture you should know in this regard. Speaking atrocious English is done with a positive gusto there: I never quite understood why, but in many cases the locals take some sort of perverse pride in mangling that poor language. The only sort of rational explanation I ever managed to come up with is that this might be some sort of sub-conscious revenge for having lost the second World War: "you might have defeated our Führer, but you cannot prevent us from distorting your language!".

And I'm not talking about people not being perfect in a second or third language they learn: we all struggle with foreign languages, and getting it right in any but our mother tongue. What I mean is a strange attitude I witnessed quite a number of times there: even if you point out in a really friendly and not patronising way that a particular sentence is, in fact, not correct English, people tend to just give you a strange look, and basically say something like "so, why the fuck should I care?". I have never experienced this sort of low-level hostility to foreign languages anywhere else.

As you might have guessed, despite the little flag displayed here on a.net, I am not really Austrian: rather a Brit, who spent many years living in that strange little country. That place has many positive sides: but the locals' attitude towards English grammar and vocabulary is not one of them.

This actually extends to "professional" translators as well: when he was still working as a newspaper editor in Vienna, my father frequently made good money by correcting the horrible elaborates of local translators. And this tradition has not stopped, either: recently, I came across an English-language brochure published by the offices of the Austrian prime minister that read like it had been copywritten by a third grader.

"my" Austrian fits right in, come to think of it.  

konrad

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:39 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 7):
Is it going to be "Austrian" or "Ourstrian"?

OStrian would do fine.

Quoting aviationaware (Reply 18):
Good news, now they only need to bring my favorite color back for the belly.

I'd rather have the blue/green cheatline at the windows.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Viktor Laszlo - Budapest Aviation Photography

SpaceshipDC10

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:40 pm

Quoting lancelot07 (Reply 17):
My-something branding was in fashion 10-15 years ago

When OS introduced the MyAustrian brand, it immediately reminded me of MyTravel Airways and MyTravel Lite.

Quoting ua900 (Reply 16):
Speaking of cheap, airlines should get rid of "powered by", makes it sound like there's a AA Duracell battery somewhere on that plane

Exactly.

aerokiwi

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:53 pm

But wait... isn't "My" and english term? So shouldn't it actually be in German? What's German for "my"? Meine?

Meine Austrian. Hmmmmm  

N415XJ

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Quoting aw70 (Reply 19):
I have never experienced this sort of low-level hostility to foreign languages anywhere else.

I hate to take the thread off topic (although there really isn't much more of substance that can be discussed about the livery update), but did you feel that this 'low-level hostility' extended to English speakers in general, or just to English grammar? I may have an opportunity to go to Austria soon, but I might think twice if I might be looked down upon there as an American who knows absolutely zero German of any variety.

Ty134A

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:00 pm

oh MYgod! finally!

Quoting N415XJ (Reply 23):
I hate to take the thread off topic (although there really isn't much more of substance that can be discussed about the livery update), but did you feel that this 'low-level hostility' extended to English speakers in general, or just to English grammar? I may have an opportunity to go to Austria soon, but I might think twice if I might be looked down upon there as an American who knows absolutely zero German of any variety.

oh no! don't bother!!!! you're welcome to visit austria any time, and everybody speaks english more or less! you need to understand the above statement under the aspect of a nation that has politicians not able of a single word in any foreign language, and not even mastering german! and this whole "my" thing feels the same... in this country in certain areas you will only be able to be successful with the right political connections, and this starts at a VERY low level with the right party membership, goes on via the unions up into management - the political system works the same way. our current prime minister is an insult even to pre schoolers, since they have a far better command in foreign languages than he has. on top he never worked in the private sector, never understood how the average person has to struggle...

and OS was once a state controlled airline, with the same structure (split between two parties). and in a globalized world it has become even harder for those kind of people... with fails turning up once in a while due to lack of basic skills of anything (the political side is fine though). now with OS being LH it might be better now, but the "my" thing just feels this way.

I might be looked down upon there as an American

owed to the splendid foreign policy of your country this is most probably anywhere in the world the case! anyhow, the democracy the allied forces brought to austria is a bit more stable than the one the us brought to i.e. iraq... so don't be afraid. the only dangers awaiting you are very tasty (but fat) food and lots of beer and schnaps, and the "my" on some OS planes! and if you have a bit of free time, send me a pm and i'll show you around great places to spot in VIE!
TU3/5,T20,IL8/6/W/9,I14,YK4/2,AN2/4,A26,A28,A38,A40,A81,SU9,L4T,L11,D1C,M11,M80/2/7,
AB4/6,318-321,313,332/3,342/3/5/6,712,703,722,732/3/4/5/G/8,741/L/2/3/4,752/3,763,
77E/W,J31,F50,F70,100,ATP,142/3,AR8/1,SF3,S20,D38,MIH,EM4,E75/90/95,AT7,DHT/3/4,CRJ/7/9

ua900

Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:58 pm

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 22):
rm? So shouldn't it actually be in German? What's German for "my"? Meine?

Meine Austrian. Hmmmmm  

Austrian is English too  

"Meine Österreichische" or something like that... Not too many Austrian domestic flights though, so there's definitely a role for English airline names or abbreviations (e.g. LOT) at the end of the day. There are many different flavors of funny if you want to be upbeat and modern, e.g. Kulula Flying 101 planes, some Hello Kitty boarding pass or a Shamu plane.

What you don't want is diluted branding. If you outsource a couple 343s and you can't paint them LH livery, fine, paint them *A livery, call it "Jump" internally and then make it look to the outside world like its mainline. Not ideal, but still better than outright Eurowings or another myairline.com
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

bluesky73

Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Austria and Vienna are beautiful, you must go. People are very hospitable, food and drink amazing, snitzels, apple strudel, Sacher torte to name but a few. Oh and Kaiser keiner- think that is how you spell it? Great variety of quality Austrian beers, wine and schnapps.

Quoting ua900 (Reply 16):
That's a welcome rollback. Maybe LH can be next and axe all the wings names Germanwings > Eurowings > Worldwings bla bla...

Speaking of cheap, airlines should get rid of "powered by", makes it sound like there's a AA Duracell battery somewhere on that plane that somehow keeps it all together, just like the duct tape on the wings.

Totally agree ua900, I've always respected LH and 5-10 years ago they had vision and their acquisitions were spot on and no doubt saved many European legacy carriers.
However the last couple of years it appears they have lost their way some what with identities, Eurowings, Germanwings etc. If someone can explain how all the LH subsideries compliment each other that would be great?

I wonder how much influence LH had on OS with this livery and rebrand? Did LH also get a big or final say with the 'my' rebrand. or does this fall solely with OS management?
Whilst on topic of liveries the current LX also is bland and looks like OS has joined them. The old swissair (although not the best) was clean, crisp and simple yet not too bland.

skipness1E

Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:50 pm

Quoting bluesky73 (Reply 9):
Overall I don't think it needed changing at all (or at least for another decade).

Isn't the issue here that Austrian Airlines is really Tyrolean rebranded and this is to signify the final step of the "Operated by Tyrolean Airlines" markings being removed last year?

Quoting 777way (Reply 11):
So you believe no Japnese or others wrote into JAL dsiliking the aroc of sun livery and asking them to restore crane logo expecting someting more creative than a white plane?

No, as per my post there was a huge backlash as the crane logo being dropped and a campaign to bring it back.

[Edited 2016-01-10 14:39:47]

Byrdluvs747

Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:58 pm

I said it was a stupid mistake back when it was announced. Adding "my", or "fly" to your branding smacks of an LCC.

My question is how much money was spent to implement this stupidity and how much will it cost to reverse it? Im sure the employees are happy with that kind of wasteful leadership as they take paycuts.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

bluesky73

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:26 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 27):
the issue here that Austrian Airlines is really Tyrolean rebranded and this is to signify the final step of the "Operated by Tyrolean Airines" markings being removed last year?

I believe your correct but removing "an operated by...." Is a lot cheaper than this OS poor attempt at this rebrand which leads to the question in previous post by byrdluvs747, how much was wasted on this and I'm sure the employees would love to know.

777way

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:28 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 27):

No, as per my post there was a huge backlash as the crane logo being dropped and a campaign to bring it back.

Isnt that what I'm saying?

skipness1E

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Quoting bluesky73 (Reply 29):
how much was wasted on this and I'm sure the employees would love to know.

Not much as they're keeping the livery minus two letter to remove from both sides of four-five aeroplanes. The my-austrian as an advertising theme might run on for a bit, however coming through Vienna last month, there was little evidence of the new branding at all.
Maybe, just maybe, we can give them credit for not doing the usual approach of digging their heels in regardless. The new livery (less the annoying two letters) is actually kinda sharp when you see it for real up close.

Quoting 777way (Reply 30):
Isnt that what I'm saying?

If you don't know what you are saying then I cannot help you  

aerokiwi

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:49 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 25):
Austrian is English too

Good point.

Quoting ua900 (Reply 25):
"Meine Österreichische"

Rolls off the tongue! Love it.

lancelot07

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:46 pm

Don't worry, you will not be looked upon from above, Americans are welcome guests and not hated in any way.
But prepare to speak slowly if necessary, and sometimes to hear an atrocious accent. Almost everybody has learned English in school, and afterwards had little practice in speaking with native English speakers.

777way

Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:02 am

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 31):

Ok I got it, there was no maybe but it was definite i.e a campaign to get crane back on.

[Edited 2016-01-10 16:06:21]

Viscount724

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:42 am

[img

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 28):
Adding "my", or "fly" to your branding smacks of an LCC.

It's been done before, long before the term LCC existed.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Parrick
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Schulman

N415XJ

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:23 am

Quoting lancelot07 (Reply 33):
Don't worry, you will not be looked upon from above,
Quoting Ty134A (Reply 24):
you're welcome to visit austria any time,

Thank you, guys. Yours is a beautiful country that I've been itching to visit for a long time, so it's good to know that as long as I avoid grammatical arguments I'll be alright! Also, I should warn you that if I do end up visiting I will most likely deplete the entire national supply of Mozartkugeln  

[Edited 2016-01-10 19:23:57]

marosbts
Topic Author

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:10 am

So, Austrian Airlines came now with an official lame excuse, saying, it was planned like that after all and that it was never intended to put the "my" on all aircraft. Rather than that they suggest, that it was a cunning marketing plan from the start to actually support their current marketing campaign.

Not goog Austrian, not good. It would be easier to admit that you bow to the public opinion. You have not been able to sell the "my" before, and you will not be able to sell this lame excuse now either...

debonair

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:36 am

Quoting marosbts (Thread starter):
Austrian is droppin the "my" and will yet again be only Austrian.

Will the name of the charter company changed as well or will it stay Austrian myHoliday?

N14AZ

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:12 pm

My oh my....  
I may have an opportunity to go to Austria soon, but I might think twice if I might be looked down upon there as an American who knows absolutely zero German of any variety.

I cannot speak for Austria but German is such a complicated language. I have never ever heard that someone, who doesn't know any German, will be looked down upon in Germany. It is actually a shame that we don't make more bilangual announcements in trains or other public transport facilities... It's sometimes even funny: a long German announcement covering each transfer option, delays etc. followed by an extremely brief announcement in (bad) English...

lancelot07

Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 39):
I cannot speak for Austria but German is such a complicated language.

German is not any easier here.   Actually, some local dialects are difficult to understand even by Austrians from other parts of the country.

777way

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Quoting marosbts (Reply 37):

Thank you for the information, pathetic of them.

N14AZ

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:32 pm

Quoting lancelot07 (Reply 40):
German is not any easier here.

Well, who knows. People in Vienna speak so slowly that they have more time to find the correct words  

Aquila3

Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:07 pm

German is not any easier here.

FUNNY JOKE MODE ON
Not only . The few German that I know is almost useless in Vienna. They like to speak a mixture of French (it makes so .... snob), translated French (what else are Erdapfel?), English (it's so ... modern) that makes my head turn.
A good German will be almost lost at a Viennese superrmarket , between Paradaiser, Karfiol and Topfen. Not to speak about local amenities like a Laufhause (hint: there is nobody jogging around there ). That's no dialect, is what you find in written, even in official stuff. And do not try to salute with a simple "Guten Tag!", you will be immediately considered a "Pifke"    (a German, that is).
Speak about a Nation that has not yet decided how to call itself. Many call their Country just "Austria", and even there is now an unofficial national anthem that says "I'm from Austria" . The official one is not even liked from the old ones, because they say the Germans have stolen them the "real one " (the current German Anthem). But I do not want to start another war.....   
FUNNY JOKE MODE OFF
Well done OS. I hope the blue belly will come back soon as well !
My salutes to all my Austrian friends at VIE! I hope they can afford me for another while   
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

ua900

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm

Quoting bluesky73 (Reply 26):
If someone can explain how all the LH subsideries compliment each other that would be great?

Old system: LH is for LH, DE is for LH myHoliday  

Then SR got into trouble...LH Italy went over about as well as Deutsche BA... LH didn't have a good strategy against the LCCs in short and medium haul nor did they have a solid DE replacement.

New System:

LH is for LH premium
4U/EW/EN/CL is for LH mostly non-premium
LX is for LX Premium
WK is for LX mostly non-premium
OS is for mostly non-premium, e.g. SE Europe + whatever was left int'l + really good Einspänner  
XQ was slated to become the next 4U but is now being slotted as a mid haul Jump / EW myHoliday  
On the miles and more periphery you have potential takeover targets, like SN and LO.

'low-level hostility' extended to English speakers in general, or just to English grammar

Strictly grammar:

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 39):
a long German announcement covering each transfer option, delays etc. followed by an extremely brief announcement in (bad) English...

English isn't that hard to learn and speak correctly, but when you're in a country that doesn't speak it every day as a primary language and the people in charge of translating signage and service announcements don't always speak it either, you end up with this bastardized Euro trash English. Quite a few local language speakers start thinking that's actually English and next thing you know you find yourself in a debate about the local language being wiped out / endangered by "English".   

some local dialects are difficult to understand even by Austrians from other parts of the country.

I was wondering why they're asking whether I'm a "Landsmann"  
Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 43):
But I do not want to start another war.....

There was a peace treaty followed by a plebiscite that didn't get recognized followed by chaos and a coup followed by a dictatorship followed by someone who had left the country returning followed by a questionable plebiscite, but yes.

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 43):
local amenities like a Laufhause

Haha, that's a local amenity in pretty much every country, the only thing that changes is the format  

LTU932

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:31 pm

This whole myAustrian thing reminds me of the DE rebranding fiasco that was Thomas Cook powered by Condor. Public outrage forced DE to be renamed back into Condor Flugdienst, even reintroducing the old DE logo on the nose and the winglet in recent years.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

ua900

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:02 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 45):
This whole myAustrian thing reminds me of the DE rebranding fiasco that was Thomas Cook powered by Condor. Public outrage forced DE to be renamed back into Condor Flugdienst, even reintroducing the old DE logo on the nose and the winglet in recent years.

Could have been worse: Hapag-Lloyd with www.hapagfly.com + Hapag-Lloyd c/s, hlx.com c/s without any mention of Hapag-Lloyd, Hapagfly.com + TUI c/s

bluesky73

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:18 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 44):

Quoting bluesky73 (Reply 26):
If someone can explain how all the LH subsideries compliment each other that would be great?

Old system: LH is for LH, DE is for LH myHoliday  

Then SR got into trouble...LH Italy went over about as well as Deutsche BA... LH didn't have a good strategy against the LCCs in short and medium haul nor did they have a solid DE replacement.

New System:

LH is for LH premium
4U/EW/EN/CL is for LH mostly non-premium
LX is for LX Premium
WK is for LX mostly non-premium
OS is for mostly non-premium, e.g. SE Europe + whatever was left int'l + really good Einspänner  
XQ was slated to become the next 4U but is now being slotted as a mid haul Jump / EW myHoliday  
On the miles and more periphery you have potential takeover targets, like SN and LO.

Wow thanks ua900, I have attempted German lessons in the past but all these codes are clearly advanced German/Austrian and makes my head hurt  

Byrdluvs747

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:26 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 35):
It's been done before, long before the term LCC existed.

Yes, but we're no longer in the 1950's or 60's.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

ua900

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:07 am

Quoting bluesky73 (Reply 47):
all these codes

Agreed, too many codes. Whatever happened to the old days when a box contained exactly what was on the picture.

EU laws and labor laws in general have resulted in more airlines being started / discontinued than actual market performance. Start a new airline, save a buck. Outsource ground handling, save a buck. Unbundle seats, meals and baggage, save a buck. Put a subcontractor behind the LH F check in counter, save a buck.

Airlines like AA, DL and UA don't have any qualms about having 3-4 cabins within the same plane staffed by mainline crew in mainline livery, offering something for everyone, F, C, Y+, regular Y and now even Y-

Not sure why EU carriers can't seem to do that, and it's more than just sector length otherwise Edelweiss, myHoliday and Jump simply wouldn't exist. I understand that there are cost savings out there, but awarding the job to a subcontractor of a subcontractor bears a lot more risk for the brand in the long run than the LLCs and the ME3 combined.

[Edited 2016-01-11 16:09:15]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos