ajsljet45
Topic Author

Air Europa To Start NYC - Santo Domingo

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:49 am

Not sure if this has been posted already...seems like UX wants to start NYC - Santo Domingo flights.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/tou...ounces-Santo-Domingo-NY-flight-EFE

EddieDude

RE: Air Europa To Start NYC - Santo Domingo

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:07 am

So from the article, it is not entirely clear if Globalia/Air Europa are interested in setting up an airline in Dominican Republic, or if the plan is for UX to operate JFK-SDQ. On the one hand, the article contains references to UX, so it seems this would simply be a new fifth freedom route being served by Air Europa. On the other hand, there is a paragaph where it says "...the new carrier's start of operations this year...", which suggests that a new airline is being planned. Any info from Spanish A.netters?

Finally, the picture is of an Air Europe 752 or 763. It has nothing to do with Air Europa.
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).

lesfalls

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:24 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 1):

It is not the first time UX made an announcement like this. They want to start MIA-HAV but they are still waiting on approval for this route.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

MAH4546

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:27 am

Quoting Lesfalls (Reply 2):
They want to start MIA-HAV but they are still waiting on approval for this route.

They are not waiting on anything. Air Europe has not applied for the route, it has simply signaled a desire to maybe fly it someday in the future.

UX has flown between the U.S. and the Dominican Republic, MAD-MIA-PUJ 3x a week in 2014.
a.

lesfalls

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:37 am

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 3):

Sorry my mistake. They operated this service to PUJ from MIA only in 2014?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

ajsljet45
Topic Author

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:51 am

Interestingly enough, as per flightaware it seems like UX has been flying JFK - SDQ for the past couple days. Are these charters? Seasonal?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...6/history/20160109/2050Z/KJFK/MDSD

AR385

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:17 am

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 3):
They are not waiting on anything. Air Europe has not applied for the route, it has simply signaled a desire to maybe fly it someday in the future.

I won´t be so pedant as to use the typical a.net police word: "source?"  

However, from the article I just read I don´t see anything confusing or vague. It does read exactly as if they were starting the "SDQ-NYC." Maybe it´s poorly written or translated?

flyCMH

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:28 am

Quoting ajsljet45 (Reply 5):
Interestingly enough, as per flightaware it seems like UX has been flying JFK - SDQ for the past couple days. Are these charters? Seasonal?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...6/history/20160109/2050Z/KJFK/MDSD

Seasonal. They did it 2-3x weekly last year during the Christmas season as well: MAD-JFK-SDQ-JFK-MAD.

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:35 am

Quoting flyCMH (Reply 7):
Seasonal. They did it 2-3x weekly last year during the Christmas season as well: MAD-JFK-SDQ-JFK-MAD.

Yikes...disaster. Is someone buying all the seats or subsidizing it?
E pur si muove -Galileo

EddieDude

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 6):
from the article I just read I don´t see anything confusing or vague.

Well, read again. It says:

1. "... announced the expansion of the airline Air Europa in Dominican Republic and a new Santo Domingo-New York route starting this year...". This implies UX will be flying this sector.

2. "... announced the new carrier's start of operations this year, adding that some 80 Dominican cabin attendants have already been contracted...". This implies they are setting an all-new company. The confusion stems from the use of the word "new". And no, UX is not "new" to the Dominican Republic. They already fly to SDQ from MAD nonstop.

So, is it confusing or not?
Upcoming flights:

MAH4546

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:23 pm

[quote=AR385,reply=6]Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 3):

I am talking about MIA-HAV, not JFK-SDQ. Air Europe doesn't need to apply for JFK-SDQ.
a.

AR385

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 9):
1. "... announced the expansion of the airline Air Europa in Dominican Republic and a new Santo Domingo-New York route starting this year...". This implies UX will be flying this sector.

Well, the above is not confusing per se. If UX is expanding in the DR well then that is what they are doing. The other part about the Santo Domingo-New York route is pretty plain.

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 9):
2. "... announced the new carrier's start of operations this year, adding that some 80 Dominican cabin attendants have already been contracted...". This implies they are setting an all-new company. The confusion stems from the use of the word "new". And no, UX is not "new" to the Dominican Republic. They already fly to SDQ from MAD nonstop.

This part is indeed strange. But I think it is a mistake in translation. I believe in Spanish it might have been written as: "Las nuevas operaciones de la aerolínea empezarán éste año". Unfortunately the translation came out just as it reads. Otherwise it is a poorly written article that forgot to mention that UX is launching a new carrier in the DR. SInce we don´t know about that, I suppose the mistake occurred when translating. As for the 80 FAs hired it could be indeed because of a new airline, or simple that they are opening a SDQ cabin crew base for their Caribbean/MIA/ ops. Makes sense and must be cheaper than hiring 80 Spanish cabin crew.

So, you are right. It is confusing.

SCQ83

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:50 pm

Air Europa is a shame of a company, ruled in a complete unprofessional and despotic way. I am not going to say what I wish for them.

The last thing is that Air Europa Express (their new company to pay less) has charged EUR 60 to schedule interviews, which obviously goes against Spanish law.

http://www.elmundo.es/economia/2016/...1/11/5693ef13268e3eaa658b4674.html

spinkid

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 10):

I am talking about MIA-HAV, not JFK-SDQ. Air Europe doesn't need to apply for JFK-SDQ.

Wouldn't they need authority for both?

I don't see how a Spanish (European) carrier can fly to another country in North America without 5th Freedom rights.

Norwegian (European) is only able to fly to Guadalupe and FDF from the U.S. because they are French Territories.

Hiring Dominican flight attendants signals it might be a sub carrier somehow, based in the DR.

Or am I missing something

Sparrow787

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:53 pm

If this happens I personally don't know for how long they will remain in this route. UX already travels to SDQ from MAD, so I don't see anyone wantingo to do MAD-JFK-SDQ, so that means that the European crowd is out of the picture. Also B6 and DL have such a strong presence on that route and believe me the Dominican crowd loves both of these carriers. Also UA goes to SDQ from across the river as well, what can they offer to travelers from NYC that current carriers can't. Lastly, PAWA Dominicana wants to start up a SDQ-JFK route (they bought a used 752), how will they woo the Dominican and leisure travelers?

guyanam

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:12 am

Quoting Sparrow787 (Reply 14):

These are my points exactly. Maybe PAWA might get some market share, as it is a Dominican carrier, so nationalism kicks in,

But why would any one us UX, unless they are much cheaper? I therefore assume that they will be pseudo charters, tied to hotels owned by a related company.

MAH4546

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:38 am

Quoting spinkid (Reply 13):

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 10):

Wouldn't they need authority for both?

I don't see how a Spanish (European) carrier can fly to another country in North America without 5th Freedom rights.

Norwegian (European) is only able to fly to Guadalupe and FDF from the U.S. because they are French Territories.

Hiring Dominican flight attendants signals it might be a sub carrier somehow, based in the DR.

Or am I missing something

You are missing something: Air Europa has traffic rights between the U.S. and the Domincan Republic, as do many foreign carriers.

The Norwegian example is not analogous. Norwegian is allowed to fly OSL-JFK-SDQ. It can't fly just JFK-SDQ by itself. It can fly JFK-FDF by itself because FDF is in the EU.

Another example is Air France. Air France has an A320 that flies MIA-PAP-FDF daily. It can fly this route only because it originates/terminates at FDF. Air Framce could not fly MIA-PAP. It could fly CDG-MIA-PAP.
a.

Sparrow787

Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:01 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 15):

We will have to see how this plays out, but I don't know if it will work. Another question I have, will UX hire cabin crews from the US and have them based in JFK like DY does, or will this be a crew with a layover in NY and then heading down to the DR?

EddieDude

Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:06 pm

Quoting Sparrow787 (Reply 17):
will UX hire cabin crews from the US and have them based in JFK like DY does, or will this be a crew with a layover in NY and then heading down to the DR?

The article says flight attendants are going to be hired or are being hired in the Dominican Republic, so this implies they would be SDQ-based and they would have to spend a night in New York after every flight.
Upcoming flights:

guyanam

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 18):

Given that the flights will run MAD JFK SDQ then the DR attendants will have to over night in NYC. Also the flights will most likely be less than daily, so that gets interesting.

spinkid

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:31 pm

Quoting Sparrow787 (Reply 17):
You are missing something: Air Europa has traffic rights between the U.S. and the Domincan Republic, as do many foreign carriers.

The Norwegian example is not analogous. Norwegian is allowed to fly OSL-JFK-SDQ. It can't fly just JFK-SDQ by itself. It can fly JFK-FDF by itself because FDF is in the EU.

Another example is Air France. Air France has an A320 that flies MIA-PAP-FDF daily. It can fly this route only because it originates/terminates at FDF. Air Framce could not fly MIA-PAP. It could fly CDG-MIA-PAP.

Ahhh, I got it now. They are basically labeling it a tag on, like the way carriers often go JFK-YUL or JFK-YYZ or CA and YYZ-JFK.

Its different that they will be indeed be marketing this flight to a JFK and SDQ crowd. If the price is right you can sell a lot of packages to warm weather spots from the NE in winter. P2P traffic and VFR crowd mostly prefer jetBlue, Delta and even AA.

EddieDude

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:05 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 19):
so that gets interesting.

i.e., not very efficient and costly!
Upcoming flights:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos