clickhappy
Topic Author

Boeing Intermodal Cargo Aircraft Patent

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:31 am

This looks pretty cool:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/flig...go-plane-move-shipping-containers/

Basically the plane drops down on the containers. I wonder if the weight of a standard container would create the need for lighter materials.

ZaphodHarkonnen

RE: Boeing Intermodal Cargo Aircraft Patent

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:40 am

Meh, yet another mere idea being patented. Would be impressed if they even built one.

Biggest problems I see are the strength of the airframe and twistlocks. If this thing hits heavy turbulence what's the chance of containers breaking free? It's fairly common for container ships to lose containers in storms. The other big problem is going to be weight. ISO intermodal containers are not light in the context of aircraft. And what about pressurization/temperature? I'm sure shippers would be pissed if their fancy casks of wine froze and shattered because of the cold. So that means it still has to regulate the cargo compartment.

I really wish things would change so that you actually had to make a reasonable effort to construct the stuff companies and people patent.

Bongodog1964

Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:18 am

Quoting ZaphodHarkonnen (Reply 1):

Meh, yet another mere idea being patented. Would be impressed if they even built one.

Biggest problems I see are the strength of the airframe and twistlocks. If this thing hits heavy turbulence what's the chance of containers breaking free? It's fairly common for container ships to lose containers in storms. The other big problem is going to be weight. ISO intermodal containers are not light in the context of aircraft. And what about pressurization/temperature? I'm sure shippers would be pissed if their fancy casks of wine froze and shattered because of the cold. So that means it still has to regulate the cargo compartment.

I really wish things would change so that you actually had to make a reasonable effort to construct the stuff companies and people patent.

20' shipping containers weigh in at about 2.25 tonnes, that in itself would stop the idea in its tracks.

I've seen mock ups of a Sikorsky skycrane lifting a 20' shipping container, so what's different enough with this to make it worthwhile registering a patent ? If the idea was feasible any competitor could quickly point out that it was an old idea.

PanHAM

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:59 am

There was a thread about that not too Long ago. The intermodal use of 20' Containers has been tried in the 1970s and the pioneer was Seaboard World. They even named their 747 freighters
"Seaboard Containerships". Not too much of a success, the Invention did not catch on.

Still, " sea-air traffic " became popular afterwards but the sea Containers were broken down at the Gateways (YVR/SFO/LAX and DXB) and the shipments, usually bales and cartons of textiles were reloaded into ULDs.

Interesting Thing is, the CEO's of LHCargo and hapag Lloyd ocean shipping will meet this Thirsday at the Hapag Lloyd HQ in Hamburg. Which confirms that sea/air is not dead yet.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

WIederling

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:22 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 3):

20' Boxes are sealed i.e. the box provides protection from the environment.
ULDs in comparison just provide a contained volume.
Murphy is an optimist

PanHAM

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:35 am

20', 40' and 40'HC boxes are usually stacked on deck of ships, even under deck stowage may result in direct contact with salt water.

Shippers are well advised, to consider that fact when selecting the packing material for their goods.

ULD is a General term for all sorts for loading devices. That goes from 125" to 10'. 20' and 40' flats, to LD/AKH lower deck Containers and main deck Containers. The latter are closed and sealed for Transport as well, while the flats will be build up and sealed by a layer of plastic which is therefater covered with a tarpaulin.

We don't want damages and claims on transport, don't we?

Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

aerorobnz

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:55 am

Thunderbird 2 came first anyway... 
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

litz

Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:22 pm

Shipping containers are tough little boxes, but they are not indestructible.

A lot of them that fall off of ships float for a long time; that's a pretty good seal.

However, the ones that washed off of El Faro when it sank in a hurricane ... those washed up on the shores of Bermuda and were basically shredded into pieces.

In the world of airplanes where everything is light light light, and you care about shaving off the last excess ounce of weight ... I can't see a system where you sacrifice 2-3 tons of weight to the container as ever being viable.

Only possible exception would be if you can bill for the weight of the container as freight.

In which case ... who in their right mind would ship anything that method?

Fact is ... in today's when it absolutely positively has to get there, you absolutely positively let FedEx handle it.

Prost

Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:56 pm

That video was priceless.

'You simply line up the containers on the RUNWAY and the plane squats over them, and off you go'.

PanHAM

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:49 am

It's a nice Invention and new materials that are light and sturdy at the same time might help in the Realisation.

However, another aspect has to be taken into account, security. A physical inspection of the Contents would cost more than a re-packing the box Contents from sea Container to aircraft ULD.

As said, nice thought but not reality prrof.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

neutrino

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:21 am

Quoting Prost (Reply 8):

That video was priceless.
'You simply line up the containers on the RUNWAY and the plane squats over them, and off you go'.

Right, let the runway have its well-deserved rest for a few long hours while the logistics guys work on prepping the containers. The creatives who put up the video have no idea of how airports work. The editor is also at fault for not checking with the relevant consultants which an established mag like PopMec should have on hand.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 9):

It's a nice Invention and new materials that are light and sturdy at the same time might help in the Realisation.

Perhaps Durasteel can cut it. Not this http://www.promat-durasteel.co.uk/ or this http://www.durasteel.net/ but the ones from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.  
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

LifelinerOne

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:55 am

The idea reminded me of this:

http://orig08.deviantart.net/e76a/f/2015/080/2/e/thunderbird_2___side_profiles_by_haryopanji-d8mlsaq.png

Thunderbirds are go!

Cheers!   
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

PanHAM

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:06 am

Quoting neutrino (Reply 10):
Perhaps Durasteel can cut it. Not this http://www.promat-durasteel.co.uk/ or this http://www.durasteel.net/ but the ones from a long

The emphasis was on "might", but logistics People make it possible meven if it is impossible. A light built container can alway be loaded "on top" and an aircraft can taxi to the cargo Apron.

These are not the pbstacles. The biggest obstacle for such an aircraft is "viability" which makes it suitable for Military ops only. Look at the commercial sales of the Hercules ovetr 50 years. and you get the approximate number of sales for such an aircraft outside Military purposes.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Campbell30177

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:46 am

Lots of good comments on my invention, thanks.
The containers are standard 40ft size, but can be anything that can pass the standard container inspection. The company that owns the airplane will probably charge a per container fee, with some smaller per pound fee. For the express freight business, I expect to rarely hit the max cargo weight. People who pay high prices for urgent shipment are not likely to be sending bulk materials.
Speed of unloading and loading is the key feature. That and being twice the weight of the 777-9 that I am currently working on. Note that the Patent drawings show 4 MLG struts of 777 triaxle trucks.

Lowell B. Campbell, PE

airzona11

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:48 am

Quoting Campbell30177 (Reply 13):
Lots of good comments on my invention, thanks.

Getting some awesome airtime! Great video and animation. I spent sometime working in the BizDev capacity with a venture focused on fix/spin wing UAVs to take individual containers (in most cases smaller) in a VTOL capacity.

The logistics space is always fun to watch, necessity (lower cost, demand, flexibility etc) is always driving new concepts and ideas!

As mentioned above, there are most certainly are military and civlil use cases. Think FEMA (Hurricane Katrina) and being able to get those trailers into most needed areas as quickly as possible.

prebennorholm

Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:24 am

Quoting ZaphodHarkonnen (Reply 1):
I'm sure shippers would be pissed if their fancy casks of wine froze and shattered because of the col

Ha-ha-ha! Icelandair will sure buy a fleet of those monsters for export of frozen fish.   
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

747400sp

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:25 am

When I drove tractor trailers, I spoke to a driver who to used pull containers from Long Beach to Phoenix for Knight Transportation, and he told me that the container are made of pure steel, so this plane will need to be very strong, if it going to do this job.

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:39 am

How many containers can you fit in a C5 or An124? Can you stack them?

This seems more like a scaled composites aircraft. Like their monster plane that launches rockets that's made out of 2 747s.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Campbell30177

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:03 am

I would hope this might be able to be used as White Knight 3.
This airplane is 2x the weight of a 777X, and the fuselage is basically an empty truss covered by an aerodynamic fairing, so really not similar to C-5 or An124. More like Sikorsky SkyCrane for being rudimentary. Without me being specific, lets assume the containers can average 50% of max weight allowed on the road without an overweight permit.

Lowell B. Campbell
Inventor on Boeing Patent
Boeing Patent US9205910

DocLightning

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:24 am

Quoting Prost (Reply 8):

I thought that was pretty hilarious, too. And the plane just backs right over them with no spotter and no tug and no assistance.   

I think it's an interesting idea. Glad to see the inventor is one of us and people at Boeing are reading A.net.  

Certainly, the weight of a standard shipping container has got to be problematic. The other thing I'd be concerned about would be the wingspan needed. This is an A380+ sized aircraft and it's not easy to get much bigger than that.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PanHAM

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:13 am

Nice joke but totally impossible, not only commercially but physically as well.

Counting about 40 x 40'boxes hanging uner that aircraft means, that the tare weight alone would be more than 120 kg. Light weight Containers would not Change the Basics too much.

But even if, where's the unique selling Point? Can't be time, a 40 box is unloaded or loaded in lesslittle time. Emirates manages to achieve Transit times ship/aircraft for sea-air cargo of 6 hours. You could shave off may be 2 hours by suing this "Invention".

Which kills it comercially and we haven't even spoken about aerodynamics , safety etc.

[Edited 2016-01-27 23:58:16]
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

litz

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:39 pm

A 40ft steel container weighs almost 9,000 lbs ...

Even using highly lightweight materials (which, of course, are also much more expensive), I couldn't see that coming down all that much ... maybe pie-in-the-sky of 50% reduction?

Campbell30177

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:24 am

This airplane is for express cargo, not bulk cargo. I invite someone with experience to let me know how often highway trucks reach their 80,000# maximum weight with time sensitive deliveries? The MTOW for this airplane is between 1 to 2 million pounds; world's largest airplane; somewhat bigger than Anatov Maya.

PanHAM

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:36 am

Quoting Campbell30177 (Reply 22):
This airplane is for express cargo, not bulk cargo. I invite someone with experience to let me know how often highway trucks

Tell me two City pairs that warrants enough load to fill 40 x 40' boxes with "express cargo. Express cargo relies on a sophisticated sorting System at places called "hub".

Except for possibly a Military application, there is no use for such an aircraft. The tare weight of the boxes already kills the economics. Lifting up more than 100 tons dead weight before the first Revenue Kilo is ridiculous.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Campbell30177

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:15 pm

As shown in the Patent, Megafreighter carries 18 40ft containers. I envisioned the airplane flying from un-crowded airports in China, perhaps with military length runways, to a place like Castle AFB in Atwater, CA. I envisioned 18 trucks from 18 different nearby freight hubs showing up at the airport at the same time and having their containers weighed and stacked in a row, then those same 18 trucks would take the newly delivered 18 containers to 18 different hubs (Fresno, LA, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, plus Walmart DC locations like Redding) and to the Railroad intermodal facility nearest the tracks that go next to Castle AFB.
This is not something for the existing status quo; this is intended to meet a disruptive market demand for inexpensive 3-day international shipments. Overnight would still be on 747-8f. And Bulk would still be on ships and standard railroad.

PanHAM

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:09 am

Quoting Campbell30177 (Reply 25):
This is not something for the existing status quo; this is intended to meet a disruptive market demand for inexpensive 3-day international shipments. Overnight would still be on 747-8f. And Bulk would still be on ships and standard railroad

LOL, do your maths and you will see that this will never work commercially. . Sorry to spoil your ideas, but 18 Containers flown into an AFB and returned to China loaded (with what?) .

Biut not only your calculation is way off , your industry Terms are as well. A disruptive market can be served by charters or free space in scheduled freight and passenger Services. Off loading a freighter does not take miuch longer and customs can be pre-cleared. The "idea", or patent discussed here simply has not have a Business case.

BTW "bulk" is whatever does not fit into Standard Containers.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Ruscoe

Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:50 pm

A thought did come to mind, that when the first full size BWB is designed, it could allow 40' container size pallets to be loaded. I understand the counter arguments, but these could be aircraft only, using light and not very strong containers, and be able to move them with the same cranes, and use the same trucks as standard 40' containers.
These containers would probably never go on a ship and never be stacked on top of each other.

Ruscoe

PanHAM

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:46 am

Still, where's the Beef? You can load and offload any currently available Standard ULD in a Standard truck equipped with roller beds, as quick and probably much easier than loading/offloading from that so called aircfraft

There simply is no Commercial / Business case for this Thing. It does not save toime, it is more expensive , it would, at best be a niche Operation, in short, it does not make sense.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Campbell30177

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:31 am

Perhaps someone with some years in the special air freight business could shed some light on this. Many years ago, I was waiting for a 2000hp MTU Diesel engine from Germany. Briefly, it had to be shipped by air because of the project schedule. So it came to SFO in a 747. It took 3 days to get the right equipment to remove it from the 747 without damaging the floor beams, then just 2 hours to drive it from SFO to the city where we fabricated enclosed gensets.

I figure the stuff being shipped would be things like one-of-a-kind collector sports cars, awkward industrial equipment, and other things that cannot be put into the fwd cargo bay of a scheduled passenger plane, and are sufficiently large that they would not fit into a 747-8f, but are needed urgently because of inflexible schedule pressure. (note that when schedule rules, the cost and weight are not considered)

The return flight from USA is a problem; I figure the container ships must be showing a lot of freeboard going West i.e. the topdeck containers are all empty.

The question is if there is enough oversize market to justify making an airplane. Antonov had a hard time of it.

PanHAM

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:29 am

In order to answer your question I would Need to know the weight of the engine and the dimensions in centimeters. If it was loaded into a 74F it can be off-loaded as well, provided the Airport has the right Equipment and the skilled personell to do that.

I never heard about a case where a 74F was blocked for three days because the cargo could not be offloaded.

There is ample caüpacity available for urgent freight and when it Comes to Special dimensions, heavy weights etc the An124 is a niche product that is available upon request. Customs clearance takes time but if the Equipment is positioned at the loading7unloading Airport properly planned the loading/off-loading procedure of outsize freight should not take more than a few hours.

The assumption in this patent is that outsize cargo would fit into a 40' box. That's wrong, whatever fits into a Standard Container is regualar sized cargo., Which means that this patent would not solve the Problem of outsize freight. The Antonov does

Same goes for the 748I The doors of the regular available large freighters are larger than the doors of a Standard box and the ULD's offer more flexibility.

The Boeing patent is commercially not viable, maybe it has a Business case for Military use but I rather believe that this is like flogging a dead horse.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Campbell30177

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:23 am

I wrote this in a different blog: "...maybe for a manufacturing company there is a need to frequently ship large, oversize objects? This airplane could carry two special 9-wide containers that are 72ft*8.5ft*40ft quickly. It can land at any major airport, but I would expect it would be most likely used at the less crowded airports favored by companies like UPS and DHL."
As an engineer, I would not design irreducible parts that are 72'x40' because there is no realistic way to transport something that size. But if there was a way, can anyone think of anything that might be better as one unit rather than having to be field assembled?

PanHAM, you use the word: "commercially viable" -- that is a tough one in this worldwide downturn. I have a hard time thinking of any significantly new airplane, train, bridge, skyscraper, or automobile that I would bet my own money on, or even one that I would give more than 50% chance of a net positive payback.

PanHAM

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:23 am

Things which are not commercially viable might be useful for the national economics. Streets and Highways don’t make money but without the GNP could not be produced. Same goes for Airports. The large ones make money, some really a lot of money but the majority are local and regional infrastructure. Same goes for train stations

Planes make money as long as there is a business case. They might not make money for the OMEs but they do for the Operators, otherwise they would not fly. For this particular design I have argued commercially, I haven't seen any post so far that questions the aerodynamics. A 40' box is designed to withstand the elements of the sea to a certain degree but what about the forces in the air at 30K feet and 800 km speed? I believe that this niche will be covered for a long time by the Antonovs and even the Il76 and the 747 will be playing a role here as well for the next 20 years at least. Whatever does not fit into these aircraft will simply not fly. May be in the distant future a wings only aircraft will succeed the current heavies and super heavies, for both passenger and cargo. This design here will not have a chance to succeed. That’s my opinion and I base that on 5 decades of experience in international freight forwarding
PanHAM
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

rwessel

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:46 am

Quoting Campbell30177 (Reply 31):
As an engineer, I would not design irreducible parts that are 72'x40' because there is no realistic way to transport something that size. But if there was a way, can anyone think of anything that might be better as one unit rather than having to be field assembled?

While you'd never ship by air, you certainly see pre-cast bridge trusses and the like longer than that - 100ft+ is not uncommon. Although you never seen anything that's anywhere near that wide at the same time shipped long distances.

The Saturn V first stage (S-IC) was some 138ft long and 33ft wide, and was shipped on a special barge from New Orleans to KSC. The second stage (S-II) was a bit shorter (82ft), and built in California, also shipped via barge.

PanHAM

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:54 am

Outsized and heavy loads are common day to day Business. Wind power Generators and their 200 meter high pylons (usually in 3 segments ) are an example. There are ships that can load whole Drilling platforms.

Airfreight is limited in size and in weight, IIRC the heaviest Piece of airfreight was Close to 140 tons in weights and just about fitted through the nose of the An225. It only partially filled the space of the aircraft which in turn made it difficult to distribute the weight and secure the cargo.

Outsize and heavy loads are the most interesting Jobs in freight forwarding, regardless of the mode of Transport. Space Missiles went by Train as well BTW and there was an accident in Mississippi once.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

flyDTW1992

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:35 pm

Quoting Campbell30177 (Reply 29):
I figure the stuff being shipped would be things like one-of-a-kind collector sports cars, awkward industrial equipment, and other things that cannot be put into the fwd cargo bay of a scheduled passenger plane, and are sufficiently large that they would not fit into a 747-8f, but are needed urgently because of inflexible schedule pressure. (note that when schedule rules, the cost and weight are not considered)

There's not much that needs to be shipped by air that can't fit on a 747F. And just about anything that doesn't will fit on an Antonov (124 or 225), or if it's light and awkward, a guppy or beluga type aircraft. Personally I don't see any sort of market for this concept, but hey, you never know what kind of needs the industry will have down the road that sound crazy now.
Now you're flying smart

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos