YVRLTN
Topic Author

Why Did The BAC 1-11 End Up In Nigeria?

Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:32 am

Many BAC 1-11's ended their careers in Nigeria and at one time in the 90's there were probably dozens there in some state of air worthiness or other until the blanket ban due to a couple of crashes.

I know its an extremely tough airliner, just wondering why it was so popular in Nigeria at the end of its life?

As to the ban, I am not sure any of the crashes were proved to be specifically a fault in the 1-11 itself, just a knee jerk reaction - did it get an unfair rap here and untimely demise?
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Viscount724

RE: Why Did The BAC 1-11 End Up In Nigeria?

Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:41 am

Probably mainly because they were cheap due to limited demand for used 1-11s from carriers with bigger aircraft budgets.

Their very loud R-R Spey engines may also have been a factor. Noise regulations in Africa were no doubt less restrictive after older aircraft began requiring expensive hushkits to continue operating in Europe and various other parts of the world. Even with hushkits the 1-11 was still very loud.

col

Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:16 am

In those days the Nigerians appreciated quality.  

atct

Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:42 pm

The Bac 1-11 is the premier aircraft for long lost family royalty.
Trikes are for kids!

georgiabill

Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Another plane that wound up flying for many airlines in Nigeria was the Dc-9-30 family of aircraft. Perfect aircraft as was BAC 1-11 to help develop routes to airports lacking modern infrastructure. With that being said I think the YAK-40 would have been another plane well suited to help develop routes in Nigeria and other developing countries.

EMAman

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:43 pm

I cant believe it has been 25 years now since the 1-11 was a regular visitor at BHX, never got to fly on one though.

I guess they ended up in Nigeria as they were sold cheaply and they met the demands of big growth and development there in the 1990's / 2000's.

The 1-11 was a very dated aircraft and the lack of modern equipment and flight protection laws/FBW etc will certainly have contributed to it having a higher rate of accident in later years than similar aircraft.

Birdwatching

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:52 pm

I have recently invested in a project in Nigeria to make a 1-11 airworthy again for domestic routes. It was probably the best deal I made in my entire life, I wired them about $5000 and in the end they will repay me over a million. The aviation minister contacted me specifically because of my many years of activity on this forum and others. I'll let you know when I get more news on the project and my investment.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

cougar15

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:08 pm

it was too noisy, nobody wanted them in the EU anymore . I use to work at CGN in those days when the daily Ford 1-11 rolled up! That Thing was hushkitted, not that it did any good. I guess Nigeria didnt care about Chapter 2 or 3 compliance .....
some you lose, others you can´t win!

MD80Nut

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:11 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 6):

So did I! Except they promised me 10 million for my $ 10,000.00. However, the Former Government Official's nephew hasn't answered my requests for an update on my investment in well over a year. Should I be concerned?  

Cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

Birdwatching

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:29 pm

Quoting MD80Nut (Reply 8):
hasn't answered my requests for an update on my investment in well over a year. Should I be concerned?

Don't worry the same thing happened to me, you just have to send another $1000 or so and he'll email you another update. Forget about that guy Ogoni Abukam from that first email, he is dead I think after that motorcycle accident Ogbomosho wrote about. Keep mailing or calling one of the two brothers from the air force, they are probably the most competent people in the project.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

N14AZ

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:53 pm

One 1-11 even came back to Europe: 5N-SEO of Chrome Air, still stored in OTP.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5228/5613539333_c12442b46d_o.jpgP1030851a by N14AZ, auf Flickr

MD80Nut

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:05 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 9):

Thanks! I just sent them $ 2,000.00 to cover the next two updates. I left one of the brothers in the air force a message, I should be hearing back from him soon.

Thanks, I need to be more patient and trusting.

Cheers, Ralph

Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

YVRLTN
Topic Author

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:39 am

Just wondering why such large numbers in Nigeria specifically - why not Indonesia, Congo or Colombia for example, where the Caravelle largely ended its days.

Okada and Kabo had large fleets before the final exodus from the UK.

Quoting EMAman (Reply 5):
will certainly have contributed to it having a higher rate of accident in later years than similar aircraft.

But how much was really the fault of the aircraft? Nigerian airlines have managed to crash 727's, MD81's, 737's and a lot of other older birds too.

Quoting EMAman (Reply 5):

I cant believe it has been 25 years now since the 1-11 was a regular visitor at BHX, never got to fly on one though.

Used to see them at LTN a lot too, how it all started at FR! Also the European ones latterly, I thought they operated for FR but I learned recently they actually subbed for U2 in the early days. That was about 20 years ago too.

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 6):

I have recently invested in a project in Nigeria to make a 1-11 airworthy again for domestic routes.

What , they didnt tell you in the small print that Airbus pulled all support for it?? I guess you will have to do research with it to class it as an experimental aircraft like NG do  
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Bongodog1964

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:54 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 12):

Just wondering why such large numbers in Nigeria specifically - why not Indonesia, Congo or Colombia for example, where the Caravelle largely ended its days.

Probably made sense for one Country to acquire the remaining decent airframes and the spares holdings. As previously mentioned they left Europe due to noise regulations, so still had hours left on them. There wouldn't have been enough of them to set up viable fleets in more than one or two places.

N14AZ

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:19 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 12):

I asked myself the same question when I saw this picture some years ago:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Captain Akinwale Makinde

longhauler

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 13):

Probably made sense for one Country to acquire the remaining decent airframes and the spares holdings.

Yes. Usually it starts with a purchase of a couple available aircraft. Obtained originally for various reasons, price usually being the big one. They usually come with spares, manuals, procedures, etc. as the original airline is disposing of the type.

Then after they are in service and working well, they start looking for more. With a flight department in place, with all the necessary ancillary requirements, it just makes sense to stick with that type. Soon, you end up with a whole fleet of a rare aircraft ... but it works for you!

Other examples might be the Vanguard at Europe Aero Service, when AC retired the type, or the DC-4M/C-4 at British Midland. A whole fleet was retired and a willing airline was able to acquire the whole lot, with all the additional support equipment. It is usually a cheap way to add a lot of additional lift.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Planesmart

Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:03 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 13):
Probably made sense for one Country to acquire the remaining decent airframes and the spares holdings. As previously mentioned they left Europe due to noise regulations, so still had hours left on them. There wouldn't have been enough of them to set up viable fleets in more than one or two places.

Yes. And in addition to noise, termination of manufacturer liability, limits to internal flights only, and/or adjoining nations agreeing not to comply with ICAO requirements in respect to levies and insurance compliance.

This is a thing of the past when the current generation of aircraft are looking for their last homes, due to software and diagnostic overheads. Will be straight to scrap.

These nations are, and will become even more so, targets for strategic alliances with US3, EU3 and ME3.

bennett123

Re: Why Did The BAC 1-11 End Up In Nigeria?

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:10 pm

Soren/Ralph

Beechfront condo in Arizona going cheap.

:)

readytotaxi

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Do you have pictures? Have a picture of some money. :biggrin:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

richcam427

Re: RE: Why Did The BAC 1-11 End Up In Nigeria?

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:40 pm

EMAman wrote:

I guess they ended up in Nigeria as they were sold cheaply and they met the demands of big growth and development there in the 1990's / 2000's.

The 1-11 was a very dated aircraft and the lack of modern equipment and flight protection laws/FBW etc will certainly have contributed to it having a higher rate of accident in later years than similar aircraft.

FBW and it's associated flight protection has nothing to do with accident rates. An incompetent pilot can crash an A320 as easily as he/she can crash a 737. Most pilots never even put the aircraft in such a situation as to require the FBW to intervene anyway.

rlwynn

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:48 pm

I would think it has much to do with being a former colony and the ease of doing business with England. That and language.
I can drive faster than you

Cunard

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:08 pm

rlwynn wrote:
I would think it has much to do with being a former colony and the ease of doing business with England. That and language.

I don't think anything which you have stated would have been an advantage as this is Nigeria we are discussing nothing has changed in the 30 years since these BAC1-11's found their way there.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos